• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Spray On Dash Board

sampa

Hey guys,

I recently did some touch up's in my car. After the paint work I so some small amount of spray paint dots (In sinhala "dalla") scattered around the dashboard. Please let me know how to clean the without damaging the dashboard and the meter panel.

Thanks in advance

Sampa

Whatever you use, don't use thinner or kerosene oil or anything like that!

I will wait for experts on the subject to comment. But left up to me, and if the dashboard surface was hard plastic (not leather, fake leather etc) I would use a mild abrasive material like toothpaste!

i know this is bad advice after what The Don said

but ive removed over-spryaed paint from a dashboard using a very little amount of thinner and then applied those dashboard shine thing and cleaned further.

I have the exact same overspray on my dashboard. I tried ammonia based window cleaner and it works, but it takes a lot of effort! I have since resorted to scraping it off using a piece of plastic with a blunt edge. The Don's idea is good, but don't use the 'gel' type toothpaste (Signal is fine). I'm going to use Brasso on it soon to see if it will buff out the overspray, fingers crossed!

I have the exact same overspray on my dashboard. I tried ammonia based window cleaner and it works, but it takes a lot of effort! I have since resorted to scraping it off using a piece of plastic with a blunt edge. The Don's idea is good, but don't use the 'gel' type toothpaste (Signal is fine). I'm going to use Brasso on it soon to see if it will buff out the overspray, fingers crossed!

mate dont use brasso, it ruin the dash.

it will end like like my roof beading before

I didn't mean the vinyl parts of the dash but the trim surrounding the radio etc. These are (were) supposed to be shiny polished black plastic so Brasso will work well here. For the vinyl I'm sticking with a blunt plastic edge. It's a tedious process but at least I won't damage anything.

Iso prpl Alcohol (sergical sprit ) will Nice for you.. its not hurt ur plastic / vinyl /Al surface..

I was going to suggest Surgical Spirit because it's safe on most surfaces. But this also would make the dash go dull. You'd have to use some sort of dashboard polish to restore the shine. Do a spot testing first. If your dash has a rough texture, you might have to use an old toothbrush.

As for the gauge cluster, use light duty 3M rubbing compound on a microfiber cloth and be really gentle.

Sorry bringing another issue .......Actually I wanted to open a thread on somewhat similar type of issue I am having. It is not paint dots but few stain marks/patches on the windows.Tried with glass cleaner, but couldn't get rid of them. I was told (by a painter) that thin sand paper with water will remove these but I was fussing due to fear that it will damage the glass. Can any of above solutions be applied in my case ? pls advise

Thanks,

Kuma

Surgical spirit might leave a white residue on some surfaces. Don't use Brasso if you dash has a texture, whatever gets in the cracks will show up when it dries, also Brasso is notorious for making matte surfaces shiny. It's fine for the gauge cluster window though, just make sure to use light amounts, if you rub too hard on one spot for too long you run the risk of making that area too concave, and you might start seeing odd reflections.

Edited by terrabytetango