• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3

sira

Guys

How often i must check the hydraulic system in my car.

i had issue with brake of my 98 honda civic last week ,now it was fixed.

So Just a curious that some of hydraulic parts espically break washers, calliper Orings....etc will may have worn as this 15 years old now

another thing

While i’m driving i can see/smell small amount of outside air coming in. Heavy smoke some time comes in. Where it normally coming form ?

Doors? Via AC ventilation door. Any idea?

Sira

Guys

So Just a curious that some of hydraulic parts espically break washers, calliper Orings....etc will may have worn as this 15 years old now

another thing

While i’m driving i can see/smell small amount of outside air coming in. Heavy smoke some time comes in. Where it normally coming form ?

Sira

About the outside air bit;Not an expert, mine does that too, happened to me when I drove through a thick smoke cloud. I could smell it a bit for a second or two. I guess that is normal because there should be a little bit of fresh air coming through, otherwise the oxygen levels would drop inside the car :)

Guys

another thing

Sira

The parts you mentioned do not require periodic inspection, but your mechanic when changing brake pads or brake shoes should perform an inspection to check for leaks and deterioration of rubber boots on brake washers and caliper (these boots braking can cause water to get in and rust the caliper pistons). You should also change the brake oil every year to prevent moisture creeping in and this would keep the brake system in good order.

The ventilation system has vents for fresh air to get into the system. You can usually close them but I don't think a car is meant to be airtight due to the reasons NRX has already explained.

The parts you mentioned do not require periodic inspection, but your mechanic when changing brake pads or brake shoes should perform an inspection to check for leaks and deterioration of rubber boots on brake washers and caliper (these boots braking can cause water to get in and rust the caliper pistons). You should also change the brake oil every year to prevent moisture creeping in and this would keep the brake system in good order.

The ventilation system has vents for fresh air to get into the system. You can usually close them but I don't think a car is meant to be airtight due to the reasons NRX has already explained.

I'm really fed up with going to mechanics now. there are mechanics really go deep in to problem and isolate the issue. some of then just changing part and it will never ending unless you spend 50K for 5K parts. now i'm doing the repairs by my own. Went thro'with the service manual and some videos on you tube...etc. i got some mechanics who can take a advise. i believe this is not a rocket science and if you have a interest and time you can do some repair by your own knowledge . i'm so happy that i managed to fix my break problem recently and happy to share the experience with other members.

thank you for the idea

sira

Edited by sira

I'm really fed up with going to mechanics now. there are mechanics really go deep in to problem and isolate the issue. some of then just changing part and it will never ending unless you spend 50K for 5K parts. now i'm doing the repairs by my own. Went thro'with the service manual and some videos on you tube...etc. i got some mechanics who can take a advise. i believe this is not a rocket science and if you have a interest and time you can do some repair by your own knowledge . i'm so happy that i managed to fix my break problem recently and happy to share the experience with other members.

thank you for the idea

sira

My congrats! That's the way to go. Keep it up.

As for outside air getting in, it is usually the AC fresh air vent. Although the car is not meant to be hermetically sealed you should not get exhaust smell inside to discomfort you. The usual culprit is the foam rubber seal on the fresh air inlet of the AC. My solution to the problem whenever I faced it was to seal off the AC fresh air vent from outside with a piece of rigid-foam and sealing tape. You can remove the scuttle panel and check how to block the air passage. Of course once you do it you will not be able use the fresh air circulation through AC vents. If u want to do a proper job you need to take out the AC blower from underneath the dashboard and remove the fresh air vent door with associated levers etc - bit of a cumbersome thing. Not worth the trouble IMO.

• Like 1

Yep, its the AC fresh air door not closing properly. In Eg/Eks its a sheet of foam pasted to thin metal door which will build up rust over time. As Rumesh mentioned you need to remove glove box and blower motor to access it. If you are lucky bit of WD 40 will do the job for you . In my case its not closing properly as lever mechanism was busted. So permenently closed it with sheet of foam and power connector to AC fresh air vent door motor was disconnected.

Yep, its the AC fresh air door not closing properly. In Eg/Eks its a sheet of foam pasted to thin metal door which will build up rust over time. As Rumesh mentioned you need to remove glove box and blower motor to access it. If you are lucky bit of WD 40 will do the job for you . In my case its not closing properly as lever mechanism was busted. So permenently closed it with sheet of foam and power connector to AC fresh air vent door motor was disconnected.

is that good to do

cant we make it working

thank you for the idea

sira

Can you share your experience with the brake problem ? :)

is that good to do

cant we make it working

It is always good to have the fresh air vent working. No doubt about it. But how often do you run your car with the fresh air vent open? Living and working in and around Colombo, I know I never do. If you run daytime in CMB with fresh air vent open everyday you will accumulate enough dust and smoke inside the AC system to clog up the filter and ducts before you know it. Of course if you need fresh air you can always open your windows without resorting to sucking dust and smoke through the AC filters and ducts. This however,does not apply if you are driving through a pristine countryside.

No it isn't good to do and HC suffocated and died last week.

Funeral this Saturday.

Ha.. ha..Got delayed to Sunday due to saturday on call duty! :) . You have a point there. But what I did was , just put the door in closed position like when you put into AC fresh air vent door off mode from dashboard.Ive noticed a another small rubber flap covering a another opening in the rear end of my car closd to the fuel lid.May be it has something to do with cabin air circulation or pressure balancing.

Edited by H.C

I did this earlier. so it is not easy you to remove the blower motor compartment while the AC evaporator is attached, so you have to release the gas and then remove both fan compartment and AC evaporator.

but. if you can remove the motor from underneeth the motor comparment, some how you can see the flap and apply some of ait tight meterial.

sira

I did this earlier. so it is not easy you to remove the blower motor compartment while the AC evaporator is attached, so you have to release the gas and then remove both fan compartment and AC evaporator.

but. if you can remove the motor from underneeth the motor comparment, some how you can see the flap and apply some of ait tight meterial.

sira

No mate,no need to remove upper part of the blower motor assembly. There are 3 size 10 screws in the bottom part of the blower motor and with it need to remove the glove box as well!

No mate,no need to remove upper part of the blower motor assembly. There are 3 size 10 screws in the bottom part of the blower motor and with it need to remove the glove box as well!

Ok. i did not try that way. thanks for hightlightng.

1. remove the fan motor

2. Remove 10 , 3mm screws and you can remove botton part of the box

after remove the botttom part. can you remove the upper part with the flap?

please confirm

sira

Finally managed to take out the ventilation door in the Motor compartment. There is no way to take out the motor compartment out . you must remove the evaporator box and the repair will be expensive because you need to fill the AC gas too

There are no 10 screws after remove the motor units. The compartment was fixed with metal clips so it was surrendered by the whole box

Spent 2 hours to take out the ventilation door. It was really tricky job. Need to unscrew small 2mm screws which is fixed to control axel . it was easy to remove and really hard to fix it back.

I did paste some sponge on the door and look it is now tightly closeting. Another thing is, for the best practice, the metal door angle for the hinge side needs to be re- angled. Because this door i think 1mm metal part and it could be bend due to the pressure of door seal.

sira

Ok. i did not try that way. thanks for hightlightng.

1. remove the fan motor

2. Remove 10 , 3mm screws and you can remove botton part of the box

after remove the botttom part. can you remove the upper part with the flap?

please confirm

sira