• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

Think Mitsubishi is trying to focus on core operations. The margins on these performance cars are really low, believe it or not. For them its a PR exercise rather than a money maker.

I have a feeling though they will do another range, probably not the same but based on the electric and hybrid car platforms, a bit like how F1 has evolved.

First they retire the Evo and yesterday Mitsubishi put out a press release announcing a bunch of updates (winker mirrors, change of blue color, new bumper for EXCEED and Super EXCEED) along with one sentence that, rather casually mind you, says that 2014 will be the last year for the Galant Fortis RALLIART and from 2015 only the standard sedans will be available. :sad-smiley-050: :sad-smiley-050: :sad-smiley-050: Wonder if this means the Lancer EX RALLIART will also disappear (anyone seen/heard anything ?).

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/publish/pressrelease_jp/products/2014/news/detail4795.html

24/7WallSt.com picked Mitusbishi in their ten brands to disappear in 2014 list last year. Taking their track record in to account that's some serious bad news for north american Mitus fans.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/05/23/ten-brands-that-will-disappear-in-2014/

It should've been named Joke, not Juke!

Couldn't agree more :D

LOL! I actually like the rear of the Juke, but overtake it and look at your rear-view mirror....O.o

:speechless-smiley-023: yeah makes me sick too.. wonder how on earth they came up with that design

Edited by kushan

24/7WallSt.com picked Mitusbishi in their ten brands to disappear in 2014 list last year. Taking their track record in to account that's some serious bad news for north american Mitus fans.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/05/23/ten-brands-that-will-disappear-in-2014/

Many have been predicting Mitsubishi car's downfall for a while now, though funny enough they out performed a lot of their Japanese counterparts. I think they are rationalising their product portfolio, and starting to concentrate on their core competencies. In the US they don't really have a good product offering so that has to change. Their European situation is a bit better, with their 4x4s always doing well (these are a little too small for the Americans methinks)

inside of the demio looks identical to the 2014 mazda3. The kodo design has translated well across the entire mazda range, but not too much of a fan of the front of the demio. sides and rear profile looks neat.

• 1 month later...

The Land Cruiser 70 series turns 30 this month. To celebrate it the Land Cruiser 70 series will be re-launched in Japan for 1 year (only) and for the first time ever will be available in pick-up form. Probably the cheapest LC70 anywhere in the world right now. A gasoline 4.0ltr V6 with a 5M/T comesin at 3.6-3.7 mil yen 9and that includes the special key box and documentation folder)! It was relaunched only last Monday and apparently they already have 750 units pre-sold...

The LC exhibition at Toyota MegaWeb seems to have had some awesome LCs

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2014/08/26/land-cruiser-motor-show/

Edited by iRage

Ah, I love the 70 series. I think you could still buy it brand new outside Japan. I've seen a few new ones in SL.

To be honest I would love one. The Land Rover may handle better, but these guys are the real kings of jungles and the desert.

Edited by The Don

Yes Don..the 70 series has been on sale all this time outside of Japan. They stopped selling it in Japan in (EDIT :) 2004 . Seen 10+ year old units going for sale at 2.5mil yen for a van and 3+mil or so for the wagon (granted they were diesels).

Edited by iRage

Apparently Toyota Lanka can get you a new 70 series on one of the current permits if you really want one. Sadly it doesnt get the awesome 4.5l turbodiesel V8 that the Aussies get, we get the old 1HZ 4.2 NA straight six diesel, which is still a pretty solid motor.

Strangely though the rear suspension is leafs, which is odd considering the 90s models had coils. Perhaps the leafs are more heavy duty

Well Toyota introduced the 70 series in the mid 80s in heavy and light duty form (the latter being more passenger oriented --> Land Cruiser II and Prado) which eventually got split in to the 70 series (heavy duty) and 90 series (light duty). I read somewhere that Toyota's reasoning for dropping the 70 series from the Japanese market was that it was too "commercial" (work-hors-ish ?) for the Japanese/Urban market.

http://www.toyota-global.com/showroom/vehicle_heritage/landcruiser/origin/

Hmm..I thought I saw a maroon/red LC 70 pickup in SL that had an air scoop on the hood. Maybe it was a grey/special import, after market addition ? or a fake hood :) <or my memory might be just mixing things up>

Well Toyota introduced the 70 series in the mid 80s in heavy and light duty form (the latter being more passenger oriented --> Land Cruiser II and Prado) which eventually got split in to the 70 series (heavy duty) and 90 series (light duty). I read somewhere that Toyota's reasoning for dropping the 70 series from the Japanese market was that it was too "commercial" (work-hors-ish ?) for the Japanese/Urban market.

http://www.toyota-global.com/showroom/vehicle_heritage/landcruiser/origin/

Hmm..I thought I saw a maroon/red LC 70 pickup in SL that had an air scoop on the hood. Maybe it was a grey/special import, after market addition ? or a fake hood :) <or my memory might be just mixing things up>

Ah that makes sense, so the land cruiser IIs and the Japanese Market Prados were the light duty versions, hence the coils!

Apparently Toyota Lanka can get you a new 70 series on one of the current permits if you really want one. Sadly it doesnt get the awesome 4.5l turbodiesel V8 that the Aussies get, we get the old 1HZ 4.2 NA straight six diesel, which is still a pretty solid motor.

Strangely though the rear suspension is leafs, which is odd considering the 90s models had coils. Perhaps the leafs are more heavy duty

Supra, do you have any idea of the costs, and what permit allows you to bring it in?

just 165BHP out of a 2L engine with "latest Skyactiv" technology for a sports roadster? seems a bit underpowered in my opinion.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/mx-5/65579/new-mazda-mx-5-2015-revealed-pics-specs-and-all-the-facts

civic type-R 2016 euro version will get over300HP with same displacement,it seems

and 2L engines with over250PS are already in Market by Euro makers..

Audi S3 and Golf R already has 300PS from the 2L engines,it seems.

http://www.autozeitung.de/sites/default/files/pdf/2014/05/AZ-11-2014-VT-Kompaktsportler-Daten-Tabelle.pdf

so I wonder if this "latest Skyactiv" technology is making more noise than it actually delivers?

Edited by RViji

just 165BHP out of a 2L engine with "latest Skyactiv" technology for a sports roadster? seems a bit underpowered in my opinion.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/mx-5/65579/new-mazda-mx-5-2015-revealed-pics-specs-and-all-the-facts

civic type-R 2016 euro version will get over300HP with same displacement,it seems

and 2L engines with over250PS are already in Market by Euro makers..

Audi S3 and Golf R already has 300PS from the 2L engines,it seems.

http://www.autozeitung.de/sites/default/files/pdf/2014/05/AZ-11-2014-VT-Kompaktsportler-Daten-Tabelle.pdf

so I wonder if this "latest Skyactiv" technology is making more noise than it actually delivers?

There was another thread you made the same comment and I beleive The Don and some other made it clear why this is the case and why Japanese cars are restricted. I guess you did miss the point :)

There was another thread you made the same comment and I beleive The Don and some other made it clear why this is the case and why Japanese cars are restricted. I guess you did miss the point :)

Hi,

I can understand and agree with those comments that skyactive technology is eco-oriented ,apply for a sedan like the Mazda6.

But not understand why this sports roadster,(which is competing in a similar segment like the Civic typr-R,Audi S3,Golf R) which also only gives similar HP as the Mazda 6 sedan.

And why implement the "gentlements agreement" you mentioned, for a car which will be sold in EU,US markets,with much higher powered competitors in the same segment .I think most the sales for this car is outside Japan.

So I think the point does not apply in this case.

I fell its Seriously underpowered as a 2L 4cyl :(

And also why they dropped the mazda pride Rotary-engine from RX,and go for a GDI instead?

But I like the new mean front design,compared to the "boat"like design of last model :)

Edited by RViji

Hi,

I can understand and agree with those comments that skyactive technology is eco-oriented ,apply for a sedan like the Mazda6.

But not understand why this sports roadster,(which is competing in a similar segment like the Civic typr-R,Audi S3,Golf R) which also only gives similar HP as the Mazda 6 sedan.

And why implement the "gentlements agreement" you mentioned, for a car which will be sold in EU,US markets,with much higher powered competitors in the same segment .I think most the sales for this car is outside Japan.

So I think the point does not apply in this case.

I fell its Seriously underpowered as a 2L 4cyl :(

And also why they dropped the mazda pride Rotary-engine from RX,and go for a GDI instead?

But I like the new mean front design,compared to the "boat"like design of last model :)

Well...whether the Miata competes in the segment that you have mentioned is debatable...you put it up against some hot hatches when the car isn't even a hot hatch. If at most it would have been competing with the likes of the S2000 (which is rumored to make a come back in a few years), and Toyota has been showing prototypes of car reminiscent of the S800 as well as some weird looking shootingbrake (which started off as a GT86 Shootingbrake...) then a GT86 convertible (which was I believe confirmed to never be produced).

The thing has been eagerly anticipated for here in Japan....whether that would translate to actual and higher sales figures than in European regions and the US will have to be seen.

The Miata has never been about tons of power...for what it didn't make up for in the power department it made up plentiful in weight (which is claimed to have reduced by almost 100kg ?), balance,handling, etc...which translated to fun. The NA was also rated in the mid 100s and if memory serves me right the NB and NC was not too far off. Also, I didn't read the articles sited on the above post but from roughly what I saw on the news the engines are not yet confirmed ?

• Like 3

Well...whether the Miata competes in the segment that you have mentioned is debatable...you put it up against some hot hatches when the car isn't even a hot hatch.

Also, I didn't read the articles sited on the above post but from roughly what I saw on the news the engines are not yet confirmed ?

Hi Bro,

I have not put the Miata against hot hatches,but I think the Miata is good enough to compete with compact hatchbacks like Renault Magane in the link.

It is a comparison of currently marketed European small hatchbacks with 2L engines.

some are even 2 years old now.

VWGolf R,Audi S3(200HP,380NM)

Seat Leon,Opel Astra(280HP,350NM)

Renault Megane(265HP,360NM)

Ford focus(250HP,360NM)

Mazda Miata(165HP,??NM) :(

(We can skip the BMW M235 because it is a 3L.)

But you are right about the weight reduction.

But still makes me confused why they do not/can not get more power out of the engines first.

even the recently released sporty 2L Lexus NX hybrid/GDI Engine seems to deliver with motor+Engine less power(238HP),than the above Euro models(sorry I could only read the numbers here,may be you can get more out of the article).

http://clicccar.com/2014/08/19/264845/2/

Edited by RViji

Looking back..I am confused you site the Civic Type-R and then in the next sentence state that Japanese don't put high performance figures when the Civic is Japanese ? LOL...but I guess you were strictly referring to the Miata in taht case...

The comparison in your list again to me is a bit unfair....you are comparing sports versions Golf R, Audi S3, Ford Focus (the one which you are quoting specs for is the ST ? The standard Focus 2.0L I think pushes 160 something HP...) against a stock Miata. Which is not a sports car but more or less a roadster. It woudl have been more fair if the compared model was something like a BBR MX-5 or even a MazdaSpeed version.

even the recently released sporty 2L Lexus NX hybrid/GDI Engine seems to deliver with motor+Engine less power(238HP),than the above Euro models(sorry I could only read the numbers here,may be you can get more out of the article).

http://clicccar.com/2014/08/19/264845/2/

Ironically test drove one day before yesterday...loved the 200T (granted lacks the firmness of a BMW SUV). The sporty one is not Hybrid ! It is a gasoline 2.0L turbo charged engine which produces 238 and 350Nm of torque. Hybrid is a 2.5L+motor producing 150 something at 200 something Nm of torque (different purpose thus I guess they do not see the purpose of high figures ? Still was pretty decent around town)

If you look at most Japanese engines (both normal and sporty variants) although the HP figures might seem low torque wise they do match up to other engines...after all as some may point out..it is not ALL about HP. Also every now and then with certain models they do blow some other cars out of the water (spec wise on paper).

I guess it is a matter of choice and philosophy ?

Edited by iRage

Looking back..I am confused you site the Civic Type-R and then in the next sentence state that Japanese don't put high performance figures when the Civic is Japanese ? LOL...but I guess you were strictly referring to the Miata in taht case...

The comparison in your list again to me is a bit unfair....you are comparing sports versions Golf R, Audi S3, Ford Focus (the one which you are quoting specs for is the ST ? The standard Focus 2.0L I think pushes 160 something HP...) against a stock Miata. Which is not a sports car but more or less a roadster. It woudl have been more fair if the compared model was something like a BBR MX-5 or even a MazdaSpeed version.

Ironically test drove one day before yesterday...loved the 200T (granted lacks the firmness of a BMW SUV). The sporty one is not Hybrid ! It is a gasoline 2.0L turbo charged engine which produces 238 and 350Nm of torque. Hybrid is a 2.5L+motor producing 150 something at 200 something Nm of torque (different purpose thus I guess they do not see the purpose of high figures ? Still was pretty decent around town)

I guess it is a matter of choice and philosophy ?

Hi,

It seems the 2015 Civic Type-R Engine has only one thing Japanese,the name Honda.

The engine system(Injectors,ECU,Hi-pressure fuel system and most sensors,software,mapping) itself is developed in Germany.(ironically by the same partners that developed the S3,Golf R with VW group)

The test prototypes were in the Autoblogs a lot,for the tests trying to beat the time record for the fastest front-wheel driven 2L hatchback at the notorius Nürburgring circuit and were spotted some times on European Highways .

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/honda-civic-type-r-auf-dem-autosalon-genf-top-civic-ab-2015-mit-320-ps-5723103.html

Sorry for my misunderstanding about the Lexus NX.

238HP with 2L 4cyl engine sounds in par with the European competition although still a bit behind.BUt as you mentioned,it is not all about HP.

Edited by RViji