• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Volvo S40 Advice

rayman

Question

Hi guys,

Am looking to buy a Volvo S40 automatic.

I am currently considering a pre-facelift car as opposed to buying a facelift because I couldnt find an automatic facelift S40.

What I want to know is are there any issues in general with a pre-facelift S40? In the local context of course. Also what would be the ideal price range for a well maintained example?

Thanks in advance.

13 answers to this question

Hi guys,

Am looking to buy a Volvo S40 automatic.

I am currently considering a pre-facelift car as opposed to buying a facelift because I couldnt find an automatic facelift S40.

What I want to know is are there any issues in general with a pre-facelift S40? In the local context of course. Also what would be the ideal price range for a well maintained example?

Thanks in advance.

Manufacturing year?

Diesel or Petrol?

Please do a search as well.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/13095-volvo-s40/

Manufacturing year?

Diesel or Petrol?

Please do a search as well.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/13095-volvo-s40/

Hi. I saw the previous threads. Considering Petrol only.

Anyway my query is regarding the pre-facelift model (Phase 1 , pre 2000). According to the internet, the face-lift S40 comes with some engine management upgrades which makes the car more "refined" along with some other cosmetic tweaks. Couldn't find much more info about that.

Just want to know if you guys have any ideas about the pre-facelift S40.

Thanks alot :)

I think pre-facelift means the earlier models got rear volvo badge mounted behind the left tail lamp and later models it shifted to upper middle of the boot. I am sorry I am experienced with diesel one only. (petrol one, I only had a chance to drive a short distance). I had a contact number of a person (technician) well knows about them and if I could find it I will PM you.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

I have driven a diesel,it was an awesome ride.I think petrol would be equally good,but fuel consumption should be a bit high.

but I have read somewhere the interior of Volvos tend to depreciate faster,compared to the German counterparts.

Regarding leather interior, sometimes it happens. Even dashboard is wrapped with leather. All depend on how it maintaned.

Yes, S40 is an awesome ride. Full of driving plesure.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

We had a user on this forum who had a diesel S40 and had to do a couple of rebuilds before 250K and he was the first owner. Not sure what wrong with that car.

The easiest S40 to maintain would be the ones which came fitted with the 1.8 Mitsubishi engines, but they tend to be GDi so not sure where that leaves that argument.

I have driven a diesel,it was an awesome ride.I think petrol would be equally good,but fuel consumption should be a bit high.

but I have read somewhere the interior of Volvos tend to depreciate faster,compared to the German counterparts.

snake_01.jpg

Edited by VVTi

I have used two pre-facelift S40s in the past (both 2.0L non turbo). Both cars had over 100K miles on the clock with absolutely no engine issues. Both did about 12 to 14Km per Ltr depending on driving style & traffic conditions. I've driven a 2003 (facelift) S40 1.9 turbo diesel (Renault engine) which did 21Km per Ltr.

The S40's Issues were mainly suspension related. I.e. shocks, bushes, rack ends etc. However most of the smaller roads in Colombo were not rubberized (not carpeted as some would say) at the time.

Volvo leather seats in that generation of cars tend to crack in our climate, so try to find one that has been less frequently exposed to the sun. One of my S40's had velvet seats and I prefered that because there was no sliding on the seat while cornering.

I used to have a contact at the Volvo service centre. PM me if you still need it and I will try to get back in touch with him.

• Like 1

I have used two pre-facelift S40s in the past (both 2.0L non turbo). Both cars had over 100K miles on the clock with absolutely no engine issues. Both did about 12 to 14Km per Ltr depending on driving style & traffic conditions. I've driven a 2003 (facelift) S40 1.9 turbo diesel (Renault engine) which did 21Km per Ltr.

The S40's Issues were mainly suspension related. I.e. shocks, bushes, rack ends etc. However most of the smaller roads in Colombo were not rubberized (not carpeted as some would say) at the time.

Volvo leather seats in that generation of cars tend to crack in our climate, so try to find one that has been less frequently exposed to the sun. One of my S40's had velvet seats and I prefered that because there was no sliding on the seat while cornering.

I used to have a contact at the Volvo service centre. PM me if you still need it and I will try to get back in touch with him.

Thank you. Your post was very informative. This car is for my brother, he had checked out a 1998 200bhp 2.0L T4, Auto, and the owner has told him it did 12kmpl on average and had shown him the readout on the trip-computer display. I was highly skeptical of this but your feedback seems to corroborate with it. Thank you for the offer. I will let you know if I need it.

Cheers

8 hours ago, Anjana Gunasekera said:

Hi Guys

I saw a couple of S40s up for sale for a relatively low price around 2600000 ish

Is it worth that price?
it is a diesel model with 2000cc engine and manual transmission

Any difficulty in parts or repairs

thanks 

Hi Anjana

I removed this post from other threads. By making the post under just one thread makes it easier for members to reppl and for you and others find responses