• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Finally Got Money Now What !. Starlet, Kelisa, 110 Any Other? I'm Confused

hiru555

Question

Update : Bought a starlet. Details see the thread.

Hi fellows. My question is a big and like a question paper :) but hope it will help you to give me a good answer.

My requirements are

• Manual gear car with good fuel economy.
  • budget around 1.1-1.4 and max 1.65
  • A good resale value. not sure how long Im going to keep it. Maybe from 3 to 5+ years
  • I prefer diesels because we own a townace lotto van (57-xxxx) in our family for about 10years now. Did a full engine overhaul about 8 years back@ edirisinhas and still no any problem.
  • I don't want a fast car and ok with the town-ace like performance and feel.
  • Don't care about boot space but leg space will be needed.
  • Prefer hatchbacks but sedans are too ok.
  • My monthly traveling will be bellow 500km but if its good for pocket will do more.

I've read over 2,3 times the threads that talks about above models in topics. But i need more to decide.

Edited by hiru555

Today I went to do the wheel alignment and it seems like there is a slight power steering oil leak. and it have effected to one of the front side bush too. Is it good to put p/s rack seal set and mend it or replace the entire rack with a good recondition one. recondition one will cost like 14k. Any comments on that ?

:) White is too good but not planing to go for white. But It will cost less compered to other colors. While i was hunting for a car, I saw "Yellow-green metallic opal" car and "Light blue metallic" one. they look very very nice to me. Think they are original colors (http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/toyota/starlet/1997_12/4656/ )

The current color is faded. and there are scratches and some other marks all over the body. Its clearly visible the original state of the paint is preserved under the ducky door. which is dark blue metallic and it too beautiful. Im going to light blue metallic because no need to worry about RMV and Its too nice. Still even hadn't had time to do the cut and polish.

Alloys will come little later like in next year. Currently i'm happy with the new rim cups. This one have 175 size tires, in next tire change going to put 155/80R13 which is manufacturer rerecorded. But if budget allows I'm going to put glanza front buffer with fog lamps it adds a entire new look in front.

For the power steering rack, the better option would be to get the current rack repaired if the only issue is an oil leak. Get a good mechanic to do the job and you'll be fine. Replacing the rack is just an unnecessary overhead IMO.

On paint, I agree with The Don and think you should keep the original colour. Even if its a different shade of the same colour (I.e. light blue as you've said) or a completely different colour (i.e. White), the correct process of re-painting will still be the same if you're not re-painting to match the existing colour. Your car will need to be dismantled totally to do a perfect job. Remember that even the engine bay and hard to reach areas such as under the dashboard and inside the door panels are painted in the stock colour.

As for changing the tire size, I think you will be disappointed after switching from 175 to 155 because your car will start to look like a starlet with tires from a Bajaj Pulsar. :S Wide tires look better and I think you should continue to use them if the previous owner has not changed the profile of the tire (height of the sidewall).

My two cents...

As for changing the tire size, I think you will be disappointed after switching from 175 to 155 because your car will start to look like a starlet with tires from a Bajaj Pulsar. :S

Lol.

Thanks mate. My concern is will the leak will be ok for few years after its repaired. do you now how the cost will be roughly for the kit.

Edited by hiru555

If the paint you have is completely Sh*t, repaint it with the same colour, it will be a lot cheaper as it saves you from removing the internals of the car,

After the things are removed and refitted things won't be the same again, plastics will start to rattle like hell,

and you will have to keep it parked for a long time in the garage and the whole thing will be a "Koti walge",

So i sugest you keep the original colour, do a complete respray with the same colour and from the money you saved buy a set of rims

What clarkson says is true. Even if is a lighter blue, still colour change is a big deal. And unless yo fully strip the car it will be a half assed job. I went from blue to white and process took about 3 months, and estimated cost for my car was 162,000. Tis was a complete strip down, so that you can't tell it was blue earlier. Even the floorboard was resprayed for authenticity.

Like I said, a good cut and polish will help. If not, spray again fully in the same colour. That should be arond 60-80,000 depending on what paints and lacquers you use.

• Like 1

+1 clarkson.

Experienced a total colour change on a corona AT 190 from black to white few years back.

process took more than 5 weeks at a local garage.

and the paint was superb with low heat inside the cabin on daytime due to white paint.

but there were rattles from plastics everywhere,especially from dash which we were unable to locate nor rectify.which were quite annoying on uneven roads.

my best bet is to not change colours.

repaint the original colour.

you may save time money an probable rattles.

Edited by chan5

Since this is your first car expending too much on it will not be a good idea. Get a cut and polish done. Fix the leaks and minor things . Run for some time.

If you are happy with it think of big work like respraying then.

I've used an EP91 for almost 9 years. The biggest problem I had was seats getting stains from the inside.

Not enough legroom for rear passengers comparing with the other hatches of the same class.