• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid Vs Non-Hybrid

bycap

There are no hybrid users in Sri Lanka who bought them to 'save the world'. They just buy it because they are said to be 'economical' and look modern. Some buy it as a trend. They are not that economical after all. One of my friend prius 2011 owner said averagely it does about 18km/l on long runs. Even 2008 axio does somewhat around 17km/l on long runs(without A/c). The most frightening part is that they have to change the battery in 5-7 years depending on the condition of it. It also costs about 500k-600k. And during accidents there is a high risk of electric leaks and get the vehicles burnt.(few incidents happened already). If they really want to save the planet they should go for electric vehicles such as Nissan leaf.

Prius doing 17+km/L in Colombo city traffic and 22+km/L for long run. (Those data are tested by fuel full tank). But non-hyhbrid Axio 17km/L is extreme condition shown by car reading. It will not do average more than 13km/L.

I could guarantee that, with comparing same category(size) Toyota vehicles, hybrid is doing 60%++ than non-hybrid which is massive achievement.

Edited by gayanath

What would be the total number of rechargings cycle of your average Hybrid battery?

Do you mean the Cycle Life of hybrid batteries? It is related to the Depth of Discharge (DOD) and is typically something like 3000 cycles at 100% DOD and 5000 cycles at 60% DOD. Here the battery under test is considered dead once it reaches less than 60% of the assembled capacity.

Edited by Rumesh88

on making the decision of my next car.it is absolutely a daily runner.

I do run 4500Kms per month.

which is average 64km drive with zero traffic per day.around 80-100kmph.

two long trips around 800kms each per month.

almost all the time i have no traffic.

i use car daily and almost everyday and being outstation it is difficult to hang up with repairs of my old diesel.

i have done some calculation based on the details i got from owners of each car.please share your views on this.this car is only for 2 year time.

i have made assumptions about fuel price and market value.may someone can shed some light on.

Cnh5nze.jpg?1

According to your usage pattern (as with no traffic)

Fuel Average = Prius 25+ km/L Allion = 16 km/L (I guess Allion is doing less than that) Note: Prius is doing only 15-18 in city traffic but in your case it will do 25+ guaranteed.

Service Cost = if Allion cost 6000 per month, Prius cost 4000 per month (its service intervals are pretty long if you follow manufacture recommendation and less maintenance required for most of the parts)

Depreciation = Allion is also depreciating now like as hybrids

Propose to recalculate by these data.

Edited by gayanath

True. That's what Toyota has designed it for. There is absolutely no requirement to keep the battery fully charged at a given time. However, if I may clarify my point above, a hybrid car would be more efficient in terms of fuel efficiency whether it is in traffic or otherwise. Of course, continuous use of the battery would weaken it but that is something to do with reliability not efficiency. Once the hybrid battery reliability is gone vehicle efficiency too follows suit.

Tell me about it...just glad it is not our own car :) According to the renters the battery needs to be changed out along with some other parts. The guys actually tried to get us to pay for it :D

Like I said...9kmpl...for a 1800cc car sitting in traffic I think is pretty reasonable :D

• Like 1

Yes, like in a phone battery. You have only X amount of cycles. What is the same for car?

It is not as simple as in a phone battery for the reason in a hybrid car the battery is charged/discharged on the go. As I said before the cycle life is linked to Depth of Discharge and with the kind of batteries in Prius the DOD is set at around 10% of charge for a cycle (that's the percentage charge restored by the engine when it starts and is used solely for the purpose of charging the battery). At this sort of DOD cycles the battery is supposed to do around 300,000 recharge cycles. If you assume two such cycles per km then the battery would last for 150,000km.

Edited by Rumesh88