• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Option For 3M - 3.3M

Spock

Question

Hi Guys,

I have been searching for an automatic Lancer EX for the past 2 months and seems like they are extinct. I am approaching the 3rd month vehicle less and I think now it's time for me to think of a secondary option. If I cannot find an EX within my budget in the coming month I will go for the secondary option. So I need your support to figure out the best vehicle as I had only been focusing on Lancer EX thus far. Basically following are my requirements.

Good handling and performances

Fuel consumption should be at least 9-10kmpl as i travel 50kms per day

comfortable ride

Reasonable second hand market value and should be able to sell it without much fuss

I have narrowed down my search to following options. Please give me your views, pros and cons of below models. Please do let me know if there are better options available for my price tag.

Honda Civic FD1/FD4 (Concerns about FC as people say it is around 7kmpl mark and low ground clearance)
Mazda Axela 2009/10 (Not sure about FC and my friend having 07 Axela is unable to sell it for at least 2.7M. Bought for 3M in 2013)

Axio 07/08 (Contradicts the first requirement and looks ugly)

Allion 03-05 (Too old and contradicts with the first requirement)

Rav4 pre 2005 model

Daihatsu Terrios 07/08

Suzuki Grand Vitara 07/08

Thanks in advance for your invaluable help!!!

Edited by Spock

What is a RAV4 pre 2007 model ? That can be any RAV4 from the beginning :) and why pre 2007 ?

The A30 series came out in late 2005 and there was a facelift in late 2008. So everything between that time is pretty much the same. However most of the ones I've come across run over 4.5mil for an AWD and about 4mil for a 2WD variant. Granted u do get ones cheaper depending on the condition. I guess what fits your budget is the A20 series between late 2000and late 2005, of which I think the facelift version, late 2003 onwards, would be the newest and probably the technically better option.

HOWEVER, DO NOT EXPECT TO GET ANYTHING MORE THAN 7 (if u r gentle) UNLESS U WILL BE DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY ALL THE TIME. On weeks where I dont drive during rush hour traffic I manage 7 to a bit less than 8 in an AWD A30, but that really is not normal is it?

As for ease of resale, well a Rav4 wont be as easy as an Allion or Axio.

Handling, well it is not a sedan so not as nimble, but always found it much lighter and easier to handle than the CR-Vs of the same generation. I have owned/used all generations of the Rav4 and loved it more than others of its kind and it is definetely a nicer one to drive than Toyota's other mainstream cookie cutter cars.

Not to discourage u but maybe a Rav4 is not the best for your needs?

Edited by iRage

Ahh its a typo. I should have said pre 2005 model. I have used a 2002 4WD Rav4 back in 2007 for 3 months and it returned 9kmpl on average. But that was in a different country where traffic was not this much hectic. Thats basically why the idea of Rav4 popped into my mind and I thought it might return the same fuel figures. And I should say that I liked the handling of Rav4 compared to all the other Toyota Sedans I have driven.

But given your experience, yes it might not be the best fit for me :(

Well if you want a pre 2005 A20 series Rav4; it did vome in a 1.8L 2WD variant which people claimed to get a bit more kms with petrol. Only driven one once, it was ok; but I wont be surprised if it gets over worked when the car is overloaded or going up hills.

Yes, it is hard to vompare furl figures from different countries. I used the exact same Rav4 in japan b4 bringing it here and there I got 8-9 easily. Same model in East Timor I barely got 6 and the roads were always empty (granted distancevdriven was like 7 kms and the engine barely reached optimal temp). Same model in Tanzania I averaged 7 in really really heavy traffic.

So yeah...

Thanks for your views iRage. I got to drive the Rav4 in Kenya and I should say that particular vehicle was in fabulous condition and had less than 10k mileage under it. Given you experience I too doubt if it would be able to return fuel figures anywhere near that. May be it would be good to stay away from it after all since I intend to use my next vehicle for at least 5 years.

Do you guys have any experiences with the other vehicles mentioned... :sleeping-smiley-001:

I know of an Axela 09 owner who is willing to give out his for 3.45M. With some bargaining I might be able to get it for at least 3.35M. He claims that the car does 10kmpl in city limits and 14kmpl outstation. But I dont believe Axela can pull off those figures unless going down a hill. :D By any chance do you own an Axela. If so what are the actual FC figures in city limits.

Also I am a bit scared to go for Axela since my friend couldnt sell his one for 5 months now. The best offer he got was 2.55M. :sad-smiley-067:

I know of an Axela 09 owner who is willing to give out his for 3.45M. With some bargaining I might be able to get it for at least 3.35M. He claims that the car does 10kmpl in city limits and 14kmpl outstation. But I dont believe Axela can pull off those figures unless going down a hill. :D By any chance do you own an Axela. If so what are the actual FC figures in city limits.

Also I am a bit scared to go for Axela since my friend couldnt sell his one for 5 months now. The best offer he got was 2.55M. :sad-smiley-067:

Sorry brother, I don’t own an Axela, but I have been in one, and I can recommend it, better handling than my Allion 260. I'm not sure about fuel figures but for the small time I drove that car it did around 9kmpl. I don’t think you should be too much concerned about second hand market before even buying the car, for a 2007 axela I think 2.7 is the going rate. Your friends car probably have issues, also don’t rely on SL car market, today they may ask it for 2.55 but tomorrow it can go up to 3m, so don’t worry, besides BL series is newer it will have a better market. oh and the only issue I had with the axela was ground clearance, seemed a bit low for me.

Edited by asrock

Being a middle class citizen I think I always have to give it some thought about the second hand market and resale value. And the only time I can be concerned of that is before buying the car. After buying it I will have to live with the consequences. So I need to get it right. I know Toyota might be the best option for me but I have used 3 Toyotas and there is no fun in using a Toyota and Im usually an aggressive driver. Also I have been in my friends car and there is no apparent problem I could see. Why it cannot attract a good buyer is beyond me and I was forced to think that its the crazy mindset of Sri Lankans because I know how Mazdas are treated in Europe market.

Also I need some good ground clearance as I live in a semi urban area. Never thought Axela had ground clearance issues.

He can't post a link because it's against the forum rules to post links from other car sale sites! If you've been searching for a car for months, you've surely come across the [removed] site?

Edited by The Don
Don't help the guy. Not the first time

Yeah at first i ddnt realize it :speechless-smiley-004: He is actually referring to the car I mentioned as Overpriced EX. Owner is quoting ridiculously high 3.8M for that. N there are no other ones for sale. I went through all the "quick" cars

Looks lyk I have to give up on the Lancer EX dream :speechless-smiley-019:

Fuel figures for Axela 2009 is about right. I get those figures on outstation (Colombo-Kandy) and city (8 - 10). It's a nice car and an enjoyable drive. I kinda felt like I cheated on Honda since had 3 Civics before but Axela really changed my mind.

I was on the fence for FD1 but dashboard of FD1 is so boring and jurassic era compared to Axela. It was quite dissapointing. FD fuel is pretty much same as far as I know, if not worse than Axela.

There was a time people steered clear from buying Honda's but now it sells like hot cakes. With Mazda's recent improvements I'm sure in couple years it will be a hot brand in SL as well.

Thanks for the info Knight. People say various things about the stiff suspension of the older shell. Is there there in the 2009 one as well.

And yeah Civics sell faster than Toyotas it seems. A guy posted a FD4 day before yesterday and when I called him today he said he sold it :speechless-smiley-006:

And yeah Civics sell faster than Toyotas it seems. A guy posted a FD4 day before yesterday and when I called him today he said he sold it :speechless-smiley-006:

Nice powers of deduction, Sherlock. Congrats.

A guy sold his Civic within 2 days of advertising. Therefore, Civics sell faster than Toyotas.

• Like 1

Dont bite ur head off Crosswind..i wasnt dishing any facts..Jst stated wat i saw for past 1 month period...N i seriously hope there will be a time in SL where Hondas, Lancers and Mazdas sell faster than Toyotas :sport-smiley-004:

If the only reason you're avoiding Mazdas is because of stiff suspension and difficulty flipping it, there's a better course of action.

1. Test drive a few and see for yourself whether it is indeed as uncomfortable as you are imagining it to be. It's a bit stiffer so that it can handle better and you might even end up liking how it behaves on the road. Don't rely on hearsay!

2. When the time comes, give yourself a little bit more time to make the sale. You will eventually find a buyer if you keep the car in decent shape. And as you are buying used, you're already cushioned as the car has already taken the brunt of the depreciation caused by the market perception and the obvious drop from brand new price.

While it is true that resale value is something to think about for us common folk, but when this becomes the primary factor, you just end up buying crappy cars.

• Like 1

@Spock, I was in a similar situation before buying my Mazda. People around me told me all sort of things. But I knew, most of them didn't know anything about the car they are talking about. So, I took thinks to my hand. Went through almost all threads about Mazda Demio in this forum. That was enough for me. I spent 1.5 months in a hunt for a good specimen and eventually found one. Next day at office, I was offered Rs. 100,000/= more for my car. That guys is ready to buy my car whenever I'm ready to sell if he is not settled for another car by then. It's been 1 year and 2 months since I bought the car. I'm really happy with it.

I hope same is valid for Mazda Axela as well. IMO, Hoonigan has the best advice for you.

Hi Mate,

I drive FD1 2008 brand new import. Here's my experience on your concerns...

- Good handling and performances - well balanced car returning expected honda performance

- Fuel consumption should be at least 9-10kmpl as i travel 50kms per day - 8 max in city (with smooth paddling, may return better FC if tried paddle shifting which i did not try)

- comfortable ride - Love the comfort, cant complain on ground clearance too

- Reasonable second hand market value and should be able to sell it without much fuss - always there's a good market for a well maintained FD1 (hard to find as one of my friend also looking for a one since Feb)

Overall I'm delighted with the ride, got for 3.1m from a known person (now the market varies from 3.25-3.5m)

All the best