• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Prius

Iced-T

Question

What do u guys think about the new Toyota Prius?

Will this car be a good daily runner?

can it survive the hardship and perils of our Lankan roads?!?! there seems to be a lot of computers inside.

Also has anyone driven a vehicle with the information displayed in the center of the vehicle? Is possible to get used to that?

I do about 50km per day. I do not like stopping at petrol sheds. I want something super quiet, comfy as possible and a big boot.

Also, what are the other options that I have?

Tesla is available in Sri Lanka? Who is the agent.

Yes, I've seen a few unreg ones on the "quick" site during the past few months. I don't think there's an agent yet (there wasn't one the last time I checked) so finding parts / maintaining won't be easy.

I am pretty sure.. :)

I drive from colombo to Negombo 4 to 6 days a week.... its a very very tiring drive. On the colombo side both ways is full of traffic. and on the negombo side its bad roads ( both cases i cant go very fast to enjoy shifting through gears)

The only stretch where there is no traffic is on the highway, and on it I will need to be cruising at 80 or 100kmph ( no real acceleration there either).

I am looking for a quiet car so that I can listen to the radio.. or just relax while cruising along. Something soft to soak up the bumps and which would give me trouble free motoring.

But I am sure if u give the beans to any car it would make a decent sound right? ( I am generally soft on the gas pedal)

I was just suggested by a friend to look at the outlander PHEV.... any thoughts?

The Outlander sounds like overkill for your requirements.I would go for a bit used Euro diesel car,which is super quiet at Highway speeds and also at low speeds inside(better sound proofing in cabin)and way ahead in comfort compared to the Priass.

I don't know jack about the Pirus but I have the same issue as you where I'm always on the highway and need a car which is quiet and soaks up the bumps so I can commute with minimal fuss.

Having cycled through multiple Nissan's, (Teana, Sylphy and Sunny of various vintages) a Mazda 3, a VW diesel and a couple of upmarket Euro petrol cars ( A6 and E Class sedans) I keep going back to the 2.5L Nissan Teana as I find it offers the best value for money ( comfort vs price).

The Teana, is quiet but the CVT does whine a bit if you drive it aggressively, its certainly not a driver's car. However if you have a light civilized approach to getting on and off the power its very quiet and puts on speed with an uncanny quietness. It makes for a very quiet (relatively cheap) highway cruiser with very little engine noise or vibration and its cabin is quite well appointed for that price range. Unlike some other cars that are great at low speeds but terribly skittish at higher speeds ( the 2015/ 2014 Hyundai Elantra comes to mind) I find that its a very predictable car which remains quite planted at highway speeds and beyond.

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Any chance your dads Lancer (c12 i assume?) is up for sale :D ???

Not right now sorry :) .

I am currently using it as a project car.. trying to restore everything properly... and taking my own sweet time about it.

Maybe once its done.... He might consider selling it.

I just drove the Mazda 6... what an amazing car! It was a 2014 model 2.5Ltr with about 25k mileage. The car is huge!!! and like reviewers state the ride is actually quite firm.. not bone jarring but its like the car is always propped to perform...

I have an appointment today to view a 1.8T Audi A4.. also 2014 model... apparently with about 18k on the clock. Cant wait to try it out.

I just drove the Mazda 6... what an amazing car! It was a 2014 model 2.5Ltr with about 25k mileage. The car is huge!!! and like reviewers state the ride is actually quite firm.. not bone jarring but its like the car is always propped to perform...

I have an appointment today to view a 1.8T Audi A4.. also 2014 model... apparently with about 18k on the clock. Cant wait to try it out.

You'll be better off with Mazda 6 than Audi.A4...

Toyota or Mazda could also become a money pit if not properly maintained.Mazdas share many parts with Ford,there designers are European.Thats why they have closer resemblance to Euros than Japs. Comparing Mazda with Audi is like ,hmmmm....no comments ?

Coz first, he was complaining that Audi will become a money pit after 5 years.. second he liked the Mazda 6 experience .Just simple as that..

Ah I see. Well then I guess I agree with that statement a bit, as I recall that even simple maintenance such as replacing brakes or replacing the battery was considerably more expensive on the Audi / Merc / VW : I recall once getting a bill for a battery and then another bill with FOUR hours of labour to install the said battery. Needless to say there was a bit of moisture around the corners of my eyes as I paid up that day !!

Comparatively I hardly spent any money on the Mazda 3 when I had that (It did rust like no body's business though, which has put me off buying any more Mazdas to this date). Even the OEM air filters etc were super cheap and DYI, which was not the case on the euros...

The Audi / Merc option is awesome as a family car but I guess they don't really work too well as everyday commuter cars that rack up major km's each month, due to the higher maintenance costs- well at least for the likes of me that is...so between the Audi and the Mazda 6 I'd vote for the 6 as the better commuter car as well, just on that fact.

Edited by Kavvz

Ah I see. Well then I guess I agree with that statement a bit, as I recall that even simple maintenance such as replacing brakes or replacing the battery was considerably more expensive on the Audi / Merc / VW : I recall once getting a bill for a battery and then another bill with FOUR hours of labour to install the said battery. Needless to say there was a bit of moisture around the corners of my eyes as I paid up that day !!

Comparatively I hardly spent any money on the Mazda 3 when I had that (It did rust like no body's business though, which has put me off buying any more Mazdas to this date). Even the OEM air filters etc were super cheap and DYI, which was not the case on the euros...

The Audi / Merc option is awesome as a family car but I guess they don't really work too well as everyday commuter cars that rack up major km's each month, due to the higher maintenance costs- well at least for the likes of me that is...so between the Audi and the Mazda 6 I'd vote for the 6 as the better commuter car as well, just on that fact.

I've always wondered, do you live in Lanka or elsewhere? It's the Mazda rust issues that you've had to deal with that made me wonder because you never really hear about modern Mazdas having rust issues in SL but it is a common problem in the US especially in snow heavy states.

Toyota or Mazda could also become a money pit if not properly maintained.Mazdas share many parts with Ford,there designers are European.Thats why they have closer resemblance to Euros than Japs. Comparing Mazda with Audi is like ,hmmmm....no comments

You really need to update your knowledge of the Automotive world a LOT. Mazda does not "share many parts with Ford" anymore, Mazda USED to be in an alliance with Ford but that ended a couple of years ago and the current batch of Mazdas have no relation to any Ford products (Except for the BT50 pickup which is a rebadged Ranger).

As to comparing Mazda with Audi, having experience with both I can tell you that it's surprising how close a Mazda 6 feels to an Audi product overall. It's obviously not quite the same experience (an Audi will always be an Audi) but it's close enough in all areas that you don't feel like you're missing out by going for the Jap product.

Yes Mazda is the closest you could get to a Euro,that explains Mazdas being most popular jap brand in Europe. As I said,I met a Dutch couple about 6years ago,who were newly hired to work in Hiroshima as designers.So these European designed products are out now.But its not the same as an Audi;Ride,comfort,Status,handling and if you pay attention to small design details still not there in my opinion.

Yes Mazda is the closest you could get to a Euro,that explains Mazdas being most popular jap brand in Europe. As I said,I met a Dutch couple about 6years ago,who were newly hired to work in Hiroshima as designers.So these European designed products are out now.But its not the same as an Audi;Ride,comfort,Status,handling and if you pay attention to small design details still not there in my opinion.

Clearly it's not the same as an Audi, if it were the same as an Audi then it would have the attendant Audi price tag wouldn't it ? The point is with a car like the Mazda 6 you can have 90% of the experience you get from a German car at 60-70% of the price, which is a good deal in my eyes.

Hi guys.. here is an update.. I drove both cars the Audi A4 and the Mazda 6 and this is my personal opinion.

First of all the mazda is an amazing car to drive on a smooth road. I am sure it would also handle pretty well because of the way it is set up. I noticed that there is always certain amount of road noise that enters into the cabin even at low speeds. The suspension is firm!!! heat doesnt enter the cabin.. its well insulated. The car feels lighter compared with the Audi A4. It a very smooth car to drive but I felt that this is not the machine for me.

There is only 1 gripe I have with the Audi and that is the CVT gear box; in stop and start traffic there is a small jerk when shifting from 1 to 2 this happens when the car moves very slowly (you wont feel this unless you are really looking for a fault in this car). The car is very well put together feels very solid and planted. The ride is very quiet and comfortable (the suspension is set up very similar to the mazda tho.. firm and propped to perform). The car does not have low profile tires (unlike the mazda) and this really helps with the ride.

I am really amazed with the quietness and refinement of this car... its surreal!!! and this is why i selected it as my daily driver.

Thanks everyone for ur input... its much appreciated :)

1415522047368.jpg

Edited by Iced-T
  • Like 1

Clearly it's not the same as an Audi, if it were the same as an Audi then it would have the attendant Audi price tag wouldn't it ? The point is with a car like the Mazda 6 you can have 90% of the experience you get from a German car at 60-70% of the price, which is a good deal in my eyes.

Agreed.

My experience with the Mazda 6 stems from the first gen Mazda 6 ( 2002–2008) and that was an amazing car on the highway. The driving position is bang on, and it offered quiet unassuming performance. Its solid performance was one of the main reasons why I considered buying a Mazda in the first place as my daily driver. (The other reason was that every time I was in a Mazda 3 rental I walked away with the feeling that it was the best driving affordable car / economy car out there on the rental lot- The Mazda 3 is amazing value when you consider how nice the interior is and how strong of a performer it is ( in my humble opinion its the transmission that really set it a part from its Nissan Sylphy, Honda Civic, Toyota Axio competition, but that's just me)

I've always wondered, do you live in Lanka or elsewhere? It's the Mazda rust issues that you've had to deal with that made me wonder because you never really hear about modern Mazdas having rust issues in SL but it is a common problem in the US especially in snow heavy states.

You're right, on the newer Mazdas (2009 onwards) the word is that they've fixed the rust issue. My Mazda was I believe a 2009 or a 2008 (it was a while ago forgive me and I've had a number of cars since then) and not only did it have paint bubbling in the problem areas (between the side windows, and on the rear quarter panels- I didn't have any rust on the boot) but I remember looking at it in horror when I took it in for oil changes as the whole underneath of the car including the rear and front suspension parts, side rocker panels etc was one long sea of red-brown rust! We had a VW as well in the family at the time that was driven in similar conditions and despite the VW being the older car, that thing in comparison, was pristine. Mazda really cheaped out on the rust proofing back then on those models for sure!

Having said that my current Nissan has two small rust spots developing where the chrome trim piece on the boot is attached. Its apparently a known issue that is occurs due to how the metal tabs on the chrome piece rub and vibrate against the finished paint surface of the boot; and Nissan fixes it by installing small rubber washers on the tabs and repainting the boot free of charge overseas, but I am not sure if SL owners will get the same benefit / concession.

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Hi guys.. here is an update.. I drove both cars the Audi A4 and the Mazda 6 and this is my personal opinion.

First of all the mazda is an amazing car to drive on a smooth road. I am sure it would also handle pretty well because of the way it is set up. I noticed that there is always certain amount of road noise that enters into the cabin even at low speeds. The suspension is firm!!! heat doesnt enter the cabin.. its well insulated. The car feels lighter compared with the Audi A4. It a very smooth car to drive but I felt that this is not the machine for me.

There is only 1 gripe I have with the Audi and that is the CVT gear box; in stop and start traffic there is a small jerk when shifting from 1 to 2 this happens when the car moves very slowly (you wont feel this unless you are really looking for a fault in this car). The car is very well put together feels very solid and planted. The ride is very quiet and comfortable (the suspension is set up very similar to the mazda tho.. firm and propped to perform). The car does not have low profile tires (unlike the mazda) and this really helps with the ride.

I am really amazed with the quietness and refinement of this car... its surreal!!! and this is why i selected it as my daily driver.

Thanks everyone for ur input... its much appreciated :)

1415522047368.jpg

To each his own, so they say... I'm glad you found the car that suits you, Best of luck with it! :)

Well done!asking about the Prias first probably due to peer pressure,but following his passion ends up with the correct fit for his taste and personality.A true Auto Lankan! Just take good care and it will be good years to come ?

What do u guys think about the new Toyota Prius?

Will this car be a good daily runner?

can it survive the hardship and perils of our Lankan roads?!?! there seems to be a lot of computers inside.

Also has anyone driven a vehicle with the information displayed in the center of the vehicle? Is possible to get used to that?

I do about 50km per day. I do not like stopping at petrol sheds. I want something super quiet, comfy as possible and a big boot.

Also, what are the other options that I have?

Mazda 6 would be my choice..