• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Worn out hub bearing like humming sound

Dushyantha

Question

Hey guys 

Been having this problem for sometime where i can hear a hum like sound which you get when hub bearings are worn . Since hub bearings arent that cheapi first got my tyres checked out and they turned out to be fine . swapping tyres did nothing to change the sound . since the next normal culprit for this kind of hum are the hub bearings i was adviced to replace the hub bearings . got them replaced last week . but still the sound is still there . its exactly like the humming sound u get when  the hub bearings are worn out . has anyone ever had this kind of experience before ? 

10 answers to this question

before they advice to change the hub bearings, did they at least try to lift up (with a jack) a one  of a front wheel and tested by driving (i mean engage the gear and accelerate)?

NOTE: i assume your vehicle is a FWD, but still for some vehicles this test cannot be done (ex: limited slip differential)

Edited by MV-5

maybe because the hub bearings has rust on them? apply gum grease (not sure what is the exact name, but orange color) or the blue grease and see if the issue is there again? is the hub bearing moving when pressed with hand (9 and 3 o'clock) after tightening it up ?

4 hours ago, Davy said:

Where is the noise coming from? Front or rear?

Sorrry.  My bad.  I didnt mention it.  Its coming from the front.  Identical to hub bearing hum. Its a lancer cs3.  FWD

Hum increases as the speed increases and comes regardless of which gear or neutral its in and becomes unbearable at like 120kmph

Edited by Dushyantha

I had a similar issue with my Carina, both wheel bearings were replaced and it was gone. But u have mentioned that these have been replaced. did u check the tires? unevenness? suggest not to speed till u get to the bottom of it.

BTW did u check the engine, transmission mounts and mounts related to the exhaust?

15 hours ago, Muditha420 said:

I had a similar issue with my Carina, both wheel bearings were replaced and it was gone. But u have mentioned that these have been replaced. did u check the tires? unevenness? suggest not to speed till u get to the bottom of it.

BTW did u check the engine, transmission mounts and mounts related to the exhaust?

heres a list of things i have done so far after i started hearing the sound.

checked the suspension mounts. - replaced worn out lowerarm balljoints. other bushes and balljoints were in good condition.

since it was recomended by many places - replaced the hub bearings . (humming was still there comming from the front.)

Checked transmission oil . had an ammonia like smell . other than that the level was fine and was thick like honey.

checked the transmission mounts . OK

swapped front tyres to back - no change in the issue . still the sound was coming from the front.

went to an alignment place - Found that there was a broken steering rack boot which i replaced. gonna get the alignment checked out today .

Edited by Dushyantha

2 hours ago, Dushyantha said:

heres a list of things i have done so far after i started hearing the sound.

checked the suspension mounts. - replaced worn out lowerarm balljoints. other bushes and balljoints were in good condition.

since it was recomended by many places - replaced the hub bearings . (humming was still there comming from the front.)

Checked transmission oil . had an ammonia like smell . other than that the level was fine and was thick like honey.

checked the transmission mounts . OK

swapped front tyres to back - no change in the issue . still the sound was coming from the front.

went to an alignment place - Found that there was a broken steering rack boot which i replaced. gonna get the alignment checked out today .

Issues like this are difficult to diagnose without seeing the car in person and listening to the noise.

First of all, are you sure it's not something to do with a plastic panel catching wind and vibrating at high speed or something? :)

Do you feel a vibration through the steering when this happens? If yes, get the brakes (rotors especially) checked out. They maybe warped.

And can the noise be heard when the car is stationery and when revved up hard? If yes, it might be something as simple as your cooling fans having bad bearings to water pump bearings.

I once got so pissed with the bearing noise in my Vios, I bought replacements for all 4 wheels. Luckily, only the rear left needed replacing. My mechanic said that you'll know well in advance before a hub fails catastrophically. The same issue is there in my Starlet, but to lesser extent, when coasting it sounds like i'm inside one of the more quiet cars on a train, i.e. low, metallic grinding noise.