• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help with Insurance process

Seeker LK

I have full cover insurance for my 2007 Vitz which is on NDB leasing right now.

Last week I met with an accident where something hit my windshield as I'm driving and there is a small crack on the top which is hardly noticeable from the distance. But I promptly called the insurance and informed them.

The agent came and checked the vehicle.

Later I went to Toyota Ratmalana and got the estimations and submitted the same at JanaS**** office. 

Today I got a call from insurance company saying the estimation is amended and the same sent to Toyota office. 

Now I just don't get what should I do next. Everytime I call them, they give contradicting answers. After reading the threads here, I'm having a nightmare thinking whether I"m being so naive and in the process of being scammed by the company :wacko:

What should be the next step ideally? Should I bring the vehicle and pay the amount at garage or insurance company will pay the amount onbehalf. My head is exploding..! Please help.:(

Check with Agent. They should have received amount approved. (you may have to pocket in a portion since this is a part and not a paint job etc). If not walk straight in to the insurer and give them a blast (Preferably to a manager) 

• Like 1

Your car being a 10 year old one the insurer is unlikely to entertain a new part replacement by the agent and pay in full if the part is locally available as a used part unless of course you are prepared to pocket out a considerable amount. 

• Like 4

@Rumesh88 hit the nail on the head (as always)...

No insurance company in this country will cover the full cost of replacing a part of a 10-year old car with a brand new one. This is not a scam. It is how insurance companies operate.

What I suggest is to find a second hand windscreen from a chop shop in Delkanda and get it fixed at a local garage if you want to get the max out of your insurance.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Crosswind said:

All the best. Pls update the thread. Also try samarasinghe or autoglass for the windscreen. They do the fixing as well.

Also check with Kalutra Windscreen Center. All you need is to tell them the story. If they have the part they will do the rest with your insurer. All you need is to go there and get it fixed. I know someone who did it for his GP5 recently.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update as of now.

The estimation from TL is around 120,000 out of it insurance said they'll pay only 40K. So I'll have to pocket out 80K. I could have afforded it if atleast 50% out of 120,000.

So I'm planning on heading towards Samarasinhe or Kaltura Windscreen over the weekend to get another estimation... Sigh! :wacko:

Quick question

When I called Samarasinghe they said they can do the windscreen change for 16,500 LKR. Is it even possible while TL quoted 120,000 LKR?? :blink:

Edited by Seeker LK

3 hours ago, Seeker LK said:

Quick question

When I called Samarasinghe they said they can do the windscreen change for 16,500 LKR. Is it even possible while TL quoted 120,000 LKR?? :blink:

Yes possible although the price seems a bit too good to be true. But did you ask them if it was original? These duplicates will not give you the same visibility and safety as the original one. Better if you can find an used original with the same markings as your existing one because apart from the quality issues, when you try to sell your car in future the buyers will bargain for the price arguing that you have a duplicate windscreen. 

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

Seeing this thread only now, thought to share an experience one of my friends had when he faced the same situation (Cracked Windshield.)

His car is an Axio manufactured in 2007. Similar to what happened to OP with his insurance company, my friends insurance quotation which he took from TL for the windshield replacement got rejected. The quotation amounted something around 136K. Actually they said that they'll cover just 60% of the claim.

Then he opted for the next best thing, a second hand windshield imported from Japan as he did not want to pocket out over 50k for the job. It was quoted I think about 56K. And this was the cost without the beadings and all. And to our surprise insurance company rejected that as well. They claimed that they will give a green light for a locally made (Or Taiwanese duplicate crap) windshields which we did not agree.

My friend had two options, expensive original or cheap duplicate.

Since the insurance company not allow us to go for the fair option for both parties, we decided to approach the matter from a different angle through an official contact and this time we wanted to replace the windshield at TL .

What happened after that, I'm not gonna explain, but my friend got the job done at TL and he only had to pocket out about Rs.10K for the entire thing.

With this, i would like to bring your attention to two things,

1. The insurance company did not want to compensate the claim for a recon windshield 

2. The duplicate windshields cost around 15-18K. And finding the beadings similar to originals gonna be a difficult thing.

Please check with your insurance company before going for the recon glass. And try your best to avoid the duplicate ones for obvious reasons.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Thanks @Rumesh88 & @trinity

These J******thi guys asked me to pay 80K while they incur 40K. I'm in a bad position compared to your friend. I think the whole idea is somehow fool the customer and bring the value below the premium customer paid. 

This is really unfair because I don't have anyone inside or any political or other sort of connection lol. I had to either chipout from my pocket (which is unlikely for the 80K at the moment as I had to pay another 45K for the leasing in the same time this month). 

I think I'll give them a visit and ask about it again. I don't think it'll do anything in the end as they'll repeat the same crap they said over the phone. Sir car eka 10 years old ne.. eka thama.. bla bla... It's really pathetic but I'm stucked with them for next 3 years too as I can't change the insurance company till the leasing is over (which is another 3 years). 

Edited by Seeker LK

1 hour ago, Jor-el said:

Did you read the fine print? What does it say on depreciation? 

Notwithstanding whatever it says on depreciation in small print, the basic insurance principle is to restore the value of the insured article to its value before the accident.Obviously a duplicate one will have a major impact on the resale value of the car. If a recon one is available at let's say 50% of the value of a new windscreen insurer cannot find a ground to refuse such claim. Did you try at the Kalutara place?

8 hours ago, Seeker LK said:

Thanks @Rumesh88 & @trinity

These J******thi guys asked me to pay 80K while they incur 40K. I'm in a bad position compared to your friend. I think the whole idea is somehow fool the customer and bring the value below the premium customer paid. 

This is really unfair because I don't have anyone inside or any political or other sort of connection lol. I had to either chipout from my pocket (which is unlikely for the 80K at the moment as I had to pay another 45K for the leasing in the same time this month). 

I think I'll give them a visit and ask about it again. I don't think it'll do anything in the end as they'll repeat the same crap they said over the phone. Sir car eka 10 years old ne.. eka thama.. bla bla... It's really pathetic but I'm stucked with them for next 3 years too as I can't change the insurance company till the leasing is over (which is another 3 years). 

The problem here is not the insurer. It's the misunderstanding you have about the insurance process.

The insurer is contractually bound to restore your vehicle to the state it was, prior to the accident. They are not contractually bound to get you a new windscreen. This means, its perfectly legal for them to ask you to get a used part for a 10-yr old car, because a 10-yr old car will have a 10-yr old windscreen with the wear and tear its supposed to have.

But what you are looking to get, is a new windscreen. That's where the problem is.

So what I suggest is to go get a used windscreen from delkanda. Just check with them whether they have any objections to that (I will be very surprised if they do). You can get the whole job done for the 40k they have estimated.

Other option you have is to take this to the insurance ombudsman. Read this thread too.

• Like 2

Also you can change the insurer if you want to. Tell your bank/finance company that you need to do that and if they object, you will take the matter to the financial ombudsman. You are not legally obligated in any way to stick to the same insurer that they request. Also, you are not legally obligated to insure the car using the bank's code. As long as you assign the insurance to the bank, you have met your obligation.

Bank/leasing company guys usually insist on going to a particular insurance company because they get a commission out of it. So don't be fooled. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rumesh88 said:

Notwithstanding whatever it says on depreciation in small print, the basic insurance principle is to restore the value of the insured article to its value before the accident.Obviously a duplicate one will have a major impact on the resale value of the car. If a recon one is available at let's say 50% of the value of a new windscreen insurer cannot find a ground to refuse such claim. Did you try at the Kalutara place?

Kalutara place quoted 12.5K for the windscreen. They said it's imported from Japan but I highly doubt it. It should be either made in Sri Lanka or imported from China / Taiwan etc.

2 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Also you can change the insurer if you want to. Tell your bank/finance company that you need to do that and if they object, you will take the matter to the financial ombudsman. You are not legally obligated in any way to stick to the same insurer that they request. Also, you are not legally obligated to insure the car using the bank's code. As long as you assign the insurance to the bank, you have met your obligation.

Bank/leasing company guys usually insist on going to a particular insurance company because they get a commission out of it. So don't be fooled. 

When the insurance comes for renewal just change you insurer. Make sure to insure to the exact value you previously obtained or do a fresh valuation and do accordingly. Also have all the previous covers including Absolute ownership to the bank. Hand over the policy to the bank branch and just say you want to change the insurance. thats it, no financial institution can force you to do the insurance unless you have agreed to do so in your facility offer letter.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 2:42 PM, Crosswind said:

@Rumesh88 hit the nail on the head (as always)...

No insurance company in this country will cover the full cost of replacing a part of a 10-year old car with a brand new one. This is not a scam. It is how insurance companies operate.

I had to replace my front buffer due to a hit an run. TL quoted 37k for the buffer only, the car's yom being only 1 1/2 years old, I still had to pocket out 35% of the buffer and full amount for clips and support material etc which was around another 4k. Insurance company was L*L*

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the insightful answer. I understand what is full insurance means for a car now :D especially for a 10 year old car.

Quick Update

I went to Mr. Sylvi's place at Kollutpittiya today and got the crack patched up with resin for 5K. For me it's a better option than paying 80K for brand new glass or 12K for a duplicate glass. Worth the risk I suppose. The guy at workshop guaranteed that it wont' spread and car windscreen will be just fine. Even if there are any problems in the future, they'll fix it without any additional charges (free of cost). 

10 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

Good ol sylvi... we had some fun times with him. What is he up to these days?

I cant speak about his guarantees though...

LoL. IKR, I've been reading many conversations at forum time to time. Actually it was not him who did the job. He was not even around, another guy did it. When I asked about him, he told me that Mr. .Slyvi is upstairs and he is doing just fine.