• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Doctors Permit 2017 what to buy?

Nirmalg

Hi,

Just got my permit

I have a maximum budget of 4.5 million (lower would be obviously better)

Open to brand new and recondition

Wife just had a child, so looking at a totally family perspective and economy

Also would like a vehicle which has a good ground clearance (at least 150mm)- but not essential 

What are your recommendations? 

Thank you

Then look for a Toyota.A non-hybrid Axio 2017 might be the best bet.Better car for day-to-day travelling with comfort and economy.Also the handling is better than the 141 Axio.I have once driven one,a 2013 one which shares the same 1500cc engine with the 121,Axio 141,Allion,Premio,so it's not bad on acceleration.But the newer,after 2015 non-hybrid version gets the 2NR-FKE engine with same horsepower but less torque along with a more advanced valve timing mechanism.So powerwise the car might be more or less the same.This new engine is less popular in Sri Lanka due to the high demand for the hybrid version.Therefore finding parts for the engine might be a bit of a problem,but not a big problem.It's upto you to decide.

Edited by DhoRK

3 hours ago, Nirmalg said:

Just got my permit

and you had to open THREE NEW REDUNDANT threads to inform us instead of continuing many existing threads about permits?

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

out of curiosity,what is the duration of these permits now? Heard a rumour that they were changed from 5 to 10years now. In that case you might also have to think about durability(European > Japanese/Korean >Indian)

Edited by ajm

31 minutes ago, ajm said:

and you had to open THREE NEW REDUNDANT threads to inform us instead of continuing many existing threads about permits?

this is the sorry state of most new doctors in the country Mate. The lack of common sense,the Ego and Thinking that their time and needs have higher priority than everyone else's.?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If affordable for 4.5mil, I would suggest Mazda 3. It has adequate ground clearance for SL roads (I drive Mazda-3 2.0L SkyActive), and recently I happened to drive a hybrid-Axio for about a month. I would never buy an Axio -sorry for any hurt to anyone. I am still wondering why people in SL pay so much for an Axio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VecLa said:

If affordable for 4.5mil, I would suggest Mazda 3. It has adequate ground clearance for SL roads (I drive Mazda-3 2.0L SkyActive), and recently I happened to drive a hybrid-Axio for about a month. I would never buy an Axio -sorry for any hurt to anyone. I am still wondering why people in SL pay so much for an Axio.

Considering the prices of cars in Sri lanka one has to wonder why anyone pays so much to buy ANY car. With cars being expensive, driving being ruthless as it is, etc.....what is the point ? I guess we pay so much as a matter of necessity.

As for the Axio...yes..the Axio is a boring car to drive (personally the export model 16x Corolla is much nicer), however it does click the boxes of most conservative car owners. For the most part it is reasonably comfortable, economical and, for what its worth, people hope it being a Toyota will take the poor maintenance and abuse quite well.

As for the OPs question...if you are going to import a "brand new" car from Japan (i.e. a JDM variant) short of Mazda, quite a few of the other car manufacturers will be releasing new versions over the next 12 months...so might not be the best time to buy a car if you want the latest and the greatest. On the flip side...dealers would be giving quite good discounts on their existing stocks.

Have you looked in to the Mazda 2 Sedan ? the Mazda 3 that is sold in SL seems to be quite basic and you really are not getting much of the SkyActiv suite apart from the chassis. 

I am presuming something like the 16x Corolla and Lancer GLX would be out of your budget these days ?

the Sunny and Vios might fit your budget but...the Sunny is as exciting as eating a cucumber and the Vios has a nice nippy frame but has a rather disconnected driving feel.

Going a bit off beat..how about a Ford Focus ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Nirmalg - don't buy a Focus. It does on 9km per litre.

@irage.... the last thing I want is a man without common sense driving a Focus...

HAHAHAHA...that Focus will have no focus on it at all and will be run to the ground :D

11 hours ago, ajm said:

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

out of curiosity,what is the duration of these permits now? Heard a rumour that they were changed from 5 to 10years now. In that case you might also have to think about durability(European > Japanese/Korean >Indian)

Very sorry, was confused with the threads. tried to look for new 2017 permit threads but couldnt find any.

Will get a new permit in 10 years.

5 hours ago, iRage said:

Considering the prices of cars in Sri lanka one has to wonder why anyone pays so much to buy ANY car. With cars being expensive, driving being ruthless as it is, etc.....what is the point ? I guess we pay so much as a matter of necessity.

As for the Axio...yes..the Axio is a boring car to drive (personally the export model 16x Corolla is much nicer), however it does click the boxes of most conservative car owners. For the most part it is reasonably comfortable, economical and, for what its worth, people hope it being a Toyota will take the poor maintenance and abuse quite well.

As for the OPs question...if you are going to import a "brand new" car from Japan (i.e. a JDM variant) short of Mazda, quite a few of the other car manufacturers will be releasing new versions over the next 12 months...so might not be the best time to buy a car if you want the latest and the greatest. On the flip side...dealers would be giving quite good discounts on their existing stocks.

Have you looked in to the Mazda 2 Sedan ? the Mazda 3 that is sold in SL seems to be quite basic and you really are not getting much of the SkyActiv suite apart from the chassis. 

I am presuming something like the 16x Corolla and Lancer GLX would be out of your budget these days ?

the Sunny and Vios might fit your budget but...the Sunny is as exciting as eating a cucumber and the Vios has a nice nippy frame but has a rather disconnected driving feel.

Going a bit off beat..how about a Ford Focus ?

Nope not the ford focus. will look into the mazda 2 as recommended by a lot of people. also will wait and see for the new versions in the coming months.

And yes the corolla and lancer a bit of of my budget.

Thanks 

Forgot to mention a few things

i work outstation. my house is 290km away fro my work place, and has only a bit of highway access. So i will definitely have to drive 600km plus every 3 weeks. plus the road leading to my workplace is a bit rocky. hence the reason for my ground clearance requirement.

So with that in mind the options are currently

1. Toyota Axio non Hybrid

2. Mazda 2

Anything else?

PS Soryy for the multiple thread opening, was a bit confused. Hopefully admin can delete the excess ones.

Thank you

26 minutes ago, Nirmalg said:

Nope not the ford focus.

Phew! Thank god for that.

20 minutes ago, Nirmalg said:

Forgot to mention a few things

i work outstation. my house is 290km away fro my work place, and has only a bit of highway access. So i will definitely have to drive 600km plus every 3 weeks. plus the road leading to my workplace is a bit rocky. hence the reason for my ground clearance requirement.

So with that in mind the options are currently

1. Toyota Axio non Hybrid

2. Mazda 2

Anything else?

PS Soryy for the multiple thread opening, was a bit confused. Hopefully admin can delete the excess ones.

Thank you

Dude... seriously... what's the total monthly run you are expecting? 1000km? 2000km? 5000km?

and where are you running mostly?

Both Mazda 2 and Axio would serve you without an issue if you maintain them properly.While the Mazda 2 will give you more driving feel,attraction and more bells and whistles,Axio would give you better comfort,better interior and luggage space and a relaxing drive.If you live outside colombo maintaining a Toyota would be easy.Also both cars would be equally economical.It's upto you to decide.Best thing is to drive both.Maybe you prefer the sporty driving of the Mazda 2 or maybe the boring and relaxing drive of the Axio.

Edited by DhoRK

1 hour ago, fiat fan said:

I would get an Audi A3 hatch in a heart beat! Bloody awesome car!

is it offered by the Agents any longer,heard they have discontinued. If according to OP he has to use the same car for 10years until the next permit, I also would think of a more solidly built European machine over Japanese. But wonder if any fall within the $30k limit.

2 hours ago, ajm said:

is it offered by the Agents any longer,heard they have discontinued. If according to OP he has to use the same car for 10years until the next permit, I also would think of a more solidly built European machine over Japanese. But wonder if any fall within the $30k limit.

I am not sure whether Senok brings it.I think they bring the A3 Sedan though. But you can order one from UK.