• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What is face lift?

Thxrindu

Question

What is the different between pre-facelift(non facelift) Vs facelift 121 corolla.

I saw couple of photos on the forum,but cant identify what is facelift.Can u guys send a photo in both two versions?

And i want to know that difference is done by in SL/other country or it's from the factory?[emoji5]

12 answers to this question

11 hours ago, ajm said:

in general model changes are done in 2 steps.

1.complete new designed Engine,Gearbox and major internal components with minor changes to the exterior design,to improve customer appeal

2.completely new designed exterior,interior with minor changes to main internal components (eg: Power addition by tuning existing engine)

car makers usually avoid doing both 1and 2 at the same time,because the changes are too many and difficult to handle/review as a complete system within a project duration of 3years.

1.would be normally called a "facelift".

This is completely wrong. 

A facelift is usually minor changes to the external appearance of the car, mainly to the front and rear of the car. There are usually no changes to engine, transmission or other drivetrain components. 

Example (Mazda 323/Familia BJ series):

Pre-facelift:

imagehandler.ashx?t=sh&id=1273164&s=n&in

Facelift:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsHflTqT9EHVOH4C0O6ux

Note the subtle differences (ex: headlamps and bumper) 

Edited by Davy

4 minutes ago, Thxrindu said:

I told this bcz all the 2004 and after 121's headlight and the middle black area (i dont know what it call) are in same level.but 2003 and before ones headlight's higher that black areas level.So all the 121 facelifts are after 2004.am I correct?

Yes the shell has changed and I have seen some small cosmetic changes between some model years maybe anniversary models. It's a car came with many trim levels. So called "Dicky light" model is the facelift.

• Like 1

1.complete new designed Engine,Gearbox and major internal components with minor changes to the exterior design,to improve customer appeal

2.completely new designed exterior,interior with minor changes to main internal components (eg: Power addition by tuning existing engine)

car makers usually avoid doing both 1and 2 at the same time,because the changes are too many and difficult to handle/review as a complete system within a project duration of 3years.

It means facelift is not only appearence convertion??

14 hours ago, Thxrindu said:

What is the different between pre-facelift(non facelift) Vs facelift 121 corolla.

I saw couple of photos on the forum,but cant identify what is facelift.Can u guys send a photo in both two versions?

And i want to know that difference is done by in SL/other country or it's from the factory?emoji5.png

pre facelift

CS000109625VGK2MDML7.jpg

CS000109624DF15F7RL5.jpg

facelift

16488_2_DSCF1144.jpg

CS000029378IBASS1W28.jpg

It means 2004 or later corollas facelift and before 2004 models prefacelift.am i correct?
I told this bcz all the 2004 and after 121's headlight and the middle black area (i dont know what it call) are in same level.but 2003 and before ones headlight's higher that black areas level.So all the 121 facelifts are after 2004.am I correct?

12 hours ago, Thxrindu said:

It means facelift is not only appearence convertion??

at least not for European designed cars,maybe for Japanese it is. For Euros Facelift contains major technology changes inside the bonnet. in addition to the aesthetic changes like bumper,lights.(example: when Audi,VW diesels changed from the conventional distributor pump-system to the Pump-Injector/PD system,it was introduced in facelift models in year 2000)

5 hours ago, Davy said:

This is completely wrong. 

A facelift is usually minor changes to the external appearance of the car, mainly to the front and rear of the car. There are usually no changes to engine, transmission or other drivetrain components. 

Example (Mazda 323/Familia BJ series):

Pre-facelift:

Facelift:

Note the subtle differences (ex: headlamps and bumper) 

Well..it can go both ways...so what @ajm mentioned is also not entirely wrong. Typically a facelift is a mid model-cycle refresh to make the car look a bit more modern. But then the facelift at times also includes technical updates. Sometimes the facelift can include new safety features/packages, updates to the engine, etc...at times there have been instances where the facelift got new engines as well (eg. 1300cc EE80 and AE80 Corolla, 2nd gen RAV4 got a new engine and an updated gearbox, etc...). 

Well..it can go both ways...so what [mention=73249]ajm[/mention] mentioned is also not entirely wrong. Typically a facelift is a mid model-cycle refresh to make the car look a bit more modern. But then the facelift at times also includes technical updates. Sometimes the facelift can include new safety features/packages, updates to the engine, etc...at times there have been instances where the facelift got new engines as well (eg. 1300cc EE80 and AE80 Corolla, 2nd gen RAV4 got a new engine and an updated gearbox, etc...). 
Thanx a lot