• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

Hi All,

Im going to do the transmission oil change tomorrow from stafford and they asked me to do an engine tune up as well since its almost 40k. Then mentioned about a turbo oil line clean up as well to avoid turbo problems that may occur if not done. Do you have any idea about the tune up and the oil line clean up. Has anyone of you done transmission oil change and turbo line clean up with tune up from stafford?

Isn’t it obvious for oil lines to block when they recommend a semi synthetic oil in the first place. Nothing less than fully synthetic oils should be used in this turbocharged engine.

Looks like first create the problem, then offer a solution, to me.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

This thread has been invaluable for me as I am looking to buy a Civic. Thank you for everyone that has contributed.

Can I ask the following questions from the long term owners of civic 2017/18 models?

1. Apart from the AC condenser issue, are there any other defects that I need to keep an eye on before purchasing?
  2. Once the condenser is replaced (using a Thailand condenser part?) is the issue resolved? Or is this a recurring issue even after replacing the defected unit with an aftermarket condenser?
  3. I am hearing some owners having turbo issues. Are the turbo issues widespread or are they due to poor maintenance? What are the best practices for the turbo longevity?
  4. If the potential civic I am interested in is using semi-synthetic engine oil, should I avoid the car completely or can I flush it and use fully synthetic oil immediately after purchase?

TIA

Edited by Cruis3r
added point 2

3 hours ago, Cruis3r said:

This thread has been invaluable for me as I am looking to buy a Civic. Thank you for everyone that has contributed.

Can I ask the following questions from the long term owners of civic 2017/18 models?

1. Apart from the AC condenser issue, are there any other defects that I need to keep an eye on before purchasing?
  2. Once the condenser is replaced (using a Thailand condenser part?) is the issue resolved? Or is this a recurring issue even after replacing the defected unit with an aftermarket condenser?
  3. I am hearing some owners having turbo issues. Are the turbo issues widespread or are they due to poor maintenance? What are the best practices for the turbo longevity?
  4. If the potential civic I am interested in is using semi-synthetic engine oil, should I avoid the car completely or can I flush it and use fully synthetic oil immediately after purchase?

TIA

Using a EX Tech Pack over 2 years now.

I’m a follower of the in-car maintenance minder since 0 ODO and using an engine oil which matches manufacturer recommendation (ACEA C2, Mobil1 ESP).

Haven’t had a single issue you’ve stated above and car is in pristine condition as it was bough 2 years back.

From what I have heard and seen from many is that, they use a 0W-20 and to make things worse a semi-synthetic to that turbocharged engine. (Read on Google on general recommended oils for a turbocharged, catalytic converter equipped vehicles).

Honda UK only recommends 0W-20 if the oil is Honda Type 2.0 engine oil. Else a commercial engine oil of a viscosity of XX-30. When I once enquired Honda UK once, their recommendation was to use Castrol Edge Professional H 5W-30.

Effects of these poor maintenance will be seen and experienced in the longer run, and not immediately.

With regards to the condenser issue, that’s a factory defect in the condenser which tends to fail in certain units due to high operating pressure of the newer 1234yf refrigerant. A better alternative was to replace with a Japanese or Thailand condenser and refill with r134a refrigerant and replace compressor oil which is compatible with r134a refrigerant.

Decision is yours, just helping you to be more aware of facts. Cheers!

• Like 1

Hello,

Im using civic 10th ex 1.0 for 1.5 years now without any issue (bought ~0km unreg) and ODO is near 13000km mark. Did first service one year ago (around 6500km mark) at Stafford and used Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy 0W30 oil as they didn't had C2 rated 5W30 fully synthetic oil. Car is near 2 year mark now since date of production. The battery is not up to auto engine start and stop now. 

I plan to do 2nd service this week at Stafford. The maintenance minder requests regular service and CVT oil change and pollen filter change (AB23). However, when I called Stafford, they advised me not to change CVT oil as it's only 13000km yet. I didn't found anyone did CVT fluid change this soon too.

I decided to go with CVT oil change any way as I consider my driving conditions are severe (short distances in Sri Lankan climate and roads) but keep pollen filter after cleaning as it seems ok.

I like your recommendations about,

1. If I found 5W30 C2 fully synthetic, it it ok to change to that this time or should I keep using 0W30?

2. I have about 300ml oil from last year service. Is it OK to use it (if I'm using same oil this time) or should I use new oil only? Next service probably will be after an another year.

3. Stafford told me they have genuine oil for CVT, but was not specific. If they don't have HCF2 as recommended by the manual, are there any alternatives available locally?

4. Manual says to replace air filter in 30000km intervals and no time interval mentioned. It seems cleanable too. Should I change air filter (and pollen filter) now as they are 2 years old now? They will be 3 years old by next service.

There is a very good chance that I will sell this car by Dec 2022 for our next permit upgrade. So I'm thinking that if there are services I must do in 3 years, I should do them in this service now (2yrs), as it is better use of my money. So air and pollen filter change is kind of under consideration now. I like you recommendations on this too.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by abiman

On 2/9/2021 at 11:22 AM, abiman said:

Hello,

Im using civic 10th ex 1.0 for 1.5 years now without any issue (bought ~0km unreg) and ODO is near 13000km mark. Did first service one year ago (around 6500km mark) at Stafford and used Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy 0W30 oil as they didn't had C2 rated 5W30 fully synthetic oil. Car is near 2 year mark now since date of production. The battery is not up to auto engine start and stop now. 

I plan to do 2nd service this week at Stafford. The maintenance minder requests regular service and CVT oil change and pollen filter change (AB23). However, when I called Stafford, they advised me not to change CVT oil as it's only 13000km yet. I didn't found anyone did CVT fluid change this soon too.

I decided to go with CVT oil change any way as I consider my driving conditions are severe (short distances in Sri Lankan climate and roads) but keep pollen filter after cleaning as it seems ok.

1. If I found 5W30 C2 fully synthetic, it it ok to change to that this time or should I keep using 0W30?

2. I have about 300ml oil from last year service. Is it OK to use it (if I'm using same oil this time) or should I use new oil only? Next service probably will be after an another year.

3. Stafford told me they have genuine oil for CVT, but was not specific. If they don't have HCF2 as recommended by the manual, are there any alternatives available locally?

4. Manual says to replace air filter in 30000km intervals and no time interval mentioned. It seems cleanable too. Should I change air filter (and pollen filter) now as they are 2 years old now? They will be 3 years old by next service.

There is a very good chance that I will sell this car by Dec 2022 for our next permit upgrade. So I'm thinking that if there are services I must do in 3 years, I should do them in this service now (2yrs), as it is better use of my money. So air and pollen filter change is kind of under consideration now. I like you recommendations on this too.

Thanks in advance.

Just replace the filters. They don't cost much. Mine is also a 2018 and air and Ac filters were very dirty after 2 years. 

I have been using 5w-30 full synthetic since I got the car. They recommend it in the manual also. 

I havnt changed CVT oil yet but planning to do it at my next service. 

On 2/9/2021 at 11:22 AM, abiman said:

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Mobil1 ESP is ACEA C2/C3 engine oil (available with McLarens and resellers) which is fully compatible with ACEA C2 except the fuel efficiency factor.

84143FDC-EF0A-4AB0-BDE5-60EA5ADD0B3D.jpeg

778BA949-1441-4B4E-B188-6AAD51E99E0D.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Now my car is clocked 32k and when I went for the service, they recommend me to change the tyres during the next 5000 kms. Can anyone please recommend me a good tyre(235/45 R17) brand for the civics? Anyway I'm not planning to buy Michelin primacy tyre(factory fitted one) as it's peeling off within 3yrs. 

Thanks!

Edited by Senalw

On 3/18/2021 at 1:04 AM, Senalw said:

Hi everyone,

Now my car is clocked 32k and when I went for the service, they recommend me to change the tyres during the next 5000 kms. Can anyone please recommend me a good tyre(235/45 R17) brand for the civics? Anyway I'm not planning to buy Michelin primacy tyre(factory fitted one) as it's ripping off within 3yrs. 

Thanks!

I’ll be due for new tires in a little while as mine have shredded thanks to a horrible culvert at the top of my lane. I’ll most likely go with either Bridgestone, Continental or Pirelli (Toy#ta L#nka has a good discount) depending on what I can find these days matching the tire size. Staying away from Michelin as it’s super expensive and no way in hell am I going with the cheaper Eco tires. Thought of Dunlop, but I had a bad experience with those in my older car - poor traction and noisy! The first problem you’ll face is a scarcity of your preferred brand unfortunately.

Hi everyone, 

I am considering a Civic 2018 for our next upgrade. However, my regular mechanic has advised me about a "timing belt" issue present in this car? He was a bit iffy on the details, would love to hear from everyone here...

What are the other common problems with this car? 

Thanks and Regards 

1 minute ago, Huzefa said:

Hi everyone, 

I am considering a Civic 2018 for our next upgrade. However, my regular mechanic has advised me about a "timing belt" issue present in this car? He was a bit iffy on the details, would love to hear from everyone here...

Thanks and Regards 

I’ll not comment about the mechanic. But the vehicle will give you troubles from turbocharger to timing belt and what not if you end up buying a car that was not maintained properly, or maintained regularly, but not following what’s recommended by manufacturer; Honda (not the dealer).

a well maintained vehicle will not give you any issues (FYI: the timing belt is only required to be inspected after 5 years and should be replaced only after 10years. See attached response from Honda UK)

4108A94A-2932-46C1-8C6E-71D0A91DFA5C.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 9:52 PM, misnad said:

I’ll be due for new tires in a little while as mine have shredded thanks to a horrible culvert at the top of my lane. I’ll most likely go with either Bridgestone, Continental or Pirelli (Toy#ta L#nka has a good discount) depending on what I can find these days matching the tire size. Staying away from Michelin as it’s super expensive and no way in hell am I going with the cheaper Eco tires. Thought of Dunlop, but I had a bad experience with those in my older car - poor traction and noisy! The first problem you’ll face is a scarcity of your preferred brand unfortunately.

As per my knowledge Bridgestone is also super expensive as Michelin. My choice was also between Continental and Dunlop. But your comment helped me move my choice between Continental and Pirelli. 

Do you know manufacturing country of Pirelli tyres in SL? 

2 minutes ago, Senalw said:

As per my knowledge Bridgestone is also super expensive as Michelin. My choice was also between Continental and Dunlop. But your comment helped me move my choice between Continental and Pirelli. 

Made in Russia

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Huzefa said:

Hi everyone, 

Thanks and Regards 

The most talked about problem seems to be the AC packing up so check with the previous owner if this happened and where it was fixed. Camshaft of the 1.0 turbo is driven by a belt in oil instead of chain and looks a pain in the ass to change that's probably why your mechanic was fussing. But that kind of maintainance should be simple enough for the agent.  And as someone else has mentioned if it's been well maintained belt should be inspected after 5 years and replaced in 10 so don't worry about it. 

6 hours ago, Senalw said:

Great! Actually if the local Ferentino tyre factory made the right sized tyre, I'd have bought that instead (assuming they don't quote exorbitant prices). Sadly, I have no idea where they are :D

Didn't realize Bridgestone was that pricey. Looks like it's Continental or Pirelli for me too then. By the way, if you have Alloygator rim protection just like I do, you'll need to ensure the place changing out your tyres doesn't mix them around wheels and the connector clip is aligned above the valve. They need to remove it when slotting in the new tyre. Got this info from the supplier.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, misnad said:

Great! Actually if the local Ferentino tyre factory made the right sized tyre, I'd have bought that instead (assuming they don't quote exorbitant prices). Sadly, I have no idea where they are :D

You can enquire about those tyres from hereGuess, this is the size that fits the new Civic.. Don't know about the quality or reliability of the tyres though.. but you can check with them the prices and availability they are doing some advertising in FB as well through their page..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

You can enquire about those tyres from hereGuess, this is the size that fits the new Civic.. Don't know about the quality or reliability of the tyres though.. but you can check with them the prices and availability they are doing some advertising in FB as well through their page..

Thank you. I just checked with them and K*d*w*th* Tyre House, but it looks like they don’t manufacture the tyre size required for the civics (235/45R17). Looks like Pirelli doesn’t have it either in SL. Only managed to get Dunlop and Yokohama so far.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,
I hope I am posting this in the correct discussion. I am in need of a fuel pump for my HONDA CIVIC 2020 1L TURBO, does anyone here have an idea where I can purchase the genuine part. Stafford has no stock and is wanting me to get it from abroad and get it fixed by them.

Any help will be really appreciated.
Thanks.

Ok so a bit about the stock Michelin Primacy 3 tyres that came with the Civic. My mileage is about 27k km and my tyres are quite messed up already. It has this kind of chipping and peeling of the tread on all 4 tyres. They are rotated around every service, I don't drive like a maniac and they're always filled up to the recommended 32psi. 

The tyre shop folks say that they have lots of complaints about Michelin tyres as they seem to wear off faster "in SL". I've heard this "in SL" argument many times before from different joints and I am not too sure about what to make of it. One of those chaps said that I can run it for another 5k km and not to waste money now, however I can clearly see that the side-wall has started giving way too with this weird peeling so I do not want to take a chance. Especially since I keep getting the TPMS warning and actually see even loss of air across all 4 tyres each time I check by the order of like 4 - 5psi every 2 weeks.

I've made my mind about going with Federal Evoluzion ST-01 tyres as they are cost effective + have some decent reviews online compared to the Yokohama ES32's and Dunlop SportMax's available. Not going with Michelin as I'll have to sell a kidney for that and the same is with Continental (ok, maybe half a kidney for the latter).

Does anyone else have this problem with their stock tyres?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misnad said:

Ok so a bit about the stock Michelin Primacy 3 tyres that came with the Civic. My mileage is about 27k km and my tyres are quite messed up already. It has this kind of chipping and peeling of the tread on all 4 tyres. They are rotated around every service, I don't drive like a maniac and they're always filled up to the recommended 32psi. 

The tyre shop folks say that they have lots of complaints about Michelin tyres as they seem to wear off faster "in SL". I've heard this "in SL" argument many times before from different joints and I am not too sure about what to make of it. One of those chaps said that I can run it for another 5k km and not to waste money now, however I can clearly see that the side-wall has started giving way too with this weird peeling so I do not want to take a chance. Especially since I keep getting the TPMS warning and actually see even loss of air across all 4 tyres each time I check by the order of like 4 - 5psi every 2 weeks.

I've made my mind about going with Federal Evoluzion ST-01 tyres as they are cost effective + have some decent reviews online compared to the Yokohama ES32's and Dunlop SportMax's available. Not going with Michelin as I'll have to sell a kidney for that and the same is with Continental (ok, maybe half a kidney for the latter).

Does anyone else have this problem with their stock tyres?

Mine is at 29K now and I’m seeing little peel off on one of the tyres. They were rotated at every service and occasionally I too get DWS warning that air is lower.

on the potential replacement, i did a small analysis based off the review ratings on tyrereviews[dot]co[dot]uk for those tyres which are available for purchase in Sri Lanka.

Based on that the highest overall rating was for Continental ContiMaxContact MC5 and Yokohama BluEarth ES32.

However, cost wise Yokohama is much cheaper and you should be able to secure a tyre for about 27-30K each (prices do vary from place to place a bit).

Further, pay attention to the 3T (Treadwear, Temperature, Traction) when comparing tyres. The German made stock Michelin came with the car has a Treadwear rating of 240. The Pirelli P1 Verde sold by Toyota has this index at 420. So that explains why this Michelin does wear out so faster.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GWX777 said:

Further, pay attention to the 3T (Treadwear, Temperature, Traction) when comparing tyres. The German made stock Michelin came with the car has a Treadwear rating of 240. The Pirelli P1 Verde sold by Toyota has this index at 420. So that explains why this Michelin does wear out so faster.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! That really helped explain quite a bit. Shall check with the Federal Evoluzion too. Last I checked, Toyota were sold out on their Pirelli's for this size :(