• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a 2014 Aqua vs 2017/2018 Wagon R

Lakmalv

Question

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to buy a new car because I sold my 2004 Blubird Sylphy few weeks ago. My budjet is around 3.7 Mil. I went to see few cars . There is a 2017 Wagon R and the owner is expecting around 3.3 Mil.  There is also a 2014 Toyota Aqua and the owner is expecting 3.6 Mil. Which one would be better. Please give your thoughts.

Thanks

Lakmal

9 answers to this question

The Aqua.

You are looking at 2 different categories of vehicles.

The Wagon R is a kei car. It is designed and intended for city use with a 660cc engine. It will not perform well when going outstation or with a fully loaded car (it will..but you will feel the lack of power). It, along with every other KEI CAR, has been designed for city use.

The Aqua is a family hatchback. Has more room, has more power, and quite frankly drives a lot better than the Wagon R. It feels more stable, and as I have always said, it has a nice active frame that is quite fun to drive. Only downside is that there is no steering feel (which if you just want a normal car and not too much of an enthusiast you will not care about).

So..yes..the Aqua is a better car.

Being Hybrids, there are things that you need to look out for and be prepared to accept the risk of fixing in regards to the Hybrid system (batter replacements, etc...). If you search the forum there are plenty of threads on the risk of buying a used Hybrid car.

9 hours ago, Lakmalv said:

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to buy a new car because I sold my 2004 Blubird Sylphy few weeks ago.

Aiyo! And another Nissan bites the dust... :( I'm kidding: My vote is for the 2014 Toyota Aqua as well>> Its the lesser of the two evils, as it is overall a better car!  

Edited by Kavvz

20 hours ago, Lakmalv said:

I am looking to buy a new car because I sold my 2004 Blubird Sylphy few weeks ago. My budjet is around 3.7 Mil. I went to see few cars . There is a 2017 Wagon R and the owner is expecting around 3.3 Mil.  There is also a 2014 Toyota Aqua and the owner is expecting 3.6 Mil. Which one would be better. Please give your thoughts.

If WagonR will be available at least 2.5 M, then it's worth to compare with a 3.6 M Aqua (because of the financial advantage). Otherwise, do not even think. 

• Like 1

Do you really need a hybrid? Why take the risk of having to replace hybrid vehicle components if you are buying a 6 year old car? The first owners have used up the benefits of hybrid by now, who buys one now would have to pay back the fuel savings the first owners had.

Edited by ajm

From a Sylphy to a Wagon R will definitely be a downgrade. Out of the two you're better off with an Aqua .

If you don't have a specific requirement for a hybrid you can go for other options. For instance If i had to buy a car for 3.5 M i'd probably get a Lancer CS3 around 2011-2012. It's not all techie like the Aqua but a nice ride that's more in line with your previous car. 

On 11/8/2020 at 5:18 AM, Kavvz said:

And another Nissan bites the dust

Kavvz has an apparent soft spot for Nissans huh? True they *HAD* some great cars back in the day. 

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2020 at 2:38 AM, matroska said:

Kavvz has an apparent soft spot for Nissans huh? True they *HAD* some great cars back in the day. 

Yes a bit of a fanboy I'm afraid...(A strange affliction for which I have no explanation too. For as you say they *had* great cars. Plus all the Nissans I have had the pleasure of owning personally, have been pretty run-of-the-mill commuter type cars, nothing special at all...)

12 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Yes a bit of a fanboy I'm afraid...(A strange affliction for which I have no explanation too. For as you say they *had* great cars. Plus all the Nissans I have had the pleasure of owning personally, have been pretty run-of-the-mill commuter type cars, nothing special at all...)

I agree there are a bunch of really nice everyday Nissans  - I loved driving my uncles Cefiro A33 and even the Diesel SB13 my dad had for a while - fondness for that guttural/torquey diesel and I do love to own a P11 Primera some day. 

• Like 1