• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Vehicles for the Budget

caesarprime

Question

Greetings all,

I am interested in buying a vehicle (A used one) and it appears there is some issues in pricing of them due to the current situation in the country. Also I do not thing it would get reduced anytime sooner even the imports are allowed from the government in the future, as there is always the possibility to add more tax in order to balance the exchange flow.

Therefore I am interested on knowing what the best available vehicles within the following price ranges (I am not a long distance driver, and would mostly be used for domestic usage, and some fortnight/monthly travels of around 150-200 Km).

Cars in between 1.5M to 2.0M - Currently I am thinking of AE 110, but it is hard to find a good one within the range

Cars in between 2.0M - 3.0M - Was looking for a Toyota 121, But it is in the latter parts of 2M and even in early 3Ms, so considering age don't think it's worth the money

Cars in between 3.0M - 3.5M - Toyota 141, Allion 240 , but fuel consumption and parts is an issue in the early one. Allion 240 early versions are yet available

I am looking for a Sedan type vehicle and my first vehicle (Probably I might go for a SUV later next year) , Please let me know your opinions on these.

Prime

• Like 1

22 answers to this question

It seems the buyyas and sales people have overpriced the so called "market" cars. So as long as you avoid anything with a toyota/Suzuki/Fake gold Honda badge, you should be fine. 

There are models that are still going for the old rate. FB15s, Primera, EK3s, wingroad and such 20 odd year old cars are still going for the same rate.

Even the Civic FD1 is a good buy for under 3.5 mil. So much car and features for the money, anyone who overlooks an FD1 and goes for an axio is truly a nutcase. 

They have left the European and other "2nd market adu" cars alone as well.

Edited by AVANTE

The mainstream Euros are sky high now. The CLA is up by 7.5Mil. 🙉 

The GLB which was on pre-orders from D*MO for 12mil is now 27.5mil in shady stealerships.

the f10 mudalali boys are having a party too. Up by 2mil.

chr takes the cake in the jdm scene. 5 mil jump for a REGISTERED POS.

Well...the Euros that @fiat fan has suggested are out of the OP's budget anyway...

but euros like E30/E36...A4s, etc...seem to be within the same price bracket as before (well..marginal increases but nothing unbearable). Only hitch is good euros are hard to come by and are in the upper limits of the price scale and these days they hardly change hands because of the market.

What struck as odd to me was that you are looking for a sedan for just one year and you want to go for a SUV perhaps late next year (i.e. one year from now). May I ask why ? are you new to driving and want a smaller car to get used to or is it a matter of cash flow ? Considering the current market and the continuing importation ban one can never assess what is going to happen in one year's time. Irrespective of what the market conditions are...in SL buying a car for just one year of use was never a financially sensible option (unless you put ALOT of miles). So think hard before you decide what you are going to buy.

12 hours ago, AVANTE said:

FB15s, Primera, EK3s, wingroad and such 20 odd year old cars are still going for the same rate.

well not quite - been hunting for a wagon for a friend and came across a 302 Wingroad and guy was asking 1.5 for it which for a 24 year old car is pretty steep. FB15's are also going for 20+. But Primera's are kinda reasonably priced. Also bear in mind despite these prices only the fairly priced cars move.

22 hours ago, caesarprime said:

Cars in between 1.5M to 2.0M - Currently I am thinking of AE 110, but it is hard to find a good one within the range

You will not find an AE110 for that budget some folks are trying to peddle AE100's for that price. Heck there's even E90's for 1.5+ :D   In a nutshell you can get Euros for that budget - buzz Avante he'll entice you to buy a Pug. :D  If you're into Japs - Diesels are a bit cheap, Bigger Sedans are reasonably priced (old bluebirds camrys etc) - smaller sedans if you're looking at Mazda or the odd Mitsu CK1(that has escaped the clutches of the ricer bois) or humble wagons like AD (you said you want sedans) 

BTW  a 1992 Legacy suddenly appeared for sale in the classifieds yesterday  for a very very attractive price and disappeared within minutes :( 

5 hours ago, caesarprime said:

Thanks for the reply mate, yeah one reason is I am new to driving, and the other being I don't have much money atm as I have invested my earnings in other arenas. So I am wishing to go for a Montero by next year.

I do agree with you, because with the way it is going even if they lift this, don't think market prices will go down due to the increasing rate of dollar, and may be it will keep increasing afterall.

Well....what I am leading towards is...why not buy a decent car first time around and then keep it for sometime ? Larger nicer cars are much more decently priced than the common ones you are looking at....buy a decent large car at a reasonable price..keep the extra money to fix the odd dents and scratches you will have during the first few months. You need to keep in mind that being used to the dimensions of a sedan is not going to make you automatically comfortable with dimensions of a Montero....so there will still be a learning curve...the only difference is that in one years time you will be more confident (but slightly shaken about the larger dimensions).

As for building confidence..make it gradual...start with low traffic times...then slowly build up..

57 minutes ago, caesarprime said:

That's one thing that I too was thinking, But the irregularities in price kept myself think on it twice. Saw a few 121s (1300) ones going for late 2Ms, but it's look makes me think twice about it.

Well...when I said a decent larger car I did not necessarily mean a 121 :)....Look at some Lancers or Axelas..or even something larger like a Primera or a Mark II or something....etc...a segment slightly higher than what you were looking at or something off the usual path

10 hours ago, caesarprime said:

I see, almost all of them are muscly. Let me check. thanks again

Don't be offended by size...its a matter of building confidence...take one step at a time...look at it this way...the Mark II is only 37cm longer and 6.5cm wider than a Corolla of the same age :)

So the Mark II is less wider than your hand (unless you have freakishly small hands...I don't know..just saying)...and....that one foot extra length...that makes the Mark II again...about 20cm longer in front and 17 or so cm longer in the back...so again...lesser than the width of your hand. :) Same goes with something like a Primera (or even a Presea..god I can't beleive I said that...). The thing is...these are all cars that are considered "no market" cars by the car brokers and the average guy. So prices have not drastically gone up (they have but bearably). Plus you get a car that is much more interesting to drive. If the car is in good shape..then maintenance wise and fuel consumption wise it will not be that much different than your 121 that has been used by the average Joe. Granted...you won't be finding parts from China at every corner parts shop.

On 12/7/2020 at 11:27 AM, matroska said:

well not quite - been hunting for a wagon for a friend and came across a 302 Wingroad and guy was asking 1.5 for it which for a 24 year old car is pretty steep. FB15's are also going for 20+. But Primera's are kinda reasonably priced. Also bear in mind despite these prices only the fairly priced cars move.

A quick look on the quicksites and the wingroad are still going for the same they were back then though, so might Have to negotiate with the 1.5 asking price :P

Also FB15s were anyways around 2 even before the market hit the fan right? 

On 12/7/2020 at 11:27 AM, matroska said:

In a nutshell you can get Euros for that budget - buzz Avante he'll entice you to buy a Pug. :D 

ඉන්බොක් if you want to join the cult. But only if you're the sort of person who stares at your car for too long through the facade when shopping at the supermart. 

Edited by AVANTE

16 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Also FB15s were anyways around 2 even before the market hit the fan right? 

Yeah they were bordering on 1.8-2.2 depending on the YOM/plates. The K-plate facelifts in the lower 20's. Now the Earliest bunch goes for 2.2 ish - a friend sold his 2000 FB15 with H Plates for 2.2 recently.

16 hours ago, AVANTE said:

if you're the sort of person who stares at your car for too long through the facade when shopping at the supermart.

I think most of the regulars here do that :D 

On 12/8/2020 at 7:49 AM, iRage said:

Don't be offended by size...its a matter of building confidence...take one step at a time...look at it this way...the Mark II is only 37cm longer and 6.5cm wider than a Corolla of the same age :)

So the Mark II is less wider than your hand (unless you have freakishly small hands...I don't know..just saying)...and....that one foot extra length...that makes the Mark II again...about 20cm longer in front and 17 or so cm longer in the back...so again...lesser than the width of your hand. :) Same goes with something like a Primera (or even a Presea..god I can't beleive I said that...). The thing is...these are all cars that are considered "no market" cars by the car brokers and the average guy. So prices have not drastically gone up (they have but bearably). Plus you get a car that is much more interesting to drive. If the car is in good shape..then maintenance wise and fuel consumption wise it will not be that much different than your 121 that has been used by the average Joe. Granted...you won't be finding parts from China at every corner parts shop.

Do you mean Mark 2 GX110 or the GX100? For some reason the GX100s are more expensive than the newer GX110. I had the option of getting a beaut GX110 for 2.4 mil a while ago but I was scared due to its length and BEAMS engine 'issue'. Not going to lie I kind of regret it. Camry's have shot up in prices in about 1 mil. Camry's I checked out for 2.2 mil are not asking 2.8-3.1 mil. 

1 hour ago, MaleCortana said:

Do you mean Mark 2 GX110 or the GX100? For some reason the GX100s are more expensive than the newer GX110. I had the option of getting a beaut GX110 for 2.4 mil a while ago but I was scared due to its length and BEAMS engine 'issue'. Not going to lie I kind of regret it. Camry's have shot up in prices in about 1 mil. Camry's I checked out for 2.2 mil are not asking 2.8-3.1 mil. 

Either one....the point was if he is willing to keep it for more than one year...he can buy a nicer car for a slightly higher budget....and even these cars have gone up in price it has not gone up as much as the hacked eco boxes have..so you get more car for the price...and the chances of finding a good X100 or X110 is much higher than that of a econo box.

The X100 is more expensive these days because of the fan boys...they are running behind them for Tourer V conversions. The X110 is still not sort after because the X110 IR-V donor cars are a bit more expensive in Japan due to its rarity. Also, the frameless doors of the X100s seem to get these kids turned on :) 

56 minutes ago, iRage said:

Either one....the point was if he is willing to keep it for more than one year...he can buy a nicer car for a slightly higher budget....and even these cars have gone up in price it has not gone up as much as the hacked eco boxes have..so you get more car for the price...and the chances of finding a good X100 or X110 is much higher than that of a econo box.

The X100 is more expensive these days because of the fan boys...they are running behind them for Tourer V conversions. The X110 is still not sort after because the X110 IR-V donor cars are a bit more expensive in Japan due to its rarity. Also, the frameless doors of the X100s seem to get these kids turned on :) 

That is true, you lose a lot of money when buying a car since there will be a lot of stuff in a car to fix. It doesn't make sense to buy one, fix it and then resell right after because the value doesn't budge that much.

OP don't do what I did, bought a "small car" (couple of months ago) dumped 1.5 lacks of repair now I'm thinking of getting a longer one cause the rear seats are crazy cramped and useless. Saving grace was I bought the car before the price ratcheted up so I don't lose a crazy amount of cash but its still a waste of time, money and energy. Buy a good car and restore it and keep for a couple of years. 

Also iRage since you recommended the Mark 2 can you drop some insight on the 1G-FE (Beams engine) in the 110? How much would it cost for that piston ring deteriorate thing to happen? is it a rare occurrence? I'm thinking of getting one meself as well. 

5 hours ago, caesarprime said:

What do you guys think about Toyota Verossa and Nissan Primera, saw some threads but couldn't get a clear idea

Really engaging and fun cars to drive from both Manufacturers. Finding a good one is key and is also the challenge. Most have been poorly maintained or gone in to the hands of wannabe racer ricers and hacked. Good ones hardly get sold and when they do..they fly off the market really fast.

I personally like the P11 Primera (FWD) more than the Verossa. Its more comfotable and feels a bit more engaged than the Toyota and the shifing feels more crisp. However, the Verossa (RWD) feels more exciting to drive as you feel you want to shove it in to corners. 

Why do they not get maintained properly ? Because you are not going to find cheap chinese parts for these cars at your kopi kade issaraha part shop. Then it is also because these cars are a little bit more advanced than your average Corolla and Sunny that an average maka baas is sure to mess things up.

8 hours ago, AVANTE said:

It seems the buyyas and sales people have overpriced the so called "market" cars. So as long as you avoid anything with a toyota/Suzuki/Fake gold Honda badge, you should be fine. 

There are models that are still going for the old rate. FB15s, Primera, EK3s, wingroad and such 20 odd year old cars are still going for the same rate.

Even the Civic FD1 is a good buy for under 3.5 mil. So much car and features for the money, anyone who overlooks an FD1 and goes for an axio is truly a nutcase. 

They have left the European and other "2nd market adu" cars alone as well.

Thanks a lot mate. I found a good A4, but it had been the 4th user who had been owning it, so a bit confused on the second hand market budget

3 hours ago, fiat fan said:

The mainstream Euros are sky high now. The CLA is up by 7.5Mil. 🙉 

The GLB which was on pre-orders from D*MO for 12mil is now 27.5mil in shady stealerships.

the f10 mudalali boys are having a party too. Up by 2mil.

chr takes the cake in the jdm scene. 5 mil jump for a REGISTERED POS.

True, and they are way over my current beginner budget

25 minutes ago, iRage said:

Well...the Euros that @fiat fan has suggested are out of the OP's budget anyway...

but euros like E30/E36...A4s, etc...seem to be within the same price bracket as before (well..marginal increases but nothing unbearable). Only hitch is good euros are hard to come by and are in the upper limits of the price scale and these days they hardly change hands because of the market.

What struck as odd to me was that you are looking for a sedan for just one year and you want to go for a SUV perhaps late next year (i.e. one year from now). May I ask why ? are you new to driving and want a smaller car to get used to or is it a matter of cash flow ? Considering the current market and the continuing importation ban one can never assess what is going to happen in one year's time. Irrespective of what the market conditions are...in SL buying a car for just one year of use was never a financially sensible option (unless you put ALOT of miles). So think hard before you decide what you are going to buy.

Thanks for the reply mate, yeah one reason is I am new to driving, and the other being I don't have much money atm as I have invested my earnings in other arenas. So I am wishing to go for a Montero by next year.

I do agree with you, because with the way it is going even if they lift this, don't think market prices will go down due to the increasing rate of dollar, and may be it will keep increasing afterall.

6 hours ago, matroska said:

You will not find an AE110 for that budget some folks are trying to peddle AE100's for that price. Heck there's even E90's for 1.5+ :D   In a nutshell you can get Euros for that budget - buzz Avante he'll entice you to buy a Pug. :D  If you're into Japs - Diesels are a bit cheap, Bigger Sedans are reasonably priced (old bluebirds camrys etc) - smaller sedans if you're looking at Mazda or the odd Mitsu CK1(that has escaped the clutches of the ricer bois) or humble wagons like AD (you said you want sedans) 

BTW  a 1992 Legacy suddenly appeared for sale in the classifieds yesterday  for a very very attractive price and disappeared within minutes :( 

Thanks a lot. Btw is Primera a model with after market value? It's backside look is pretty decent though (Probably the best ass i saw in a Nissan)

How about Mazda Axela 3

5 hours ago, iRage said:

Well....what I am leading towards is...why not buy a decent car first time around and then keep it for sometime ? Larger nicer cars are much more decently priced than the common ones you are looking at....buy a decent large car at a reasonable price..keep the extra money to fix the odd dents and scratches you will have during the first few months. You need to keep in mind that being used to the dimensions of a sedan is not going to make you automatically comfortable with dimensions of a Montero....so there will still be a learning curve...the only difference is that in one years time you will be more confident (but slightly shaken about the larger dimensions).

As for building confidence..make it gradual...start with low traffic times...then slowly build up..

That's one thing that I too was thinking, But the irregularities in price kept myself think on it twice. Saw a few 121s (1300) ones going for late 2Ms, but it's look makes me think twice about it.

Thanks for all ur cheering up advice

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Well...when I said a decent larger car I did not necessarily mean a 121 :)....Look at some Lancers or Axelas..or even something larger like a Primera or a Mark II or something....etc...a segment slightly higher than what you were looking at or something off the usual path

I see, almost all of them are muscly. Let me check. thanks again

On 12/10/2020 at 5:31 PM, iRage said:

On 12/10/2020 at 4:06 PM, MaleCortana said:

On 12/9/2020 at 2:02 PM, AVANTE said:

Yes, that was my way of saying "only buy a Peugeot if you're an enthusiast" 

On 12/8/2020 at 7:49 AM, iRage said:

What do you guys think about Toyota Verossa and Nissan Primera, saw some threads but couldn't get a clear idea

37 minutes ago, iRage said:

Really engaging and fun cars to drive from both Manufacturers. Finding a good one is key and is also the challenge. Most have been poorly maintained or gone in to the hands of wannabe racer ricers and hacked. Good ones hardly get sold and when they do..they fly off the market really fast.

I personally like the P11 Primera (FWD) more than the Verossa. Its more comfotable and feels a bit more engaged than the Toyota and the shifing feels more crisp. However, the Verossa (RWD) feels more exciting to drive as you feel you want to shove it in to corners. 

Why do they not get maintained properly ? Because you are not going to find cheap chinese parts for these cars at your kopi kade issaraha part shop. Then it is also because these cars are a little bit more advanced than your average Corolla and Sunny that an average maka baas is sure to mess things up.

I see, does P11s come with 1.8cc engines?

18 hours ago, caesarprime said:

Verossa is pretty much a mark II underneath, same drive train. Nissan Primera is a nice car indeed. 

SR20 (2000cc 4 cyl), 5spd, sunroof is what you want. Else there's the SR18 (1800cc) which is slower but slightly more efficient. Parts can be somewhat same or a bit more costly than other jap models depending on where you look. Also it's shorter (4.4m)