• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Upgrading sound system of the car

amsandun

Hi all,

I am hoping to upgrade my car sound system. Currently it runs with the OEM two speakers and after marker Pioneer AVH-A205BT head unit. My car is a Vitz. What are my options? Sizes, specifications and any other comments are most welcome.

PS: AVH-A205BT Output is MOSFET 50Wx4

But I don't need 4 speaker system, I am looking to install two only. A Subwoofer is not necessary I guess.

Has anybody here done this?

Thank you,

1 hour ago, amsandun said:

Hi all,

I am hoping to upgrade my car sound system. Currently it runs with the OEM two speakers and after marker Pioneer AVH-A205BT head unit. My car is a Vitz. What are my options? Sizes, specifications and any other comments are most welcome.

But I don't need 4 speaker system, I am looking to install two only. A Subwoofer is not necessary I guess.

Thank you,

I have very good experience with petcolanka. Both me and my dad used both of their branches at Narahenpita & Colpetty and I can't tell them apart as both had good techs. They will listen to your need and budget and give suggestions.

You might not have to still with factory size speakers. We have even done some modification to factory door trim metal and in some cases like in the classic KE72 needed customer made speaker support in the cargo area while keeping the factory  look.

I have work with them for after market headlights as well.

I would say just have a chat and see what suggestions they have.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amsandun said:

Hi all,

Thank you,

Yea in my wifes vitz, entry level budget install which came out quite well.

Just buy 4 Pioneer speakers off Damro, 6 inch

It fits just like oem, but you will need to drill holes to mount em as it's a 4 screw mount for the pioneer, and 3 plastic rivets for the oem speaker.

Should be genuine Pioneer 2 way or 3 way speakers 

Pair costs like 5500-7500, get 2 pairs 

No point going extreme on the vitz as we get the base model and it's not that well sound proofed and you dont have an amplifier.

But if you really want JBL sets cost like 22-25k Rs per pair with tweeters

10-18k per pair with no tweeters based on model

Infinity also in the same range.

Make sure your head unit is also genuine. Replace all 4, pls dont settle with 2, 

When you take out the rear door card the 6inch hole will be covered with a sound proofing layer of polythene, cut it to fit your speaker and screw it in. The wiring clip for the rear speakers can be found tucked in on the upper part of the of the speaker hole on both sides on the rear 

It's a very novice level diy job.

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

@kmeeg @tiv thanks for your inputs guys. I called Pet#o and told my requirement. They responded well and gave suggestions. Also I inquired from another shop about speakers. They both told that the original factory speaker is a good one. Pet#o guy suggested if I must go for new speakers, they could install 2 JBL or infinity speakers while keeping the originals bcz the originals are of good quality. Please let me know ur idea about this. 

On 3/17/2021 at 7:22 AM, tiv said:

you dont have an amplifier.

@tivwhy you say this? what about the 50x4 outputs of the head unit then?  

13 hours ago, amsandun said:

@kmeeg @tiv thanks for your inputs guys. I called Pet#o and told my requirement. They responded well and gave suggestions. Also I inquired from another shop about speakers. They both told that the original factory speaker is a good one. Pet#o guy suggested if I must go for new speakers, they could install 2 JBL or infinity speakers while keeping the originals bcz the originals are of good quality. Please let me know ur idea about this. 

May be you can check if you can remove the stock speakers and inspect. If the paper is thin and the travel is less the speaker cannot produce a good quality sound. Better quality material and a big range of travel will give you a warm pleasing sound.

If you go with a really high-end speaker with a really good quality material and a big travel the in-built headunit amp will not be enough. You will need an external amp to power. Lot of things go in to getting a good clear sound.. I'm not in to loud music but I prefer focusing on to each instrument, enjoy base lines and drum notes, warm vocals, etc..

If you decide on a mid level system assuming you use that stock pioneer head unit the audio guys might suggest something like a component speaker system (speaker and tweeter separate) to front for mid to high and a 2way more bass biased speaker to rear for more low end sound. 

You might be able to listen to some of the speakers there on display to get an idea too. Adding a small sub would give you your own world if you listen to some up beat music like Gypsies or Marians. (Yes I listen to them and similar sinhala pop and baila) 

Edited by kmeeg
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, amsandun said:

Are you sure the size is 6", many other forums and articles mention 6-1/2" is a fit. Or is it not an issue? 6 or 6.5

23 hours ago, kmeeg said:

May be you can check if you can remove the stock speakers and inspect. If the paper is thin and the travel is less the speaker cannot produce a good quality sound. Better quality material and a big range of travel will give you a warm pleasing sound.

If you go with a really high-end speaker with a really good quality material and a big travel the in-built headunit amp will not be enough. You will need an external amp to power. Lot of things go in to getting a good clear sound.. I'm not in to loud music but I prefer focusing on to each instrument, enjoy base lines and drum notes, warm vocals, etc..

If you decide on a mid level system assuming you use that stock pioneer head unit the audio guys might suggest something like a component speaker system (speaker and tweeter separate) to front for mid to high and a 2way more bass biased speaker to rear for more low end sound. 

You might be able to listen to some of the speakers there on display to get an idea too. Adding a small sub would give you your own world if you listen to some up beat music like Gypsies or Marians. (Yes I listen to them and similar sinhala pop and baila) 

On 3/19/2021 at 9:43 PM, amsandun said:

The factory ones are absolute crap, I ve owned 2 vitzs over the last 2 years

Binned 2 sets myself

Mostly plastic and paper, 

It's just bull that these newbies made up to self praise their car's workings, those who think car audio should mimick what you hear on a private bus. Clearly some mercs BMWs come with crappy speakers in low end models, and we bin them, yet go all flabbergasted on a used 600,000jpy cars speakers. Don't fall for these jokers 

6 - 6 and half it doesn't matter the speaker groove has long mounts that allows enough play to mount it, 

Using an amp will immensely improve the sound quality however, as you are looking to for a get by install, atleast do the task of swapping all 4. Or else after you get 2 good speakers you ll be going ninja on them as the sound quality is good, and in a few months due to the added load cheapo speakers from the front doors will start to sound like an asthmatic.

• Like 2

Factory speakers in fit may be crap. But most of the mid range models come with decent ones.

If you have the basic head set change it. High to mid range units give decent sound and will accommodate SD cards, USB and connection for the phone. Sadly radio only up to 90/93 MHz

Much better than Chinese crap with belec sound.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tiv said:

The factory ones are absolute crap, I ve owned 2 vitzs over the last 2 years

Binned 2 sets myself

Mostly plastic and paper, 

It's just bull that these newbies made up to self praise their car's workings, those who think car audio should mimick what you hear on a private bus. Clearly some mercs BMWs come with crappy speakers in low end models, and we bin them, yet go all flabbergasted on a used 600,000jpy cars speakers. Don't fall for these jokers 

6 - 6 and half it doesn't matter the speaker groove has long mounts that allows enough play to mount it, 

Using an amp will immensely improve the sound quality however, as you are looking to for a get by install, atleast do the task of swapping all 4. Or else after you get 2 good speakers you ll be going ninja on them as the sound quality is good, and in a few months due to the added load cheapo speakers from the front doors will start to sound like an asthmatic.

yes that was my thought too after checking the factory speaker a bit more. Checked only from outside. Didn't look like a decent speaker to me. I will look for a decent speaker set and get it installed soon. Let's hope for best. I don't think I need an Amp as I am also not a guy that listen to music in loud that much. Current Head unit will do. 

2 hours ago, kush said:

If you have the basic head set change it

A205BT Pioneer unit is not the one came with the car brother. I changed it from the Japanese set which has the limited FM frequency range in Sri Lanka.

This thread is a god send! Have been speculating how and what to install in my E110 corolla for a while now.
Could you guys advise me with a setup (great sound quality + bass)/ suggest with an approx cost?
I see Damro has legit Pioneer headunits and speakers/ tweeters albiet quite expensive (thinking per unit and not for a pair) and have also come across underseat subwoofers on Daraz. 

TIA

@tiv,if installing speakers can be done as a DIY, what do I need? I mean removing OEM speakers as they are rivetted and drilling holes. Do I need to drill holes in the rear doors too?

I went to P*tco and inquired. They are like, "why on earth you need to change the factory speakers dude, are you out of your mind? :D" they recommend to install new speakers to the rear. I am not sure. 

At Ch*mara, prices are ridiculous for a pioneer pair which looked like absolute crap.  

May I know the model you got in your car? Is it TS-G1620F? 

On 3/17/2021 at 10:52 AM, tiv said:

It fits just like oem, but you will need to drill holes to mount em as it's a 4 screw mount for the pioneer, and 3 plastic rivets for the oem speaker.

You mean drill holes on the door frames ? I thought the P130 Vitz doors came with the mesh onthe door board even if the speaker was not there behind it (thus the door board did not need drilling). The P10 and P90 series ones did not though.

As for the OEM speaker...that is strange that the speaker is connected directly on to the door. Are you sure the rivets are for the speaker and not the speaker base ? The Toyotas (90s, 2000s)I have changed speakers in (including our old SCP13) the OEM speakers were mounted on to a plastic "base" via screws and it was the base that was fitted to the door. The exception was the Fortuner...it did not have a base but the protective sheet had a hard plastic border around the cut out for the speaker. The base acts as a protective shield as well to stop water from the window draining on to the speaker.  So if the speakers required a different hole pattern the base could be drilled as opposed to the door. It is really strange that Toyota would just go and put a rivet on a speaker which is a common upgrade item (even in Japan...where installing a speaker will cost more than the speakers itself because of all the connectors and plates and stuff they put on...and is a 3 to 4 hole adapter was needed..I am sure there would be a overpriced adapter plate for it). 

On the strange chance that you do need to drill holes on the door metal...please do put some primer and paint on the holes to stop it from corroding. The water from the window can get on it and lead to rust issues...

Edited by iRage

14 hours ago, iRage said:

You mean drill holes on the door frames ? I thought the P130 Vitz doors came with the mesh onthe door board even if the speaker was not there behind it (thus the door board did not need drilling). The P10 and P90 series ones did not though.

As for the OEM speaker...that is strange that the speaker is connected directly on to the door. Are you sure the rivets are for the speaker and not the speaker base ? The Toyotas (90s, 2000s)I have changed speakers in (including our old SCP13) the OEM speakers were mounted on to a plastic "base" via screws and it was the base that was fitted to the door. The exception was the Fortuner...it did not have a base but the protective sheet had a hard plastic border around the cut out for the speaker. The base acts as a protective shield as well to stop water from the window draining on to the speaker.  So if the speakers required a different hole pattern the base could be drilled as opposed to the door. It is really strange that Toyota would just go and put a rivet on a speaker which is a common upgrade item (even in Japan...where installing a speaker will cost more than the speakers itself because of all the connectors and plates and stuff they put on...and is a 3 to 4 hole adapter was needed..I am sure there would be a overpriced adapter plate for it). 

On the strange chance that you do need to drill holes on the door metal...please do put some primer and paint on the holes to stop it from corroding. The water from the window can get on it and lead to rust issues...

image.png.392d33278aac788ccf87d78f4eb542e1.png

This is how it looked, had to drill out these rivets 

The rear door also had these 3holes but would not line up with the after market speakers

The pic is from a premium model that had oem speakers 

image.thumb.png.21c2a1f4ed52e1f2621037921795e54e.png

That is really really stupid of Toyota....why on earth would you rivert it ? How much money can they save on production costs by not putting in a screw ?

The housing I was talking about was for the front..and the rear (in the Mark X and Fortuner) had a smaller housing like that...but even then...the holes could have been drilled on to the factory base.

I took the pic from a youtube video...shows the front housing I was trying to explain...but it is on screws ! (there is no option to use the base that comes with the speaker as well because that woull leave a pretty gaping hole on top (the shielding for the speaker is up there).
image.png.0f5cf2a376e98bcd86fee47784cfdc83.png

Couldn't find a Mark X door pic..but it was like the door in the Camry....screws...

//image-cdn.beforward.jp/autoparts/original/202103/52766671/6693630-1.jpg

This is from a South African Fortuner forum I follow:...

The guy had drilled holes on the base to mount the speaker....as the stock base has enough thickness and meat on it. But in your rear speaker housing it seems like it is a very thin lip with just a small recess where the screw gets put in.http://www.fortuner4x4fans.co.za/forum/index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=614&h=23d7de9ad7362550e6752ffebce4b8703ce16061

but then...

http://www.fortuner4x4fans.co.za/forum/index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=615&h=3d1c13352c7b8577b73ffb15d17b7ea7f4b6c317

that is back on rivets ! I am pretty sure my fronts were on screws...and it had the stock speakers. 

What gives..hmm....there is cost saving and then there is..well this randomness...

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys - one of the original rear speakers in my car went off (I have disabled the front speakers).. So I bought new Original JBL speakers and installed. after sometime I noticed that when I press brakes the speaker stops for 1 or 2 seconds and then starts again.. Also when I adjusted the power mirror also it happened.. this doenst happen all the time, but occasionally when apply brakes etc.. now in that same side speaker (which blew off earlier) there is a distorted noise coming continously when playing the setup. Took it to the setup fixing guy and he said its because the kenwood setup I have might have a blown up IC and thats why the noise is distorted in one side of the speaker. Took it to an electrician and he said there is nothing he things wrong with the electrical side and to take it to the speaker fixing guys. So if the problem is actually not in the kenwood setup, i would waste money buying a new one, so I need to make sure actually its a fault in the player itself. Anyone has an idea?