• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Genesis GV80 - Cost in SL

Desh87

Hello guys,

wondering if anyone can help me to understand few things,

Thinking of moving to SL next year and want to take my brand new GV80 from Australia. 

1) how much tax and other costs will I have to bare if I do so

2) Would I have issues down the line since this vehicle is not used in SL. (Regarding parts and servicing)

TIA! 

88622E54-47E8-475A-80CB-96FF91FB39D6.jpeg

On 4/4/2021 at 11:28 AM, Desh87 said:

Hello guys,

wondering if anyone can help me to understand few things,

Thinking of moving to SL next year and want to take my brand new GV80 from Australia. 

1) how much tax and other costs will I have to bare if I do so

2) Would I have issues down the line since this vehicle is not used in SL. (Regarding parts and servicing)

TIA! 

88622E54-47E8-475A-80CB-96FF91FB39D6.jpeg

Nice car you got in Australia.

Answering your questions I would say its a big no no if you think you wont be charged high taxes, simply because of the following.

1. Duty and Taxes. Being a 2.5l (the smallest engine) would mean that you will be taxed Rs. 17,500,000 (Rs. 7000/- x Engine CC) and on top of it you will be charged a luxury tax (AU$ 108,000 = SLRs.  16,401,075 - 3,500,000) of Rs. 12,901,075. This is without the shipping and insurance charges.

2. As you very rightly said you will not have a big market as there wont be an agent who will bring down parts for you.

Ask yourself if you want to spend Rs. 46,802,000 on a car you will never be able to sell or else you enjoy the thing in Australia and sell it before you leave and then buy a car in Sri Lanka.

Easy Maths

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Gummybr Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Thanks to you I have a clear understanding now.

As you have mentioned, my best bet would be to enjoy my new ride in Australia and let her go before I leave.

Any recommendations for a budget of probably 30 million? I won’t mind a car but the plan is to travel a lot when I get back since I’ll not be doing a 9 to 5 in Sri Lanka. From all what I hear, the roads get bit bumpy when you go in to the rural areas. Hence the thinking behind a SUV.

any feedback is much appreciated!

TIA! 

PS. Should I probably consider a EV?

Edited by Desh87
Add

29 minutes ago, Desh87 said:

Any recommendations for a budget of probably 30 million

A 30mil budget gives you quite a lot of options actually. I am guessing the likes of crossovers like the RAV4, Santa Fe, etc..would be too small ?

The usual typical choice would be a 4-5 year old 150 series Prado. I suggest a dieselor a 4L petrol V4 vairant if you are not too concerned about the petrol bill. The V6s are somewhat rare. the most common is the 2.7L variant..but that thing is not the most perkiest thing on the road and it does get annoying to drive for the same reason. So your best bet would be a diesel.

If you are okay with something older..you might be able to pull out a 100 series Land Cruiser as well. The Pajero of the same era would also fit your bill I suppose...but I do beleive most are petrol variants.

For something a bit more up market...you could get a Disco 5 for a bit over your 30 mil budget...if not everything from late model Disco 4s to crossovers from BMW, Merc and Audi will fit within your budget.

Needless to say the Japanese options would be more plentiful in the market and would be an easier re-sale as well (Sri Lankans have some strange; some justifiable some not; ideas about Euros...especially used second+ hand ones).

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Desh87 said:

PS. Should I probably consider a EV?

God no, EVs in SL have a limited time span because the government really has no way of getting rid of batteries and if you want to travel a lot this will just give you range anxiety since there are outlets but you won't get it as common as a gas station. (especially if you want to travel to places where the roads are rough).

As for SUVs you can comfortably get any Japanese big SUV for your budget (Land Cruisers, Monteros {think they are called Shoguns} over there, Nissan Patrols etc). Wranglers have become quite popular but I don't know anything about maintaining them.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot guys! @iRage and @MaleCortana

Lots to think about here but definitely EVs are out of contention.

Thanks to you guys now I have an idea on what to look for. Just need to do some research on those names and see what will fit my needs the most.

Selecting a vehicle in Sri Lanka is not the easiest thing (as I’m finding out now) considering the price tag. You guys have made it much easier. Thanks heaps!

• Like 1

Well @iRage you forgot to mention the good old Diesel V8 Land Cruiser 70 series. If you want to do extensive travelling and want to go anywhere I would highly recommend that, seen a few (2010 upwards) up for sale.

@Desh87 good decision to enjoy it in Australia and to enjoy what Sri Lanka has. Hopefully the import restrictions would be lifted by end of the year and you might be able to get your hands on a new vehicle but not a Diesel for sure.

• Thanks 1

Oh right...honestly I thought it might be a bit too bare bones as it is not the most comfortable of options out there (well...you get 80s/90s type comfort). But yes...the 70 LC would be the most no-nonsense capable of the bunch. But then again..how many of those are around in SL ? Most are double cabs or troop carriers right ? Seen a few wagons and the ones I know who have them are sticking to them like the crabs.

• Thanks 1

If I’m only going to buy one vehicle, would have to look at the driving pleasure and comfort side of things as well. 

One of my other options would be to buy a Benz C class for my day to day for about 15 mil and buy another vehicle for about 15mil for my outstation travel.

Lots going in my head! LOL

How large of a SUV do you need (for outsation travel) ? How often would you be travelling outstation ? 

Considering the car market in SL...it might make more sense to have a comfy sedan for day to day use and when going outstation hire a SUV or a MPV. This will give you the fun uhumm....flexibility...of hiring out different types of cars for every trip...and you do not have to deal with the hassle of maintaining two cars and then getting rid of it.

I asked about the family size because for 15 mil you can get a 5-6 year diesel Sorento (or the likes of) or Fortuner or Montero Sport....(sadly there are no RAV4s of that vitange in SL..and the XTrail sucks and the Viatara is too small). Or a slighlty older Pajero or Prado would also be within budget...

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well even a 5 seater is enough for me as we are a young family.

As I won’t be doing a 9 to 5 job my plan is to travel a lot. So hiring would not be a options for me considering the cost.

Sorento looks to be a very decent car for the money you pay. Anything similar would do nicely I think. 

12 hours ago, Desh87 said:

Well even a 5 seater is enough for me as we are a young family.

As I won’t be doing a 9 to 5 job my plan is to travel a lot. So hiring would not be a options for me considering the cost.

Sorento looks to be a very decent car for the money you pay. Anything similar would do nicely I think. 

Well you dont need a hard core off roader if you want to travel around the country(psst.. even the so called big shots in their big SUV's park them at car parks and hire Mahindra or a Toyota Single Cab to go inside parks), so maybe then you should look at a crossover / softroader that will give you good handling and comfort. Like @iRage mentioned the above Montero Sport, Kia Sorento and the Fortuner are good options, also you could look at stuff like Discovery Sport, MB GLC etc. They will give you good handling and good ground clearance but they wont take you to extremes that I dont think you will venture.

Or take a Double Cab like a Raptor or the New Hilux. They have come a long way from the industrial vehicles and become better on road. (Heck you are from Australia, buddy you should know this stuff).

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Gummybr! Yes I’m not looking at going off road and that’s not my thing anyways. 

Yeah looking at most of the options that you have mentioned plus BMW X5 looks a good match too. 

Well I’m sure you guys know about cars more than I do. Although I must say the improvement of the driving comfort of Utes have gone through the roof!