• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda 6 (2013) or Merc c180 (2010)

shanakamm

Question

Hi Guys,

Planning to buy a car and these 3 are in my final list.

this will be a daily driver and mostly around 1000km monthly. Fuel consumption is not too big of an issue but hope these would do at least 8-10km/l in traffic. I would mainly look for handling/driving pleasure, safety, reliability, design and creature comforts. Also not a big fan of SUV or cross overs.

Since all of these are now decade old and used for more than 100k kms, would like to know the knows issues and parts availability too. 

Options:

• Mazda 6 (2013)
  • Mercedes c180 or c200 (2010) 
  • Lexus CT200h (2012) 

my budget is around 8-9 mil and please do let me know if you have any other recommendations too, or any other advice or tips regarding this is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

No idea about the Merc...but here are my two cents about the two Japanese offerings.

The CT200h is a bit of a disappointment if you are looking for an interesting drive. It feels like (and is) a glorified Prius. Driving engagement is just not there. If you get a F-Sport package then the slightly stiffer suspension makes the driving a bit more direct but also hurts the ride quality in roads like in SL. On the plus side, the interior does feel well appointed. In the right trim it even feels very upmarket.

Driving pleasure wise, the Mazda is miles ahead than the Lexus. The interior is pretty good (but compared to some trim levels of the Lexus the interior feels a bit less lux). Sadly, I doubt it will get the level of fuel economy you are expecting (for which you will have to go with the Lexus). If you are ready to go for a CT200 may I ask why you haven't considered a Mazda Axela ? Being the JDM variant, I feel  the car is a pretty good mix/compromise between the CT200h (it has the same hybrid system) and the Mazda 6.

• Like 1

Thanks @iRage for the comment. Not a big fan of Mazda axela/3 body style and interior though. But yes, it's economical and has all the bells and whistles. 

what are your thoughts on Hyundai Elantra and Kia Cerato 2013-2014 models ? I had kia cerato 2011 one and I really liked it. 

20 hours ago, shanakamm said:

what are your thoughts on Hyundai Elantra and Kia Cerato 2013-2014 models ? I had kia cerato 2011 one and I really liked it. 

These were the sedan taxis and uber cars in Vietnam and were crawling all over the place...haven't driven either but have been driven around quite a lot in them. Being taxis these cars had 200,000+ km on them and the interior and exterior components had held up quite well. No rattles...just the odd scratch or two on the plastics and once cleaned looked as good as new. I say this because this is miles ahead of what Kias and Hyundais used to be in the 90s and early 2000s where the plastics and stuff just simply broke away. Also, most of these guys claimed that all they do is just routine maintenance and do things like replace brake pads, clutch, etc... Granted..there were really hacked ones too..but even they just kept on running.

Ride comfort...a not too bad...comfortable...nicely appointed. The ride was firm..which is fine...but here is the thing...there was something about it that made it feel like you were never fully settled in and snuggled up inside the car. The seats felt benchy but still holding on to you in a funny way. The interior design itself...it was very black (might be a market/region thing though..even the likes of the Camry was the same).

The interior design of the Elantra felt very contemporary and trying to look futuristic in a pop-culturish way. So to me it felt like it would be out of fashion in a few years and look very out of place (you know how when you look at certain things and you wish it stayed in the 80s ? that sort of way). The Cerato dash made me feel the other way around. It felt like it was stuck in the 90s and someone stuck new tech on it.

So...I don't think they are bad cars and are pretty decent (now). Design wise...exterior looks pretty good but interior lacks a certain refinement and timelessness in its design. It will get the job done.  

Personally, I find the Mazda6 a better car and it is in a higher market segment than the Elantra and Cerato. 

• Like 1

Update:

test drove mazda axela, 3, 6 and c180. I think I'm really leaning towards mazda 6 now. It has all the features I need and more spacious than all others. I know its not the most fuel efferent car on the list, but I think I can live with that. 

hopefully will be able to finalize the deal within this week :) 

@iRage Planning to do few preventive maintenance like (engine, gearbox, breaks fluid checks also few suspension related items too), what would be the best place to do these things ? M*z*a or C*l*nial ? 

any tips from mazda 6 owners and experts are much appreciated. 

Edited by shanakamm

Have used all these cars.

Mazda 6 all the way. Try to get a 2015 Yom and up.

Never take it to carmart for any reason. Get a car checks done.

Make sure it’s rust free.

Fuel economy is ok really. 9ish if u drive sane.

much better than that tiny merc with the cheap willy bin interior.

Bargain hard because most people don't buy these bigger engined cars. Too scared and stupid to realize it’s the same kmpl as a premio with a 1500.

Try to get a 2.5L engine with the bells and whistles. 

find a good mechanic to take the car and drive safe.

Please avoid the urge to post cringey tiktoks like the premio/axio buggers. (Mumbling “eth mama pana pitin sandamali” )

• Like 3

What @fiat fan said....the 6 is the best all rounder on that list. For some reason should the 6 fall through or you fall-out of love with t...then the Axela/3.

Get a car check* done. Then take it to the other dealer....get whatever is identified to be faulty fixed. Depending on the mileage and the age you might want to look in to things like oil seals, suspension bushes, brake components, etc...but definitely do a complete fluid change (engine & transmission oil, brake fluid, etc...)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Mazda 6 all the way. Try to get a 2015 Yom and up.

would love to, but not in my budget mate. all are priced above 9mil these days. 2.5l is even higher than that. so 2013 or 2014. 😞 

Thanks both or the comments. I did the car checks already and its seems like a decent car. no major faults just suspension bushing replacement etc. 
so thinking of confirming the deal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shanakamm said:

would love to, but not in my budget mate. all are priced above 9mil these days. 2.5l is even higher than that. so 2013 or 2014. 😞 

Thanks both or the comments. I did the car checks already and its seems like a decent car. no major faults just suspension bushing replacement etc. 
so thinking of confirming the deal. 

30 seconds on the quick site shows me 2015 ish cars for 11 mil. wow that site is overpriced.

Vehicle-Sevana website shows 8.5 up for 2013. Hmm thats not bad considering these were 6 mil up before the sir came into power.

Also not many good examples for sale. Try to avoid a “modified” and insta/tiktok star child’s car. They are driven badly.

2013ish means pre facelift dash with the screen being a-part of the dash itself.

Seems like you already picked a car. Reduce the prices for the pending repairs and any upcoming soon. Tires are expensive af. So be vary.

Once you buy do a full service with all fluid and filter changes. Even if the owner claims it’s been done. Unless he can prove its been done within 3 months.

Finally get a nice detail done and small touches like tint/ carpets. It will give you a new car feeling.

Trust me, a good detail with a new wax/cheap nano coating.ceramic coating on a 10 year paint car is a waste of money. But the car will look and feel awesome. Best thing in Lanka now to a new car tbh.

Have some fun post pictures. Also please no cringe tiktoks or I’m gonna have to run you over.lol jk

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 9:17 AM, fiat fan said:

Also not many good examples for sale. Try to avoid a “modified” and insta/tiktok star child’s car. They are driven badly.

Think you are referring to the dark blue one 😉 lol. that's the one I checked. seems really okay car with only modification to the headlights. has all the records from day1 and properly taken care of. (not even a single scratch on any interior panels)  so compared to the other 2 I checked, this seems like a better deal.

Once you buy do a full service with all fluid and filter changes. Even if the owner claims it’s been done. Unless he can prove its been done within 3 months.

yes. that's the plan. 

Have some fun post pictures. Also please no cringe tiktoks or I’m gonna have to run you over.lol jk

lol. don't even have a tiktok or facebook accounts dude. so no need to worry about that.  

Seems like you already picked a car. Reduce the prices for the pending repairs and any upcoming soon. Tires are expensive af. So be vary.

I'm planning to close the deal by today. so yeah. :) 

Thanks @fiat fan and @iRage for helping to decide and for the tips. really appreciate. 

Edited by shanakamm
  • Thanks 1

used Mazda 06 for 2 years and merc for 2 years, driving pleasure - Mazda all the way, i used to go to Colonial for service and repairs back then (up to 2017) services provided was pretty decent. those cars did have a issue with front suspensions so better get them checked, also most of the cars were maintained by agents and used by people who loved cars so mostly shortcuts were not used.

Good luck once you own a mazda you will be a fan for life

• Like 1

I drove a mazda 3 2007 for almost 6 years and became a fan of mazda.  A month ago i was planning for an upgrade and options mazda 6 and c180 or 320d. The mazda fan inside me convinced me and ended going for the mazda 6 2016 model. I have driven c180, 320d, 520d and still the 6 is no shorter of competition with great driving pleasure and fun to drive. 

Yes there seems a front suspension issue which I'm trying to get it sorted. Apparently one of the mechanics at the agent also told the suspension issue but repairable... 

All the best with your mazda 6 and welcome to the club.... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quiet said:

those cars did have a issue with front suspensions so better get them checked

19 minutes ago, Hat said:

es there seems a front suspension issue which I'm trying to get it sorted. Apparently one of the mechanics at the agent also told the suspension issue but repairable... 

Thanks Guys, yes. this one has a small clucking noise on front suspension. going to M*zn* next week to see what the issue is. 

Post some pics mate. Am personally a Mazda fan.

A cousin has a riced interplay that he swears is heaven.

Cant be more Lankan than this can it?  “the redi wela” and junk in the garage. 

8eaf13b3-6610-47d2-997a-b207496930af.thumb.jpeg.8ad2df8be28567e1f9aa49379ecd8f84.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi @fiat fan sorry couldn't find time to reply. so finally bought it and did all the major/pending repairs and maintenance items. Replaced engine oil, ATF, replaced minor suspension parts and now feels like a brand without any squeaky or rattling noises. had to replace the battery too in order to fix i-stop. 

also some idiot hit my car from behind a week after I bought it and I hit the car in front of me causing 4 vehicle accident. had to replace rear bumper and front grill. Nothing major, but was on garage for 2 weeks for all of these. 

Will post some pics here later. only got images from the accident. 😁

20230717_082237 (Medium).jpg

Edited by shanakamm

On 8/17/2023 at 3:43 PM, shanakamm said:

Hi @fiat fan sorry couldn't find time to reply. so finally bought it and did all the major/pending repairs and maintenance items. Replaced engine oil, ATF, replaced minor suspension parts and now feels like a brand without any squeaky or rattling noises. had to replace the battery too in order to fix i-stop. 

also some idiot hit my car from behind a week after I bought it and I hit the car in front of me causing 4 vehicle accident. had to replace rear bumper and front grill. Nothing major, but was on garage for 2 weeks for all of these. 

Congratulations on your purchase. She is stunning!! Read through the entire thread and I was thrilled to see that you chose the Mazda. 

I was also planning to upgrade to a 6 after my Lancer EX, but I had to put that on hold due to the inflated prices and the country situation. 

Suggest you create a new thread dedicated to the car and use it to share your journey with the car if time permits.

Cheers!!

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:13 PM, shanakamm said:

Edited 7 hours ago by shanakamm

Congratulations on the car ! She does look very nice !!! I am not a big fan of soul red (or the other kind of red) on most of the Mazdas as it is so so common. Prefer this blue and the gun metail a lot more :)

As trinity suggested. Please create a separate thread for the car....later on if you feel like you want to share all the above discussions about coming to your decision, we can merge the threads together as well.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2023 at 3:13 AM, shanakamm said:

Well that started with a big bang (pun intended) 

Nice car dude. Get a good detail done on it. Also wheels will look cooler in a darker shade.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, trinity said:

Congratulations on your purchase. She is stunning!! Read through the entire thread and I was thrilled to see that you chose the Mazda. 

I was also planning to upgrade to a 6 after my Lancer EX, but I had to put that on hold due to the inflated prices and the country situation. 

Suggest you create a new thread dedicated to the car and use it to share your journey with the car if time permits.

Cheers!!

I always thought you be a “Mitsubishi till death do you part” guy

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2023 at 12:13 PM, shanakamm said:

Congratz! She looks stunning, great color as well. Am also a huge Mazda fan :D 

Headlight modification looks cool as well (Hope it has been done properly). Waiting to see some detailed pics in a new thread! 

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2023 at 3:52 AM, fiat fan said:

I always thought you be a “Mitsubishi till death do you part” guy

ha ha ha … I would’ve had Mitsubishi manufactured good cars like they used to. Unfortunately there’s no other sedan option after the Lancer EX which I could upgrade to. I was contemplating between the outlander and Mazda 6 for a while and I knew what excited me was the 6. 

Whichever car I drive, Mitsubishi will hold a special place in my heart always ❤️

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 6:43 PM, iRage said:

Congratulations on the car ! She does look very nice !!! I am not a big fan of soul red (or the other kind of red) on most of the Mazdas as it is so so common. Prefer this blue and the gun metail a lot more :)

As trinity suggested. Please create a separate thread for the car....later on if you feel like you want to share all the above discussions about coming to your decision, we can merge the threads together as well.

I love that Red bro. For me this car looks stunning in that color. But what you say is true, it’s very common. Blue and the gun metal colors are uncommon and suits the car well too. 

5 hours ago, trinity said:

I love that Red bro. For me this car looks stunning in that color. But what you say is true, it’s very common. Blue and the gun metal colors are uncommon and suits the car well too. 

Totally agree. Soul red colour goes well with its Kodo design

• Like 1