• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best car under 12 mil?

randika171

Question

11 answers to this question

Well....you are looking at the typical Euro brands if the lack of electric seats is a deal breaker.

For your budget, and ES requirements you will have to look at cars like a Toyota Crown, Camry, (one of 4 post 2010) Mark Xs, or a Nissan Teana or even a Mazda 6. Most of the Lexus you will find are going to be out of your budget or going to be older than what you desire. Even then, not all the specs had electric seats and electric memory seats. So you will have to look around a lot ALOT and still not find electric seats with memory.

It will be a lot easier to stick to cars like BMWs, Mercs and Audis. Which class of model will depend on the YoM (newer the car, the smaller it will be) . 

27 minutes ago, iRage said:

Well....you are looking at the typical Euro brands if the lack of electric seats is a deal breaker.

For your budget, and ES requirements you will have to look at cars like a Toyota Crown, Camry, (one of 4 post 2010) Mark Xs, or a Nissan Teana or even a Mazda 6. Most of the Lexus you will find are going to be out of your budget or going to be older than what you desire. Even then, not all the specs had electric seats and electric memory seats. So you will have to look around a lot ALOT and still not find electric seats with memory.

It will be a lot easier to stick to cars like BMWs, Mercs and Audis. Which class of model will depend on the YoM (newer the car, the smaller it will be) . 

Thank you for the reply. Electric seats is not an entire deal breaker but would be nice to have. I would like to get a 3 series, but they are all over 15 mil. The older ones don't have it. Currently looking at the civic sedans, but seems only the 2020 one has electric seats.. Need to do more research!

56 minutes ago, randika171 said:

What are the best options for a car under 12 mil for my first car?

I would prefer having electric memory seats since 2 of us are always driving.

Looking for at least 8-10 fuel consumption 

Don't like hatchbacks and prefer sedans

YOM should be at least 2010

If you are flexible for a crossover , there are few Honda Vezel RS came with electric memory seats around 2020

8 hours ago, randika171 said:

Currently looking at the civic sedans

There are Civic sedans in SL ? 99% of the Civics in SL were 1L turbo hatchbacks. Even then, being an econobox...electric seats were not a common addition to these cars.

As @sathyajithj99 had mentioned you can find them in a very very very few Vezel RSs will have it. Again, it was not a common option and I believe it was included in a special package as standard for a limited time.

Here is the issue I have with cars like the Civic, Vezel, Premio, Allion, etc....you are paying a LOT of money for an econobox for an option that...well the world lived without for ages. You are not getting a high performance car. You are not getting a premium car. Fine...the Civic is more interesting to drive than the Axio of the period but compared to the 1.5L (and other variants) of the Civic and even some of the other cars that are available, the 1L Civic is nothing to write home about. 

I know in Sri Lanka the choices are limited and the prices are crazy...but perhaps giving up memory seats and going for a slightly older Euro or even a premium Japanese brand will get you a car with more substance. If you are willing to purchase a 1L Civic...hunting down a Mazda 6 will give you a much better performer. Same with a Mazda3/Axela. Something like a Crown/Camry will give you a much more comfortable and premium ride. So.....look around. Consider the electric seats a cherry on top but not one of the more prime requirements.

11 hours ago, iRage said:

There are Civic sedans in SL ? 99% of the Civics in SL were 1L turbo hatchbacks. Even then, being an econobox...electric seats were not a common addition to these cars.

As @sathyajithj99 had mentioned you can find them in a very very very few Vezel RSs will have it. Again, it was not a common option and I believe it was included in a special package as standard for a limited time.

Here is the issue I have with cars like the Civic, Vezel, Premio, Allion, etc....you are paying a LOT of money for an econobox for an option that...well the world lived without for ages. You are not getting a high performance car. You are not getting a premium car. Fine...the Civic is more interesting to drive than the Axio of the period but compared to the 1.5L (and other variants) of the Civic and even some of the other cars that are available, the 1L Civic is nothing to write home about. 

I know in Sri Lanka the choices are limited and the prices are crazy...but perhaps giving up memory seats and going for a slightly older Euro or even a premium Japanese brand will get you a car with more substance. If you are willing to purchase a 1L Civic...hunting down a Mazda 6 will give you a much better performer. Same with a Mazda3/Axela. Something like a Crown/Camry will give you a much more comfortable and premium ride. So.....look around. Consider the electric seats a cherry on top but not one of the more prime requirements.

There's plenty of Civic sedans in riyasewana (1.0L ones, 2019 YOM). You're right. No point spending 12 Mil on a bad car, I need to reconsider my options or increase my budget! Sad situation in SL where even budget of over 10Mil cant get you a decent car :(

20 hours ago, randika171 said:

There's plenty of Civic sedans in riyasewana (1.0L ones, 2019 YOM). Y

Those 1L variants are not sedans. Those are hatchbacks? The sedan is sort of like a coupe-sedan so a lot of people think that too is a hatchback and that the hatchback is a sedan. I have seen the hatchback being incorrectly tagged as sedans in adverts. Most of the sedans are 1.6L. The 1.0L seems to be a low spec grade in most cases.

20 hours ago, randika171 said:

No point spending 12 Mil on a bad car, I need to reconsider my options or increase my budget!

I am not saying the Civic is a bad car. It is pretty decent for what it is. Its just that...at 12mil...is the 1L Civic THE car you want to spend your money on for an upgrade? 

Edited by iRage

17 hours ago, iRage said:

There are Civic sedans in SL ?

There are dozens of them - the hatch is predominant but a lot of sedans were imported between 2019 and Covid. 

17 hours ago, iRage said:

You are not getting a high performance car. You are not getting a premium car.

This is true - using a 2018 Civic - which back then cost a bit above 6 Mill - while i'd rate it well  above the likes of Axios and Premios, the Civic 1 L is not a performance car. 

I don't remember/not aware of exact specs so I don't know for sure if they have memory seats or not but a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord from the last decade will be within your budget and are excellent machines 

Edited by matroska

30 minutes ago, matroska said:

There are dozens of them - the hatch is predominant but a lot of sedans were imported between 2019 and Covid.

Well..yeah...the 99% part was for dramatic effect. But are they 1L turbos or 1.5/1.6 L engines ? Also, if I am not mistaken most of the 1L sedans are base trim. The 1.5/1.6 sedans are more higher spec but then I suppose it would cost more ?

30 minutes ago, matroska said:

I don't remember/not aware of exact specs but modern Camry's and Accords might have memory seats but those are pretty good cars. 

The JDM variants of the Camry came with electric seats but not with memory. However, I have seen export variants in Vietnam and Singapore that has electric seats with memory. So maybe there are some agent imported variants with electric seats with memory ?

As for the Accord...yes...they come with electric seats with memory ! However, even the 2013 models are above the stated budget. Also, I believe all the JDM variants were Hybrids. So if Hybrids are a no go, then the OP will have to look for a export model imported by the agents.

Having said that... @randika171...you really should drive a Hybrid Crown, Camry, Accord. They are nothing like Aquas and Fits...they are setup totally different (more to provide assist to the gasoline engines rather than to try to chug around in EV mode). However, hybrid systems from 10 years ago are not as refined as the modern day ones.

Edited by iRage

7 hours ago, iRage said:

Well..yeah...the 99% part was for dramatic effect. But are they 1L turbos or 1.5/1.6 L engines ? Also, if I am not mistaken most of the 1L sedans are base trim. The 1.5/1.6 sedans are more higher spec but then I suppose it would cost more ?

The 1L turbo Civic sedans are not base trim.. They also have almost identical specs to the hatchback grades of the 1L model, with only little differences (when it comes to adaptive dampers- sedans don't come with it etc.)

The sedan NA 1.6 L was imported by the agents and it carries a little less options than the UK 1L sedans.. There were a few 1.5L turbo sedans imported by the agents as well as Aussie imported ones in SL but they are rare to come by.. There are even a handful of 1.5L turbo hatchback Civics in SL as well..

If you have the budget go for a 1.5L turbo Civic, I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed.. with 174hp in sedan form and 185hp in the hatchback form it is a joy to drive and handles like a Euro with good options..

7 hours ago, iRage said:

Having said that... @randika171...you really should drive a Hybrid Crown, Camry, Accord. They are nothing like Aquas and Fits...they are setup totally different (more to provide assist to the gasoline engines rather than to try to chug around in EV mode). However, hybrid systems from 10 years ago are not as refined as the modern day ones.

As @iRage mentioned, the Crown Hybrid from 2007-2010 with all its options and hybrid powertrain is also a joy to drive and full of luxury not sure if it fits in the OPs budget though.. The Accord hybrid is very reliable and powerful and packs a lot of options as well.. This powertrain is more refined than the DCT Honda hybrids and the latest Honda e:HEV hybrid powertrain is more or less the same to what is there in the Accord hybrid since 2013.. There were a few available below the OPs budget ceiling however, they were high mileage ones.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

As @iRage mentioned, the Crown Hybrid from 2007-2010 with all its options and hybrid powertrain is also a joy to drive and full of luxury not sure if it fits in the OPs budget though.

It can go either way...seems like the price range can be anywhere between 11mil to 14mil...still worth a try. Its the same case with the Camry and the Accord as well. Still worth a check as you never know what can be negotiated. There was a red Camry I saw the advert for as this thread pop'd up. Saw 3 different adverts for it...one was close to 17, second 16 and the last I saw was 12.75. Now the advert is gone. It was a nicely kitted out car too...with the tasteful bodykit.

Earlier St@ffo#d Motors only imported 1.6L Civic sedan which had basic options compared to hatch and other grey imported 1L /1.5L sedans.

Then they also started to bring down a few 1.5L sedans. But already they had brandnew 1.5L Accord and there was no big price difference between them as taxation was based on engine capacity , so people who wanted to buy brandnews went for much refined Accord. But only a few were imported before restrictions.

Also some grey import 1L sedans have options same as 1L hatch , grades like EX, EX technology package. But adaptive damper is not available with sedan AFAIK

Edited by sathyajithj99