• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rear Wheel Steering... Why Not??

Shismo

Hi Guys,

I was wondering whether it was possible to implement rear wheel steering to FWD car? I guess it would solve the Torque Steer issue and would also be less expensive to build than RWD car. I wonder what the handling characteristics will be of such a car? Oversteer? Understeer?

I know this sort of setup was used on the ThrustSSC project for the land speed record.

Let me know your thoughts on this guys.. :blink:

There have been cars with rear wheel steering mechanisms - one such example would be the Super HICAS system on the Z32 300ZX's

but the application you should look into is the Honda Prelude - Front wheel drive car with 4 wheel steering

Edited by Devinda_Z

There have been cars with rear wheel steering mechanisms - one such example would be the Super HICAS system on the Z32 300ZX's

but the application you should look into is the Honda Prelude - Front wheel drive car with 4 wheel steering

Ahem. HICAS was available on the 4 wheel drive GT-Rs too. You should look into Hondas my behind! But anyway, those are very limited angles. I think this post is talking about handling all the steering through the rear wheels and leaving the front wheels to put the power down only. I guess it might be possible with EPS or steer-by-wire, no need to physically connect the steering wheel to the steering mechanism. Tho thats zero feel for driving enthusiasts.

if u remember the meroon/green R33, it had HICAS, when the car is taking a corner 80KMH+ rear wheels rurn, it look so sweet, but the HICAS test ended with a Drifting competition and it ended with bold tyres :D

i doubt it'll kill understeer or oversteer. and those systems are strictly limited to low speeds if i'm right. plus you might not generate enough lock to activate the system at high speeds.

either way i'd stay clear away from those systems cos i kno its going to be a surreal feeling having the rear move about in corners.

5th gear tested a laguna with 4ws sometime back. if you find that clip on streetfire that oughta give you a good understanding on why its not really that great in real life

i doubt it'll kill understeer or oversteer. and those systems are strictly limited to low speeds if i'm right. plus you might not generate enough lock to activate the system at high speeds.

either way i'd stay clear away from those systems cos i kno its going to be a surreal feeling having the rear move about in corners.

5th gear tested a laguna with 4ws sometime back. if you find that clip on streetfire that oughta give you a good understanding on why its not really that great in real life

Hmmmm Most seems dosent like rear wheel drive !!!

:action-smiley-028: Lets take a Lancer box (rear type), have seen meny of them running day to day in roads...

Heard that rear wheel driving is effect slightly negative in fuel efficency...

Driving n handling is not that difficult, even without power stering...

:action-smiley-028: Lets take a Lancer box (rear type), have seen meny of them running day to day in roads...

i dunno about fuel economy, but try putting about 200 horses down through the rear in the wet - i guarantee you'll be suprised! :lol:

its not rear wheel drive thats the question here , but rather rear wheel STEERING , where the rear wheels actually turn.. :mellow:

:blink: Man, you need to pay more attention. We weren't even talking about rear wheel drive, its on rear wheel steering.

back to original topic,

draw back of having rear wheel steer is the turning is not as sharp as front wheel steer. Imagine this, you see an oncoming vehicle occupying most of your lane, and you cut into left to avoid. If you had rear steer, then the back of the vehicle will first move towards right before it really moves the "nose" of the vehicle towards left..

Edited by harshansenadhir

i dunno about fuel economy, but try putting about 200 horses down through the rear in the wet - i guarantee you'll be suprised! :lol:

its not rear wheel drive thats the question here , but rather rear wheel STEERING , where the rear wheels actually turn.. :mellow:

He was talking about RWD from the start, but has posted a wrong title, maybe :D

I'll prefer rear wheel drive anyday over front wheel drive

we are talkin about rear wheel steering here

back to original topic,

draw back of having rear wheel steer is the turning is not as sharp as front wheel steer. Imagine this, you see an oncoming vehicle occupying most of your lane, and you cut into left to avoid. If you had rear steer, then the back of the vehicle will first move towards right before it really moves the "nose" of the vehicle towards left..

mt two cents ....

Personally i would imagine rear-wheel steering to be quite wobbly.. but might not be that bad in small doses.

Edited by Dilesh

The original posting is confusing and you guys are thinking both ways when the actual question is not clear enough... :lol:

Yo! there is nothing confusing with the original post - real wheel steering in a FWD car - that's as clear as it could be put

Edited by HardHat

The original posting is confusing and you guys are thinking both ways when the actual question is not clear enough... :lol:

I was wondering whether it was possible to implement rear wheel steering to FWD car? I guess it would solve the Torque Steer issue and would also be less expensive to build than RWD car. I wonder what the handling characteristics will be of such a car? Oversteer? Understeer?

looks like few of us were confused, but he was talking about rear wheel steering, not RWD. But am wondering how it could be less expensive compared to getting a RWD or doin other mods to overcome torque steer or anything, unless your designing cars for a car manufacturer. I'd rather get a car with ATTESA lol

back to original topic,

didn't really think of it like that , but thats excellent logic! :o

Rear Wheel steering to a Front Wheel Drive car, wow I guess it is like driving the car on reverse! He he.... One crazy fellow did that kind of thing to a Fiat 126! Well for ideas on how it would turn out to be see this----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlC93lTEwBQ

:blink:

am i seeing things or does that car have 2 drivers able to manouver both sets of wheels whilst being able to drive it in the "wrong" direction? :huh:

crazy sh*t! :D

looks like few of us were confused, but he was talking about rear wheel steering, not RWD. But am wondering how it could be less expensive compared to getting a RWD or doin other mods to overcome torque steer or anything, unless your designing cars for a car manufacturer. I'd rather get a car with ATTESA lol

:lol: you and a few more i recon :)

but i began to wonder what aside from the GTR's had both the ATTESA & HICAS and suprise suprise i ended up with a Bluebird! :blink:

Ref the SSS-R section at the end! :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Bluebird_U12