• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oils

Elvis_Pil

Question

Guys just wondering.. what engine oil do you use in your pride & joy?? Does the oil really make a substantial difference? Which of the brands over here would you go for? Are the premium brands really worth the price and do they clean the way the branding/advertising promises?? Anyway how do you judge the better oil- by how long you can run it or by the way it performs? What are the key factors that make you bias to a certain type or brand of oil? Is there anything different to consider when it comes to forced induction cars?

• Answers 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I use Mobile Super for My Honda and change it every 5000kms

And Castrol for the Toyota which also change it in every 5000kms

Castrol was recomended by my friend who works at Toyota..

Hay Hola,

just put in castrol Magnetic - It's supposed to have magnetic partials in the oil and it clings on to the engine... etc.... I was told to change it every 80000K ( I don't really thrash my baby either... occasionally may be.... How is the GTX ?

What abt the grade 10w30, 15w40...etc... what should i use... i wanna reduce the engine noise if possible

the value before W actually relates to Winter, basically it refers to the thickness of the oil in Winter temperatures. It doesnt quite matter as much in Sri Lanka, becase the ambient temperature is quite high and thus it would have little bearing on performance or anything. You may think of it I guess as the amount of protection the engine oil provides in cold weather.

the next value refers to the thickness of the oil (the viscosity) in standard operation temperatures. This is essentially the value you are interested with. The thicker the oil the more protection it provides, though there is another issue to contend with. The oil pump and engine internals are tested with the type of oil that is reccomended by the manufacturer thus putting too thick oil might result in problems as well as the efficiency of pumping oil arround the engine is affected.

Sometimes using a thicker oil than reccomended if your engine is a bit worn, or you have problems with noisy oil pressure tappets seem to help.

thinner oil means faster flow, but also less protection and thus a bit more wear and tear. though you also tend to get a slight performance increase.

Unless you have a specific reason to change the oil type, what I suggest is stick to the grading reccomended by the manufacturer.

the manufacturer says go with 10W30... but when i check from a shop the guy said they dont get that anymore.....

chris, I really felt good pick up and little better FC with mobil 1 - 0w40 after I changed from 15 or 20W 50 havoline fully sysnthetic. Mine is now 22k, so I intend to stick with mobil 1 untill 35 or 40K. If hyundai manual says 10 w 30, I guess available mobil 40 range should be ok, if you do not drive your car more severely.

chris, I really felt good pick up and little better FC with mobil 1 - 0w40 after I changed from 15 or 20W 50 havoline fully sysnthetic. Mine is now 22k, so I intend to stick with mobil 1 untill 35 or 40K. If hyundai manual says 10 w 30, I guess available mobil 40 range should be ok, if you do not drive your car more severely.

i dont drive the car fast... so ill go fo 15W40 or 10W40....

any specific mobil 1 i should be using.....

thanks machan

As long as you change your oil at regular intervals (about 3500km's- original filters) even the Caltex you use will do. If you want to change- try Mobil XHP.

Many of you guys recommending Mobil XHP but what is the grading of Viscosity you are talking about? Because Mobil XHP comes as Super XHP 20W-50 and Super XHP Plus 15W-40. Which one do you recommend?

Edited by Bharath

Many of you guys recommending Mobil XHP but what is the grading of Viscosity you are talking about? Because Mobil XHP comes as Super XHP 20W-50 and Super XHP Plus 15W-40. Which one do you recommend?

machan would you mind me asking what your car is Bharath and the mileage?

if its something with a slightly newer engine i'd highly recommend Mobil 1 full synthetic

40 is best - 50 is best left for a car with a slightly high mileage i feel...

Edited by Devinda_Z

machan would you mind me asking what your car is Bharath and the mileage?

if its something with a slightly newer car i'd highly recommend Mobil 1 full synthetic

40 is best - 50 is best left for a car with a slightly high mileage i feel...

Thanks for the reply machan. The car is a Vios E 2003 Automatic with 34k on the odo. I don't have the manufacturers guide with me.

I took my car to Pitstop for oil change as you all know Pitstop does only BP and Castrol they suggest me BP visco 3000 which is 20w-50. They have the minimum viscosity of 20w in mineral oil. So I did the service with BP Visco 3000. My question is, Isn't 50 too thicker for a 2003 engine cos obviously thicker oil will increase the oil preassure. Which is the best mineral multigrade oil for a 2003 Vios? I don't mind changing the oil again if 50 is too thicker for the engine.

I don't really need synth machan I thought of I will be ok with a good mineral multigrade oil.

I think I better go for the Mobil Super XHP Plus 15W-40 which I use with my 1999 FB15, What do you think?

Edited by Bharath

Thanks for the reply machan. The car is a Vios E 2003 Automatic with 34k on the odo. I don't have the manufacturers guide with me.

I took my car to Pitstop for oil change as you all know Pitstop does only BP and Castrol they suggest me BP visco 3000 which is 20w-50. They have the minimum viscosity of 20w in mineral oil. So I did the service with BP Visco 3000. My question is, Isn't 50 too thicker for a 2003 engine cos obviously thicker oil will increase the oil preassure. Which is the best mineral multigrade oil for a 2003 Vios? I don't mind changing the oil again if 50 is too thicker for the engine.

I don't really need synth machan I thought of I will be ok with a good mineral multigrade oil.

I think I better go for the Mobil Super XHP Plus 15W-40 which I use with my 1999 FB15, What do you think?

Machan, Don't use SAE 50 oil its bit too thick. the best thing is to Call the dealers and ask what suitable Viscosity level is for your engine. (Vios came with 1NZ-FE engine which is VVT-i) fr my Corolla (1ZZ-FE Engine) they recommend to use 10W-40 or 15W-40. what i herd is it's not good to use thick oil cos it screw your engines VVT-i System, basically very much dependent of oil pressure. :rolleyes:

Machan, Don't use SAE 50 oil its bit too thick. the best thing is to Call the dealers and ask what suitable Viscosity level is for your engine. (Vios came with 1NZ-FE engine which is VVT-i) fr my Corolla (1ZZ-FE Engine) they recommend to use 10W-40 or 15W-40. what i herd is it's not good to use thick oil cos it screw your engines VVT-i System, basically very much dependent of oil pressure. :rolleyes:

I drained the oil which is only two days old and filled with Mobil Super XHP Plus 15W-40 with new Oil Filter this afternoon. In future I will be taking Mobil Super XHP Plus to Pitstop. Thanks for the advice machan. Much appreciated....

I don't know why these Pitstop guys are recommending thicker oil for the newer cars, even I saw they were filling 20W-50 to a brand new Swift. 50 is way thicker for newer engines.

Dude dont worry too much about the oil- in a auto vios I hardly think your not gonna push the engine too the limit and just wanna take care of it.. therefore considering the miles on the car as well the Super XHP is a practical option- its the best bast bang for buck 40 grade oil. You dont have to bust more rupees on more expensive oils as they are not needed..

Dude dont worry too much about the oil- in a auto vios I hardly think your not gonna push the engine too the limit and just wanna take care of it.. therefore considering the miles on the car as well the Super XHP is a practical option- its the best bast bang for buck 40 grade oil. You dont have to bust more rupees on more expensive oils as they are not needed..

Thats why I don't need to go for Synth oil machan, as its a automatic family car Mobil Super XHP Plus will be fine. Thank you for your help.

Edited by Bharath