• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Convert Manual To Auto

sali780

Question

18 answers to this question

I have a manual lancer GLX 2002. Can it be converted to auto gearbox? what will be the cost?

Hi Mate

the First of all i want to ask you why do you want to go for auto from manual ? :blink:

there is no valid reason rather than (you can't balance the Clutch properly or you are lazy to operate manual)convert auto to manual will be possible you might be able to find a auto box for a reasonable price around 30-40K(not sure about this price), but you may need some cut and bud work to tunneling auto gear box that will be more expensive than your auto gear box prices sometimes :)

thanks

regards

sumith

Maybe he wants to sell the car for a higher value? :) It's the wrong way around in the SL market right, while most other countries have more demand for manual cars? o.O

More like SL is probably trying hard to be like the USA or Canada. While manuals are probably still the majority in Europe, unfortunately manual cars are an almost dead breed in most parts of the States and also South America from my personal observations, and thats a huge market. Not sure about Australia.Hardly anyone in the under 25 age group in the USA can even drive a manual (though they think its cool if you can!) mostly due to lack of access to one. I drove a manual Accord there for years and rarely came upon a single other one. Only thing I didn't need to worry about much was theft, since nobody's interested in stealing a manual car :D Over here you're right, I'm seeing most of the cars you would normally expect to have a manual having auto instead. I hate driving econoboxes with automatics (my econobox is bad enough with a manual), but whatever suits the owner I guess :blink:

More like SL is probably trying hard to be like the USA or Canada. While manuals are probably still the majority in Europe, unfortunately manual cars are an almost dead breed in most parts of the States and also South America from my personal observations, and thats a huge market. Not sure about Australia.Hardly anyone in the under 25 age group in the USA can even drive a manual (though they think its cool if you can!) mostly due to lack of access to one. I drove a manual Accord there for years and rarely came upon a single other one. Only thing I didn't need to worry about much was theft, since nobody's interested in stealing a manual car :D Over here you're right, I'm seeing most of the cars you would normally expect to have a manual having auto instead. I hate driving econoboxes with automatics (my econobox is bad enough with a manual), but whatever suits the owner I guess :blink:

Well yeah, if you consider the fact that a majority of vehicles on the road (Toyotas, Swifts, etc) are driven by middle aged men/women who, unlike us, don't fancy throwing that shifter around. They just wanna get in, put it in D, and amble around... :D I don't think they know why God gave us two feet... :)

Yeah, I too heard the same from friends who went to US recently. They can't find decent manual cars and the good ones are kept by people who don't wanna sell their 'babies' :) In Aus, it's still manual AFAIK cuz they like muscle cars and being guys :D

True, I'm having a hellish time trying to find a good powerful car for around 1.5M with a manual gearbox here in SL already blink.gif Normal Integra (non-Type R), normal Skyline, Civic EK, all auto... dry.gif

Well yeah, if you consider the fact that a majority of vehicles on the road (Toyotas, Swifts, etc) are driven by middle aged men/women who, unlike us, don't fancy throwing that shifter around. They just wanna get in, put it in D, and amble around... :D I don't think they know why God gave us two feet... :)

Lets teach them left foot breaking then :D

True, I'm having a hellish time trying to find a good powerful car for around 1.5M with a manual gearbox here in SL already blink.gif Normal Integra (non-Type R), normal Skyline, Civic EK, all auto... dry.gif

I was in the same boat as you for 4 freaking months. Drove me absolutely bat crazy.

Did you try a Primera? Or maybe a Glanza?

keeping it back on topic...............

You will need an auto transmission, torque convertor, a new radiator that has a transmission fluid cooler, cooler lines, wiring, auto shifter, new instrument cluster and the trim that goes around the shifter, among other things. It can be done, and will cost you quite a bit (can't think of the exact cost right now), but if you feel like the only option you have is to convert, then you should go ahead with it. If you are mechanically inclined you may save a bit on labour costs for small things like installing the new instrument cluster and the wiring. Keep in mind tjhat if you are going this route you should probably drop the tranny pan and clean it along with a filter change. It would serbve you well if you get the system flushed after installing everything and driving it around a bit.

You will need an auto transmission, torque convertor, a new radiator that has a transmission fluid cooler, cooler lines, wiring, auto shifter, new instrument cluster and the trim that goes around the shifter, among other things. It can be done, and will cost you quite a bit (can't think of the exact cost right now), but if you feel like the only option you have is to convert, then you should go ahead with it. If you are mechanically inclined you may save a bit on labour costs for small things like installing the new instrument cluster and the wiring. Keep in mind tjhat if you are going this route you should probably drop the tranny pan and clean it along with a filter change. It would serbve you well if you get the system flushed after installing everything and driving it around a bit.

if it's going to be so much work it's probably easier to sell the car and buy an auto :)

I was in the same boat as you for 4 freaking months. Drove me absolutely bat crazy.

Did you try a Primera? Or maybe a Glanza?

There was one with a neo, but no CVT for me. And no hatches either.

Sorry unsure.gif And also you'd need to upgrade or do something about your ECU if I'm not mistaken, which is difficult if its one time programmable. In that case, a new one.

if it's going to be so much work it's probably easier to sell the car and buy an auto :)

Very true, it's easier to find an auto than a manual now :) So it's the best choice naturally, but if you like a challenge, go ahead.

34 minutes ago, Upamal said:

I have a manual Toyota 110 (1997). Can it be converted to auto gearbox? what will be the cost?

Yes...it can be converted to auto...you will need to get everything from the flywheel to the gearbox to the pedal...I do believe the 5A-FE in the E110 series Corolla had one ECU for manual transmissions and another for Automatic. I also beilieve that the difference was that the paramaters were different and that can be changed. So you may or may not need a new ECU. Also, if you are to do a proper job...you will need a meter panel for an automatic. But this means that the mileage is now different and when you try to resell it there is a chance that your car will come off as a meter rolled car (don't forget the eco tests would have the actual mileag from the last inspection....so you will have to roll back the mileage on the new meter panel). Then you will also have to setup the key lock mechanism etc....

All in all....if you don't go to a good and experienced mechanic...your conversion is going to look ^&(#*&^## !

Cost...no idea...you will have to go to a garage and get a rough estimate. Go to a reputable garage. A maka baas place will give you all kinds of prices just so that they can get your business and then stick you with crappy parts and hidden charges.

Why do you need to convert ? A good conversion might be costly. If the conversion is bad then the value of your car drops. Doing the conversion is not going to increase the value of your car either (in fact I always thought MT were more desireable for that model). If it was me...I would be tempted to just sell the manual car and get a newautomatic car and then spend the money from the conversion to give the new auto car a good resto-fix. But finding a good Corolla is quite hard.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Upamal said:

I have a manual Toyota 110 (1997). Can it be converted to auto gearbox? what will be the cost?

Yes it should be possible - but as irage mentioned you need to source the correct ECU . There are two separate ECU's for Auto and Manual in the 4EFE of the same era so I assume it's the same storry with 5AFE.

Used gearboxes will cost around 40,000-50,000 nowadays I guess and an ECU will be around 15,000-20,000. You will also need to sort out small stuff like gear cables etc. Labor cost will vary.

Not sure about the labor cost - so speak to a mechanic/garage - do some research find the ECU number and see if the parts shops have them. Just checked on the classifieds ( I***n) a Recon 5AFE Engine + Gear box + wire harness combo is 200,000. You might call them up and ask if you can separately buy the gearbox and ECU

As for the option of selling the Manual and buying an Auto - I would have suggested it during any other time but not now - since you'll have to pay crazy prices for the Auto car and probably end up with a lemon anyway. 

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2010 at 2:23 PM, heavyD said:

ahhhh not to make a statement or anything like that....

Few old folks like me who hailed from the good old days of driving car  with no power steering, auto gears , clutch balancing etc  still love to handle the stick 😄

Would it not be easier to sell and by a similar car with auto ? 

• Like 1