• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Triumph T R Restore Project

MasterDon

Nice set of filters mate. This will definitely add some "bling" to the engine too. By the way, can the filter element be replaced when it's at the end of it's lifetime?

Well they are supposed to last a lifetime with proper care.They even sent me a 'recharge kit' to clean them up every six months or so...but yeah,if the element gets damaged it can be bought seperately without the housing,

In my case,The budget I set aside for the in the begining for the TR ran out last week.So any progress from here on will depend on my future earnings.

You actually set aside a budget? Wow that's admirable. I tried doing it that way with predetermined estimates; but I always ended overshooting by a huge margin. I just gave up and went with the flow. It's less stressful (I think) to not keep an accurate count :D

Yeah I've blown my budget already. Now robbing banks and rich relatives.

K&n get some good reviews regarding their filter elements. I've read up a boy on that as well. Changing mine eventually as well. Luckily motorcade stocks my model.

Waiting for the tr to roll out man

You actually set aside a budget? Wow that's admirable. I tried doing it that way with predetermined estimates; but I always ended overshooting by a huge margin. I just gave up and went with the flow. It's less stressful (I think) to not keep an accurate count :D

I sure did GTAm,with seperate bank account,estimates and even allocated an extra amount for unforseen expenses.And in all modesty it wasn't a small amount either.But alas,like you I still somehow ran out of money with about 30% of the work still to be done.Now I'm on scavanging mode,every scrap I earn will go toward completing the TR...But I have no regrets of the money spent.Firstly because it is a great car to own and secondly even if if i count it purely as an investment,It still makes sense.

Edited by MasterDon

I sure did GTAm,with seperate bank account,estimates and even allocated an extra amount for unforseen expenses.And in all modesty it wasn't a small amount either.But alas,like you I still somehow ran out of money with about 30% of the work still to be done.Now I'm on scavanging mode,every scrap I earn will go toward completing the TR...But I have no regrets of the money spent.Firstly because it is a great car to own and secondly even if if i count it purely as an investment,It still makes sense.

Very true MasterDon. It's a great investment and especially in SL it's better than gold. Massive hedge against inflation while providing you fun! :)

• Like 2

The air filters have been attached.In most cases you'll have to adjust the air/fuel mixture and idle when new air filters have been fitted.But here that wasn't required,she seems to be breathing easily even at the top end.These filters seem to be a worthy investment for now, but I will keep an eye out on how well it filters small dust particles and update you in a couple of months time.

Don't mind the dirty engine compartment,haven't cleaned it in a while...

KbopR3D.jpg

KxJGXf7.jpg

So the last few days I've been focusing on getting all the guages working.And apart from the amperage meter not functioning(which seems to be a problem with the cut-off) I have suceeded.

Don't you just love how the needles dance around in these old cars...

First of all the the fuel guage sensor unit,the water temperature sensor,RPM cable,oil pressure and the speedometer drive were fixed.Then I had all the guages taken apart and serviced.I am missing the original Jaeger temperature and oil pressure guages.Luckily my Mini Minor had two Smiths ones which fit.But these are temporary,I have already ordered two original reconditioned Jaeger temp and oil guages for the TR2...

below is the speedometer drive.This goes in to the OD unit in the gearbox.

kNSmklj.jpg

The RPM cable union,and in the background the oil pressure hose can be seen attached to the filter

dBJPOq6.jpg

and the coolant temp sensor,this goes near the water pump...

ZSpdjDY.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

Don't you just love how the needles dance around in these old cars...

Hi MD is this due to a worn wheel or something like that? The tacho needle on my Giulia is the same and has been bugging me for a while now.

Hi MD is this due to a worn wheel or something like that? The tacho needle on my Giulia is the same and has been bugging me for a while now.

Had the same issue on one of my old cars and it was because the square shaped slot onto which the cable plugged in, was worn out. I'm talking about the slot behind the meter. Had to take the meter apart and fill in the worn out slot. A guy at Kirulapone did the job for me some years back.

Another reason could be because the cable is laid out in such a way that it goes through some sharp bends before reaching the meter. Laying it out in a much straight path could solve the issue.

It could also be because of the friction isnside the cable housing. Happens when dirt and grime get inside the cable from either end. I have used a small amount of gear oil to lubricate the cable (after cleaning the cable) so that it can turn without much trouble.

The dancing around at idle is normal for the TR,ofcourse the meter itself must have some worn out parts.My guy says he can stop the needle dipping to zero when I step off the throttle...I'll let you know what he does

Had the same issue on one of my old cars ....

What cars do you have?...curious

The dancing around at idle is normal for the TR,ofcourse the meter itself must have some worn out parts.My guy says he can stop the needle dipping to zero when I step off the throttle...I'll let you know what he does

What cars do you have?...curious

Right now, I've got only my Lancer CS3 and nothing else. I was referring to the cars that I've owned over the years MD. By saying "old", I meant "previous", sorry about that. :)

The needle issue was there in both the KE20 and the A72 I had. The slot was repaired on the KE20; the Lancer developed the issue after the mechs had laid out the cable along a different route causing it to bend more than it should.

Right now, I've got only my Lancer CS3 and nothing else. I was referring to the cars that I've owned over the years MD. By saying "old", I meant "previous", sorry about that. :)

The needle issue was there in both the KE20 and the A72 I had. The slot was repaired on the KE20; the Lancer developed the issue after the mechs had laid out the cable along a different route causing it to bend more than it should.

I had the same issue in the Lancer C12 but was sorted out by the guy near Kirullapone bridge,the A72 never had the issue and the needle was always steady like in a new car

Oh God! You too MD? Good grief! Well at least tell us what choices you ended up with...

Haha don't worry,macho man MD will be back soon...

Well I haven't decided yet.I'm still going through stacks of sample material.The seats will most probably be dark red-ish faux leather..

Haha don't worry,macho man MD will be back soon...

Well I haven't decided yet.I'm still going through stacks of sample material.The seats will most probably be dark red-ish faux leather..

Well if the car is white dark red or maroon works very well

Well if the car is white dark red or maroon works very well

True Don,but I have to stick with original colours as much as possible.Upholstery colours initially available included blackberry, geranium, and gray. Brown, stone, and red were added later in the TR2 model series.Since my car is a very late TR2 I have the pick all these colours.That being said going up or down a shade or two on the orginal colours is acceptable.

l5f7mUJ.jpg

I like that Blue for the trim. I think it will look great with the white body and will look quite unique in SL. That combo will also represent your school MD ;)......and mine.

However if that's a bit too crazy my next vote will be Brown.

• Like 2