• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can Someone Plz Tell Me What This Is?

chamath1

Found this on my Dad's Su14 when the vehicle was given to clean up the AC unit. Was mounted just front below the left seat on the front. The mechanic tried to get and take it quietly but I took it fom his hands.

21lohmv.jpg

4kxyyp.jpg

21e6lbl.jpg

Looks like that emergency/car break down fire thing, i dont exactly know the name of it. its like a fire cracker

Edited by Magnum

Yeap, its an emergency flare. Technically you COULD save it for when you have an accident or something, but you're more likely to cause confusion by igniting it then, so really you might as well amuse yourself with it...

The flare gives off a red flame and is really bright, very much like a big sparkle stick. However unlike a sparkle stick, it burns pretty hot, and shoots out sparks as well as a heavy plume of smoke so make sure you have a flat, non-flammable surface like a concrete floor or a gravel / asphalt driveway to toss it onto once you spark the cap. Make sure to always angle the end away from yourself during the whole process...

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Its a flare to be used in emergencies either to provide light, like in instances of changing a tyre in a dark unlit road or to draw the attention of others in case of of help being needed on the road.

Anyway as many have said the expiry date is long gone.

Instead of the flare I have put in a small torch in the recess to be used in emergencies.

chamath1,

Every Japanese vehicle has this emergency flare, under the front dash board.

Which is used if the vehicle brakes down on the road to light same, in the night.

Or Vehicle meets with an accident for in coming vehicles to notice in the night.

These are stolen from the Colombo port used Vehicles and they are sold by the drivers.

Near the the port vehicle exit gate for rupees 50.00 each.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Jaliya48,

Do you want one? I have few of them, expired dates.

Still works.Give you free of charge.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Why do you give your number out like that? :violent-smiley-009:

didnt you have some issues giving out your contact infos sometime back?

Edited by Magnum

Whoa thanks for the responses friends. I think I'm getting to have more love for Japanese vehicles :D and no offence India, but I think your vehicles have the "built in" version of the flare signaling :P

Tata-Nano-catches-fire.jpg

Edited by chamath1

Whoa thanks for the responses friends. I think I'm getting to have more love for Japanese vehicles :D and no offence India, but I think your vehicles have the "built in" version of the flare signaling :P

Tata-Nano-catches-fire.jpg

:speechless-smiley-004: Funny!

And, Mr Sylvi, thanks for the offer! I'm just after one for my wagon as the user manual makes a reference to a flare. It doesn't have to be working, just something that looks good to complete the look. I've copied your phone number so you can edit it out now, if you wish.

Regards.

Edited by Jaliya48

Why do you give your number out like that? :violent-smiley-009:

didnt you have some issues giving out your contact infos sometime back?

Magnum,

Yes. Most members do not want problems, giving their personal contact numbers.

I am very open minded person Do not hurt anyone unless they antagonize me with unwanted posts. Replies mostly negative.

There are few members who post against my posts. I ignore them.

I like to thank you for your post. I have done the editing.

Even Emails can be traced who is the originator.

Today all telephones have call ID can complain to law authorities, Nuisance calls number.

Law authorities take long time to respond. Have to take a Court order.

Can find out the name of the caller if you. Have any high officer known to you in the Telephone Company.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

:speechless-smiley-004: Funny!

And, Mr Sylvi, thanks for the offer! I'm just after one for my wagon as the user manual makes a reference to a flare. It doesn't have to be working, just something that looks good to complete the look. I've copied your phone number so you can edit it out now, if you wish.

Regards.

Hi Jaliya,

This comes with various sizes. Just make sure you take one clip(holder) of your car when you go to Sylvi. Or may be you can measure the inner circle & go. Also doesn't matter they are expired, still lightable. If you remove the cap, there is a small another cap attached to the candle(or whatever the burning thing) that you can use it to lit it. Once you lit it, will last for about 10-15 mins.

Hi Jaliya,

This comes with various sizes. Just make sure you take one clip(holder) of your car when you go to Sylvi. Or may be you can measure the inner circle & go. Also doesn't matter they are expired, still lightable. If you remove the cap, there is a small another cap attached to the candle(or whatever the burning thing) that you can use it to lit it. Once you lit it, will last for about 10-15 mins.

Thanks for that bit of info, Speedy! I don't have a clip for it though, but I should hunt around for it. I just want one to complete the interior as per the owner's manual! :sport-smiley-004:

Underwater flares do exist. They just use and oxidiser instead of depending on atmospheric oxygen. For example barium sulphate. A typical underwater flare would contain

Magnesium 16%

Aluminium 12%

Barium Sulfate 40%

Barium Nitrate 32%

Binder: 8 parts linseed oil, 1 part manganese dioxide

Note that it's got a lot more BaSO4 than a normal flare. Hence it's capacity to burn underwater.

They were developed in ww2 to silhouette submarines. And they are still used by divers.

So if we knew the composition of the flare we would know what it's capable of.

Just thought it'll be more fun to throw it into the fish tank!

• Like 2

Underwater flares do exist. They just use and oxidiser instead of depending on atmospheric oxygen. For example barium sulphate. A typical underwater flare would contain

Magnesium 16%

Aluminium 12%

Barium Sulfate 40%

Barium Nitrate 32%

Binder: 8 parts linseed oil, 1 part manganese dioxide

Note that it's got a lot more BaSO4 than a normal flare. Hence it's capacity to burn underwater.

They were developed in ww2 to silhouette submarines. And they are still used by divers.

So if we knew the composition of the flare we would know what it's capable of.

Just thought it'll be more fun to throw it into the fish tank!

I thought we were refering to the regular emergency flares that come with vehicles? Regular emergency flares extinguish under water. They'll probably burn in the rain, but won't burn under water / in the absence of O2.

The mighty Google Gods do say that there are underwater flares / calcium flares but I've never seen them...I will however take your word for it, as I don't scuba dive...

Winder if it works underwater. Ideally, it should

Depends on the individual's capability of taking fire under water!!!!