• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

>>Toyota isnt one of those companies who >>normally do that

On the contrary. This is Toyotas past.If u lookat the Carinas, Corollas,Coronas of the 80s Toyota used to take their standard 1300/1600/etc engines and turbo/super charge them pushing out a lot more power over the standard variants of the small engines. Even the 4age BT was pretty high powered for a 1600cc jap engine.

Toyota's race dpec engines for the Carina and starlet were again based on standard small engines svailable for those models and these race spec models put out even more power. It was only in the 90s that they lost (started loosing) their marbles. Heck they even stuck a 3sgte in a E100 Corolla for GT or someother racing.

Some Trivia : The (GT?) racing regulations stated that the car model had to be a production model with a minimum of 99 units. So Toyota launched the special 3s-gte with a limited 99 units produced. They apparently sold 12 :) I guess that would make it the rarest Corolla

>>Toyota isnt one of those companies who >>normally do that

On the contrary. This is Toyotas past.If u lookat the Carinas, Corollas,Coronas of the 80s Toyota used to take their standard 1300/1600/etc engines and turbo/super charge them pushing out a lot more power over the standard variants of the small engines. Even the 4age BT was pretty high powered for a 1600cc jap engine.

Toyota's race dpec engines for the Carina and starlet were again based on standard small engines svailable for those models and these race spec models put out even more power. It was only in the 90s that they lost (started loosing) their marbles. Heck they even stuck a 3sgte in a E100 Corolla for GT or someother racing.

Some Trivia : The (GT?) racing regulations stated that the car model had to be a production model with a minimum of 99 units. So Toyota launched the special 3s-gte with a limited 99 units produced. They apparently sold 12 :) I guess that would make it the rarest Corolla

I was actually referring to the diesel ones, normally Toyota diesel engines have lower power output compared to the Euro/Korean engines of the same size.

and...when everyone else seems to be cutting out gasoline variants in lieu of Hybrid variants of the same model, Honda goes in reverse and launches a gasoline version of the Grace in Japan. Carrying a 1500cc L15B engine it apparently is rated at 21.x kmpl on a JC08 cycle. It seems to be only in LX trim in either FF or 4WD form.

http://www.honda.co.jp/GRACE/webcatalog/type/detail/

and...when everyone else seems to be cutting out gasoline variants in lieu of Hybrid variants of the same model, Honda goes in reverse and launches a gasoline version of the Grace in Japan. Carrying a 1500cc L15B engine it apparently is rated at 21.x kmpl on a JC08 cycle. It seems to be only in LX trim in either FF or 4WD form.

http://www.honda.co.jp/GRACE/webcatalog/type/detail/

That's really nice to see the option of 4WD.

But help me understand, is 4WD means its full time mechanically all 4 wheels have power and AWD is power is at 2 wheels normally and other 2 wheels get power electronically on demand like in a slipping condition or by manually enabling central diff lock?

But in symmetrical AWD system all 4 tires have power at all times right?

Sorry if i have gone off the topic but trying to understand this topic for some time.. Tried different animation videos on Youtube but haven't got a clear understanding between these 2.

Well, I guess it was only evitable for the standard Imprezza (sport - which is the hatch) to go Hybrid. The XV although nice to drive lost some of the Subaruishness, hope the same hasn't happened to this as well.

http://carview.yahoo.co.jp/article/photo/20150611-20102475-carview/?t=0

I saw pics of this on FB and I thought its the XV :D

I dont see a major difference between this and the XV -_-

Is this like a lower ground clearance version of the XV?

That's really nice to see the option of 4WD.

But help me understand, is 4WD means its full time mechanically all 4 wheels have power and AWD is power is at 2 wheels normally and other 2 wheels get power electronically on demand like in a slipping condition or by manually enabling central diff lock?

But in symmetrical AWD system all 4 tires have power at all times right?

Sorry if i have gone off the topic but trying to understand this topic for some time.. Tried different animation videos on Youtube but haven't got a clear understanding between these 2.

What you mentioned earlier as all wheels coming to play during slipping conditions is auto AWD where the vehicle sends some power to the other two wheels when the two primary wheels lose grip, I think the vehicle reads the grip level of the primary wheels by using the ABS sensor. My Hiace has this set up, when in 2WD mode it runs using the rear wheels. Its almost impossible to notice the AWD turning on, it turns on the moment the rear wheels start losing a bit of grip, it doesn't wait till the rear wheels to lose grip completely making the vehicle unable to move

Yes in Symmetrical AWD all wheels get power the whole time, the advantage this has over auto AWD is that this doesn't get that brief period of traction loss when changing from 2WD to AWD. On the down side full time AWD will affect the fuel consumption.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
So its a new color and new engine, Toyota introduced a new diesel engine to the KDJ120 as well halfway during its production years, from 1KZ to 1KD. I wonder why they are down sizing the engine from 3000cc to 2800cc, to reduce the weight maybe.

2.8L diesel prado has same power as 2.7L petrol but it has same torque as 4.0L petrol prado. when it comes to 4x4s only torque matters not the number of horse power. Toyota has discontinued the 4.0L petrol and they have substituted with 2.8L diesel which has same performance. New 2.8L diesel was out about 2 weeks ago

Toyota has discontinued the 4.0L petrol and they have substituted with 2.8L diesel which has same performance. New 2.8L diesel was out about 2 weeks ago

Not sure about that. Because in certain markets models like 2015 Tacoma, 4Runner, etc.. still come with a 4L V6 VVTi engine right?

I think what he meant was that the 4.0L engine isnt offered for the Prado anymore.
Anyway the discussion about the 2.8L wasn't regarding its power rather about squeezing more power/torque out off a smaller engine compared to the present one Most Prado owners would be worried about its reliability than its off-road capability

I saw pics of this on FB and I thought its the XV :D

I dont see a major difference between this and the XV -_-

Is this like a lower ground clearance version of the XV?

The 'sports' came out before the XV with the GH series ? or so as the 5 door hatchback. Then Subaru came out with the GH series XV later on. Yes...the XV started off as kind of an urbany higher ground clearance version of the hatchback.

In the meantime, initial sketches of the next gen RX7 is coming out from Europe apparently. There are rumours of it being powered by a 1600cc rotary engine which apparently might also be given to Toyota for the next generation GT86. Launch date is being targetted for the 2017 Tokyo Motorshow. (by the way the 2015 Tokyo Motorshow will kick off the last week of October this year)

20150709-10226647-carview-000-1-view.jpg

Honda apparently is introducing a diesel variant of the Fit/Jazz for the Indian market. Wonder if we will ever get it in SL. It is supposed to be powered by a 1.5L Turbo charged engine with an output of around 100HP.

20150709-10226651-carview-000-1-view.jpg

Honda apparently is introducing a diesel variant of the Fit/Jazz for the Indian market. Wonder if we will ever get it in SL. It is supposed to be powered by a 1.5L Turbo charged engine with an output of around 100HP.

guess they will use the same engine as the honda mobilio

Toyota Sienta

255300_1.jpg

255300_2.jpg

255300_6.jpg

255300_7.jpg

The hybrid returns 27.2 km/L (3.6 l/100 km or 63.9 mpg US) under the Japan’s JC08 test cycle, making it eligible for eco-car subsidies and tax incentives. The non-hybrid Sienta returns 20.6 km/L (4.8 l/100 km or 48.4 mpg US) in 2WD configuration. A “Stop & Start System” is offered as standard.

The Toyota Sienta is available with the brand’s Safety Sense C collision avoidance assist package that uses both a laser radar unit and a single-lens camera. Prices start from 1,689,709 yen ($13,925)

Why bother when jap hybrid will be cheaper

What you mentioned earlier as all wheels coming to play during slipping conditions is auto AWD where the vehicle sends some power to the other two wheels when the two primary wheels lose grip, I think the vehicle reads the grip level of the primary wheels by using the ABS sensor. My Hiace has this set up, when in 2WD mode it runs using the rear wheels. Its almost impossible to notice the AWD turning on, it turns on the moment the rear wheels start losing a bit of grip, it doesn't wait till the rear wheels to lose grip completely making the vehicle unable to move

Yes in Symmetrical AWD all wheels get power the whole time, the advantage this has over auto AWD is that this doesn't get that brief period of traction loss when changing from 2WD to AWD. On the down side full time AWD will affect the fuel consumption.

Small question on this AWD talk.. Is it bad while you are driving on 'D' put it to Neutral 'N' then Rev higher and put it back to 'D'?

Small question on this AWD talk.. Is it bad while you are driving on 'D' put it to Neutral 'N' then Rev higher and put it back to 'D'?

Im not sure about that but why would you do that?

Im not sure about that but why would you do that?

When you want to have a little fun with your friends and want to get the maximum acceleration doing that seems to give the max output (I may be wrong). Shifting to manual mode and shifting down seems to take more time than shifting to 'N' + floor the accelerator and put it back to 'D'.

Also using sports button and normal mode does not seems to have any effect if your accelerator is fully pressed. But i do see a change of acceleration when you accelerate normally and enable 'sports' button. I think what it does is just change the position of the accelerator. What i mean is if I press accelerator 1 inch in normal mode it gives 20% of engine power vs in sports mode it gives 40% engine power? Am i correct?

I know these questions might be so dumb, but just wanted to learn something out of it.. :) :)

Thanks in advance..

--------------------------------

<updated>

Regular acceleration really sucks..!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF2GRyeTPcg

Edited by kmeeg