• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

When you want to have a little fun with your friends and want to get the maximum acceleration doing that seems to give the max output (I may be wrong). Shifting to manual mode and shifting down seems to take more time than shifting to 'N' + floor the accelerator and put it back to 'D'.

Also using sports button and normal mode does not seems to have any effect if your accelerator is fully pressed. But i do see a change of acceleration when you accelerate normally and enable 'sports' button. I think what it does is just change the position of the accelerator. What i mean is if I press accelerator 1 inch in normal mode it gives 20% of engine power vs in sports mode it gives 40% engine power? Am i correct?

I know these questions might be so dumb, but just wanted to learn something out of it.. :) :)

Thanks in advance..

--------------------------------

<updated>

Regular acceleration really sucks..!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF2GRyeTPcg

When you shift to N and rev it doesnt do anything to make the vehicle move faster, it basically just revs the engine freely. Im not sure about this but I think revving your engine in N and shifting to D all of a sudden would put a strain on your gearbox

and is that how you usually drive? You rev close to the redline? and is that an Axio?

More pics of the new Fortuner

"As with the Hilux Revo, the lineup includes two new GD turbodiesels – a 2.8 litre 1GD-FTV that develops 177 hp at 3,400 rpm and 450 Nm from 1,600-2,400 rpm, as well as a 2.4 litre 2GD-FTV that pushes out 150 hp at 3,400 rpm and 400 Nm from 1,600-2,000 rpm. Taking over from the current 2.5 and 3.0 litre options, they feature common-rail direct-injection and variable nozzle turbocharging; the 2.8 litre also gets auto start-stop.

In Thailand, only the base 2.4G gets a six-speed “intelligent” manual transmission with rev-matching; the 2.4V, 2.7G and 2.8G receive the new six-speed automatic with paddle shifters as standard, with only the 2.8 litre oil burner getting the option of four-wheel drive. We expect both the automatic gearbox and 4WD to be standard on our cars."

fortuner-brochure-0020-850x495.jpg

fortuner-brochure-0019-850x490.jpg

fortuner-brochure-0013-850x305.jpg

fortuner-brochure-0012-850x305.jpg

fortuner-live-0002.jpg

fortuner-live-0009.jpg

fortuner-live-0016-850x638.jpg

fortuner-brochure-0004-850x305.jpg

fortuner-brochure-0001.jpg

Edited by Magnum

When you shift to N and rev it doesnt do anything to make the vehicle move faster, it basically just revs the engine freely. Im not sure about this but I think revving your engine in N and shifting to D all of a sudden would put a strain on your gearbox

and is that how you usually drive? You rev close to the redline? and is that an Axio?

This is a Toyota Venza machan.. Thanks for the advice, i will not shift to N and put to D then. So may be putting to 'S' manual mode and shifting would be be best option to get more acceleration i guess. Anyways this doesn't have good acceleration as a car.. :(

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152893338376645&l=3207f1ec14

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All new Montero Sport officially unveiled

The front looks alright, but oh god rear looks horrible

"Power comes from a 2.4-liter MIVEC turbodiesel engine teamed up with a newly developed 8-speed automatic gearbox that was created specifically for the new Pajero Sport. The output of the engine has not been disclosed but we do know in the pickup truck it has 154 PS (113 kW) & 380 Nm (280 lb-ft) and 181 PS (133 kW) & 430 Nm (317 lb-ft)."

1687451131652073640.jpg

229583231469071614.jpg

10086660481967092795.jpg

200424241963304528.jpg

If they had not brought down the light vertically all the way down it probably would have looked fine

Plus are those sensors on the bumper? they look very cheap

488581749912794820.jpg

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 1

If they had not brought down the light vertically all the way down it probably would have looked fine

Yes they do seem to be reverse sensors....

also...am I the only one who feels that the rear window seems too small ? Unlike in some cars the blackened out part of the window seems to be covered by the plastic cladding.

Edited by iRage

Yes they do seem to be reverse sensors....

also...am I the only one who feels that the rear window seems too small ? Unlike in some cars the blackened out part of the window seems to be covered by the plastic cladding.

I see a reverse camera, I don't know whats the need for reversing sensors when you have reverse camera.

There is plastic cladding on the inside, but I don't know why it has to be so thick. The seatbelt doesn't need that much covering....

200424241963304528.jpg

I see a reverse camera, I don't know whats the need for reversing sensors when you have reverse camera.

The sensors work independently from the camera to indicate distance from obstructions. Which is useful if the camera's view is blocked due to rain / mud /snow / frost build up the sensors still work to indicate (via beeps and LED bulbs) how close you areto hitting something.

When you want to have a little fun with your friends and want to get the maximum acceleration doing that seems to give the max output (I may be wrong). Shifting to manual mode and shifting down seems to take more time than shifting to 'N' + floor the accelerator and put it back to 'D'.

Sounds like a quick way towards a transmission rebuild. Anyone caught doing that in my car would be losing their driving privileges faster than I can say: "It may seem to go faster when you shift it to N, floor it and then shift back to D, but its not going to give you any significant gains in acceleration".

Edited by Kavvz

The sensors work independently from the camera to indicate distance from obstructions. Which is useful if the camera's view is blocked due to rain / mud /snow / frost build up the sensors still work to indicate (via beeps and LED bulbs) how close you areto hitting something.

I personally find sensors very annoying, they just go beep beep beep even for the tiniest thing and even worst the sensors look ugly on the bumper(atleast in this one its body colored). On a normally day to day use the camera never gets block if its tucked under the tail gate chrome handle, atleast it never got blocked/covered in my Hiace.

To be honest this is the only new vehicle I have seen with sensors cuz manufactures have gone for the camera

• Like 1

I personally find sensors very annoying, they just go beep beep beep even for the tiniest thing and even worst the sensors look ugly on the bumper(atleast in this one its body colored). On a normally day to day use the camera never gets block if its tucked under the tail gate chrome handle, atleast it never got blocked/covered in my Hiace.

To be honest this is the only new vehicle I have seen with sensors cuz manufactures have gone for the camera

My experience is the opposite. I guess it depends on the vehicle, and where you live (and the weather conditions there). I've found OEM rear and front parking sensors to be more accurate than the rearview cameras, as having them progressively tell you how close you are to an obstruction in the front or rear, helps immensely vs the more passive rear view camera.

To each his own I guess; but that's why its there: To provide another layer of input in addition to the rear view camera when conditions necessitate it (especially when the rear view out the back window is really limited like in the above pictured Montero Sport).

Edited by Kavvz

Sounds like a quick way towards a transmission rebuild. Anyone caught doing that in my car would be losing their driving privileges faster than I can say: "It may seem to go faster when you shift it to N, floor it and then shift back to D, but its not going to give you any significant gains in acceleration".

Heehh.. Heee.. Don't worry to give yours to drive. I drive others cars with much care..

But for my slower cars I had to find some way to catch up with my friends cars since they are much faster when we have a little fun on open roads.. :D :D

Heehh.. Heee.. Don't worry to give yours to drive. I drive others cars with much care..

But for my slower cars I had to find some way to catch up with my friends cars since they are much faster when we have a little fun on open roads.. :D :D

Dunno man, I tend to drive my car with more care than I do other cars (I rent a lot) and I find it hard to believe that anyone else out there is any different, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt! :D

Anyway to your point: I don't think revving the engine in N and shifting to D does anything other than stress out the transmission. I remember I rented a 2014 Ford Festia earlier this year on which I tried doing that to no avail. All it did was rev up a bit and shift into D with a sudden jerk, but then the revs dropped. I didn't notice any gains in acceleration but rather thought it slowed down a bit as the electronics took a second or two to sense that I shifted into D.

True the Festia is an entry level car with a cheap transmission, the Venza probably has a better transmission in it, but I think the end result would be the same. Why don't you time yourself driving along a set distance on a straight bit of road with the transmission in D all the way, and then do the same run in the other direction while flipping into N and then back into D to get the revs up as you mentioned? I bet you won't see a significant change when you compare the two runs. For this test a run between two highway exits would be ideal, but whatever you and your friends figure out to be a fair test is fine too...What say you?

Edited by Kavvz

Dunno man, I tend to drive my car with more care than I do other cars (I rent a lot) and I find it hard to believe that anyone else out there is any different, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt! :D

Anyway to your point: I don't think revving the engine in N and shifting to D does anything other than stress out the transmission. I remember I rented a 2014 Ford Festia earlier this year on which I tried doing that to no avail. All it did was rev up a bit and shift into D with a sudden jerk, but then the revs dropped. I didn't notice any gains in acceleration but rather thought it slowed down a bit as the electronics took a second or two to sense that I shifted into D.

True the Festia is an entry level car with a cheap transmission, the Venza probably has a better transmission in it, but I think the end result would be the same. Why don't you time yourself driving along a set distance on a straight bit of road with the transmission in D all the way, and then do the same run in the other direction while flipping into N and then back into D to get the revs up as you mentioned? I bet you won't see a significant change when you compare the two runs. For this test a run between two highway exits would be ideal, but whatever you and your friends figure out to be a fair test is fine too...What say you?

When you shift to N doesn't the gearbox stops sending power to the wheels? so in that case its pretty much like revving while you're idling

Nissan Elgrand Nismo

I quite like it....

008_o.jpg

006_o.jpg

005_o.jpg

003_o.jpg

"The Elgrand NISMO Performance Package changed its aero parts, aluminum wheel, muffler, and suspensions, and this package option is also combined with an ECU tuning called Sports Resetting.

If you want to get all these parts, you can avail of them through the A kit, which costs 775,000 yen. (Installation fees for 18 inch wheels excluded; Sports Resetting included) The price of the parts, excluding the abovementioned Sports Resetting, is 645,000 yen. (Excluding installation fee for equipping 18 inch wheels)"

Edited by Magnum

That test seems to be a fair test to me too.. But after seen the comments from many to be honest i'm bit scared that i would break the gear box. I don't think the 'limited warranty' would cover that kind of damage..

May be the best option is to wait for some time and have some budget for another car and buy at least something like a used WRX.

For now i think i will try to switch to sports (that 'S' mode with + & -) and may be turn off Trac & VSC might help to gain more acceleration.

488581749912794820.jpg

Chikeyyaaaa

• Like 1

That test seems to be a fair test to me too.. But after seen the comments from many to be honest i'm bit scared that i would break the gear box. I don't think the 'limited warranty' would cover that kind of damage..

May be the best option is to wait for some time and have some budget for another car and buy at least something like a used WRX.

For now i think i will try to switch to sports (that 'S' mode with + & -) and may be turn off Trac & VSC might help to gain more acceleration.

On the official record let it be noted that: 'kmeeg' wussed out! :P

(I kid: Saving your transmission is a smart choice, good call.)