• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese Car News

Magnum

2 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Love the steering wheel

LOL...that is what is called a barely legal, if at all, steering wheel :)

In almost all parts of the world a steering wheel needs to resemble..well...uhh...the idea of a wheel....you know..the continous sruface with no angles sort of thing....is some of form for it to be considered road worthy. Cars like the Tesla Model 3 has had issues with the roadster steering wheel in many markets...

1 hour ago, iRage said:

LOL...that is what is called a barely legal, if at all, steering wheel :)

In almost all parts of the world a steering wheel needs to resemble..well...uhh...the idea of a wheel....you know..the continous sruface with no angles sort of thing....is some of form for it to be considered road worthy. Cars like the Tesla Model 3 has had issues with the roadster steering wheel in many markets...

Reminds me of this,

Well there has been square steering wheels in the past, the current Nissan, MB and Audi (I think) flat bottom steering wheels are not round are they?

25 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

Reminds me of this,

Well there has been square steering wheels in the past, the current Nissan, MB and Audi (I think) flat bottom steering wheels are not round are they?

Of course there have been side clasping style steering wheels, mostly for racing cars. When there have been in road going standard cars there have been issues and have not been marketted in some areas if you think about it.

Flat bottom is fine..the idea is that there needs to be a concentric body for grasping apparently (thus represent a wheel in some for or the other)....so those fancy wheels that look like they are from a plane do not apparently work. Even the BZ4x wheel since there isnt a proper grasping area on top (i.e. all around)

Airtrek name plate revived ?

Mitsubish had teased an Airtrek (EV) concept at the SMS. It seems to be for the Chinese market (which had the Outlander already)...would be interesting to see if the Airtrek name would reach any other markets as a variant of the Outlander (it could be that the pure electrci version of the Outlander would be called AirTrek ?). (The Outlander was called AIrtrek in Japan which finally changed to Outlander)mitsubishi-airtrek-teaser-image-front.jpg三菱 エアトレック

Honda SUV e:Prototype

Honda is to launch 10 EV vehicles in China within the next 5 years and they all will be based on the SUV e:Prototype concept. I suppose this will also start trickling in to other markets that are pushing for mass electrification and ban on ICE vehicles in 10 years time...

Honda SUV e: PrototypeHonda SUV e: PrototypeHonda SUV e: Prototype

One of many PHEVs was also revelaed...the Honda Breeze (I feel it sort of looks like an overgrown Civic wagon..or in other words...design queues of the next gen CR-V maybe ?)

Honda SUV e: Prototype

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Honda SUV e:Prototype

Honda is to launch 10 EV vehicles in China within the next 5 years and they all will be based on the SUV e:Prototype concept. I suppose this will also start trickling in to other markets that are pushing for mass electrification and ban on ICE vehicles in 10 years time...

Honda SUV e: PrototypeHonda SUV e: PrototypeHonda SUV e: Prototype

One of many PHEVs was also revelaed...the Honda Breeze (I feel it sort of looks like an overgrown Civic wagon..or in other words...design queues of the next gen CR-V maybe ?)

Honda SUV e: Prototype

I like the first 2 pics. 

Even Honda Hybrids I like they use traditional awd system vs Toyota use gas power front and electric motors for rear. 

For EVs I guess they will use 2 motors for AWD.

49 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

Even Honda Hybrids I like they use traditional awd system vs Toyota use gas power front and electric motors for rear. 

Manufacturers use the front engine rear motor layout for AWD systems because it is more efficient and less complicated. If you maintain the mechanical/traditional rear layout, then the electric motor drive has to engage at a transmission/drive train level (as opposed to just the engine cutting off and the motor taking over) to offer power assist to the drive wheels. This is exactly what Honda does...Honda's Hybrid systems are two motor systems (AWD and FF vehicles)...one motor is the engine assisting motor and the other is a motor that moves the differentials (i.e. the drive train). So it is not a matter of a single motor assisting the engine and then the rear comes in and out as a traditional AWD vehicle.

This is the reason why the Land Cruiser has not had an AWD variant yet.

EDIT: Some test drive reviews of Honda Hybrids that touch base on the Hybrid system layout and AWD system...

CR-V : https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a31679395/2020-honda-cr-v-hybrid-drive/

Related Accord article : https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15099911/2017-honda-accord-hybrid-test-review/

CR-V e-HEV press release https://hondanews.eu/eu/lt/cars/media/pressreleases/328990/2021-honda-cr-v-ehev?utm_campaign=Syndicated_328990&utm_medium=RSS_All Press Releases&utm_source=hondanews.eu

General Honda dealership article : https://www.hondaofwatertown.com/features-and-technology/honda-awd/

Edited by iRage
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, iRage said:

Airtrek name plate revived ?

Mitsubish had teased an Airtrek (EV) concept at the SMS. It seems to be for the Chinese market (which had the Outlander already)...would be interesting to see if the Airtrek name would reach any other markets as a variant of the Outlander (it could be that the pure electrci version of the Outlander would be called AirTrek ?). (The Outlander was called AIrtrek in Japan which finally changed to Outlander)mitsubishi-airtrek-teaser-image-front.jpg三菱 エアトレック

Says EV at the back, so could it be based on the Nissan Ariya?

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

Says EV at the back, so could it be based on the Nissan Ariya?

Could be....or they figured out a pure EV power rain for an Outlander itself...highly unlikely though...so probably it is what you said. But then...not sure how happy Nissan would be if Mitsubishi launched something based off of their pride and joy before they did.

42 minutes ago, iRage said:

Could be....or they figured out a pure EV power rain for an Outlander itself...highly unlikely though...so probably it is what you said. But then...not sure how happy Nissan would be if Mitsubishi launched something based off of their pride and joy before they did.

They did with the X Trail / Outlander. They should have been the first with the new engine.

On a different note I saw that Europe will get the ePower Qashqai / X Trail. If imports are allowed next year I think that could be a very good model for Nissan in Sri Lanka after a long time.

It was a shame that they didn't get the 1.0T sunny equivalent Almera to our market when it was offered in Thailand. Would have been a good seller here. 

15 hours ago, Gummybr said:

They did with the X Trail / Outlander

Well..theoretically...the X-Trail was shown and released earlier (as the Rogue).

15 hours ago, Gummybr said:

they didn't get the 1.0T sunny equivalent Almera

Yeah...but you know how Sri Lankans are...they run behind and praise a car because its cheap (which it would have been due to the lower tax bracket) ..and then when it does not have a mainenance schedule equal to that of a sewing machine and gets 0.0034% lesser than their life goal of 21.3672kmpl..they go and demonize it. See what they have done to the Civic !!! Poor car...

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

First the Crown Kluger...now they have the Crown Vellfire 🙂

So..Toyota's gone back to its roots of Crown being a family/series of vehicles...
With the unification of all dealership channels in Japan, the Vellfire and Alphard apparently will be merged in to a single model. So no idea if the Crown Vellfire will be sold in Japan 🙂

I suppose its no surprise that Toyota is making all the big waves...
May be an image of car

It was unofficially announced last year and today it is official...Tokyo Motorshow 2021 is cancelled.
There was some indication of an online show but the organizers have confirmed that niether this will be happening because the TMS is something to be experienced in person 🙁
Damn you COVID-19...

May be an image of ‎outdoors and ‎text that says '‎FUTURE 2019 TOKYO OPEN MOTOR SHOW OPENFUTURE OPEN TOKYO MOTOR FUTURE SHOW 2019 - • OPEN FUTURE TOKYO MOTOR SHOW 2019 FUTURE ר0×‎'‎‎

GR Corolla....
It will be a fun, fast car..but will it be special as the GR Yaris ? Considering the GR Yaris was purpose built from ground up and everything is just tied in together just to fullfill that purpose...No...

But 290+hp out of the GR Yaris engine and AWD system and transmission in a funked up Corolla body would be fun...(funking up would apparently not involve a large number of lightweight panels or a CF roof. The expected pricing is also a lot lower (so the extra stuff is most likely a no) between 3-4mil yen (GR Yaris ranges from 3.3 - 4.6 mil yen).

Western media (well..US)...has gone bonkers over a carsensor article about what the GR Corolla could be (based on speculation/insider info).  Images are just renderings. The US media also say that it will be made at the Motomachi GR plant..but there is no confirmation on that...since there is not much bespoke parts some beleive that it will not be coming out of the same factory as the standard Corollas.

Remember..all this is just speculation for now...nothing official has been revealed except teases about a hot-hatch for the American market and then rolled out to others (probably in time when the GR Yaris has stopped sales..in Japan it is expected to get sold around 2023...right on time when most GR Yaris owners might be loking to change cars as their financing will end and the car needs shaken, etc...)

https://www.carsensor.net/contents/editor/category_849/_65738.html

corollagr5.jpgcorollagr1.jpg?Action=thumbnail&algorithm=fill_proportional&width=620corollagr4.jpg?Action=thumbnail&algorithm=fill_proportional&width=620corollagr3.jpg?Action=thumbnail&algorithm=fill_proportional&width=620

Edited by iRage

Land Cruiser 300

Starts getting shipped out ?

Now these are probably (most definitely) pre-launch sales/demo/test models and it will be a few more months following its upcoming official launch till we get to see customer deliveries...

They aren't exactly trying hard to hide it before its official launch are they ?
I must say..Bestcar does get their renders pretty damn on-point (last pic was a rendering Bestcar did nearly one year ago..)

May be an image of carMay be an image of car and outdoorsMay be an image of car and outdoors

image.png.39a3d05b24ba94c562f5b02d9cb1fb37.pngimage.png.2dfa08017ccbbd7bf9e1b9980c69ab5c.pngMay be an image of car and road

Edited by iRage

Honda to go full EV+FCV by 2040...

Honda CEO during Innaugaraul Press Conference indicated that Honda will be selling only EV and FCV vehicles in all developed markets by 2040. Honda will also be pushing FCV for their outboard motors, trucks, etc...and the Mobile Power Packs in bikes, etc...so it is going to be all renewable energy sourced and based.... Their prime mission right now seems to be to go carbon neural by 2050.

https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2021/c210423eng.html

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Land Cruiser 300

Starts getting shipped out ?

May be an image of car and road

Wow pretty nice looking front there! A pity about the drab looking sides though...Overall a nice looking update.

Looking forward to seeing how the Aussie guys lift it up a bit and maybe get some bigger wheels on there !! 

5 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Wow pretty nice looking front there! A pity about the drab looking sides though...Overall a nice looking update.

Looking forward to seeing how the Aussie guys lift it up a bit and maybe get some bigger wheels on there !! 

sadly the split tail-gate is gone :( 

14 hours ago, iRage said:

sadly the split tail-gate is gone :( 

Nooooo!!! But why? Best feature ever....

Edit: I did some digging on forums and there was some thought that since these are early production mule models on the actual L300 that is being sold, a rear split tail gate maybe available.

(This is completely unverified and is more likely bit of speculation / wistful thinking but I can't help hoping for the same as the split tailgate is an awesome feature. It does probably makes the tailgate a bit more expensive to produce,  but I see the new X9 comes with one (the GLS doesn't), so I'm confused as to why the L300 would not...Although the competition for the L300 isn't really the X9 but the Nissan Patrol / Armada and that doesn't have a split tailgate either. What a shame...)

Edited by Kavvz

11 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Nooooo!!! But why? Best feature ever....

Edit: I did some digging on forums and there was some thought that since these are early production mule models on the actual L300 that is being sold, a rear split tail gate maybe available.

(This is completely unverified and is more likely bit of speculation / wistful thinking but I can't help hoping for the same as the split tailgate is an awesome feature. It does probably makes the tailgate a bit more expensive to produce,  but I see the new X9 comes with one (the GLS doesn't), so I'm confused as to why the L300 would not...Although the competition for the L300 isn't really the X9 but the Nissan Patrol / Armada and that doesn't have a split tailgate either. What a shame...)

Well..none of that is certain..what is certain is right now there is no split tail gate...

But these (the pics that appeared a few days ago) are not exactly mule models. These are pre-launch, final prototype, dealer demo and launch/press event models. A mule model is more or less still a test model that requires final evaluation (so a final final prototype of sorts). The mule models were seen over the last year so sporting everything from LC200 LC200 bodies to camo wraps.

The whole no-tailgate scenario has been mentioned by Japanese media based on their inside source leaks for the last year and then from the middle east there was a leak of the EPC which did not show a split tail-gate parts. Now...can there be a split tail-gate in other markets ? Yes..but considering the Middle eastern market is one of the largest markets and also crazy about the split-tail gate..it is strange that they do not have that on their EPC.

Can it be introduced later....probably...perhaps as part of the facelift....

Can there be another variant that has a split-tail gate ? Yes...all previous LCs had the wagon with the split-tail-gate and the van/troop variant with the barn doors....but..well...what is shown right now seems more like the wagon variant, which traditionally has had split-tail-gates..so can there be another variant that has a split-tailgate ? Quite unlikely as the other remaining option would be the barn-yard doors.

So...at this point in time...there is no confirmation of a split-tailgate and the likelihood is quite low.

However, knowing what the Aussies and the South Africans do with their LCs...it would not be a surprise if there are plenty of aftermarket (licensed by regional Toyotas) for tail-gate upgrade options.

6 hours ago, iRage said:

The whole no-tailgate scenario has been mentioned by Japanese media based on their inside source leaks for the last year and then from the middle east there was a leak of the EPC which did not show a split tail-gate parts. Now...can there be a split tail-gate in other markets ? Yes..but considering the Middle eastern market is one of the largest markets and also crazy about the split-tail gate..it is strange that they do not have that on their EPC.

So...at this point in time...there is no confirmation of a split-tailgate and the likelihood is quite low.

Bother! I feared as much...And yes if the Saudi's don't get it, nobody will. That is basically THE world's no.1 market for Patrol's and LC's !!! 

6 hours ago, iRage said:

However, knowing what the Aussies and the South Africans do with their LCs...it would not be a surprise if there are plenty of aftermarket (licensed by regional Toyotas) for tail-gate upgrade options.

Hurrah for the Aussie's !!  Let's see what they come up with then. Australia >>>Good at managing COVID and good at modding 4x4's !! :D 

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Hurrah for the Aussie's !!  Let's see what they come up with then. Australia >>>Good at managing COVID and good at modding 4x4's !!

LOL..they've got their priorities right....(I mean...modding LCs comes before managing C19 right ?)

More pics of the Land Cruiser 300.
As you can see there are a lot of them and these are not mules as some people seem to suggest. A manufacturer is not going ot make so many mules (i.e. a car/design that still needs evaluation).
These are probably launch event, press, demo vehicles and there might be a few that are actually launch time sales as well (also..it wouldn't be a surprise if some large humanitarian organizations already have a large pre-order or so as they have done in the past...as they have gotten new Prados and LC70s as soon as they got launched..like instantaneously) 
**Borrowed images...

May be an image of car, road, sky and text that says 'landcruiserupdates Follow … landcruiserupdates 2022 Toyota Land Cruiser 300 コ'May be an image of jeep, car, road and text that says 'landcruiserupdates Follow A T'May be an image of car, outdoors and text that says 'landcruiserupdates Follow S DN 1'May be an image of car, jeep, road and text that says 'p landcruiserupdates 2022 Toyota Land Cruiser 300 1ক'May be an image of car, road and text that says 'landcruiserupdates 2022 Toyota Land Cruiser 300 A'May be an image of car, road and text that says 'landcruiserupdates Follow 2 AH SE'May be an image of car and roadMay be an image of car, outdoors and text that says 'landcruiserupdates 2022 Toyota Land Cruiser 300'

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:40 PM, iRage said:

GR Corolla....
It will be a fun, fast car..but will it be special as the GR Yaris ? Considering the GR Yaris was purpose built from ground up and everything is just tied in together just to fullfill that purpose...No...

But 290+hp out of the GR Yaris engine and AWD system and transmission in a funked up Corolla body would be fun...(funking up would apparently not involve a large number of lightweight panels or a CF roof. The expected pricing is also a lot lower (so the extra stuff is most likely a no) between 3-4mil yen (GR Yaris ranges from 3.3 - 4.6 mil yen).

Western media (well..US)...has gone bonkers over a carsensor article about what the GR Corolla could be (based on speculation/insider info).  Images are just renderings. The US media also say that it will be made at the Motomachi GR plant..but there is no confirmation on that...since there really is not much bespoke parts going on many beleive that it will be coming out of the same factory as the standard Corollas.

Remember..all this is just speculation for now...nothing official has been revealed except teases about a hot-hatch for the American market and then rolled out to others (probably in time when the GR Yaris has stopped sales..in Japan it is expected to get sold around 2023...right on time when most GR Yaris owners might be loking to change cars as their financing will end and the car needs shaken, etc...)

https://www.carsensor.net/contents/editor/category_849/_65738.html

I think GR Corolla will be a good overall GT car (not for the track) likely a Golf GTi, Ford RS alternate.

I have been using the 1.2T and always miss that extra power and a good gear box as this time around they got ride and handling spot on.

All it needs is a bit more sharper steering and may be adaptive dampers (not specified in my car although was available as an option)

Hope they will retain the 4WD with 50:50 distribution and the track mode.