• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How Many Cars Are Too Many

sampathd

Hey all petrol heads,

Please don't take this in the wrong vein.

But how many cars are too many. I find myself going through for sale ads and spending quite a bit of time. And when I see some specimens I really get exited. But getting my wife to agree to buying another car is a hard task. Her simple question is why do I need another car?

So those who have car collections how do you justify adding another to the stable? At what poi t do you say this is enough?

When you can't afford it. Simple.

On a more serious note, dude the variables are too many to give you a simple answer. Here are a few:

1. Money

2. Responsibilities

3. Wife

4. Kids

5. Priorities

6. Space in your garage/house

And each car is a portfolio in itself, no. Insurances, liscences, maintenance etc...

To put things in perspective I can barely afford my two cars now.

But I'd like to have a two storey underground garage with hydraulic lifts and chicks in spandex serving me egb while I get greased up with an engine

• Like 4

I always thought 3 cars were max for me. Now I find myself owning 5! I guess it depends on how crazy and unwise you are. I think I am very crazy and totally unwise :D Some of the financial decisions I took in order to secure these cars, I probably will not do again. A wife/fiance who understands such passions definitely helps.

On the flipside the old cars I bought and restored have inperceptibly turned into valuable assets in terms of monetary value, while giving me years and miles of pleasure which was the idea in the first place :) .

Right now since I own 3 of my dream cars I really don't have much desire to add anymore. There is one other classic I would like to own, but it is not critical that I do. So I also guess it depends on how much the cars you own does for you. But on the other hand if I win a million dollar lottery who knows what I'll do! ;)

• Like 1

Interesting question. Depends on whether you are a collector or a someone who wants vehicles to take you and your family from A to B. If you are a collector money and space are the limiting factors. For me, one car for me and another for my family is the limit even if I had money and space.

When you can't afford it. Simple.

On a more serious note, dude the variables are too many to give you a simple answer. Here are a few:

1. Money

2. Responsibilities

3. Wife

4. Kids

5. Priorities

6. Space in your garage/house

And each car is a portfolio in itself, no. Insurances, liscences, maintenance etc...

To put things in perspective I can barely afford my two cars now.

But I'd like to have a two storey underground garage with hydraulic lifts and chicks in spandex serving me egb while I get greased up with an engine

Watching too many movies/music videos lately?

According to my father, 3 cars (and one being 25 years old) is too many!

In NZ 4 cars is average for a family of 4 ( 2 children 16>) averaging 1:1. So anything more is too many! :)

Edited by CJ5

If you are wearing your sensible pants anything more than one car especially when there's only one license holder in the family is too much. first of all there's the space issue. No point just parking them around the house in the open if you are an enthusiast. then you have to figure out how you plan to use them. when you leave cars stranded for upto a week I've noticed they feel aged when you get back in them especially as they get older. They will definitely smell funny with age the longer you leave them parked. Then you might have them parked one behind the other. And you might have the ones you like more parked towards the front. So the ones in the back could get neglected. Even if you try to put in equal miles in them you might have to start one car move it out get the car you want and reverse the former back in. And this puts in quite a bit a wear and aids sludge build up if the engine doesn't get a chance to reach operating temperature every time.

Finally there are the costs to consider. If you had 3 vehicles and 6 working days a week you can take each car out twice a week, fuels costs and servicing costs won't be much of a problem cos each can run further for longer. But like many said there's licensing cost and insurance. That comes up every year whichever way you use the car. So three cars mean 3 times the tax and insurance of which 2/3 is wasted just keeping each car at home. you do the math. 3rd party isn't really an option. cos with the odds of having a crash it could happen in any one of them on any day. so it pays to have them insured.

However what matters at the end of the day is how much of of a petrolhead you are and how much you are willing to sacrifice. So its your choice, and your family's.

• Like 2

Finally there are the costs to consider. If you had 3 vehicles and 6 working days a week you can take each car out twice a week, fuels costs and servicing costs won't be much of a problem cos each can run further for longer. But like many said there's licensing cost and insurance. That comes up every year whichever way you use the car. So three cars mean 3 times the tax and insurance of which 2/3 is wasted just keeping each car at home. you do the math. 3rd party isn't really an option. cos with the odds of having a crash it could happen in any one of them on any day. so it pays to have them insured.

However what matters at the end of the day is how much of of a petrolhead you are and how much you are willing to sacrifice. So its your choice, and your family's.

I kinda have to disagree with you. If you have 4 cars and you're the only driver, then the car is out on the road only 1/4 the time, hence 1/4 the probability as a single car, but you still pay 4 full premiums.

My dad owns 4 vehicles (it was 5 at one point), and when I'm not in the country, he's the only person who drives at home. And he has always been on 3rd party cover. To date <<touch wood>> he has had 2 serious accidents, each costing around 100k-130k. Even after pocketing that out, he's saved more on insurance premiums.

• Like 1

this is my 2 cents.

1. Affordability - covers, all money, responsibilities, family, priorities, etc

2. Purpose - daily runner, weekends, goods and people transportation

Once above two fullfills it's time for collections, hence,

3. All types of collections based in your taste.

If one can afford only a single car, he'll have to find the correct balance. In my case, my affordability is 1, But my plan is to go for little old BMW, and may be a small jeep or double cab as a work horse.

its all relative to each person...id like a garage full of cars, 4wd`s, bikes and quads but i cant afford all of it so right now one 4wd and one sought of collectible car for the time being not forgetting the wife`s suv. if financially things improve id prob opt for few more. You need to decide if you have the money to buy and maintain an additional one if ur missus is ok with that and consider in the rest of the factors komi had suggested if it applies to you.

I kinda have to disagree with you. If you have 4 cars and you're the only driver, then the car is out on the road only 1/4 the time, hence 1/4 the probability as a single car, but you still pay 4 full premiums.

My dad owns 4 vehicles (it was 5 at one point), and when I'm not in the country, he's the only person who drives at home. And he has always been on 3rd party cover. To date <<touch wood>> he has had 2 serious accidents, each costing around 100k-130k. Even after pocketing that out, he's saved more on insurance premiums.

I like to think I'm a good driver. But then you don't know when your luck or talent might run out or some idiot runs in to you. sh*t happens right? my concern is just cos your vehicle faces the risk of crashing 1/4 as opposed to a daily driver when something goes wrong if it does go wrong a crash is a crash your vehicle and your wallet will take the brunt of it.

Too bad they haven't got packages for 2nd or 3rd cars here like they do in other countries. so you can state the sort of driving you do and how often you do it in a particular vehicle (like twice a week) and the premium goes down.

Anyway Watchman your theory is indeed applicable if a persons running older more common vehicles (10+ years) like for an example a carina or a corolla. but for more recent vehicles we are looking at about 1mil per repair if the airbags go off even if the car starts and moves, for airbags, radiators condensors, bonnet, lights, etc. If its just a light in a car park fender bender we are looking at about 30k per side. So its better to have cars like these insured just for peace of mind.

this is my 2 cents.

1. Affordability - covers, all money, responsibilities, family, priorities, etc

2. Purpose - daily runner, weekends, goods and people transportation

Once above two fullfills it's time for collections, hence,

3. All types of collections based in your taste.

If one can afford only a single car, he'll have to find the correct balance. In my case, my affordability is 1, But my plan is to go for little old BMW, and may be a small jeep or double cab as a work horse.

+1

For me I would like to have 2 cars.

One car for daily use and other should be an old classic.

Currently I can afford my daily runner only.

But after finishing all my personal projects, surely there is a place for a Morris Minor or a Ford Prefect E105.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

I like to think I'm a good driver. But then you don't know when your luck or talent might run out or some idiot runs in to you. sh*t happens right? my concern is just cos your vehicle faces the risk of crashing 1/4 as opposed to a daily driver when something goes wrong if it does go wrong a crash is a crash your vehicle and your wallet will take the brunt of it.

Too bad they haven't got packages for 2nd or 3rd cars here like they do in other countries. so you can state the sort of driving you do and how often you do it in a particular vehicle (like twice a week) and the premium goes down.

Anyway Watchman your theory is indeed applicable if a persons running older more common vehicles (10+ years) like for an example a carina or a corolla. but for more recent vehicles we are looking at about 1mil per repair if the airbags go off even if the car starts and moves, for airbags, radiators condensors, bonnet, lights, etc. If its just a light in a car park fender bender we are looking at about 30k per side. So its better to have cars like these insured just for peace of mind.

I guess we have to agree to disagree here :D But I do agree if its a higher end car a serious accident will be putting a serious dent in your pocket.

Sorry for the late response guys.

I have two daily drivers now. And my project car is slowly falling in line. Slower than my patience.

In my household there are 3 drivers. So two cars leaves someone calling a cab sometimes. And what I would ideally like to do is to get something that is not necessarily a classic still, but will turn out to be one in a few years, and hold on to it. Use it for a bit of light running, mostly errands, picking kids from classes, mostly in and and around the neighborhood.

So I was thinking of something like a Merc W115 or W123 or a BMW E30. Cars which can be had for less than a mil and if its a properly taken care of one should last a life time. And Insurance shouldnt be that bad on a vehicle under a mil right?

What other cars can I consider? I would like to consider a few JDM classics as well?

How about a Datto 510 four door? There were some examples for sale as noted by Komi and Sampath. You would end up spending some cash on maintenance or repairs (depending on the condition, of course) but it would be ideal for light running.

My other recommendation is a KE72V, but you already knew that! :sport-smiley-004:

Edited by Jaliya48

Apart from Jaliya's suggestions....Presuming you don't want the run of the mill KE20/30/50, Sunny B31x/21x, sedan...

Although the Sunny hatchbacks are quite desirable....<well the ones without the 5min bolt on body kits by you know who...>

60s and 70s Carina, Corona/Corona Mark II... or the same from the 70s and early 80s along with Cressida, Crown and Corolla KE70 sedan (the Corolla AE80 sedan from the 80s..is somewhat interesting?) could be options ?

Not to mention the Nissan Violet/Bluebird (710 ?) from the 70s...or the 910 from the 80s

Ooh and the Mazda 1500/1800 (a.k.a Luce/Upali Mazda...) are nice too...I personally thought the euro design of the car was a lot sexier than the "I want to look like a huge american gas guzzler" look of some of the other Japanese cars of the period.

unfortunately most of the Jap cars I have seen from the 70s have been molested with non-spec lights and body panels and petrol-diesel conversions etc...(probably due to lack of parts and/or owners not caring a rat's-rear-end) or are in dire need of significant work...