• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw E46 1999- 2003

BAnuradha

Any particular reason for choosing a pre-facelist?

As I said, my choice was purely cosmetic. I am fond of cars with amber lenses (which is a thing of the past, sadly) and the pre facelift has them. Cosmetics aside, you should go for one that has been maintained well. A nice car won't look quite so nice when it's spending time at a mechanic's!

• Like 2

I'm in the minority here and my decision is purely cosmetic, but I would go for a pre facelift.

True Jaliya. Pre facelift is much better looking than the facelift. My choice also the same unless they haven't done any modifications/enhancements on the technologywise on the facelift. :)

Had few E46 in here, and lot of good and bad experience, but Lucky the Best Bmer and Merc tech in NZ is one of our Sri Lankan guy who owns a work shop here, he saved me most of the time

DO NOT BUY FASTLIFT MODEL WITH N42 ENGINE, its a crap, go for M43 engine, check all the water lines properly before buy or replace them after and if it manual gear, please check the Clutch is in mint, as you need to replace whole kit (Clutch plate, pre plate and Flywheel :speechless-smiley-004: that cost me $1000+

- Always use BMW coolent (From Dealer) this will lubricate the system cooling system and you good to go

• Like 1

DO NOT BUY FASTLIFT MODEL WITH N42 ENGINE, its a crap, go for M43 engine, check all the water lines properly before buy or replace them after and if it manual gear, please check the Clutch is in mint, as you need to replace whole kit (Clutch plate, pre plate and Flywheel :speechless-smiley-004: that cost me $1000+

- Always use BMW coolent (From Dealer) this will lubricate the system cooling system and you good to go

Hey John,

can u pls explain the differnce between two engines pls?

M43 Engine:-

SOCH engine and you can see on 1.6 1.8 and 2.0 as the CC ratings and and M42 is the high output model with dual cams but my experience is not good with M42 as its not that eco like M43 but pulled a lot better

- N42 engine:-

DOHC engine and not available on 1.6 bit 1.8 and 2.0, Covered with black cover not like M43 silver cover, looks really nice and featured with valvetronic technology

Pre facelift (1998-2002): The only options available in SL were the petrol 1.9 four pot, 2.0 ltr 6 pot and diesel 2 ltr 4 pot. The best pick would be a 6 pot if a good one can be found... 1.9 is good if you are worried about fuel consumption, but no considerable difference. The Diesels engines were made with another partner (either Rover or Peugeot) not sure. The more loaded the cars were, given their age now, there are things that can go wrong with the electronics.

Petrol engines:

• bullet proof as long as servicing and maintenance is done on time.
  • a bit expensive to run in terms of fuel, but no headaches in terms of maintenance, repairs.

Diesels:

• Cheaper to run on a daily basis
  • Lots of repairs related to the engine, turbo, gearbox, diesel pump, etc and is expensive.

Facelift (2002-2005): Again same options lists, but updated engines for petrols and diesels. Petrol engines are available in 2 ltr 4 pots and 2.2 ltr 6 pots, diesels were 2ltr 4 pots, in SL. Cosmetic updates were done to the lights, front fenders, bonnet and kidney grill.

Petrol engines:

• Better pulling power than the pre-facelift 1.9. However, expensive on maintenance due to a mechnical problem with the engine that results in a repair costing more 150k. Its common in all 318i facelift models.
  • 2.2 ltr petrol is very rare in SL.

Diesels:

• Had a diesel commonrail engine thats better than the prefacelift engine. Lesser engine repairs from what I have heard.
  • Better grunt and more power.
  • Like 1

The number number of Diesel E46's at Milroy's should tell you to stay away. The same will probably be witnessed with all these 520d's as well. Sad but true. Seems to be a Sri Lanka specific problem, possibly owing to the standards of Diesel we get here.

Get a petrol and be safe(er) :)

Actually the diesel engine problem is not SL specific, just google BBC watchdog BMW diesel engines......

Are the diesel engine problems related to age or to manufacturing defects?

The BMW diesels particularly common rails do have an issue with the swirl flaps, which has now been abandoned by BMW. There are after market blanking kits available which can be installed to remove the swirl flaps. The issue was that the flaps would break and fall into the engine causing internal damage requiring an engine rebuild. They were meant to increase fuel economy by creating a vortex which aided better burn.

I would like to know the difference between e46 and e90

Engine and other options.

Heard there there some issues in diesel pump and turbo in e46. Is that still remain in e90

Google that exact phrase, it should give you everything you need to know. This thing called the internet is a wonderful thing if you use it properly..

Yes. Any buyer who wants to buy an E90 M3 should buy an E90 M3. Period. :)

I would normally agree with you. But if this guy actually knew what he was doing he'd know that there arent any E90 M3s in Sri Lanka. So he should't expect any actual advice, unless his intention was to tell us about the little German snake that slid into his house.