• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

nato23

Don't the highways belong to the Chinese for the next 50 years?

No.. All debts are to be paid by the treasury.. income of the highways could be used to pay them but if for some reason that income ceases, treasury still have to pay them... Its not like china takes what ever the income generates by highways to their account for 50 years..

Don't the highways belong to the Chinese for the next 50 years?

In a way yes they do because the Chinese will get all the contracts for building highways in SL for the next 50 years and even beyond if that's what you meant.

I don't know what their motivation is, but the Chinese are building roads and highways all over the world. Not just Sri Lanka. Particularly, many African countries now have hundreds of Chinese-built roads and highways. Knowing the Chinese, I'm pretty sure they have some higher-strategy, not merely toll income.

I don't know what their motivation is, but the Chinese are building roads and highways all over the world. Not just Sri Lanka. Particularly, many African countries now have hundreds of Chinese-built roads and highways. Knowing the Chinese, I'm pretty sure they have some higher-strategy, not merely toll income.

It's for the minerals in Africa (just one example is "rare-earth" required for batteries in Hybrid and electric cars. I have read that China controls about 90% of the global output with their links in Africa. Last year they had a row with Japan who is large consumer regarding pricing) Just like they've done here, they've "bought over" those governments. SL offers a lot in terms of a transit point for all those minerals and other produce that is shipped to China to feed their billion people. Also I'm guessing that they'd like to have our fertile soil to cultivate and a pure water to quench their thirst.

Look at their strategies. They give loans for seemingly nonviable projects with a hidden viable agenda (their own). Then the country in question builds and starts operating but cannot repay. Then they come up with the solution of converting the debt into shares = ownership! It has already happened with a part of the Colombo port. I can't recall the exact location but I recall reading it in a newspaper.

The expressways are probably earning some reasonable income even if their costs have been inflated. But the port and airport will probably be white elephants until they get total control.......

It's for the minerals in Africa (just one example is "rare-earth" required for batteries in Hybrid and electric cars. I have read that China controls about 90% of the global output with their links in Africa. Last year they had a row with Japan who is large consumer regarding pricing) Just like they've done here, they've "bought over" those governments. SL offers a lot in terms of a transit point for all those minerals and other produce that is shipped to China to feed their billion people. Also I'm guessing that they'd like to have our fertile soil to cultivate and a pure water to quench their thirst.

Look at their strategies. They give loans for seemingly nonviable projects with a hidden viable agenda (their own). Then the country in question builds and starts operating but cannot repay. Then they come up with the solution of converting the debt into shares = ownership! It has already happened with a part of the Colombo port. I can't recall the exact location but I recall reading it in a newspaper.

The expressways are probably earning some reasonable income even if their costs have been inflated. But the port and airport will probably be white elephants until they get total control.......

Yeah! you can say that again. Even Norochcholai power plant could be a small part of the same strategy. Next time when we hold it the CHOGM would stand for Chinese Heads of Govt Meeting :sport-smiley-004: BTW even the fireworks for CHOGM last night at parliament ground must have come from China.

• Like 1

Members,

I have traveled on a road 25 years ago link two cities cross country South America which was build 35 years ago at that time. I traveled through on that road. World Bank had funded with old technology using three sizes of rock and top Carpeting of 4 inches, within few years low marshy lands, where road was build. Although they had build with drainage facilities, within few years. Pot holes had come up. On that road.

It is possible the Chinese build our roads will be same in few years time. Do not know their agreement with SL Government to maintain them at their cost. For next 50 years.

Katunayake express way was started originally by late Prime Minister Hon, Dudly Senanayke.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

GTAm you are spot on about the Chinese strategy. To further elaborate, Chinese simply approve loans for projects on terms and conditions that any other sane financial institute or organization would simply refuse. They simply cater to the whims of corrupt, narrow minded rulers who are after cheap publicity (including our very own).

Oh and the name of the port you are looking for is Colombo South Port/Terminal.

Talking about the other white elephant projects, has anyone used the new airport in Matthala? I sincerely hope it won’t turn into like the Ciudad Real airport in Spain which was featured in Topgear. Atleast the Spanish can blame it on the economy. What is our excuse?

• Like 1

Idiot politicas and morons who elected them

kush,

I too agree with you. If they have elections next year They will win again. Opposition party had done some changes to their party I hope voters will be satisfied and elect them if the ruling party declare elections next year. Only single party has most number of voters.

Present development was not started by the sitting Idiots. If not for who crossed over (most educated members) are from opposition party if they were not there. sitting governing party will never do all blunders to our economy. They know they can go on for some time and fill their pockets for future generations to come.

Present development was created when 4 letter party lost elections due to their frailer to run the government properly efficiently to develop Sri Lanka economy.

3 letter opposition party came to win the elections which head could do any thing under the sun. Only he said I cannot change the sex of human beings. HE DID NOT CREATE A FAMILY TREE.

Free Economy was created. Thereby imports were liberalize we have new fleet of vehicles. SL , was on a total new path more jobs were created in all industries.

I do not want to write long details of what happened after 1977. all of us know I will remain at this.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Talking about the other white elephant projects, has anyone used the new airport in Matthala? I sincerely hope it won’t turn into like the Ciudad Real airport in Spain which was featured in Topgear. Atleast the Spanish can blame it on the economy. What is our excuse?

A few elephants (I mean the animals, the wild ones, you know the four legged ones, the beasts, the big black not green ones, the endangered species in SL, mmm... how do I explain? whatever.. oh I give up) in the area had tried to enter but failed. Being members of an automobile forum we sincerely should hope that it would be converted to a formula-1 track one day!

Edited by Rumesh88

A few elephants (I mean the animals, the wild ones, you know the four legged ones, the beasts, the big black not green ones, the endangered species in SL, mmm... how do I explain? whatever.. oh I give up) in the area had tried to enter but failed. Being members of an automobile forum we sincerely should hope that it would be converted to a formula-1 track one day!

Rumesh88,

Good idea we can have international motor racing inviting world renown drivers.

So that is a way to improve tourist income our cheap hotel rates than Monte Carlo.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

Having five legs often... ;)

May be much easier to convert it into a drag racing strip.

GTAm you are spot on about the Chinese strategy. To further elaborate, Chinese simply approve loans for projects on terms and conditions that any other sane financial institute or organization would simply refuse. They simply cater to the whims of corrupt, narrow minded rulers who are after cheap publicity (including our very own).

Oh and the name of the port you are looking for is Colombo South Port/Terminal.

Oh yes. What a finding!! China is approving loans for corrupt, narrow minded Obama administration. right? 'Cos China's biggest investment is in nowhere else other than the USA government bonds amounting to $1.2 trillion. And the best part is that they must know that the USA can't pay it back.

While USA is making enemies everywhere including within its allies, China is making partners every where.

What I believe is that China has a long term plan extended at least for the next 60 to 70 years. None of us will be able to imagine the scale of it.

Oh yes. What a finding!! China is approving loans for corrupt, narrow minded Obama administration. right? 'Cos China's biggest investment is in nowhere else other than the USA government bonds amounting to $1.2 trillion. And the best part is that they must know that the USA can't pay it back.

While USA is making enemies everywhere including within its allies, China is making partners every where.

What I believe is that China has a long term plan extended at least for the next 60 to 70 years. None of us will be able to imagine the scale of it.

My man, you have chartered in to a very complex territory. You are comparing apples to oranges. In this case government bonds to commercial loans. Only similarity between the two are both are ways of obtaining debt. Mind you debt is a good thing if used appropriately (if you disagree we should stop this conversation right now and go opposite ways).

Keeping things very simple, money obtained by the US Treasury by selling bonds are mainly used to fund numerous social programs i.e medicare/medicaid (let’s not forget obamacare), social security, education and the list goes on. Benefits of these programs are reaped by the general public and in return they make a positive contribution to the economy (i’m not ruling out the fact there’s corruption and wastage, that is simply a part and parcel of politics).

Now compare that with how we are spending the Chinese money (do I really need to spell it out here).

Do you have any idea about the difference between the interest we are paying for our loans (which are spent on inefficient projects) and the rates on treasury bond yields? And do you know why the treasury bond rates are so low? Or why the Chinese actually buy vast quantities of US bonds?

Two main reason for the last question is, to artificially devalue the Yuan to ensure Chinese goods stay competitive and to maintain a trade imbalance between US and China. And because China buy US bonds by the bucket load its keeping the interest rates down resulting in cheaper borrowing cost for US. This cheap debt is injected to social programs and the cycle goes on.

Yes the US has made a blunder with its debt (thank you Bush administration and Alan Greenspan for deregulating the markets) but lot of good has come out of it too. Let’s see if we can do the same with our share of Chinese money.

whatrever,

Sometimes your prediction will be a reality. China started this first helping GIN GANGA project in SL. They do almost all contracts big projects with their funds.

China had taken over all money making business production in their country. Like Electronic spares House hold Electrical equipment Vehicles Etc. They are improving quality daily with R&D in future they will have more industries in their country.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Talking about airports, Spanish ghost airport is up for grabs for 1/10 the cost.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/10/travel/spanish-ghost-airport/index.html

And this just sounds way too familiar

The airport is located in one of Spain's least populated regions, next to what Lonely Planet calls "an unspectacular Spanish working town
Edited by xXx

Members,

Any advantage Sri Lankans gained on this CHOGM.

Only the Colombo city got a face lift. Most buildings got a new coat of Paint.

Police forced building owners to do a face lift, if not the will do same and the owner will be prosecuted and find with the cost of the work.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...