• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Do You Put The Handbrake On When In P?

sampathapg

Question

To take the load off the GB. Especially if you park on an incline (or decline)

When you park, the best practice I'd say is to first select 'N", and then apply parking brake, release the foot brake for a second so that the wheels get locked with the parking brake, and then press the foot brake again and shift to 'P'

This way, the weight of the vehicle is off the gear box when you park.

Have you seen, if you just shift to P and then leave the car (with or without parking brake) the car rocks forward and backwards a few cm before settling down. This is not good for the gearbox in the long run if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by ae100
  • Like 1

When you park, the best practice I'd say is to first select 'N", and then apply parking brake, release the foot brake for a second so that the wheels get locked with the parking brake, and then press the foot brake again and shift to 'P'

Have you seen, if you just shift to P and then leave the car (with or without parking brake) the car rocks forward and backwards a few cm before settling down. This is not good for the gearbox in the long run if I'm not mistaken.

Makes sense except for the bold part. The foot brake is redundant as the parking brake is already engaged by that time. Or am I missing something?

Edit: Just realised that some vehicles won't let you shift without the brake pedal pressed..Sorry :)

Edited by Hoonigan

That's what I do too

Also, in front wheel driven vehicles, the gear locks only the front wheels whereas the parking brake locks the rear wheels. Having both engaged will ensure that all four wheels remain locked.

"When you park, the best practice I'd say is to first select 'N", and then apply parking brake, release the foot brake for a second so that the wheels get locked with the parking brake, and then press the foot brake again and shift to 'P'

Have you seen, if you just shift to P and then leave the car (with or without parking brake) the car rocks forward and backwards a few cm before settling down. This is not good for the gearbox in the long run if I'm not mistaken. "

Good one I should adopt this. I used to do it, apply parking brake while keeping foot on the brake paddle and then put gear in to "P".

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe

ha ha ha.. Oh that typo..a good one it is:-)

Good to see you around ... :D

I've seen people who apply handbrakes in stop and go traffic! O.o

AFAIK in UK its illegal to use foot brakes to hold the vehicle in stationary queues of traffic, It's mandatory to use parking brake.