• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2014 International Engine Of The Year Awards

osaka_dude

http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/index.php

• International Engine of the Year - Ford 999cc three-cylinder turbo
  • Green Engine - Tesla full-electric powertrain
  • New Engine - Mercedes-AMG 2.0-liter turbo
  • Performance Engine - Ferrari 4.5-liter eight-cylinder
  • Sub 1.0-liter - Ford 999cc three-cylinder turbo
  • 1.0-liter to 1.4-liter - Volkswagen Group 1.4-liter four-cylinder TSI Twincharger
  • 1.4-liter to 1.8-liter - BMW-PSA Peugeot Citroën 1.6-liter four-cylinder turbo petrol
  • 1.8-liter to 2.0-liter - Mercedes-AMG 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo
  • 2.0-liter to 2.5-liter - Audi 2.5-liter five-cylinder turbo
  • 2.5-liter to 3-liter - BMW 3.0-liter twin-power turbo six-cylinder gasoline
  • 3.0-liter to 4-liter - McLaren 3.8-liter eight-cylinder
  • Above 4.0-liter - Ferrari 4.5-liter eight-cylinder

sadly no Japanese Winners,only Mazda skyactive diesel managed to get nominated.

Do Japanese automakers who make 1in 3 new car Engines in the world today, lag behind so much in innovative Engine technology? where is the golden era with Vtec,VVT going?

Osaka, don't be silly man. There is a reason why Japanese lose out on these awards and its not necessarily a bad thing.

1. The Japanese quality control dictate that they do not productionise technology without extensive testing. This means their latest technology does not see daylight until after their European competitors but usually lead to more reliable products. You might already know, nearly all new modes coming out of European manufacturers with new features usually have issues which then get resolved in a revision or through soft recalls.

2. The Japanese do not really build high displacement engines. Their focus is on consumer products, so straight away lose out on that category

3. Once they develop new technology, they use it for a while. For example the current 3 pot engines you see in Vitz etc won awards in its category. The Hybrid synergy drive won engine of the year award multiple times

Also Osaka, VTEC, VVT were NOT revolutionary technology in the day and were not invented by the Japanese :) They did not even mark a golden era in Japanese technology. The VTEC engines were popular because they were reliable above all, light and produced great power to weight figures. Toyota's VVTs delivered class leading fuel economy. But both were their adaptation of technology developed by other companies.

Also finally, we need innovation, yes, but all that is new is not gold. And all that win awards do not translate to commercial success. Out of those engines, the only thing to really shift cars has been the 998 powertrain by Ford which is a delightful engine fitted to the Fiesta and delivers more power than its contemporaries.

Osaka, don't be silly man. There is a reason why Japanese lose out on these awards and its not necessarily a bad thing.

1. The Japanese quality control dictate that they do not productionise technology without extensive testing. This means their latest technology does not see daylight until after their European competitors but usually lead to more reliable products. You might already know, nearly all new modes coming out of European manufacturers with new features usually have issues which then get resolved in a revision or through soft recalls.

2. The Japanese do not really build high displacement engines. Their focus is on consumer products, so straight away lose out on that category

3. Once they develop new technology, they use it for a while. For example the current 3 pot engines you see in Vitz etc won awards in its category. The Hybrid synergy drive won engine of the year award multiple times

Also Osaka, VTEC, VVT were NOT revolutionary technology in the day and were not invented by the Japanese :) They did not even mark a golden era in Japanese technology. The VTEC engines were popular because they were reliable above all, light and produced great power to weight figures. Toyota's VVTs delivered class leading fuel economy. But both were their adaptation of technology developed by other companies.

Also finally, we need innovation, yes, but all that is new is not gold. And all that win awards do not translate to commercial success. Out of those engines, the only thing to really shift cars has been the 998 powertrain by Ford which is a delightful engine fitted to the Fiesta and delivers more power than its contemporaries.

1.DON's statement may have been correct a decade ago.But EU makers are have also implemented the japanese quality control principles(heinjunka,lean,mizen bousi...) and the quality has significanly improved in the past decade or so.And looking at the largest recalls recently(8million cars for Toyota aceeleration issue,2million Prius ZVW30 and the list goes on),the concept of Japanese quality has been challenged.

VVT,VTEC they may have not been invented by Japanese,but developed as reliable technology by them.As someone working in the industry,I wonder if too much regulation and processes has killed the innovation in japanese engineering.

As for the Fiesta,I think it is way ahead of the Priuss.since it provides similar fuel efficiency figures without any additional motors and battery.

p.s: I will stop short of calling you Silly since I am just a member and have no administration privileges like you.

Edited by osaka_dude

1.DON's statement may have been correct a decade ago.But EU makers are have also implemented the japanese quality control principles(heinjunka,lean,mizen bousi...) and the quality has significanly improved in the past decade or so.And looking at the largest recalls recently(8million cars for Toyota aceeleration issue,2million Prius ZVW30 and the list goes on),the concept of Japanese quality has been challenged.

VVT,VTEC they may have not been invented by Japanese,but developed as reliable technology by them.As someone working in the industry,I wonder if too much regulation and processes has killed the innovation in japanese engineering.

As for the Fiesta,I think it is way ahead of the Priuss.since it provides similar fuel efficiency figures without any additional motors and battery.

p.s: I will stop short of calling you Silly since I am just a member and have no administration privileges like you.

We, other general members here are just grateful that administrative privileges here are not vested in dick heads like you.

Working in the industry, not knowing what's happening in there... Ane this fool reminds me of Allan Harper of 2 & a half Men.

• Like 1

Ohh another thread with O_J involved... machan O_J aren't u in Japan & maybe working there as well in an automotive engineering capacity....??? IF so u are in Japan working for a Japanese company getting paid also i guess :P why are u b!tching so much about the hand that feeds you instead of doing something about it, since you seem to be a knowledgeable chap... with internet links and explanations etc etc.

Every damn thread is about some engine, an award or a recall....u MUST be related to Cali :D

• Like 2

Vtec is going to be with vvti this friday. Vvti is going to kandy. Hope that answers your question. All this brouhaha just to know where vvti is going. Shouldve jus asked him straight no

ah mu vvti aiya passe yanna hadanne....

• Like 1

Engine of the year awards are like the Oscars in the movie industry. Only a few Oscar winning movies become popular and gross millions in the box-office. There's no relationship between winning an Oscar and public perception about it.

Sorry about not trolling :)

• Like 1

To be honest the winners are very deserving of the awards.Especially the Ford and the VW 1.4T,amazing performace for their size.

Except for maybe the GTR's v6 the new generation of Jap engines have been largely meh.

• Like 1

To be honest the winners are very deserving of the awards.Especially the Ford and the VW 1.4T,amazing performace for their size.

Except for maybe the GTR's v6 the new generation of Jap engines have been largely meh.

True. The older Jap 5AFEs, the SRs, the RBs and the EJ series engines ruled the world at one point along withe BMW M50s and the M52s.

• Like 1

Ohh another thread with O_J involved... machan O_J aren't u in Japan & maybe working there as well in an automotive engineering capacity....??? IF so u are in Japan working for a Japanese company getting paid also i guess :Pwhy are u b!tching so much about the hand that feeds you instead of doing something about it, since you seem to be a knowledgeable chap... with internet links and explanations etc etc.

I bet this ungrateful asshole would charge his parents for taking care of them one day.

Edit:

This guy maybe trying to troll us with his automotive facts and opinions, but when he says things like this what actually shows is his personal values and qualities. So even if he leaves his automotive opinions at the door, he shows what kind of gutter-scum he really is. It's probably a good thing that he's no longer in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka will NOT miss him.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 3

True. The older Jap 5AFEs, the SRs, the RBs and the EJ series engines ruled the world at one point along withe BMW M50s and the M52s.

The BMW M series engines were really solid. The M57 diesel was used until recently and has won the engine of the year a few times as well.

The N series engines have not been as solid, mostly thanks to "new technology" introduced, which make them more expensive to maintain as well. For example the N57 has variable geometry turbos which cost twice what the M57 costs but the M57 has no obvious turbo lag ........

Nissan's VQ engines won its category in Wards for 10 consecutive years.

I'm not sure if it won any awards but the Nissan TD engines were probably the best in class. Solid, economical, reliable, everything a Diesel engine should be. London cabbies still remember when their beloved black cabs were powered by TD 27 engines. Now they are powered by VW engines because of emissions restrictions.

I had an old Willy's with a SD33 on it still coupled to the stock GM..... never remembered if I ever changed gears or not..... what ever gear it was on I used to drive LOL... had only 3 FWD anyway. Sold it for 75K back in 2000.. :)

Bought it while stoned and drunk, and sold it a few months later and to this day I regret both decisions.

• Like 1

I bet this ungrateful asshole would charge his parents for taking care of them one day.

Edit:

This guy maybe trying to troll us with his automotive facts and opinions, but when he says things like this what actually shows is his personal values and qualities. So even if he leaves his automotive opinions at the door, he shows what kind of gutter-scum he really is. It's probably a good thing that he's no longer in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka will NOT miss him.

Aha,The Rat is out of the bag again Trollin OT all over the forum.

Sri Lankan economy has fallen to its sorry China dependent state because of uneducated d!ckheads like this moron who has no constructive criticism to give to it whatsoever.They just live on with foreign remittances from hardworking expat Sri lankans which save the financial system from collapsing and brag about patriotism! :sport-smiley-004:

Now I am waiting for SNLM to ban me again for obscene language while not noticing the more obscene words used buy this [censored] watchman [censored].

P.S:I wonder [censored by moderator] with this non-open mentality closed to any self-criticism.

Edited by The Don
Foul language

Aha,The Rat is out of the bag again Trollin OT all over the forum.

Sri Lankan economy has fallen to its sorry China dependent state because of uneducated d!ckheads like this moron who has no constructive criticism to give to it whatsoever.They just live on with foreign remittances from hardworking expat Sri lankans which save the financial system from collapsing and brag about patriotism! :sport-smiley-004:

Now I am waiting for SNLM to ban me again for obscene language while not noticing the more obscene words used buy this [censored] watchman [censored].

P.S:I wonder [censored by moderator] with this non-open mentality closed to any self-criticism.

lM7JmFO.jpg

Edited by The Don
Had to edit it to take out the original quote
  • Like 1