• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tyres - What Brand To Choose?

I am planning to buy 4 new tyres for my Toyota 121 car.

Can you please tell me some good tyre brands which can buy for affordable price.I heard Maxxis tyres are worth for the money.Is it true?

To get the maximum ride comfort what tyre size should i select?

Edited by lahiru_carlover

Bought 2 Good Year Duraplus tyres (185*65*14) for 11000/- each in January. Comfier than the Maxxis ones I had on front. Same dealer offered me Dunlop SP Touring for 10200/-

If I may ask who is the dealer? My front tyres are at it's last stages I am thinking of replacing them with 185/70/R14 tyres. Already got some quotes.

Ravindra Lanka Auto Service on Hill Street, Dehiwela quoted the following for the aforementioned size.

Maxxis - 10,250/= ( he said he is giving a 40,000 Km warranty)

Hifly (Chinese) - 7900/=

GT - 9700 (both a 35,000 Km warranty)

Hello lahiru-carlover,

Michelin would also be a good choice.I found a pair [ for a March AK12 ] imported from UK .If not, best is to try a Japanese set.

Korean-made Nexen/Roadstone are less expensive but may give you bit of road noise,nothing unbearable though.

I think it's good to stick to the Maker's recommended tyre sizes [ found at the bottom B-Pillar mostly] as this is associated with other vital parameters of the car such as braking,perfect geometry and performance,you know if you consider technical aspects ]

Please search the previous similar queries and you will get more info.

All the best

Edited by zaradiyel

If I may ask who is the dealer? My front tyres are at it's last stages I am thinking of replacing them with 185/70/R14 tyres. Already got some quotes.

Ravindra Lanka Auto Service on Hill Street, Dehiwela quoted the following for the aforementioned size.

Maxxis - 10,250/= ( he said he is giving a 40,000 Km warranty)

Hifly (Chinese) - 7900/=

GT - 9700 (both a 35,000 Km warranty)

Tyre Lanka, Kotte (next to Kushmi foods). Personally I would prefer a Taiwanese Dunlop pair over Maxxis as both are around the same price.

• Like 1

Tyre Lanka, Kotte (next to Kushmi foods). Personally I would prefer a Taiwanese Dunlop pair over Maxxis as both are around the same price.

Yep,

Checked with U&H Malay street recently and they quoted 9500/- for 175/65/14 for Dunlop Taiwan or Thailand

Im using Chinese tyres (kinforest, deruibo) on both my cars. This is after switching from Continental, Bridgestone and Hankook. Personally I would never buy anything other than Chinese tyres anymore because frankly I feel no difference between those and branded ones, irrespective of the road condition or weather condition.

• Like 2

Im using Chinese tyres (kinforest, deruibo) on both my cars. This is after switching from Continental, Bridgestone and Hankook. Personally I would never buy anything other than Chinese tyres anymore because frankly I feel no difference between those and branded ones, irrespective of the road condition or weather condition.

Honestly I find that very hard to believe. There Is a very noticeable difference when using good tyres both in terms of ride comfort and grip levels, especially in the wet. I suppose if you never push your car even slightly you would not notice at all but when pressing on, proper tyres make a difference.

You're kidding right?

• Like 1

I switched from Toyo to kinforest. (That's all i could find in the size i was looking for)

With our crappy roads, i doubt the whether the brand makes much of a difference.

You need a damn hard tire above all else with all these construction around just to make sure they don't get damaged. :)

However the Kinforest is markedly noisier than Toyo's based on my experience.

Edited by B2Spirit

Honestly I find that very hard to believe. There Is a very noticeable difference when using good tyres both in terms of ride comfort and grip levels, especially in the wet. I suppose if you never push your car even slightly you would not notice at all but when pressing on, proper tyres make a difference.

You did make a good point. While I'm not in to pushing the cars too hard, the Kinforest tyres on the Focus have been through a reasonable share of wet conditions, bends on Colombo - Peradeniya- Nuwara Eliya roads, gravel roads, highways . The chinese tyres made no difference to me. They are not as comfy as the Continentals which I had earlier but Focus is not a comfortable car anyway. Of course we don't have the facilities to check them and benchmark them so we have to go by what each person feels. I hardly felt any difference. Having said that If I am in to motorsports, I'll still think twice about having chinese tyres.

I switched from Toyo to kinforest. (That's all i could find in the size i was looking for)

With our crappy roads, i doubt the whether the brand makes much of a difference.

You need a damn hard tire above all else with all these construction around just to make sure they don't get damaged. :)

However the Kinforest is markedly noisier than Toyo's based on my experience.

Ever wondered what effect those "damned hard" tyres you think are ideal would have upon your suspension (bushes, shocks etc)?

You did make a good point. While I'm not in to pushing the cars too hard, the Kinforest tyres on the Focus have been through a reasonable share of wet conditions, bends on Colombo - Peradeniya- Nuwara Eliya roads, gravel roads, highways . The chinese tyres made no difference to me. They are not as comfy as the Continentals which I had earlier but Focus is not a comfortable car anyway. Of course we don't have the facilities to check them and benchmark them so we have to go by what each person feels. I hardly felt any difference. Having said that If I am in to motorsports, I'll still think twice about having chinese tyres.

Fair point, Chinese tyres seem to be all right for the price you pay, but they are not really up to the quality standards of the proper brands IMO. Previous owner has put a set of Kinforests on the Cat and I'm saving up to replace them with something decent. They aren't half bad but they are quite hard and that has a negative effect on the ride. It isn't great for the suspension either. Of course with the big brands ranging from 75-85k Per tire based on the quotes i've got thus far, I'll be likely running the Kinforests for a while longer...

Ever wondered what effect those "damned hard" tyres you think are ideal would have upon your suspension (bushes, shocks etc)?

Fair point, Chinese tyres seem to be all right for the price you pay, but they are not really up to the quality standards of the proper brands IMO. Previous owner has put a set of Kinforests on the Cat and I'm saving up to replace them with something decent. They aren't half bad but they are quite hard and that has a negative effect on the ride. It isn't great for the suspension either. Of course with the big brands ranging from 75-85k Per tire based on the quotes i've got thus far, I'll be likely running the Kinforests for a while longer...

The choice was pretty simple for me too..

205/50 R17 Continental - 68,000 x4 = 272,000

205/50 R17 Kinforest - 11,500 x 4 = 46,000

• Like 3

The choice was pretty simple for me too..

205/50 R17 Continental - 68,000 x4 = 272,000

205/50 R17 Kinforest - 11,500 x 4 = 46,000

lol

Once I went to buy a reverse bulb. chinese 30 and japanese 150. I can put 5 chinese bulbs instead of 1 jap. replaced with chinese one, still working perfectly.

How about Federal tyres. dealer gave me 40,000 km guarantee too.

Guys, a couple of years ago they started marketing Avon Tyres in SL. I phoned up for mine but they did not have the size I needed. But their prices were competitive compared to other so called premium brands.

And guys, Maxxis does make softer tyres. Try their MA-Z1 range, which is what I now religiously use in SL. Very good value for money.

Not all Chinese tyres use hard compound rubber. But its not easy to get information or reviews on some of those brands. Thankfully there were reviews on MA-Z1 and by my experience its been true to the feedback.

So even Kinforest might do softer compound tyres, and so might other Chinese brands. They are slowly becoming mainstream and will catch up with the premiums soon.

On a 5th Gear test, in terms of wet grip and stopping distance, the budget tyres performed pretty well against the premium brands.

I've used both soft and hard compound tyres (the OHTSU Falkens I had on the Mirage was quite hard while the MA-Z1s are quite soft). I had less grip, increased road noise, and slightly bumpier ride with the harder compound tyre, but to be perfectly honest I can't really say it has messed the suspension up noticably during the time they were on. So you need to look at the value equation. Spend 4 times as much on the tyres, or spend on suspension repairs (which I'm not entirely convinced on, because the bumps we have, no tyre can iron out) a little earlier.

Also our roads have also become better.

You know what's funny...

People praise brands like Maxxis tyres and will run away faster than a bullet, if a shopkeeper tries to sell them a brand like Cheng Shin

Without knowing this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheng_Shin_Rubber

Its exactly why they branded it Maxxis I guess :)

You know, the Chinese do decent tyres. I buy my tyres from a web site called blackcircles.com, primarily because they will price match anybody else, and their local fitting garage is very close to where I live. I noticed they now do a product called Black circle value choice without putting a brand, which they claim is a tyre selected by them to be excellent value but good quality. I read the customer reviews and there are plenty of satisfied customers and I'm sure its various Chinese brands they sell this way.

There is still a stigma attached to Chinese products.

In my case there wasn't much point as the Chinese variant was the same as Hankook Ventus, and the Pirellis I bought was only £16 more per each. But I'm sure in some cases the value proposition can be very attractive.

I was also surprised to see Chinese branded run flat tyres, which I'm sure owners of such cars in SL will delight about!

Did some more research. Read the thread again on tyre prices. There was a recommended place by a member "Neat Tyres and Alloy Wheels". The place was described as giving relatively cheap prices. I checked on Malay Street and they quoted 11.6k for a bridgestone Indonesian. Whereas Neat quoted 9950, which was the best price so far that I got for a bridgestone. Also for a Nang Kang the quote was 8k a tyre. Thought the price was not bad at all. How is Nang Kang? Any personal experiences? One of my friends is a real fan of Nang Kang tyres. He says that they are great and has never switched brands for the last 12 years.

Also a small question to "The Don". How are the maxxis you bought two years ago. Have they performed to your expectation with special emphasis on the wear and tear?

Also i would do a looking into tomorrow on the prices on Cheng Shin and the price difference with maxxis.

How are the maxxis you bought two years ago. Have they performed to your expectation with special emphasis on the wear and tear?

i've gotten 50k mileage out of Maxxis Bravo H/T's on Defender 110 so longevity is unlikely to be an issue

Can't say much for the grip & noise though