• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Manufacturing Year Issue

Spock

Question

Guys need your opinion on something.

I was able to find a car and the owner has advertised it as a 2008 model but when I checked the tag in the seat belt 2009 is mentioned as the manufacturing year. In the book manufacturing year is 2008. When I asked from the owner he said the car was manufactured towards the end of 2008 and hence they have put it as 2009. But when registering RMV has put it as 2008. (This is the second owner)

However I asked it from a car sale guy and a person who knows about RMV stuff, both of them said its a huge risk to buy the vehicle and RMV do not do such things and it cannot be a mistake also.

What do u guys think about this. Should I go ahead and buy the car or is there any risk.

Edited by Spock

14 answers to this question

Was the car imported new or used?

What is the model.

Take a copy of the CR to RMV car division and ask them to verify it. If it checks out and the numbers on the car matches the the ones on the car there is nothing to worry about. The part manufacturer might have used a newer label (as in parts for 2009 is normally delivered in advance, so could have been delivered in end of 2008, but used up in 2008 itself), or the part changed after manufacture under warranty or for other reasons.

Simple - someone has changed the seat belt.

There's a remote possibility that this is an accident damaged car. Seat belts have a device, which break on their own when the airbag comes out. This is to protect the occupant. I don't see any reason for replacing the seatbelt of a new car, unless the seatbelt retracting mechanism is broken.

• Like 1

Simple - someone has changed the seat belt.

There's a remote possibility that this is an accident damaged car. Seat belts have a device, which break on their own when the airbag comes out. This is to protect the occupant. I don't see any reason for replacing the seatbelt of a new car, unless the seatbelt retracting mechanism is broken.

Thats why I asked for the model Crosswind. There were some recalls involving seatbelt pre tensioners that happened around this period. But dates do overlap on some parts because the tag is not added in at assembly when the part is manufactured.

I've not heard of anything breaking during an accident, though they are usually replaced as a precaution after some.

Ya I also Crosswind's suggestion might be possible. Initially thought the vehicle might have been brought in parts and assembled in SL. But the vehicle looks to be in fabulous condition and I got a mechanic to check it and he said nothing of that sort has happened. And there are no visible accident marks at all. If there ever was an accident that damaged seat belts I dont think the vehicle could be in the condition it is in right now. :speechless-smiley-006:

Car was imported brand new and its a Lancer EX

Ya I also Crosswind's suggestion might be possible. Initially thought the vehicle might have been brought in parts and assembled in SL. But the vehicle looks to be in fabulous condition and I got a mechanic to check it and he said nothing of that sort has happened. And there are no visible accident marks at all. If there ever was an accident that damaged seat belts I dont think the vehicle could be in the condition it is in right now. :speechless-smiley-006:

I was able to find a car and the owner has advertised it as a 2008 model but when I checked the tag in the seat belt 2009 is mentioned as the manufacturing year. In the book manufacturing year is 2008. When I asked from the owner he said the car was manufactured towards the end of 2008 and hence they have put it as 2009. But when registering RMV has put it as 2008. (This is the second owner)

However I asked it from a car sale guy and a person who knows about RMV stuff, both of them said its a huge risk to buy the vehicle and RMV do not do such things and it cannot be a mistake also.

What do u guys think about this. Should I go ahead and buy the car or is there any risk.

what s the car

for some cars the manufacture put the coming year as the YOM, if it is manufactured in the latter half of the year

i ve seen few.

but better to check.

should be a genuine one

i ve seen few mitsubishi s with a similar scenario.

just call Unit#d Mot#rs and get it confirmed.

Check with Unimo if they have service records for the car and if the item in question was repaired. The thing is if you inspect the car, there will be signs of accident damage if it was enough to damage the pre tensioner requiring a seat belt change. You should put it on a hoist and inspect.

To be honest on a brand new car with service history, the likelyhood of this discrepency being caused by an illegal reason is very remote. Worthwhile checking things out as with any vehicle, but to me this does not sound suspicious.

Still Im hesitant to buy it with this issue. I had a car with book issues and it took a miracle to sell it. So Im super careful now. I am gonna check with UniMo and only if its checks out im gonna buy it. Otherwise I will have to keep searching I guess.

Prob is UniMo has refused to give out any details without the rightful owner of the car :(

If you can get hold of the chassis number of the car (from the car itself and not the book), then you can confirm the exact YOM. For Mitsubishis, generally the 9th or 10th digit of the chassis number indicates the YOM. Also, I don't think you can rule out the possibility of RMV making a mistake.

I haven't had problems with getting information from UniMo. If they still refuse to give you information, walk into a branch and explain yourself to a guy over there and try your luck.

Not sure if the Lancer EX offered in SL came with seatbelt pretensioners, but if it did, the manufacturer would replace them in two scenarios:

1. A defect with the seatbelt or pretensioner

2. An accident causing the pretensioner mechanism to engage (if this happens, it is likely that the airbags would have also been deployed)

Seatbelts without pretensioners do not require replacement for a car of this age (unless of course the belts were damaged).

check with this app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lk.icta.mobile.apps.dmt

There is a possibility , it might be a mistake made by RMV.

I have experienced such mistakes done by RMV in three times in my own CRs.

(1) Once, part of my name was absent in CR. (In 2005) :speechless-smiley-004:

(2) When I asked RMV to correct my name , revised CR came without printing class of vehicle (Motor Car). :speechless-smiley-004: :speechless-smiley-004:

(3) When I get existing car in 2011, "Engine Capacity: 1000cc" was not printed in my CR.(Ei yako mewa matama wenne ???) :speechless-smiley-004: :speechless-smiley-004: :speechless-smiley-004:

So I immediately rejected CR and asked Unimo to get it correct from RMV. After that my CR was corrected by RMV.

According to my experience, there is a possibility to mistakes appear on CR made by RMV.

We had a Liteace imported in 1991 and sold in 2011. At the selling point only we observed that two letter code is missing in engine number in CR issued in 1991.

But we had all old slips and inspection documents by RMV showing correct engine number. Printing mistake was done by RMV. So we requested with all proof documents and RMV corrected the CR after 20 years.

So this is my experience with lovely RMV.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 4