Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Importation of a car older than 3 years old


Virenmg
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking of importing a car from Japan which is probably made from 1990-2000 and I'm currently a SL citizen and haven't lived abroad.Is there any Permit that I have to get and If i do how much would that permit cost.Are there any taxes involved and how much would the tax be?

PS I cant get a gift permit cuz I dont have any relatives or friends abroad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think so @Virenmg

There was some permit available to import classic cars but you will be taxed on engine capacity if i'm not mistaken but i don't think this is still in place. There were a few cars that were brought down and registered legally a couple of years ago.

Anyhow aren't all vehicle imports suspended thanks to COVID-19?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Virenmg said:

I'm thinking of importing a car from Japan which is probably made from 1990-2000 and I'm currently a SL citizen and haven't lived abroad.Is there any Permit that I have to get and If i do how much would that permit cost.Are there any taxes involved and how much would the tax be?

PS I cant get a gift permit cuz I dont have any relatives or friends abroad.

Interesting: What are you looking to get?

If its something you are passionate about, there is a way to get cars down temporarily (initially for a 2 year period, that can be extended with certain constraints) using a 'Carnet permit / process' I believe?

You'll have to do some more digging (via the  Automobile Association of Ceylon or perhaps @Devinda_Z would know) to see if its still a viable process. 

Edited by Kavvz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found some carnet related links for you to follow up on:

1. http://www.gic.gov.lk/gic/index.php/en/component/info/?id=2277&task=info

2. http://iccsrilanka.com/ata-carnet/

#2 above seems to be the governing body with regards to getting carnets issued and they say its only for a period of 1 year...and don't list the process for extenstions, however I seem to recall it that it can be done: I'll let you follow up and update us on your research.

Edited by Kavvz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

Found some carnet related links for you to follow up on:

1. http://www.gic.gov.lk/gic/index.php/en/component/info/?id=2277&task=info

2. http://iccsrilanka.com/ata-carnet/

#2 above seems to be the governing body with regards to getting carnets issued and they say its only for a period of 1 year...and don't list the process for extenstions, however I seem to recall it that it can be done: I'll let you follow up and update us on your research.

Ah the Carnet play! Good one @Kavvz

Haven't seen one any time in the recent past though i'll confess

 

There was an old Range Rover Classic on the carnet - but again as you rightly mentioned it isn't the long term solution that @Virenmg is looking for though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The purpose of carnet is for people to travel by road to countries which don't have a relaxed travel policy between them. For example, someone from Europe to travel to India. It's like a tourist visa for a vehicle. Unfortunately Sri Lankans have abused this system in the recent past. As a result, getting a vehicle in to Sri Lanka through carnet is next to impossible. Besides if you are using carnet to do this, you are abusing the system yourself. 

There's one perfectly legal but a risky and expensive way to do this. If you are really keen on getting a specific car, ship it to SL anyway. Let the customs impound it and then buy it off the auction. There's nothing illegal about it but you will be competing in an auction with others. Auctions are visited by car baiyas who look for profitability more than anything else. If your car is not a "markat car", they won't be too interested. For example, if it's a Mitsubishi Galant, no car baiya will bother. But if it's a corolla, you got competition.

I know people who have done this because they were keen on a specific vehicle. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Crosswind said:

The purpose of carnet is for people to travel by road to countries which don't have a relaxed travel policy between them. For example, someone from Europe to travel to India. It's like a tourist visa for a vehicle. Unfortunately Sri Lankans have abused this system in the recent past. As a result, getting a vehicle in to Sri Lanka through carnet is next to impossible. Besides if you are using carnet to do this, you are abusing the system yourself. 

There's one perfectly legal but a risky and expensive way to do this. If you are really keen on getting a specific car, ship it to SL anyway. Let the customs impound it and then buy it off the auction. There's nothing illegal about it but you will be competing in an auction with others. Auctions are visited by car baiyas who look for profitability more than anything else. If your car is not a "markat car", they won't be too interested. For example, if it's a Mitsubishi Galant, no car baiya will bother. But if it's a corolla, you got competition.

I know people who have done this because they were keen on a specific vehicle. 

 A potentially expensive, but a decent approach to the problem (especially if you have vehicle tastes that fall outside of the mass market crowd): Good advice Crosswind! 

Edited by Kavvz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

lol ! Good one :D (I was actually thinking more on the lines of a Citroen DS, but this will do! I'll be the toast of the 3-wheel park, AND it matches my red speedos...Utter Perfection! )

??

All them Bajaj, TVS & Piaggio peeps be jealous. Imagine the conversations about Thel weda, pickup and 2nd market. So much fun. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Interesting: What are you looking to get?

If its something you are passionate about, there is a way to get cars down temporarily (initially for a 2 year period, that can be extended with certain constraints) using a 'Carnet permit / process' I believe?

You'll have to do some more digging (via the  Automobile Association of Ceylon or perhaps @Devinda_Z would know) to see if its still a viable process. 

I have two vehicles on my mind 

•Toyota Supra Mk4 RZ

•Rover PB5

They are such beauties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Found some carnet related links for you to follow up on:

1. http://www.gic.gov.lk/gic/index.php/en/component/info/?id=2277&task=info

2. http://iccsrilanka.com/ata-carnet/

#2 above seems to be the governing body with regards to getting carnets issued and they say its only for a period of 1 year...and don't list the process for extenstions, however I seem to recall it that it can be done: I'll let you follow up and update us on your research.

I know researched about the carnet but I'm kind of looking for a permanent option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Crosswind said:

The purpose of carnet is for people to travel by road to countries which don't have a relaxed travel policy between them. For example, someone from Europe to travel to India. It's like a tourist visa for a vehicle. Unfortunately Sri Lankans have abused this system in the recent past. As a result, getting a vehicle in to Sri Lanka through carnet is next to impossible. Besides if you are using carnet to do this, you are abusing the system yourself. 

There's one perfectly legal but a risky and expensive way to do this. If you are really keen on getting a specific car, ship it to SL anyway. Let the customs impound it and then buy it off the auction. There's nothing illegal about it but you will be competing in an auction with others. Auctions are visited by car baiyas who look for profitability more than anything else. If your car is not a "markat car", they won't be too interested. For example, if it's a Mitsubishi Galant, no car baiya will bother. But if it's a corolla, you got competition.

I know people who have done this because they were keen on a specific vehicle. 

That is a risky way, and you can get the car impounded for a couple of years which is very bad.

And I think a MK4 Supra RZ is a very desirable car.

But I dont think a lot would try to buy the Rover P5B cuz the buyers are only looking for Corollas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Virenmg said:

These are the cars

photos_rover_p5_1967_1_b.jpg

 

The Supra isn't my cup of tea...But my, my what is this beauty? A Rover?

 

edit: Oh wait, you've mentioned what it is above: A Rover P5B. Ok. I'm off to google it up...It looks beautiful. I'm hoping it comes with a straight 6 under the hood! :D 

Edited by Kavvz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sadly no straight 6 on the P5B, it came with a V8 instead,  but its a beautiful car! I hope you get your hands on one @Virenmg

(Am also tickled-pink that it was available as a 4-door coupe. So Mecercedes can stop with the whole "We created the 4-door coupe segment with the CLS" nonsense I suppose! Rover had them beat by around 50 years! :D

Meanwhile there maybe some of them here already given how lovely it looks and its history (seems like it was popular amongst the well-to-do back in the day, which means there's a good probablilty some got imported to Sri Lanka / Ceylon).

Too bad @MasterDon isn't around. I bet he'd know if there were any here...

Edited by Kavvz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Virenmg said:

That is a risky way, and you can get the car impounded for a couple of years which is very bad.

 

What are we looking at here? Flat spots/rotten tyres, dead battery, bad/expired oil & other fluids, lots of dust, some rust, bad fuel rails, salty smell on the car? 

Also, imagine the scenario will you. You import the car, knowing it's gonna get seized, you just walk into the office with a smile, the officers there expecting some sort of a quarrel only to see that you are there, all jolly and grinning despite hearing the fact your car has been seized. You go "that's okay sir/madam, have a good day" smile and just leave. ?

Edited by AVANTE
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AVANTE said:

What are we looking at here? Flat spots/rotten tyres, dead battery, bad/expired oil & other fluids, lots of dust, some rust, bad fuel rails, salty smell on the car? 

Also, imagine the scenario will you. You import the car, knowing it's gonna get seized, you just walk into the office with a smile, the officers there expecting some sort of a quarrel only to see that you are there, all jolly and grinning despite hearing the fact your car has been seized. You go "that's okay sir/madam, have a good day" smile and just leave. ?

Yeah but how will I know the day when the car goes on auction?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Sadly no straight 6 on the P5B, it came with a V8 instead,  but its a beautiful car! I hope you get your hands on one @Virenmg

(Am also tickled-pink that it was available as a 4-door coupe. So Mecercedes can stop with the whole "We created the 4-door coupe segment with the CLS" nonsense I suppose! Rover had them beat by around 50 years! :D

Meanwhile there maybe some of them here already given how lovely it looks and its history (seems like it was popular amongst the well-to-do back in the day, which means there's a good probablilty some got imported to Sri Lanka / Ceylon).

Too bad @MasterDon isn't around. I bet he'd know if there were any here...

The rover P5B is so beautiful. It was a very popular car in Britain so there maybe a few on the island.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Virenmg said:

Yeah but how will I know the day when the car goes on auction?

You will have to check the auction tenders every month and spot that GF-JZA80 in a sea of AE100/110 and X- Minis, having someone you personally know who works in the customs/port helps too. 

Basically three rules apply and work against you here:

'You snooze, you lose' 

'Finders keepers'

'sold to the highest bidder' 

Edited by AVANTE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AVANTE said:

You will have to check the auction tenders every month and spot that GF-JZA80 in a sea of AE100/110 and X- Minis, having someone you personally know who works in the customs/port helps too. 

Basically three rules apply and work against you here:

'You snooze, you lose' 

'Finders keepers'

'sold to the highest bidder' 

What if I make friends with one of the directors or an executive officer at the customs/port authority can I release the car without it ever making to the auction?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Virenmg said:

What if I make friends with one of the directors or an executive officer at the customs/port authority can I release the car without it ever making to the auction?

 

Screenshot_20200419_131352.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the past there was an option to go to the Ministry of Finance and Customs Department...get special approval and bring it down; hitch was they tax you based on CC and you end up paying the same amount of duty as a brand new car. So unless it was a really really rare car..it really was not worth it (think of paying the same price for a M4 Supra as a brand new one). Then they changed it where you can get a permit for a classic car but you need to get the green light from the CCCSL stating that what you are bringing down categorizes as a classic car. Not sure if any of these are still an option. Call p the customs department and ask..they are quite good at giving info.

Carnet is exactly as what Crosswinds described. In the past..when someone brings the car through carnet...the local authorities gave the option of disposing the car locally, provided that the applicable taxes be paid (this was a time where they still had the depreciation table and taxes were X% of the depreciated value). Our car salesmen totaly and utterly abused it and brought down everythign from old Japanese econo boxes to old SUVs. The authorities wised up to it and then took away the option to dispose the vehicle locally...but the locals still found ways to get over it by swapping books and such...and then the authorities prety much clamped down on carnet permits and even if you got it..it was for 6 months and needed to be renewed every 6 months up to 1.5 years or something.

Most of the car sales and brokers will be looking for Corollas and Sunnies at port auctions. However, there are a few enthusiasts who always go looking for rare gems. So if you do get down the Supra or the Rover..you will have some competiton from local enthusiasts (the plus side is..most of these guys are amazing people..so you would get to ride it once in a while :D)

May I ask you WHY you like the Supra ? Is it for the fandome ? or is there a specific reason ? There are plenty of other legal options to get a fun and interesting car (even get a 2JZ-GTE engine in some cars) since you seem to be okay with spending for it.

Edited by iRage
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iRage said:

In the past there was an option to go to the Ministry of Finance and Customs Department...get special approval and bring it down. Hitch is they tax you based on CC and you end up paying the same amount of duty as a brand new car. So unless it is a really really rare car..it really was not worth it (think of paying the same price for a M4 Supra as a brand new one). Then they changed it where you can get a permit for a classic car but you need ot get the green light from the CCCSL stating that what you are bringing down categorizes as a classic car. Not sure if any of these are still an option. Call p the customs department and ask..they are quite good at giving info.

Carnet is exactly as what Crosswinds described. In the past..when someone brings the car through carnet...the local authorities ave the option of disposing the car locally provided that the applicable taxes be paid (this was a time where they still had the depreciation table and taxes were X% of the depreciated value). Our car salesmen totaly and utterly abused it and brought down everythign from old Japanese econo boxes to old SUVs. THe aithorities wised up to it and then took away the option to dispose the vehicle locally..but the locals stil found ways to get over it by swapping books and such...and then the authorities prety much clamped down on carnet permits and even if you got it..it was for 6 months and needed to be renewed every 6 months up to 1.5 years or something.

Most of the car sales and brokers will be looking for Corollas and Sunnies. However, there are a few enthusiasts who always go looking for rare gems. So if you do get down the Supra or the Rover..you will have some comeptiton from local enthusiasts (the plus side is..most of these guys are amazing people..so you would get to ride it once ina while :D)

Ma I ask you WHY you like the Supra ? Is it for the fandome ? or is there a specific reason ? There are plenty of other legal options to get a fun and interesting car (even get a 2JZ-GTE engine in some cars) since you seem to be okay with spending for it.

Best Answer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Virenmg said:

What if I make friends with one of the directors or an executive officer at the customs/port authority can I release the car without it ever making to the auction?

I know an old relative of a friend of mine did that for a prado he was eyeing ? But you need friends in very high places.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


AutoLanka Cars For Sale

Post Your Ad Free [Click Here]



×
×
  • Create New...