Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

  • 0

Help me choose a car...


Jason Bourne
 Share

Question

Gents, I'm planning to buy a car for personal use... 

So the requirements (in order of importance) would be -

 

Budget : 4.0 - 4.5 million

Year : 2012-2013 or newer

Engine capacity should exceed 1450CC

Should be a Sedan / Crossover

Ease of maintenance. Procuring spare parts and competent workshops should be rather easy

Fuel economy

Resale value

 

Going by these requirements I'm guessing my best option would be a Toyota. I won't be able to visit Colombo every time I'll be needing spare parts...

I have shortlisted Allion 260 (2011-2012) and Axio 161 (Non-hybrid) 2013-2014. Please mention if there are any other brands and models you know that would suit my requirements...

 

Your recommendations, suggestions, opinions, any kind of insight is deeply appreciated. 

 

Edited by Jason Bourne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
7 hours ago, Jason Bourne said:

Gents, I'm planning to buy a car for personal use... 

So the requirements (in order of importance) would be -

 

Budget : 4.0 - 4.5 million

Year : 2012-2013 or newer

Engine capacity should exceed 1450CC

Should be a Sedan / Crossover

Ease of maintenance. Procuring spare parts and competent workshops should be rather easy

Fuel economy

Resale value

 

Going by these requirements I'm guessing my best option would be a Toyota. I won't be able to visit Colombo every time I'll be needing spare parts...

I have shortlisted Allion 260 (2011-2012) and Axio 161 (Non-hybrid) 2013-2014. Please mention if there are any other brands and models you know that would suit my requirements...

 

Your recommendations, suggestions, opinions, any kind of insight is deeply appreciated. 

 

The desire to troll this post is so strong, it takes all my will-power to resist! :D

And at the risk of getting a warning I'm going to suggest: How about a 20,013 20,014  Hoda vesi 2013-2014 Honda Vezel ? Its a decant enough car (for outstation use- I can see from your post you're not from Colombo) and since everyone is pretty much over them now, I guess you can bargain it down quite agressively...

Edited by Kavvz
Sorry Mods: Mr. Hyde made me do it...but really, the Honda Vezel IS a good fit for this senario...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
36 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

The desire to troll this post is so strong, it takes all my will-power to resist! :D

And at the risk of getting a warning I'm going to suggest: How about a 20,013 20,014  Hoda vesi 2013-2014 Honda Vezel ? Its a decant enough car (for outstation use- I can see from your post you're not from Colombo) and since everyone is pretty much over them now, I guess you can bargain it down quite agressively...

I did not mention a Vezel because he is out of Colombo and the vehicle's Hybrid system and/or DCT might need attention. To be honest I believe his mind is made up on an Allion/Premio or Axio. Once they get bitten by the APA bug they do not go back (and even on the forums they really have not). However, with the advice they get they might end up buying a decent example of one though.

The Axio is a step down from the Allion/Premio as it is a smaller car and uses the Vitz/Belta/Yaris platform..and does not have a softer ride as the Allion/Premio (but not too bad). However, most Axio buyers went for the Hybrid variant and those willing to go for gasoline sedans went for the Premio/Allion. So on one hand its a bit hard to find a petrol Axio because not many are around. But if you do find one..you might get it a better deal and maybe even in better shape than the average Allion/Premio

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
30 minutes ago, iRage said:

Once they get bitten by the APA bug they do not go back (and even on the forums they really have not)....

True! :D

30 minutes ago, iRage said:

However, with the advice they get they might end up buying a decent example of one though.

One can hope...But overall, getting an Allion/Premio isn't a bad choice as long as you can get it at a decent price plus the general anonymity it offers isn't really a bad thing...

Edited by Kavvz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
10 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

True! :D

One can hope...But overall, getting an Allion/Premio isn't a bad choice as long as you can get it at a decent price plus the general anonymity it offers isn't really a bad thing...

True...they are good A to B cars...the problem is finding an honest car.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

If you think of buying Allion/Premio/Axio look for a first owner car with agent maintenance probably a permit imported one. Only looks for a car that is in possession with an actual owner not a sale bayya with open papers. Pay your attention to the maintenance history and overall condition of the car other than options and shiny bits. Once you find a good specimen there's nothing much to go wrong as they are relatively simple cars mechanically apart from the CVT transmission.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
11 hours ago, Jason Bourne said:

have shortlisted Allion 260 (2011-2012) and Axio 161 (Non-hybrid) 2013-2014.

There were a lot of Axio 161's for sale around 2018 when the 2013 permit bunch got their new permits - nowadays they're hard to find despite being a class below the Allion it is easier to find an unmolested Axio - usually used by one owner. As for the Allions/Premios it is really really difficult to find a properly maintained specimen that is not on open papers or has a dodgy back-story ( you know the car is being sold by a dude in Kohuwala yet the last registered owner is from Monaragala who according to the seller is his brothers father in laws grand uncle, the maintenance records of the car are sadly in Monaragala and the mileage after 12 years is still 69,000 km)  

 

1 hour ago, hrm said:

apart from the CVT transmission

and the AC compressor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, matroska said:

and the AC compressor. 

Ah yes the dreaded AC compressor. Have replaced 2 on a 2012 one I had and changed 2 on my dad's 2013. Good car apart from that although the gearbox is a bit lazy.

Edited by kadsa98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 hours ago, matroska said:

and the AC compressor. 

Yeah. Looks like even 161s has this problem. This is the only unreliable thing I find there, still not a complicated one to solve but no permanent solution either if 121 swap is not done.

Edited by hrm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
10 hours ago, iRage said:

True...they are good A to B cars...the problem is finding an honest car.

Plenty around if you really look around. Average car would have done 60-100K if you are looking at 2012-2013

I knew of few imported on permits in 2013 which were grabbed on personal sales and few hours after advertising.

Combination of economy/ comfort/ reliability and resale has never been matched by any other car. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

AutoLanka Cars For Sale

Post Your Ad Free [Click Here]



×
×
  • Create New...