Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Recommended Posts

Do we have a thread for Euro car news ?

Spy shots of a mysterious Volvo

These spy shot were taken a few days ago in Sweden. The thing is an exact look a like of the P1800. No one seems to know for certain what it is as Volvo had not officially announced anything of the sort (even if they did why the heck would it be a replica of the P1800 ?).

Assumption is that it is a special one-off model Volvo will be releasing to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the P1800. As you can see the front-end is slightly different and it has a wider stance. Apparently the car is owned by Cyan Racing (tuner shop for Volvo/Geely)....so hmm...

https://www.motor1.com/news/435966/volvo-p1800-prototype-spied/

1546404.jpg1546401.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iRage said:

Do we have a thread for Euro car news ?

Spy shots of a mysterious Volvo

These spy shot were taken a few days ago in Sweden. The thing is an exact look a like of the P1800. No one seems to know for certain what it is as Volvo had not officially announced anything of the sort (even if they did why the heck would it be a replica of the P1800 ?).

Assumption is that it is a special one-off model Volvo will be releasing to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the P1800. As you can see the front-end is slightly different and it has a wider stance. Apparently the car is owned by Cyan Racing (tuner shop for Volvo/Geely)....so hmm...

https://www.motor1.com/news/435966/volvo-p1800-prototype-spied/

1546404.jpg1546401.jpg

 

1. Wow. Pretty cool news. The P1800 was an icon so it makes sense celebrate it with a "retro" throwback, especially after Geely's take over. 

2. Why is that cladding so ineffective? It's almost as if they wanted to create a buzz by having people recognize the car's shape? 

Edited by Kavvz
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kavvz said:

2. Why is that cladding so ineffective? It's almost as if they wanted to create a buzz by having people recognize the car's shape? 

No idea....some manufacturers do put padding on the curves to hide the shapes. In the case of the GR Yaris; Toyota stuck an old Vitz/Yaris body on. I suppose it works for the average joe but not the car enthusiasts...so in a way...it doesn't give out much to the general public but gives enough for the enthusiasts to create a bit of a buzz.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kavvz said:

I really like what the Ineos Grenadier is shaping up to be....Excited to see where this ends up!

I wonder if it will be any safer than the old Defender...I also wonder if our guys will bring this down and start fixing Defender front ends to it :)

GRENADIER-MAIN_i.jpg

Edited by iRage
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, iRage said:

I wonder if it will any safer than the old Defender...

Has to be I think?  I believe that was one of the reasons Tata / LR decided to discontinue the Defender as it wouldn't pass safety in some countries (The States primarily I believe? Not sure..)

Edited by Kavvz
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Has to be I think?  I believe that was one of the reasons Tata / LR decided to discontinue the Defender as it wouldn't pass safety in some countries (The States primarily I believe? Not sure..)

Yes....but half the reason was that the design was not safe for pedestrians safety standards as well. By the shape of the car it is obvious that has not changed....Also...I believe there are loop holes that small scale producers (like kit car shops) can get through to circumvent some of these regulations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iRage said:

Yes....but half the reason was that the design was not safe for pedestrians safety standards as well. By the shape of the car it is obvious that has not changed....Also...I believe there are loop holes that small scale producers (like kit car shops) can get through to circumvent some of these regulations.

Ah! I see! Cool. Well I'm glad that they can make it work...And Ineos seems dead set on designing the Grenadier to be much better than the Defender its replacing.

@Devinda_Z Your thoughts? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 11:31 AM, iRage said:

1546401.jpg

 

According to updates from the photographer who took the pics of the strange prototype...it actually is a gasoline car (despite the magazines claiming it to be EV). Apparently there was an exhaust pipe in the center which just is not clearly visible in the pictures.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also news that Volkswagen has submitted applications to trademark a whole host of their classic names with the "e" prefix (i.e. eBeetle, eGolf, etc...). It is believed that Volkswagen themselves might not build the electric versions of their old classics but commission eClassics to retro-restore them on a per-order basis. Again..this is just speculation based on the fact that eClassic already does an eBeetle which has been backed by VW themselves.

eClassics VW BeetleeClassics VW Beetle

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

New Range Rover mules out and about seem to be coming more frequent now (including more side by side comparisons with the competition...this time a MB-Maybach GLS). It would be interesting to see if they are able to stick to the 2021 release date after indicating that they have been having a 47% (and ever increasing) sales slump over the last few months thanks to COVID. I am sure that is having some serious financial strain on the company.

Range Rover prototype Nurburgring sideRange Rover prototype Nurburgring rear sideNew Range Rover spyshot frontNew Range Rover spyshot benchmark Mercedes

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iRage said:

New Range Rover mules out and about seem to be coming more frequent now (including more side by side comparisons with the competition...this time a MB-Maybach GLS). It would be interesting to see if they are able to stick to the 2021 release date after indicating that they have been having a 47% (and ever increasing) sales slump over the last few months thanks to COVID. I am sure that is having some serious financial strain on the company.

Range Rover prototype Nurburgring sideRange Rover prototype Nurburgring rear sideNew Range Rover spyshot frontNew Range Rover spyshot benchmark Mercedes

Is it just a facelift? The current model was on sale since 2013 right?

SL seems to have picked up the RR fever big time. Not too many years ago we only had a handful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fiat fan said:

Is it just a facelift? The current model was on sale since 2013 right?

SL seems to have picked up the RR fever big time. Not too many years ago we only had a handful.

Supposed to be a new model. Yes..the new one has been around since 2012/2013...when they call it a new model it very well could be an update to the existing platform rather than being a complete redesign.

Yes..we do have gotten on to the RR craze...most of it thanks to the tax paying public I would say :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 2:27 AM, iRage said:

There is also news that Volkswagen has submitted applications to trademark a whole host of their classic names with the "e" prefix (i.e. eBeetle, eGolf, etc...). It is believed that Volkswagen themselves might not build the electric versions of their old classics but commission eClassics to retro-restore them on a per-order basis. Again..this is just speculation based on the fact that eClassic already does an eBeetle which has been backed by VW themselves.

eClassics VW BeetleeClassics VW Beetle

What?! Dead cool! What's that bottle on the side for: Coolant / cooling system for the battery? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

VW ID.4 : Volswagen's first EV crossover. It looks cute...supposed to have a 77kWh battery with a 200hp rear mount motor. Cruising range on a standard charge is supposed to be about 520km and about 300 something on a quick charge. 0-100 in 8.5sec

E8AMlYWU4zGKe4isosZ0gb2D0DgzZwi7cGz3rEpAawYMRJ24oEftgAQOVyR2v4NWavoiXUYz8y2jguZQPVrMXz65sf5P0RpdJVfE5fXXy48LIj11ShfpXEJ5IIHO0O-L4399Hqvbo2iHdc4yBV5ZMxSh0mmqcIkzbARt-bOz7711JV6aHD7SSrf2JnddBSHsRLAHup3Rew917yqhtorNMg==E8AMlYWU4zGKe4isosZ0gb2D0DgzZwi7cGz3rEpAawYMRJ24oEftgAQOVyR2v4NWavoiXUYz8y2jguZQPVrMXz65sf5P0RpdJVfE5fXXy4-Y9df2xvcaenfRnkEiIuXduhJ3ooSPAA6el4EN8uxVTZhZl8OTxob1eBduY_1yNebTDTGlH8e4vWvIQdBH1ED25kX5pNbKNSTSI2Fur4wmIA==E8AMlYWU4zGKe4isosZ0gb2D0DgzZwi7cGz3rEpAawYMRJ24oEftgAQOVyR2v4NWavoiXUYz8y2jguZQPVrMXz65sf5P0RpdJVfE5fXXy48ibt4th3qQRcCEFUr0FnDoIQiyfU_pNiaOM4UTB_LyJdmvRi_gYN7LZVqGHC-Y9u-HL2utL8VXRIJYL-nJeIPFsD7HQ2H70lJ7zbPLCcB--g==E8AMlYWU4zGKe4isosZ0gb2D0DgzZwi7cGz3rEpAawYMRJ24oEftgAQOVyR2v4NWavoiXUYz8y2jguZQPVrMXz65sf5P0RpdJVfE5fXXy4-NaZvkZt72s_LE_om8EQRiLcoakVsDvgr2jabHDFgfTI1tmgbQMG2gLn4WGFqs6fbTZ4Ke0Epkehw5UAIaVWSeGOkQ_8aH_UJrfMSpTEwZkw==

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The new Ghost does look nicer in an undescribebably way that the previous model...apparently the only thing that was carried over from the previous model is the Spirit of Ecstacy and the Umbrella :). Everything else has been reengineered/redesigned. Interesting how they have kept the interior modern yet look old fashioned without making it look gaudy (sorry..but I just hate the MB dashboards now...they look somewhat gaudy in quite a few models with blingy silver bezels that look plasticy and stuff). The new one is supposed to be a lot quieter than the previous model. In fact, th Japanese article talks about the designers actually making it so quiet that it was strange that they reduced the sound proofing to give the cabin a bit more noise (read in some magazine that if the body does not get certain stimulation of he senses when doing certain things it gets rather confussed..like food and smell when eating and movement apparently requires a sense of sound and light....thus if cars and planes were completely quiet our bodies will get confused.)

Rolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce GhostRolls-Royce Ghost

 

Edited by iRage
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 10/5/2020 at 10:04 PM, iRage said:

On the topic of finding things common...any guesses as to what the ONLY thing the Bentley Mulliner Bacalar and the Continental GT has ?

 

I guessed the ' Bentley badges' but when I googled: It was- Only the door handles! So even the badges are different? lol.:D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kavvz said:

I guessed the ' Bentley badges' but when I googled: It was- Only the door handles! So even the badges are different? lol.:D 

Yupp...only the door handles...the badges I believe are slightly different in size :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...