• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

BMW 320D vs Audi A4 (2000-2004)

prageeth89

Hello guys,

First of all I have read the existing threads and I'm posting this because those threads are few years old and the cars have gotten old too. Lol.

I'm thinking about buying an European car and my budget is about 3.5 mil. 320D and Audi A4 are my main two contestants :D. I like manual gearboxes and diesel engines. Please don't argue with me, it's just a personal preference.lol.

These cars have gotten at least 15 years old. Please help me with your views on these two cars. And any common issues I have to look for after this many years.

P.S. Only interested in 320D facelift with the common rail engine. And I'm open for any A4 models.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by prageeth89

well honestly is u interested in diesel engines its most fun if u go to the bmw dont u think?and 187bhp ,a 6speed manual is more than enough to have fun. a4 weighs more than 320d.but if u want something a bit technical where computers do most of the work its best u buy the A4

2000 to 2001 Audi A4 is the B5. Stay far away unless you really want one. I’m on my second. Very troublesome, known fact around the world. Only reason to buy is if you get it for dead cheap or have a special/sentimental value. I am on my 2nd because I love it for the youth I had with it.

2002 onwards is the B6. Much improved in style and interior. Dash/seats is much better. But the prices mentioned make it a bad buy.

I would say so go a Beemer with the money. You are looking at an E46 facelift. Fun cars. Packed to the brim with tech to shame even some newer base euros. Not cheap to work. But plenty of people and parts available if needed.

The diesel gives you an economy figure that makes the hibrides and cehR and 1L milk cartons a run for the money. (Had a 99 pre facelift. 65-,  brand new purchased from agents. Gave 12 plus on city. Gave 11 when we sold it in 2010. Traffic has got much worse now. So take that into mind). Kandy runs gave me 18 plus, I shit you not. Go look around and confirm yourself.

They had few inherent issues and niggles at times. Fb has an active beemer group. Lots of info out there.

I’m a die hard Audi guy, but in this case, BMW FTW!

Edited by fiat fan
Added info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fiat fan said:

2000 to 2001 Audi A4 is the B5. Stay far away unless you really want one.

Don't the B5-2000 facelift and B6-2002+ full model change have same 1.9 TDi AjM engine?

This design has pump injectors driven by the CAM, without a seperate common rail or high pressure pump.

VW,Audi didnt change to common rail until 2008 or so AFAIK.. Even 2008ish cars have pump injector system.

Edited by ajm

22 minutes ago, ajm said:

Don't the B5-2000 facelift and B6-2002+ full model change have same 1.9 TDi AjM engine?

This design has pump injectors driven by the CAM, without a seperate common rail or high pressure pump.

VW,Audi didnt change to common rail until 2008 or so AFAIK.. Even 2008ish cars have pump injector system.

Far as I know. Yes its the same. Most engines were shared. Engines are usually solid. Everything else is not. Crazy overpriced right now.

12 hours ago, ajm said:

If that's the case we had a VW with this diesel engine in it.

The thing was solid. Super great on fuel and was cheap to run (just regular maintenance on the engine) in our case. The timing belt change was expensive though, so check if the car you are buying has had that done or budget for it.

Only draw back: It was noisy. Sounded like a Landmaster as it chugged up our driveway. 

1 hour ago, prageeth89 said:

But I didn't know cam driven injectors were that bad.

They had the highest injection pressures(2000+ bar) at a time, and was even higher than initial common rail systems. That explains the crazy good fuel economy, why it was used in VW delivery vans etc. The system has fewer parts than common rail. However the injector is very complicated and there is a spring-locking mechanism which can break due to vibration . But this has no impact on functionality.  Another issue is camshaft wear due to heavy mechanical load needed to drive injectors. So routine oil and filter changes are must. The thing has no DPF Catalyst and runs on regular diesel without any issue. In Europe the  VW van fleets use a mix of biodiesel, kerosene and used engine oil although it must be highly illegal.

Edited by ajm