• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Illegal mods in Sri Lanka?

Jason Diaz

Hi folks! I'm new to Auto Lanka forum. I'm thinking of building a Toyota GT 86 specifically for drifting. I'll leave a list of parts I've chosen for my build. Are any of these parts/mods illegal in Sri Lanka? 🙄 I'm not gonna modify the stock Subaru boxer engine. Instead I'll swap the stock engine with a 2JZ-GTE. 

1. OZ wheels

2. Bilstein Suspension kit

3. Rocket Bunny wide bodykit

4. Rocket Bunny spoilers

5. Garret or Rocket Bunny Twin Turbos

6. Neon lights (underglow, trunk) 

7. Borla exhaust system

8. Dual clutch transmission

9. Continental tires

10. Haltech ECU

11. 500W Alpine audio system

Is it possible to do this in Sri Lanka? 

Edited by Jason Diaz

49 minutes ago, Jason Diaz said:

Hi folks! I'm new to Auto Lanka forum. I'm thinking of building a Toyota GT 86 specifically for drifting. I'll leave a list of parts I've chosen for my build. Are any of these parts/mods illegal in Sri Lanka? 🙄 I'm not gonna modify the stock Subaru boxer engine. Instead I'll swap the stock engine with a 2JZ-GTE. 

1. OZ wheels

2. Bilstein Suspension kit

3. Rocket Bunny wide bodykit

4. Rocket Bunny spoilers

5. Garret or Rocket Bunny Twin Turbos

6. Neon lights (underglow, trunk) 

7. Borla exhaust system

8. Dual clutch transmission

9. Continental tires

10. Haltech ECU

11. 500W Alpine audio system

Is it possible to do this in Sri Lanka? 

Drifting in Sri Lanka? Where do you want to take it to drift?

As far as the legality is concerned anything that you do to the vehicle to change from stock you need to get prior approval from the RMV. If your registration certificate says a certain parameter that has to be adhered to. As for the engine you will need to get it registered with the said engine if not you may not be able to do your annual eco testing.

A lot people do cosmetic modifications, they went under the radar but if you are caught by Police they can take you to task. Recently there were some changes to the law, with one of old members who took the initiative but not sure how it applies now.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

Drifting in Sri Lanka? Where do you want to take it to drift?

As far as the legality is concerned anything that you do to the vehicle to change from stock you need to get prior approval from the RMV. If your registration certificate says a certain parameter that has to be adhered to. As for the engine you will need to get it registered with the said engine if not you may not be able to do your annual eco testing.

A lot people do cosmetic modifications, they went under the radar but if you are caught by Police they can take you to task. Recently there were some changes to the law, with one of old members who took the initiative but not sure how it applies now.

I live in Kandy. Small village, no big deal. But the roads here are just made for drifting. Here everyone else see bends but I see a drift track. I will somehow build my 2JZ-GTE 86. 😊

21 minutes ago, Jason Diaz said:

I live in Kandy. Small village, no big deal. But the roads here are just made for drifting. Here everyone else see bends but I see a drift track. I will somehow build my 2JZ-GTE 86. 😊

Public properties are not drift tracks. This vision can end with one’s life. :sad-smiley-050:

• Haha 1

As Gummy mentioned...you need to get approval from RMV prior to changing the original design/sturcture of the car.

1. 2JZ engine....Not possible legally. You can only go up by 500ccc from your original engine. 4U engine is 2L. 2JZ is 3L...well above your 500cc limit. You will have to go for a 1JZ. Then you will barely make it. Not sure if you have done any technical look in to it..but putting a 2JZ in the GT86 is not the easiest of tasks. Requires a whole lot of mods and fabrications. Kits are there which are pricey but even without it its going ot be pricey. 

2. Suspension kit : Does not need approval as long as it is a stock replacement (or be able for the car to be seen at stock stance). You mess around with camber and stance then cops can pull you over.

3. Body kits/spoilers....If it is not a stock body kit or if it is not a kit that keeps the vehicle within the vehicles original dimensions then it is a no. Again...kids get away with cosmetic mods and sometimes the cops have a party with them. Something like a Rocket Bunny kit is going to attract too much attension.

4. Neon lights...as long as its not turned on when travelling it is okay

5. Exhaust. No...there are no proper legal limits so cops catch you depending on their hearing ability.

6. Sound system, tires, etc....go to christmas with it....RMV does not care.

That brings me to the transmission....I do not know you and I am sure you can be a nice guy...but some of your responses to the others sort of confirmed what my gut instinct about you was the minute I saw the neon lights and the DSG transmission. 
Actual drifters and drift enthusiasts would have far better laid out plans than what you have up there. You want to drift..with a 2JZ-GTE but you want an automatic transmission ? This together with the neon lights sound like you took the list out of the script of Fast and Furios (the first one). The car seems to be focussed more towards show than function.
As for drifters....yes in Japan they do go drifting on public roads (touge runs still happen in many parts of Japan). But they do it with a strict code of conduct. Always a lead car ahead to warn of on coming traffic...always looking out...always giving way to normal traffic. They definitely do not say "b**ls**t" to public roads not being drift courses. 

Edited by iRage
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

2JZ engine....Not possible legally. You can only go up by 500ccc

as iRage mentions - legally this is not possible. 

one more detail is that if you do intend to do an engine swap (within the 500 cc limit)  and actually want to register it legally and get the CR Updated through RMV - you need to take the vehicle for inspection in stock condition - which means even the wheels have to be stock. 

P.S : As automotive enthusiasts we understand the urge to drift and have a blast with the car - but road safety is no joke. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

As Gummy mentioned...you need to get approval from RMV prior to changing the original design/sturcture of the car.

1. 2JZ engine....Not possible legally. You can only go up by 500ccc from your original engine. 4U engine is 2L. 2JZ is 3L...well above your 500cc limit. You will have to go for a 1JZ. Then you will barely make it. Not sure if you have done any technical look in to it..but putting a 2JZ in the GT86 is not the easiest of tasks. Requires a whole lot of mods and fabrications. Kits are there which are pricey but even without it its going ot be pricey. 

2. Suspension kit : Does not need approval as long as it is a stock replacement (or be able for the car to be seen at stock stance). You mess around with camber and stance then cops can pull you over.

3. Body kits/spoilers....If it is not a stock body kit or if it is not a kit that keeps the vehicle within the vehicles original dimensions then it is a no. Again...kids get away with cosmetic mods and sometimes the cops have a party with them. Something like a Rocket Bunny kit is going to attract too much attension.

4. Neon lights...as long as its not turned on when travelling it is okay

5. Exhaust. No...there are no proper legal limits so cops catch you depending on their hearing ability.

6. Sound system, tires, etc....go to christmas with it....RMV does not care.

That brings me to the transmission....I do not know you and I am sure you can be a nice guy...but some of your responses to the others sort of confirmed what my gut instinct about you was the minute I saw the neon lights and the DSG transmission. 
Actual drifters and drift enthusiasts would have far better laid out plans than what you have up there. You want to drift..with a 2JZ-GTE but you want an automatic transmission ? This together with the neon lights sound like you took the list out of the script of Fast and Furios (the first one). The car seems to be focussed more towards show than function.
As for drifters....yes in Japan they do go drifting on public roads (touge runs still happen in many parts of Japan). But they do it with a strict code of conduct. Always a lead car ahead to warn of on coming traffic...always looking out...always giving way to normal traffic. They definitely do not say "b**ls**t" to public roads not being drift courses. 

Sorry, not dual clutch. I want something like Andrews. (Not the one in NASCAR) I'm all manual. And I don't care if it's public or a race track. F&F is a nice series. I'm an amateur. I agree, yeah. But I've been working hard making money to accomplish my goal since 2017. And no, I ain't giving up on building a GT 86. One thing, your instincts are broken. Fix it. 😏

13 minutes ago, matroska said:

as iRage mentions - legally this is not possible. 

one more detail is that if you do intend to do an engine swap (within the 500 cc limit)  and actually want to register it legally and get the CR Updated through RMV - you need to take the vehicle for inspection in stock condition - which means even the wheels have to be stock. 

P.S : As automotive enthusiasts we understand the urge to drift and have a blast with the car - but road safety is no joke. 

I was just kidding above. I'm safe,even without the seatbelt. Thanks! 

All right guys... Looks like I'm gonna go somewhere away from this country. Because it seems like it's impossible to modify "my own car" even after paying like "200% taxes". What country is this anyway? Old and stupid people make laws and we all pay for it. Been counting my fingers for three+ years to smell an I6 or a V6. Not everyone can buy a widebody Lamborghini or a McLaren but anyone can get a widebody from LBWK or Rocket Bunny for their cars. That's not possible too? This country is going backwards while others are going forward. Even talked to a few friends in Tokyo to get myself a 2JZ-GTE. Painful... All we've got is a history of 2500 years and that's it. Wanted to build myself a real JDM car. (Because Muscle costs an arm and a leg in here) Other countries: Anything is possible. Sri Lanka: Nothing is possible. Disappointed and wanna leave ASAP. Because no one knows how hard I had to work my ass off to finally get myself a flashy 86 and modify it. I feel like I'm lost, I just don't know what to do anymore. I just can't even think. 😢 Anyway, I've got a one last question, if those aren't possible, what's possible? 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Jason Diaz said:

All right guys... Looks like I'm gonna go somewhere away from this country. Because it seems like it's impossible to modify "my own car" even after paying like "200% taxes". What country is this anyway? Old and stupid people make laws and we all pay for it. Been counting my fingers for three+ years to smell an I6 or a V6. Not everyone can buy a widebody Lamborghini or a McLaren but anyone can get a widebody from LBWK or Rocket Bunny for their cars. That's not possible too? This country is going backwards while others are going forward. Even talked to a few friends in Tokyo to get myself a 2JZ-GTE. Painful... All we've got is a history of 2500 years and that's it. Wanted to build myself a real JDM car. (Because Muscle costs an arm and a leg in here) Other countries: Anything is possible. Sri Lanka: Nothing is possible. Disappointed and wanna leave ASAP. Because no one knows how hard I had to work my ass off to finally get myself a flashy 86 and modify it. I feel like I'm lost, I just don't know what to do anymore. I just can't even think. 😢 Anyway, I've got a one last question, if those aren't possible, what's possible? 

BYE 👋 

1 hour ago, Jason Diaz said:

I think you will understand the reality when you are a little more mature.

10 hours ago, Jason Diaz said:

Oh, I'm mature enough to understand. The thing is, I'm not like most of the people. You might say I'm crazy if you meet me IRL. Anyway, bye bye! 👋🏼 

Actually, your reseponses show that my instincts were spot on.

Well...if you are mature...the first thing you would realise, especially if you are collecting and planning your finances accordingly like you say you have been, is that there needs to be a proper plan...your list does not show a plan at all. It is just random stuff (which makes you come off as a whiny teenager who plans on making a show car for all flash wih daddy's money). You say you are collecting money to get it done...well...if so this is exactly why you need a plan ! If you wait till you collect all the funds to get it done..it will never happen because it costs so much. So you need a proper roadmap.

Also, you say you muscle cars are expensive and JDM builds are cheap. Its cheap only if you use Chinese crap to make a plastic bucket like the ricer boys do. You say you have been looking at sourcing a 2JZ engine...if you have any idea of the prices of a 2JZ you would not have made such a childish statement. A good mid mileage 2JZ-GTE from a running, recently deregistered car can cost anything from 600,000 to 800,000yen (or more) to just BUY. Yes...you get ones for 200,000yen as well but those are usually very high mileage engines or ones that have been beated then hell out of and requires rebuilds. Yes...there are ways to get the engine cheaper (like some people here already do and have); but if you had properly researched on building your dream car beyond looking at pictures and fantasizing about what you want to stick on there you would know what the cheaper alternatives are. Then there is also what you said about the gearbox. Andrew ? As in Grey ? Anyway...Formular Drift cars usually have sequential shift gear boxes (just like 99% of race cars out there. You should know that SS gearboxes usually run in to like 1.5mil yen to buy new. You can get used ones but used ones are typically either broken and worthless  (repairing costs as much as a new one) or have been upgraded and dialed in so much that it costs a lot more than a new one. So yeah....stop thinking that your buildis going to be cheap and the JDM builds are cheap.

Also, you say a Lamborghini, etc...is out of your budget...but you do realise that your GT86 project is going to cost you nealry as much right ? Based on your own statements, I am sure everyone here like me am imagining you have VERY deep pockets...a GT86 is NOT cheap..and you cannot lease or buy it off a car loan if you plan to modify it (because through these options you do not own the car, your bank does and you cannot change it..) so you have to outright buy it...thne the parts you want are going to cost almost as much as another car. Then there is he matter of fabrication and labor....there are only a very few garages who can do a good job with bringing out the JZ engines. They are not cheap. Albeit, they are all car loving nice guys that they will offer you a lot of advice and thrown in freebies as well. Then there are the engine and gearbox costs plus the auxiliary stuff all this will need.

Secondly, I don't think you actually know what true "JDM" car culture and tuning is. It is not a matter of sticking parts bought from a shop (although I do admit with most of these home garage shops going big time that is what it has resulted to for most people). There are plenty of people in SL who have built amazing cars and drift ! They did not whine about policies and stuff, instead they found a way to get the job done. This is exactly how JDM tuning started during a time modification of cars was socially and legally looked down upon. Exactly what enthusiasts in SL are going through. The beauty of 99% of the JDM tuning parts out there is that it come right up to crossing the line but it doesn't. Extreme cases are aggressive kits like some RB kits but those are meant for track use (the documetation itself says so). You should know that all those cars you see in Japan with crazy body kits, exhausts, stances, etc....when it is time for their road inspection all the parts get taken off and the car is put in stock form for the inspection.Yes..it is cheating the system, but police only stop them very rarely or at occasional meets when things get rowdy. The belief is that even with these things on, the owners will behave responsibly and not be a burden on others.

There is nothing wrong with being an amateur. We all are..and some have progressed to be  professionals...but we were all newbies once. The difference between a mature newbie with true intent at heart is they know the how big the task is of a conversion and listen to others to solve problems and make a plan.  The immature ones are opposit of that, no plan. Their plan is to have a ton of money and then just drop a whole bunch of parts in and hope it world. When it doesn't or those with experience offer insight...they yell and scream about what they want and throw tantrums. 

To answer your question....

Make a plan ! You do not have one ! Yu mention engines, random transmissions and wheels and utter fluff like neoen lights and sound systems. I say random stuff because things do not make sense...you want a high power engine..but nothing about brakes or a drive train that can handle it. You mention an extra wide RB body kit, but then you do not look at what adjustments are needed for the axle and wheel widths to actually fill out those arches (and that has a bearing on power..if you hade done your reasearch on power and putting it downn you would know why these cars got body kits to make them wide...it is not just to look cool).

Then you need to answer some questions for your self....why do you want an I6 or V6 engine ? After all, if what you really want is to drift: you can even make a box lancer drift (again..strange because the two engines have completely different characteristics to how it feels and delivers power).
Why do you want a 2JZ ? Why will a 1JZ not work for you ? Why can't you fix the boxer engine to put out more power ?<drifting is not just about having a billion HP at the wheels> As long as you keep putting out random thoughts and desires out there..no one can tell you what is possible. Not all dreams are practical in reality.

To start with the choice of car...ifyou want to stick to a 2JZ...then you can go with what most of the drift boys in SL have done....get a Chaser/Mark II/Cresta/Crown and build that up. Other off base alternatives are BMW 5 or 3 serie. Albit more difficult than swapping a Toyota. Then there is also the Nissan route...Glorias, Cedrics, Laurels with RB engines dropped in. A GT86 is a high costing car in SL and you are embarking on a risky project that the car literally cannot be brought back from. Affects resale..affects daily usability, etc...(yes..I said daily usability....drift favoring suspension can be very harsh on normal roads unless they are readjustd to stock form (I have TRD sport springs on the back of my AE85...period correct, hugs the rear like a lizard on the wall and breaks off just when you want it to...but literally the most uncomfortable rear of all the Trueno/Levins in the country..then there is the sound, etc...)

If you want smaller cars...sadly you are out of luck. There simply are not that many RWD cars around other than things like B2 and 3 hundred series Sunnies and a few E70 coupes/sedans/liftbacks. Another option would be to go with a KE74 van build with a 4A-GE or even a 2ZZ conversion.

As for body kits...you can have a body kit and keep it subtle enough to have it pass under the radar of the cops. Just modest wheel arches, etc...better if it is somehting that the manufacturer themselves had offered (and keep a copy of the brochure in the car). Exhaust...again...modest ones are okay and good ones really do not make that much noise unless you are at full throttle. Not the loud beet cans that the ricers put. THose are annoying anyway and becomes a pain after sometime (especilly when inside the car).

Suspension: Proper kit with proper coilovers that you can adjust camber etc, as needed. That way you can set aggressive camber and height adjustments when you are on track but leave it normal when driving daily.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 6

Also....CAN you drift ? Do you know HOW to drift ? (The answer is obvious because if you did what you want would be completely different). During your training stage you are going to crash it and mess it up....so it might be better to get a modest, beat-up drift car before putting in all these big bucks in to an ambitious project. So..yeah...my instincts are spot on....right now you are more about the show of things and the fantasy of wanting to drift without actually thinking of the actual ground work as a drifter (a true drifter who wants to drift would not care if they have the dream car or not and would slowly work up to it as then get more skilled).

5 hours ago, iRage said:

Also....CAN you drift ? Do you know HOW to drift ? (The answer is obvious because if you did what you want would be completely different). During your training stage you are going to crash it and mess it up....so it might be better to get a modest, beat-up drift car before putting in all these big bucks in to an ambitious project. So..yeah...my instincts are spot on....right now you are more about the show of things and the fantasy of wanting to drift without actually thinking of the actual ground work as a drifter (a true drifter who wants to drift would not care if they have the dream car or not and would slowly work up to it as then get more skilled).

Aiyo you ruined a guys dream to do drifts down the mountains in Kandy. It would have been a better story than F@F Tokyo Drift.🤦‍♂️

Some say they can hear him screaming round the Kandyan mountains at night, All we know is he could have been Kanata Katagiri but with all the flair from the Pimp my Ride era.

@Jason Diaz just pulling your leg mate, its your money, your car, your petrol and your life choose to live and enjoy them without hurting anyone. 

• Haha 4

On 9/3/2021 at 7:16 PM, Gummybr said:

Aiyo you ruined a guys dream to do drifts down the mountains in Kandy. It would have been a better story than F@F Tokyo Drift.🤦‍♂️

:( Think I ruined it for him to the point of his own "no return". Oh well...better he finds out the hardship of reality now rather than spend millions to ruin himself and a car.

Sadly most of these kids do not realise the depth of what is required and only see the flashy shiny bits on TV and give up easily. I hope all thse new programs that are done by respected auto professionals will start to shed some light on these matters for these kids. I wasted tons of money on cars unnecessarily and smashed my head on the wall so many times (heck...that is what lead me to AL)...I would like to think the world has changed by now.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 8:48 AM, iRage said:

:( Think I ruined it for him to the point of his own "no return". Oh well...better he finds out the hardship of reality now rather than spend millions to ruin himself and a car.

Sadly most of these kids do not realise the depth of what is required and only see the flashy shiny bits on TV and give up easily. I hope all thse new programs that are done by respected auto professionals will start to shed some light on these matters for these kids. I wasted tons of money on cars unnecessarily and smashed my head on the wall so many times (heck...that is what lead me to AL)...I would like to think the world has changed by now.

The young generation doesnt think the same machang, when you look at his attitude you can see that he isn't someone who can take a good advise. I've tried it with one of the juinors at office, the fellow came onto me and said that he will live his life the way he wants and he doesnt want to be in my position when he is my age, I said suit yourself. Now I see the guy roaming the streets in Battaramulla. They think that parents money can take them places and give them better opportunities.

Sincerely speaking we came (atleast I) from the pimp my ride, Fast & the Furious era (never had any pimped out rides until the Samurai with Red Seats or maybe the Baleno with some performance updates and a killer sound track)but that all changed with time and maturity as you start to wonder where your spent your money. I have a friend who used to have a pimped out Civic after leaving school, now he has become more mature and doing very well down under and has forgotten that path he once tread.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 8:48 AM, iRage said:

I mean I'm not gonna lie.. I felt the same as he did the first I watched initial d :) . But I think the majority of the Sri Lankans can understand that drifting down the kandy mountains is not very realistic as they show in movies :)

anyway... I was planning to buy a car just to learn drifting. This is gonna be my first car ever and I'm looking for something under 2 mil. can anyone suggest me what I should go for. I just want something that I don't have to worry about using rough. (also please lemme know if I have to create a new thred for this topic. I replied here cause everyone was talking about drifting already)

Edited by Maneth Pirisyala

Considering the current market situation, I`d say a KE72 wagon.. But it`s a solid axle at the back, so would need to get the axle sorted properly so that it doesn't wheel hop/axle tramp..   Something like an early Mark2 would be nice, but not sure about the prices at the moment.. A BMW e36 would also work, plenty of drive-train options to mix and match.. 

Whatever the car it is, it`s not an easy thing to do mind you. The cheapest option is to get the diff welded, because good 100% locking differentials are very expensive to build.. Even then, you need quite a bit of power to drift/power slide properly, unless the road surface is wet or the tires are very skinny..  you can make suspension geometry changes to make a car drift easily, but it`ll be a bitch to drive on the road then.. 

I would say just buy a car and try to have some track time first, think about drifting later on..  .

Edited by MrCat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Maneth Pirisyala said:

I just want something that I don't have to worry about using rough.

So you'll want an RWD car. Most cars in the sub 2 mill bracket would not be RWD. You can try to source a rare Trueno maybe. But really - it's your first car so here's a left field idea - spend a fraction of that budget and get yourself a Lancer Box - it's RWD, parts are a plenty and a simple basic car. Try out the basics  first-and once you're done it won't be too difficult to dispose of it either. 

8 minutes ago, MrCat said:

A BMW e36 would also work, plenty of drive-train options to mix and match.. 

This is another option - and a slightly more interesting option than what I have mentioned - just that you'll need a bit more time, money and patience with this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrCat said:

Considering the current market situation, I`d say a KE72 wagon.. But it`s a solid axle at the back, so would need to get the axle sorted properly so that it doesn't wheel hop/axle tramp..   Something like an early Mark2 would be nice, but not sure about the prices at the moment.. A BMW e36 would also work, plenty of drive-train options to mix and match.. 

Whatever the car it is, it`s not an easy thing to do mind you. The cheapest option is to get the diff welded, because good 100% locking differentials are very expensive to build.. Even then, you need quite a bit of power to drift/power slide properly, unless the road surface is wet or the tires are very skinny..  you can make suspension geometry changes to make a car drift easily, but it`ll be a bitch to drive on the road then.. 

I would say just buy a car and try to have some track time first, think about drifting later on..  .

I think KE72 is a good idea. Mark 2 and e36 are totally out of my price range. I mean.. even if I'll buy one I'll have to spend some good money to make it drift ready and on prepares. still.. I wouldn't like to use a car like that as a practise car :) not on that level yet. I must be able to put some heavy pressure on it and still not worry. 

I actually agree with you. Not the best idea to go for a drift car as my first car ever. I was originally planning to go for an honda Eg but... damn I have this thing for RWD... :) will see... the cheapest car with some HP will do for me. after all I just wanna practise on it. 

1 hour ago, matroska said:

So you'll want an RWD car. Most cars in the sub 2 mill bracket would not be RWD. You can try to source a rare Trueno maybe. But really - it's your first car so here's a left field idea - spend a fraction of that budget and get yourself a Lancer Box - it's RWD, parts are a plenty and a simple basic car. Try out the basics  first-and once you're done it won't be too difficult to dispose of it either. 

This is another option - and a slightly more interesting option than what I have mentioned - just that you'll need a bit more time, money and patience with this. 

Trureno is not an option I guess... I've never seen one for sale in Sri Lanka and even if they do.. I don't think they are gonna be under 2 mil. But yeah.. lancer box is a very good idea. That's what my dad sugegsted as well. (After I told him that I was gonna buy an RX-7 right after watching initial d some time ago :) had no idea about the prices)

Do you think I can rely on a lancer box? I've seen them go for as low as 0.6 mil. How much do you think I'm gonna need to make one drift ready? and specially the tire prices... is there a good solution for that? (I know these questions are a bit too early to ask since I didn't even by the car yet. but you know... )

A BMW e36... yes it's an good idea but.. I don't think I'm gonna be able to afford one in the near future. even if I'll do.. I'm not sure if I can maintain one. so... let's go for a cheaper option I guess :)

Edited by Maneth Pirisyala

21 minutes ago, Maneth Pirisyala said:

Trureno is not an option I guess... I've never seen one for sale in Sri Lanka and even if they do.. I don't think they are gonna be under 2 mil. But yeah.. lancer box is a very good idea. That's what my dad sugegsted as well. (After I told him that I was gonna buy an RX-7 right after watching initial d some time ago :) had no idea about the prices)

Do you think I can rely on a lancer box? I've seen them go for as low as 0.6 mil. How much do you think I'm gonna need to make one drift ready? and specially the tire prices... is there a good solution for that? (I know these questions are a bit too early to ask since I didn't even by the car yet. but you know... )

A BMW e36... yes it's an good idea but.. I don't think I'm gonna be able to afford one in the near future. even if I'll do.. I'm not sure if I can maintain one. so... let's go for a cheaper option I guess :)

Forget about Mark 2s....they are out of your budget..unless you can find a beater from the 80s...the Mark 2 platform acually will be alot easier (thus makes it chaeper) for you to get drift ready than something like a KE72 (also, a KE72 will slip he back out but that engine simply has no power to hold a slide...if you go for a KE72 you will have to upgrade the engine or at the very least go for a KE74.

Box Lancers and the model before that or even old Galants B211, B310s are an option. Now...what exactly do you want to do with the car ? Just drift ? You won't be using it as a daily ? ALl of these cars if you spend enough money on it it can be made it to a fairly decent daily. If it is just a matter of earningto drift...jut get some beater...who cares...even something like a KE30/KE50 would work...weld the diffs if you have to (granted the diff will not last that long if you drive around on daily basis). Do not worry about the solid rear axle...even old AE86s, Crowns, MarkII/Chaser/etc...have solid axles and people drift with them. It is just another skill you learn to negotiate. 

• Like 1