• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

MG, Chery, Proton vehicles to be assembled in Sri Lanka

Skyonline

The Vice President of China National Machinery Import and Export Corp, Wu Yi, called on the Ambassador of Sri Lanka to China Dr. Palitha Kohona, 26 October 2021, at the Embassy to explore the possibility of establishing a vehicle plant in Sri Lanka. They plan to produce and promote the MG, Chery and Proton brands in Sri Lanka.

The China National Vehicles Import & Export Co. Ltd., (CVC) is a wholly owned subsidiary of China National Machinery Import and Export Corp (CMC). The CVC is an enterprise specialized in the distribution of automobiles, auto parts and components and other similar products.

The CVC has already established an effective relationship with Micro Cars of Sri Lanka. The Vice President of China National Machinery Import and Export, Wu Yi said that the CVC was in the process of discussing an expanded joint venture with Micro Cars.

Ambassador Dr. Kohona stated that the Government of Sri Lanka welcomes investment in the automobile sector. He encouraged the CVC to present a detailed proposal. The Ambassador explained the domestic market for vehicles and the wider market that is available given Sri Lanka’s location in a prosperous region of the world. Further, he assured the fullest support of the Embassy.

Vice President Wu was accompanied by General Manager of the CMC Yin Qing, Deputy General Manager of the CVC Gu Chaogang, Deputy General Manager of the CVC Zhu Xiaomei, and Commercial Manager of the CVC Yan Wenshuo.

https://www.lankabusinessonline.com/china-national-vehicles-import-export-co-ltd-to-invest-in-vehicle-plant-in-sri-lanka/

On 10/30/2021 at 8:44 AM, Skyonline said:

The Vice President of China National Machinery Import and Export Corp, Wu Yi, called on the Ambassador of Sri Lanka to China Dr. Palitha Kohona, 26 October 2021, at the Embassy to explore the possibility of establishing a vehicle plant in Sri Lanka. They plan to produce and promote the MG, Chery and Proton brands in Sri Lanka.

The CVC has already established an effective relationship with Micro Cars of Sri Lanka. The Vice President of China National Machinery Import and Export, Wu Yi said that the CVC was in the process of discussing an expanded joint venture with Micro Cars.

Isnt MG being assembled in Sri Lanka? Also Chery was also made here (not the QQ), Proton is not Chinese is it?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

Isnt MG being assembled in Sri Lanka? Also Chery was also made here (not the QQ), Proton is not Chinese is it?

Yes .... I think Chery and MG anyway had some low level assembly locally - at least the interior. 

Proton is probably the only brand we can be even mildly excited about - it is Malaysian though not sure why Proton is mentioned as a Chinese brand.

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, matroska said:

Yes .... I think Chery and MG anyway had some low level assembly locally - at least the interior. 

Proton is probably the only brand we can be even mildly excited about - it is Malaysian though not sure why Proton is mentioned as a Chinese brand.

Apparently Proton is partly owned by Geely, and some of the models are rebadged Geely models. So it could be they dont want to be known as Geely rather Proton which is known in the market.

This is some good news - in my personnel and limited knowledge experience. MG is a decent  vehicle and if it's assembled here we could look at export to the region. Not to mention the   local market demand.

Hope this will not end up like the VW story as I was truly looking forward for it ....not that I was getting wet in the rain kind of story but it would have been nice ....to have a VW

Local assembly is good for knowledge transfer...however, I don't think we can reach production levels or quality in terms of where India and other regional partners are atfor us to make a decent and sustainable RoI. By the time we reach a level of maturity in building ICE cars, ICE cars are going to be at a state of decline. We should be planning for the next 10-20 years instead of the present and near future. 

China is pretty much ahead of everyone else in terms of EVs and Ev tech production, we should capitalize on that and use these Chinese partners to grow these production bases in to producing EV cars (since countries like India. etc...are still not there) and use of local EV component manufacturing skills in to this production. EVs might not be sustainable but atleast over the next decade or two there will be a global spike. 

• Like 3

There are number of assembly plants coming up. Mostly for  motor cycles and scooters. The govt policy is to encourage the value addition in Sri Lanka so that  to set off excise duty proportionate to the value addition.   Tyres, battery,  seats etc.  are locally sourced and in some light trucks bucket and silencer are also manufactured here. There are plans to get down bare body to paint here. So hope this policy stay for a while to establish an industry.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wolseley said:

There are number of assembly plants coming up. Mostly for  motor cycles and scooters. The govt policy is to encourage the value addition in Sri Lanka so that  to set off excise duty proportionate to the value addition.   Tyres, battery,  seats etc.  are locally sourced and in some light trucks bucket and silencer are also manufactured here. There are plans to get down bare body to paint here. So hope this policy stay for a while to establish an industry.

I know a guy who has got orders to manufacture some parts for local assembly of motorcycles of a reputed brand. I would think there would be more such SME's if local value addition to assembly is made mandatory

Members,

Long years ago there was a M/s, Metro industries in Negambo Kochikade. They started manufacturing some ball joints for German cars, during that time in a big way, also they did plenty of agriculture implements to our local industry. They were doing very well. Then the owner passed away, he had two sons. One was Electronics highly qualified person. He never wanted to carry on the Father's business. He wants to live in USA with AT&T.

Younger chap (Second Boy) did not like the Sri Lankan way of living he sold all Machines (about 40 automatic CNC machines) with the land and went off to Australia With his family.

There was another motor vehicle importer got a land in Ekala industrial estate wanted to go for small Chinese vehicles assembling in Sri Lanka small petrol vans like Suzuki Every and single rear wheel small Diesel vans for our local requirements. I do not know what happened to that.

Every one wants to do business but our local labor is the most difficult to satisfy.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

On 11/1/2021 at 2:52 AM, Gummybr said:

Apparently Proton is partly owned by Geely,

Oh really? Wow.

On 11/1/2021 at 2:52 AM, Gummybr said:

and some of the models are rebadged Geely models. So it could be they dont want to be known as Geely rather Proton which is known in the market.

It definitely makes sense foe them to run with the Proton brand name which has good brand recognition amongst motor car enthusiasts as a manufacturer of fun to drive, well made cars...(Unlike Geely! 😆)

• Like 1

Thanks for the Info Mr. Sylvi,

So sad they had abandoned the operation  here and gone overseas...  It probably would have been a good business had they continued. 

Agree with labor and way of working - most want to get easy money - A Tuk Tuk is the best example... may youth do not want to learn a trade and develop a skill .

Many want to go in to office jobs after a  decent education,  and to be fair our education system does not provide any guidance on career options and other avenues  - NITA is there but still we need to build on it is what I personally feel.

mazdaspeed,

I totally agree wit you, that we have to do a complete change of our education system.

Our old school people who had extra money always wanted for their children to study in good schools in Colombo and live in Sri Lanka, but the younger generation after 1950 wanted to get out of our paradise country and live in effluent countries. To be third class Citizens.

In 1950 to early 1960 era we had all benefits to get out of this country the young people who went out of this country, with their parents money to effluent countries was a paradise for them.

They got all material benefits but not the love from their Nabors like when there is a problem to you in SL, close Relations Friends and Nabors will always be with you.

I write above what I had experienced in late 1950. I was allowed by my parents to go with a basic education. There was no direct Flights had to take the sea route, was cheap and enjoyable. My late father had arranged a technical education for me. As young boy I liked that and I am still a blue caller worker. Not only that I had a ready made workshop of my late father's to come and work in Sri Lanka.

Today if young boy get out with a basic education, have to start work  in hotel or on a difficult work sites. Mostly because of Rupee depreciation even the parents cannot support them till they settle down.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 2