• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A First car in 6-7Mil range?

Pasindu111

Question

Hello there good people at AL, I'm a random 18 year old looking to buy my first car (this will the first car of our family also, we have never had cars xd)

Talking about the purpose mostly this will be my weekly driver to the Capital and Galle and also the daily driver in the busiest roads in Colombo.

I prefer the look over fuel economy haha (mostly what teenagers r looking here)

So I got few options that all of them I really like any suggestions from you geeks?

1. Aqua 2013

2. Axio 2008

3. Civic FD4

4. Corolla 141

5. Accord 2008

6. Yaris 2008

7. Swift 2008

What you people think and another thing I really wanna consider is less hassel in the garages, just coz I will be extremely busy with studys and job and all.

I saw an old Mini Cooper (2002) must be one of earliest BMW ones in this range. I really like that look, as I heard from the internet the new BMW generations of mini are not the very best built.

Before this price bubble I was looking for an Audi A1 but they all are now priced in 9mil range

1. Aqua : The car is 9 years old. This means there could be issues with the battery and maybe even with the HSD (the second time around depending on how it was used and maintained). You need to look at purchaisn one that has either had a proper battery replacement or one at a decently low price so that you can do the battery replacement and HSD servicing yourself. Personally I would go for the latter option (buying at a lower price and doing the batt replacement, etc.. myself). With existing import restrictions on parts etc...the repair might not be as easy as it used to be.

2. Axio : Previously owned by thel higanna types who only cared about pumpring fuel and driving with the least possible investment in servicing and maintaining the car. They are all low mileage cars and shiny ! You will not find an honest Aio anymore. The honest, good condition ones are not being sold and the ones being sold are ones that have gotten a sale-paint job and have mileages roled back etc..

3. Civic FD4 : Nicest car to dive on your list. Good ones hrdly change hands (at least in public). Some find the ride comfort hard but IMO it is nice and firm and is what gives itthe sporty feel.

4. Corolla 141 : Not the most fuel efficient or peppiest of cars (the petrol engines ones are bit lethargic due to the weight of the car). So it will be a bit annoying if you drive around with a packed car. Its an average car like the Axio in terms of comfort. Mechnical parts could be easiy to find. However, body parts are not going ot be commonly available in places like Delkanda.

5. Accord 2008 : Which one are you referring to ? The narrow bodied JDM variant (CUx series) or the export model wide body version (CP series) ? I didnt know we even had the CU series. or are you talking about the CL Accord (narrow bodied JDM variant that came before the CU from 2002 - 2007) Not easy to find. The CL series is an enthusiast car and gets bought up evn before they get advertised.  Not going ot be easy to find body parts..mechanicals are shared with some other high end Honda cars. The Accord will be the most cofy car in your list. Fuel economy wise it iwll be decent on outstation long drives but not the best in town.

6. Yaris 2008 : Boring, no fuss A to B car. But suffers the same fate as the Axio. Poor maintenance and dressed up for sale with hardly an honest cars around. If you must go for one go for a 1.3L variant at the very least. The 1L variant will be way too slow and droney onlng distance runs. If possible go for the RS trim with 4 disk brakes, etc...but they are quite rare in SL.

7. Swift 2008 : The nicest of the harchbacks on your list. Indian variant is low on safety because it doesn't have many airbags, abs, etc...(because what came to SL were low trim variants). So..try to go for the Japanese variants. Also, th materials used in the Indian variant is a bit cheapish. 

So if you are new to cars....may I ask...how is your driving ? (or your dad's driving ?). If you allare a bit inexperienced, then things like dents andscratches and even lights cracking will be somewhat common at the beginning so you need to get a car that has a decent parts supply (which will only get more difficult with all these forex induced restrictions).

On to your list, I would also add the following:

Mitsubishi Lancer (CS ?) : Almost all of them were imported brand new under govt. permits. Most of them have been take care of. Has decent performance. Personally I find Mitsubishi interiors very plasticy but they are quite well built.

Mazda Axela (same model year as those above).

Mazda Demio

Both the Lancer and Axela are nicer sedans han he Corolla. It is just that the Lancers look basic as almost all of them were agent imported low rim grade models and do not have the bells and whilstles that the Japanese market Corollas have.

When buying a car..always...always go get it inspeced by the the agents and/or a place like CarChecks BEFORE you pay any significant amounts of money. There are a lot of junk ncars out there for sale as people are getting desperate for cash. The whole, I will take a  car loving friend or baas from down the street does not work. Take them for the first visit but after that you need a profesional inspection done with the proper tools at hand.

• Like 1

Hello sir! Thank you very much for your detailed description,

1. The most garage hassel free choice will be the Aqua right?

2. Back then I was super interested on how the Axela/Mazda 3 looks, I really forgot to mention it in the list, how the parts availability and service will be on those units?

3. Lancers too CS1 and CS2 fits really nice in the 5mil range and the looks kinda old too. But talking of CS3 2011ish versions the teak interior and all looks really new and cool. Lancer CS3 will be in the top in my list for sure. Going for a lancer will also save arround 1mil for me also

4. Demio, kinda looks not my type as I'm looking for something with more elegant, calm collected look

5. Yes even though both of us got license we are not experienced drivers, to be honest the only driving seat I have ever sat in my life is the shitty vanette that the learners operating, so how will the scratches thing work with Lancer CS3, Mazda 3 and Aqua? Heard that Aqua got like 1 panel back lights which is kinda expensive to replace.

Thank you very much for your detailed description again sir! Yes we will be highly cautious buying the vehicle as we are not car people to start with.

Sad what 6-7mil gets you now. Like @iRagesaid, lots of junk cars out there.

what about an Every van? I know I know… Its a bomba model and not the coolest ride for an 18YO.

You can get a 2015 and up model for about 4.5million. Very reliable, cheap to run, can fit about 7 people. Parts are priced ok. Fuel consumption can range from 10-20kmpl depending on where and how it’s driven.

Perfect for the “boys” and enough space for the “girls”. 😉 plus you can do a side hustle via the taxi apps too. More cash for booze and grass 😉

it’s tiny, so driving is easy,repairs are cheap and can be done asap. Body parts are available in case of an oopsie. Insurance should be cheaper than on a 7 mil car. Resale value is great. 

Can get a nice wagon for your money,but it’s not worth it. Don’t waste so much money on over inflated crook vehicles. Buy something for cheap.

Oh yeah. Every’s are almost repellent to garages. You’ll almost never even glance at a garage. Drive safe and try not to go mafia style cos they can topple easily.

Edited by fiat fan
Added info

@fiat fan Haha Every seems a good option but not the most teen friendly look, Im not actually looking for a family vehicle coz Im the only child and buying this from my hard earned internet dollars, thought of converting my dollars to spend on something cool coz of the dollar crisis in the country, thought doing my part to get this mess at least a bit cleared. 

If my parents could afford a normal car I would definitely waste my money in a Honda S660 or a Daihatzu Coupen. HaHa (wild teenage dreams) I can't do that coz I should be able to take my parents in a nice ride right? 

For now Im staying with three options

1. Civic FD4

2. Lancer CS3

3. Aqua 2013

Civic is like 1.5mil expensive than latter 2 but lets see whats actually good with your thoughts, Im a completely idiot noob to this subject haha

@PreseaLover Seems like an uncommon vehicle, how is the parts availability sir?

5 minutes ago, Pasindu111 said:

@fiat fan Haha Every seems a good option but not the most teen friendly look, Im not actually looking for a family vehicle coz Im the only child and buying this from my hard earned internet dollars, thought of converting my dollars to spend on something cool coz of the dollar crisis in the country, thought doing my part to get this mess at least a bit cleared. 

If my parents could afford a normal car I would definitely waste my money in a Honda S660 or a Daihatzu Coupen. HaHa (wild teenage dreams) I can't do that coz I should be able to take my parents in a nice ride right? 

For now Im staying with three options

1. Civic FD4

2. Lancer CS3

3. Aqua 2013

Civic is like 1.5mil expensive than latter 2 but lets see whats actually good with your thoughts, Im a completely idiot noob to this subject haha

@PreseaLover Seems like an uncommon vehicle, how is the parts availability sir?

you havent seen a Mark II GX100 in your life before? Plenty of Mark II's and Parts available. Its a luxury vehicle. None of what you specified are luxury cars. Go check the FB group Toyota Mark II sri lanka

2 hours ago, Pasindu111 said:

@PreseaLover will check out! I think I havnt seen or noticed any Mark 2's unfortunately, looked for listings in 2006 versions to see how they look, could not find any too. 

I sense that this will not be a good choice for a first car right? Im a noob driver.

You won't find a 2006 version of a Mark II because that was its last model year and of that many of that in SL are earlier models. Also, the Mark II of the 2006 type is ..well...doesn't look very youthful.

As in my previous post, I would still say stay away from an Aqua unless it has had the battery swapped, etc..or can get one at a decent price for you to do your own battery swap etc....if you are looking at newer one then it is a little better. But still be careful...there were alot of scrap worthy Aquas immported from Japan and most Aquas were owned by the type who did not care  rat's rear-end about maintenance.

Again, as mentioned before, your better choices out of the second list would be a Lancer CS or a Civic FD. You might be luck enough to find a car that was agent imported and has a full mainenance history with them. 
Don't diss the kei cars either....an Every van or even a JDM Alto can look very cool and youthful. In fact modifying the Every is a huge JDM car sub-culture here...FOr me the only downside of having a kei vehicle in your case is the long distance drive (as a family car). On the highway and underload the engine will be working very very hard just to stay at 100kmph. Then, because of its light weight you do get a lot of road fatigue after a long journey.

10 Popular Dream Rides ideas | suzuki every, kei car, suzukiSuzuki Every DA64V with #Blax_modifications - T.G. Enterprises

4 hours ago, Pasindu111 said:

Heard FD3 is Hybrid, FD1 and FD4 over FD3 or? The other?

Yes, the FD3 is hybrid.

I have a FD3 since 2016 and if you ask me you should chose between the FD1 (1.8 liter 140hp) and FD3 (1.3 liter + electric motor 114hp) and ditch the FD4 (1.6 liter 123hp). Why?

FD4 is the basic model in the FD lineup with least options and doesn't really excel in performance or fuel efficiency (efficiency is basically the same as the FD1).

FD1 would have some unique options like hydraulic power steering, sun roof and pedal shifters (agent imported highest grade) while JDM would have EPS and pedal shifters without the sun roof and could have some of the goodies of JDM FD3 based on the options added by the Japanese owner on their initial purchase and would be a bit more fuel efficient than their agent imported counter parts while having the same performance.

FD3 would be the most fuel efficient and most option packed model in the lineup with stuff like electronic power steering, ABS, EBD, vehicle stability assist, 8 air bags, seat heaters, winker mirrors, special alloy wheels, keyless entry, multi-function steering, adaptive cruise control, city brake system etc. based on the country of origin and the grade of the car. Also, the car has good pickup (better acceleration than FD4) thanks to the electric motor (ONLY IF THE HYBRID SYSTEM IS IN GOOD HEALTH).

The FD series (FD1, FD3 and FD4) is fun to drive, have good handling, attractive looks both inside and out and is comfortable and spacious with a low to the ground driving position. (all equipped with independent rear suspension and all 4 disc brakes and rev happy Honda engines). 

Maintenance should be attended to by a person who is familiar with Honda models else a MAKABAS would make your ownership experience a pain in the ###. Recondition parts available and like everything maintenance costs are high these days.

38 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

Yes, the FD3 is hybrid.

I have a FD3 since 2016 and if you ask me you should chose between the FD1 (1.8 liter 140hp) and FD3 (1.3 liter + electric motor 114hp) and ditch the FD4 (1.6 liter 123hp). Why?

FD4 is the basic model in the FD lineup with least options and doesn't really excel in performance or fuel efficiency (efficiency is basically the same as the FD1).

FD1 would have some unique options like hydraulic power steering, sun roof and pedal shifters (agent imported highest grade) while JDM would have EPS and pedal shifters without the sun roof and could have some of the goodies of JDM FD3 based on the options added by the Japanese owner on their initial purchase and would be a bit more fuel efficient than their agent imported counter parts while having the same performance.

FD3 would be the most fuel efficient and most option packed model in the lineup with stuff like electronic power steering, ABS, EBD, vehicle stability assist, 8 air bags, seat heaters, winker mirrors, special alloy wheels, keyless entry, multi-function steering, adaptive cruise control, city brake system etc. based on the country of origin and the grade of the car. Also, the car has good pickup (better acceleration than FD4) thanks to the electric motor (ONLY IF THE HYBRID SYSTEM IS IN GOOD HEALTH).

The FD series (FD1, FD3 and FD4) is fun to drive, have good handling, attractive looks both inside and out and is comfortable and spacious with a low to the ground driving position. (all equipped with independent rear suspension and all 4 disc brakes and rev happy Honda engines). 

Maintenance should be attended to by a person who is familiar with Honda models else a MAKABAS would make your ownership experience a pain in the ###. Recondition parts available and like everything maintenance costs are high these days.

Thank you very much for your suggestions sir!

Got few questions

1. How much will it cost to slove the typical hybrid problems? (At least before inflation price please)

2. I personally do not have that few extra hours to be in a garage as I have to manage everything here and there, I know hondas are reliable goodies but anything you specially noticed with these FDs?

3. Do you recommend this car for a first time user? Specially a teenager to be specific, a noob driver

4. What should I specially look for when going for inspection?

5. Are there any light color leather interior options available? 

3. Do you recommend this car for a first time user? Specially a teenager to be specific, a noob driver

No..but yes...depends on the teenager. The FD is a sedan ith some interesting dimensions. A newbie driver who is not used to judging dimensions of a car and turning angles is bound to scratch and dent any car. SO the FD might not be the easiest for a newbie driver as opposed to a narrow bodied car like an od lancer or even a smaller car like a hatchback. So whether it is good or bad for a first time user depends on the newbie.

As for maintaining a car for a newbie, as long as you find a good car what you wouldneed ot do is clean it (anything from washing to waxing) to periodic op services (i.e. fluid changes, etc..) and depending on the age of the car look in to preemptive maintenance work as recommended by the manufacturer.

So..key is...finding a good car.

Hondas of this vintage are known to have steering issues..so just make sure that the steering system (EPS or Hydraulic PS) is working proeprly and tha there are no fluid leaks or any wierd noises and knocks. Look at the suspension components...again..making sure there are no knocks, etc...look at the electronics...

If you are goingfor a Honda Hybrid...again, make sure the hybrid system is in good shape.

So basically..you wold be looking in to things that you would look in to when buying any car. Go to theagent or a reputed place like CarChecks...they have a comprihensive check list and have seen thousands of these cars and know what to look for.

Awesome! Thank you very much again! I saw that there are no stock screens (infortaitment systems) so is it possible to get at least after market reverse cam setup installed? That will be a huge deciding factor with my level of driving skills.

Apart from that what I learned so far is for the buying process is that

1. Go with a Bass or a good car guy to the initial inspections and decide whether this worth the professional checks.

2. Go for a reputable place and get every corner checked with specially the hybrid and electronic systems.

3. Wait and look for the best possible conditioned unit, and go for quality over price?

Ps - heard Stafford are the agents for the Hondas, it will be good to get checks done by them right?

Yes...aftermarket infortainment system can be fitted. Diffulty/easy of doing so wold depend on the trim level you end up with. In some FD trim levels you would have noticed that the stereo controls and little stere dispay are integrated in to one huge plastic piece/bezel that seems to be part of one big plastic panel running all the way to the speedo meter. In those, you will have to change that huge plasic panelling. So for a dash like that it might be easier for you to just fix a reverse cam with a seperate small screen that gets pasted on top of the dash or integrated with a rear view mirror. In some FDs you will see that the stereo is in a little box area that seems to be "not connected" with the rest of the plastic panel. That would be the easiest and will be jsut a matter of pulling out the existing stereo and putting in the new one.

As for your other statements:

1. --> Yes

2. -->Yes. The thing is....typically..the agents are good to get a comprehensive mechanical deep dive. A place like CarChecks is usually good to get a deep dive in to the structure of the car (look for chassis damage and cover ups, etc...) and a general overview of the mechanical wear and tear (and read out of the ECU). So you might want to go to the latter first and if it is structurally sound and mechanically satisfactory, take it to the agents for a deep dive in to mechanicals (especially to look in to whatever issues were identified in the first inspection). Again..this would cost money and time. So at the end it is up to you to make the judgement call as to take it to both or just one.

3. --> Yes...quality over shiny bits and bells and whistles. Mechanical, electrical and structural integrity is key. Body kits, shiny lights, fancy wheels are all secondary items and are just icing on the cake...if you are lucky you will get all of those in one package. if not...get a good base car and put the fancy wheels and stuff yourself.

Yes..Stafford is the agent for Honda. Toy#ta L#nka for Toyota, A*W for Nissan. Unied Motors for Mitsubishi. Mazda..hmm..it is either C#lonial M#tors or CarMart ? You might want to just call up the agent and ask if they know of any for sale as well. 

19 hours ago, Pasindu111 said:

1. How much will it cost to solve the typical hybrid problems? (At least before inflation price please)

2. I personally do not have that few extra hours to be in a garage as I have to manage everything here and there, I know Hondas are reliable goodies but anything you specially noticed with these FDs?

5. Are there any light color leather interior options available? 

1. Up until very recently a used battery consisting of GP1/2 cells costed about 150,000 to be assembled and fixed. Conditioning an existing pack was done around 25,000. A brand new brake accumulator used to cost around 50,000. These amounts should be adjusted to reflect the inflation nowadays most probably. Anyway for 15+ year hybrid car the FD3 has proven to be very reliable apart from the battery failures that were reported when they were introduced to the market. Since then replacing the battery with the new Honda battery cell type has resolved the issue and is long lasting than the Toyota hybrids.

2. Well if you go for a FD1 with hydraulic steering rack, leaks are common so that would be an issue you'd need to tackle. However, JDM FD1s and FD3 are Electronic Power Steering so those cars don't have that problem. Other than that FD1s with pedal shifters and FD4s have suffered gearbox related issues due to the teenage owners beating the shit out of them ;) Frequent launching etc. So anyway, check the car before you buy at the agents and invest in a good car with a maintenance history so you don't need to worry. Other than that issues are what you can expect from any car depending on the mileage and how well the previous owner took care of it.

3. The FD3 is my first car and bought it in my 20s so it has served me well since then. Like @iRagementioned you can't see the front end of your car from the driving seat (FD has a sporty driving position and is low to the ground and the exterior shape is aerodynamic focused with a very large windscreen so you can't see the edge of the bonnet or the bonnet for that matter so you'll have to be careful on that.

4. General stuff you would inspect when purchasing any car would do.

5. Light colour leather interior would be available on most probably FD1S and UK FD3 models. JDMs didn't come with leather mostly.

11 hours ago, Pasindu111 said:

I saw that there are no stock screens (infortaitment systems) so is it possible to get at least after market reverse cam setup installed? That will be a huge deciding factor with my level of driving skills.

Well that's mostly the case with agent imported FD1 models and some JDM FD1 cars. JDM FD3 cars with the navi package came with a factory fitted reverse camera and a head-unit of 7 inches from factory. Even the highest grade UK FD3 came with a similar setup. You can fix any android head-unit 10 inch 9 inch or whatever and install a reverse camera if the car you select doesn't come with those. Easy job for the car audio guys :D And they also have a suitable panel if the car you pick has the old type stereo setup. 

Like you mentioned for a newbie a reverse camera is a good driving aid and it has been a constant help for me as well throughout the years. Since mine came with the original reverse camera it has been very easy since it supports a good viewing angle.

10 hours ago, iRage said:

Yes...aftermarket infortainment system can be fitted. Diffulty/easy of doing so wold depend on the trim level you end up with. In some FD trim levels you would have noticed that the stereo controls and little stere dispay are integrated in to one huge plastic piece/bezel that seems to be part of one big plastic panel running all the way to the speedo meter. In those, you will have to change that huge plasic panelling. So for a dash like that it might be easier for you to just fix a reverse cam with a seperate small screen that gets pasted on top of the dash or integrated with a rear view mirror. In some FDs you will see that the stereo is in a little box area that seems to be "not connected" with the rest of the plastic panel. That would be the easiest and will be jsut a matter of pulling out the existing stereo and putting in the new one.

As for your other statements:

1. --> Yes

2. -->Yes. The thing is....typically..the agents are good to get a comprehensive mechanical deep dive. A place like CarChecks is usually good to get a deep dive in to the structure of the car (look for chassis damage and cover ups, etc...) and a general overview of the mechanical wear and tear (and read out of the ECU). So you might want to go to the latter first and if it is structurally sound and mechanically satisfactory, take it to the agents for a deep dive in to mechanicals (especially to look in to whatever issues were identified in the first inspection). Again..this would cost money and time. So at the end it is up to you to make the judgement call as to take it to both or just one.

3. --> Yes...quality over shiny bits and bells and whistles. Mechanical, electrical and structural integrity is key. Body kits, shiny lights, fancy wheels are all secondary items and are just icing on the cake...if you are lucky you will get all of those in one package. if not...get a good base car and put the fancy wheels and stuff yourself.

Yes..Stafford is the agent for Honda. Toy#ta L#nka for Toyota, A*W for Nissan. Unied Motors for Mitsubishi. Mazda..hmm..it is either C#lonial M#tors or CarMart ? You might want to just call up the agent and ask if they know of any for sale as well. 

Thank you very much again good sir!

I'm starting the waiting game today! Till I find the best condition FD3 in the market haha!

1 hour ago, Dee Jay said:

1. Up until very recently a used battery consisting of GP1/2 cells costed about 150,000 to be assembled and fixed. Conditioning an existing pack was done around 25,000. A brand new brake accumulator used to cost around 50,000. These amounts should be adjusted to reflect the inflation nowadays most probably. Anyway for 15+ year hybrid car the FD3 has proven to be very reliable apart from the battery failures that were reported when they were introduced to the market. Since then replacing the battery with the new Honda battery cell type has resolved the issue and is long lasting than the Toyota hybrids.

2. Well if you go for a FD1 with hydraulic steering rack, leaks are common so that would be an issue you'd need to tackle. However, JDM FD1s and FD3 are Electronic Power Steering so those cars don't have that problem. Other than that FD1s with pedal shifters and FD4s have suffered gearbox related issues due to the teenage owners beating the shit out of them ;) Frequent launching etc. So anyway, check the car before you buy at the agents and invest in a good car with a maintenance history so you don't need to worry. Other than that issues are what you can expect from any car depending on the mileage and how well the previous owner took care of it.

3. The FD3 is my first car and bought it in my 20s so it has served me well since then. Like @iRagementioned you can't see the front end of your car from the driving seat (FD has a sporty driving position and is low to the ground and the exterior shape is aerodynamic focused with a very large windscreen so you can't see the edge of the bonnet or the bonnet for that matter so you'll have to be careful on that.

4. General stuff you would inspect when purchasing any car would do.

5. Light colour leather interior would be available on most probably FD1S and UK FD3 models. JDMs didn't come with leather mostly.

Well that's mostly the case with agent imported FD1 models and some JDM FD1 cars. JDM FD3 cars with the navi package came with a factory fitted reverse camera and a head-unit of 7 inches from factory. Even the highest grade UK FD3 came with a similar setup. You can fix any android head-unit 10 inch 9 inch or whatever and install a reverse camera if the car you select doesn't come with those. Easy job for the car audio guys :D And they also have a suitable panel if the car you pick has the old type stereo setup. 

Like you mentioned for a newbie a reverse camera is a good driving aid and it has been a constant help for me as well throughout the years. Since mine came with the original reverse camera it has been very easy since it supports a good viewing angle.

Thank you very much again also!

What I got from all this is that getting a FD3 and doing some battery repairs or replacing will make the car (hopefully a good condition one) a trusty machine I can hit the southern expressway weekly with? What will the fuel economy will be? Specially in a FD3, I saw another complete thread to be honest in this economy subject, but thought of getting to know most updated answers as these units are closing to 200000km mark I guess, another thing I learned with going up and doing in AL threads is not to trust the millage meter a bit right? I my self is not that race kid kinda guy, a complete calm version of kids haha, Really to be honest when my aged people go after honerts and all tracker bike stuff, I my self currently ride my trusty old CD125T Benly. Hope my future experience with this second Honda machine will be awesome!

I'm fully convinced to get the next best condition FD3 I guess, just keeping FD1 as the second option coz fuel economy will be a little consern, if they really do 8-9, A weekly ride to the capital and back in the southern highway will cost a fortune with these fuel prices.

23 minutes ago, Pasindu111 said:

What I got from all this is that getting a FD3 and doing some battery repairs or replacing will make the car (hopefully a good condition one) a trusty machine I can hit the southern expressway weekly with? What will the fuel economy will be? Specially in a FD3, I saw another complete thread to be honest in this economy subject, but thought of getting to know most updated answers as these units are closing to 200000km mark I guess,

Yes, since this is your 1st car try to get one that is already sorted by a reputable place with records. Battery with a warranty etc. Since you are new to this finding the best places to do the things might take a while which might burn your money. Because there are many places that do these repairs but not all places are doing a quality and a professional job.

Yes, no need to fear on hitting the southern expressway at all :D There's one FD3 of a friend of mine that hits the southern expressway daily with a mileage of around 200,000km. And not all cars are close to 200,000km some are used less as well (just above 100,000km). Whatever the mileage the necessary repairs should be carried out (usually based on the mileage or time line). Be sure to check and get the condition verified and records to prove (if these are available mostly the car should be in good condition).

If the car is in good health engine wise and hybrid system wise it would return around +/- 20kmpl in the highway and out station. In Colombo it would be around 10kmpl to 15kmpl depending on the traffic conditions and your driving habits.

If you are a frequent highway runner try to get one with cruise control which would make your journey more comfortable. When it comes to FD3, UK FD3s come with standard (maintain the set speed) cruise control (most UK cars have cruise as standard) and the JDM cars come with optional adaptive (maintain the set speed and distance and brake accordingly) cruise control (for JDM cars cruise control is optional so most of the cars don't have it but there are cars with adaptive cruise control in Sri Lanka that were advertised for sale). Keep in mind that using cruise control would be a bit less economical fuel wise in any car.

Edited by Dee Jay
Added about cruise control

7 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

Yes, since this is your 1st car try to get one that is already sorted by a reputable place with records. Battery with a warranty etc. Since you are new to this finding the best places to do the things might take a while which might burn your money. Because there are many places that do these repairs but not all places are doing a quality and a professional job.

Yes, no need to fear on hitting the southern expressway at all :D There's one FD3 of a friend of mine that hits the southern expressway daily with a mileage of around 200,000km. And not all cars are close to 200,000km some are used less as well (just above 100,000km). Whatever the mileage the necessary repairs should be carried out (usually based on the mileage or time line). Be sure to check and get the condition verified and records to prove (if these are available mostly the car should be in good condition).

If the car is in good health engine wise and hybrid system wise it would return around +/- 20kmpl in the highway and out station. In Colombo it would be around 10kmpl to 15kmpl depending on the traffic conditions and your driving habits.

Awesome! I would definitely ask for directions to the hybrid battery guys from you after I got the unit in hand haha! So what I took final is that to trust what CarCheck guys say and if they says ok I buy the vehicle, and if there are issues with the hybrid system mostly it will be repairs of the battery, it is always good to pay more to get a well serviced unit with records than buying cheap and spending the rest in the garage, to be honest I was thinking of getting a vehicle to just arround 1-1.5 years in this range and upgrading to my dream first car Audi A1 or at least to that range, there are new Swift and A1s ti consider too. But what I took from all this is as FD3 is extremely reliable, full sedan and the interior and nor the exterior looks *old* compaired to competitors from 2008 era. I can keep this a little longer, if not forever as the family vehicle. 

One last question from @Dee Jay is paying close to or over 7mil worth it for a FD3? A good condition one that the CarChecks guys would also recommend getting.

22 minutes ago, Pasindu111 said:

One last question from @Dee Jay is paying close to or over 7mil worth it for a FD3? A good condition one that the CarChecks guys would also recommend getting.

Well due to the devaluation of the rupee prices have doubled so same goes for the FD3. So if its worth that money or not is purely subjective based on your needs and financial status :) 7 million would have fetched you a very new car a couple of years back :( So with the current situation if you have a need to get into a car, a good condition one would be worth it since the repair costs too would increase along with currency devaluation. A well maintained one would be reliable be it an old car or a new car.

As @iRagehad pointed out earlier, CarChecks is good in certain areas and the agent in others.. So, since it's a hybrid be sure to check at least the usable battery capacity from CarChecks if you are not planning to visit the agent.

Edited by Dee Jay

14 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

Well due to the devaluation of the rupee prices have doubled so same goes for the FD3. So if its worth that money or not is purely subjective based on your needs and financial status :) 7 million would have fetched you a very new car a couple of years back :( So with the current situation if you have a need to get into a car, a good condition one would be worth it since the repair costs too would increase along with currency devaluation. A well maintained one would be reliable be it an old car or a new car.

As @iRagehad pointed out earlier, CarChecks is good in certain areas and the agent in others.. So, since it's a hybrid be sure to check at least the usable battery capacity from CarChecks if you are not planning to visit the agent.

If it is the rupee devaluation it is ok from my side as Im converting some online earned dollars that were sitting there for a long time, (to be honest the hardwork I put on right after OLs till now, Im facing ALs this year) if it is the artificial bubble that car sale buggers created that is a case, hopefully they better stay on Toyotas, and not on these reliable Hondas. Actually fact that 7mil would fetch me a brand new is kinda true and it is super sad for someone getting paid in Rupee to hear. I actually dreamed to get my self an Audi A1 which priced close to 5mil but in the 4mils back then, just 25000USDs as I remember back then dollar was 160 when I was starting, now they are priced 9mils and same dollar amount is there when calculated roughly, so it is not the actually car sales greedyness to be fare, I actually have no connections to them but it is what it seems to me personally. Even though I can go full cash. With this inflation I prefer to go with most possible finance amount to start with for 5 years or more if possible. So as the inflation seems worsening I can keep a bit of profits as leasing rates < inflation rate. Will that be possible? Hopefully they will not increase the lease rates after the agreement is signed. As you guys were really helpful with the car side informations, what are the financial knowledge you have on this good people? I'm just speaking with what feel with all this going in the country. I cannot let my dreams of getting a good car down because of these political idiots. My sleepless nights and all hardworks deserve the final gift of happiness right?

8 hours ago, Pasindu111 said:

If it is the rupee devaluation it is ok from my side as Im converting some online earned dollars that were sitting there for a long time, (to be honest the hardwork I put on right after OLs till now, Im facing ALs this year) if it is the artificial bubble that car sale buggers created that is a case, hopefully they better stay on Toyotas, and not on these reliable Hondas. Actually fact that 7mil would fetch me a brand new is kinda true and it is super sad for someone getting paid in Rupee to hear. I actually dreamed to get my self an Audi A1 which priced close to 5mil but in the 4mils back then, just 25000USDs as I remember back then dollar was 160 when I was starting, now they are priced 9mils and same dollar amount is there when calculated roughly, so it is not the actually car sales greedyness to be fare, I actually have no connections to them but it is what it seems to me personally. Even though I can go full cash. With this inflation I prefer to go with most possible finance amount to start with for 5 years or more if possible. So as the inflation seems worsening I can keep a bit of profits as leasing rates < inflation rate. Will that be possible? Hopefully they will not increase the lease rates after the agreement is signed. As you guys were really helpful with the car side informations, what are the financial knowledge you have on this good people? I'm just speaking with what feel with all this going in the country. I cannot let my dreams of getting a good car down because of these political idiots. My sleepless nights and all hardworks deserve the final gift of happiness right?

Years ago when I was riding a bicycle I dreamed of having a Car of my own and I envied the people who had them. After years of hard work I bought my Dream car in 2019. Naturally I was the happiest man on the planet. Fast forward to 2022 I am searching for a bicycle in quick sites for my daily needs.😩 not trying to discourage you by any means.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Years ago when I was riding a bicycle I dreamed of having a Car of my own and I envied the people who had them. After years of hard work I bought my Dream car in 2019. Naturally I was the happiest man on the planet. Fast forward to 2022 I am searching for a bicycle in quick sites for my daily needs.😩 not trying to discourage you by any means.

Talking of that I got my self my trusty Benly when I wanna burn less gas Haha.

Btw I see you got a Lancer, I saw few listings in the 7mil range, which is a bit over my budget but is there anything you can add to this discussion sir?

Lancer EX GLS 2011ish vs Civic FDs?

I know there is a price difference of arround 1.5mil but what are the possibilities if we had both head to head?

Edited by Pasindu111