• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Looking for a comfortable Hatchback car.

chan5

Looking for a comfortable hatchback car to take kids home from school on weekends. The drive is 130kms from kandy to North central province through paved but twisty road including Hunnasgiriya, and 18 bends. one up and down trip per week (Less than 1200kms /month).
Usually this journey induce vomiting on kids and it's quite difficult to complete without medications.

Have a budget upto 5-6M and my main concern is comfort. since driving in remote roads, a common car easy to maintain would be ideal. Sedans are out of the equation due to parking space limitations.

Have few choices in mind, if someone with first hand experiences would enlighten about comfort and ride quality, It would be a great help.
( Vitz 2016, Stingray 2018, Moda Passo 2017, Aqua 2014, Fit GP5 2015, Viva Elite 2013 ) . 

Edited by chan5

• chan5 changed the title to Looking for a comfortable Hatchback car.

Suzuki Swift RS if you are looking for a fun car, wont be the most comfortable ride for the passengers but you will enjoy it provided you can find one in that budget. If not a Fit GP5 make sure that there arent any issues with the gearbox.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chan5 said:

Have few choices in mind, if someone with first hand experiences would enlighten about comfort and ride quality, It would be a great help.
( Vitz 2016, Stingray 2018, Moda Passo 2017, Aqua 2014, Fit GP5 2015, Viva Elite 2013 ) .

Out of the choices above, for me the best option would be a Honda Fit GP5 as its the best all rounder (fun to drive, comfortable with good options (cruise control etc.) spacious and practical)..

As @Gummybrmentions, the Suzuki Swift RS is also a good choice.

Whatever you choose to go with, get a unit that's in good condition (an inspection at the agents for any car you buy would be a good precaution and an investment/ cost saver)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

Out of the choices above, for me the best option would be a Honda Fit GP5 as its the best all rounder (fun to drive, comfortable with good options (cruise control etc.) spacious and practical)..

As @Gummybrmentions, the Suzuki Swift RS is also a good choice.

Whatever you choose to go with, get a unit that's in good condition (an inspection at the agents for any car you buy would be a good precaution and an investment/ cost saver)

The sporty handling is less priority in this case as basically this is driven by wife, she doesn't cross the 50-60kmph mark anyway though. Very calm and soft driving style. 

My initial thought was that, Vitz is better in department of refinement of the ride, especially for rear seat passengers as specifically expected in this use case.

Any thoughts guys ? 

Edited by chan5

If you are no concern much on handling Vitz will be the best provided you do not drive fast on twisty roads.

But GP5 may be bit more planted on twisty roads and will have more power for that critical overtaking a lorry or a bus and will have much more room in the back seat and the boot.

Economy will be more or less same. However GP5 is a much more complex car and expect higher maintenance costs.

On 1/4/2023 at 2:49 PM, chan5 said:

Vitz 2016, Stingray 2018, Moda Passo 2017, Aqua 2014, Fit GP5 2015, Viva Elite 2013

Vitz - Not quite 'refined' might just lack that oomph when overtaking on long distance drives. Other than that easy to maintain car.

StingRay -  Not going to suit your need. Also given the slightly high(ish) dimensions it's not going to be comfy on twisty roads. 

Passo - Interestingly I find the Passo a bit more smoother than the Vitz. And most of the vitzes we have here are the lowest grade versions while the Moda has more options. Overall better car but I'm not sure how it feels in the back seats. 

Aqua 2014 - This is a good choice I feel since the aqua is more refined than the Vitz, has good pickup. Being a hybrid be slightly aware of battery issues etc. 

GP5 - Probably best option - the most 'complete' car of the options you provided. The GP5 is quite a nice package. The DCT sadly makes it fun is also it's Achilles heel. 

Viva Elite - dear me no. Much as I love the viva elite and peroduas in general , if comfort for rear passengers is a concern do not buy it. 

Generally hatches will not always offer sedan -level comfort due to the shorter wheelbase etc. 

I'd recommend GP5 >Aqua> Vitz. 

What is the current vehicle you use btw?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trailing behind a heavy lorry or bus for a mile or so in those twisty roads is a common thing. I might be wrong but wouldn't DCTs tend to overheat if you drive slowly on inclines for prolonged time?

• Like 1

1. Vitz : What you are going to find in SL 99% of the time is the 1L variant. That engine is a lazy dog. Especially if you plan to have a car full of passengers driving in hilly terrain. as for refinement, the 1L Vitz variants are the bottom of the barrel sort of cars. Seats are basic...interiror plasticy. 

2. Aqua : The Aqua would be slightly more refined than the Vitz (considering you get decent trim levels in SL). Also, the Aqua has a much nimbler frame than the Vitz (its only downfall in terms of handling is that the steering is too light and vague which is what the Vitz is as well)

3. Passo : More or less the same as the Vitz just in a Daihatsu platform. However, due to the trim level differences the Passo will be a bit more sleeker (and dare I say refined) than the Vitz.

4. Fit GP5: As the others have mentioned, is the better all rounder. So if it was my money, this is where I would put it.

Alternate: Suzuki Swift...yes the RS or the Sports would be the "funner" variants, although the RS is more or less a sports trim package as opposed to being actually sporty. Any other trim level of the JAPANESE Swift would also be a decent choice. Pretty decent performance, comfortable ride and the interior does not look or feel cheap and plasticy (like the Vitz). Stay away from the Indian variants as those are stripped down cars and have very poor safety ratings.

Now...the reality is...Toyota's in SL have a mythical brand value...so they might have inflated prices (i.e. you pay a lot ore than what the car is actually worth); and when considering resell-ability it you will hear 101 pundits telling you how much better the Toyota is. Remember, as long as the car is well taken care of and is reasonably priced even other brands sell quite easily (sometimes much easily than a Toyota).

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, matroska said:

Vitz - Not quite 'refined' might just lack that oomph when overtaking on long distance drives. Other than that easy to maintain car.

StingRay -  Not going to suit your need. Also given the slightly high(ish) dimensions it's not going to be comfy on twisty roads. 

Passo - Interestingly I find the Passo a bit more smoother than the Vitz. And most of the vitzes we have here are the lowest grade versions while the Moda has more options. Overall better car but I'm not sure how it feels in the back seats. 

Aqua 2014 - This is a good choice I feel since the aqua is more refined than the Vitz, has good pickup. Being a hybrid be slightly aware of battery issues etc. 

GP5 - Probably best option - the most 'complete' car of the options you provided. The GP5 is quite a nice package. The DCT sadly makes it fun is also it's Achilles heel. 

Viva Elite - dear me no. Much as I love the viva elite and peroduas in general , if comfort for rear passengers is a concern do not buy it. 

Generally hatches will not always offer sedan -level comfort due to the shorter wheelbase etc. 

I'd recommend GP5 >Aqua> Vitz. 

What is the current vehicle you use btw?  

Thanks for the comprehension man.In this case, I am leaning towards the FIT GP5.

Currently using a third gen Prius 😑

Edited by chan5

4 hours ago, iRage said:

1. Vitz : What you are going to find in SL 99% of the time is the 1L variant. That engine is a lazy dog. Especially if you plan to have a car full of passengers driving in hilly terrain. as for refinement, the 1L Vitz variants are the bottom of the barrel sort of cars. Seats are basic...interiror plasticy. 

2. Aqua : The Aqua would be slightly more refined than the Vitz (considering you get decent trim levels in SL). Also, the Aqua has a much nimbler frame than the Vitz (its only downfall in terms of handling is that the steering is too light and vague which is what the Vitz is as well)

3. Passo : More or less the same as the Vitz just in a Daihatsu platform. However, due to the trim level differences the Passo will be a bit more sleeker (and dare I say refined) than the Vitz.

4. Fit GP5: As the others have mentioned, is the better all rounder. So if it was my money, this is where I would put it.

Alternate: Suzuki Swift...yes the RS or the Sports would be the "funner" variants, although the RS is more or less a sports trim package as opposed to being actually sporty. Any other trim level of the JAPANESE Swift would also be a decent choice. Pretty decent performance, comfortable ride and the interior does not look or feel cheap and plasticy (like the Vitz). Stay away from the Indian variants as those are stripped down cars and have very poor safety ratings.

Now...the reality is...Toyota's in SL have a mythical brand value...so they might have inflated prices (i.e. you pay a lot ore than what the car is actually worth); and when considering resell-ability it you will hear 101 pundits telling you how much better the Toyota is. Remember, as long as the car is well taken care of and is reasonably priced even other brands sell quite easily (sometimes much easily than a Toyota).

I tried to negotiate few 2017 SWIFTs into my budget. Most of the specimens are quoted 6.5m+. Anyway overall nice package though. 

Thank you again for cleaning many of my dobuts man. 👌

10 hours ago, chan5 said:

I tried to negotiate few 2017 SWIFTs into my budget. Most of the specimens are quoted 6.5m+. Anyway overall nice package though. 

Thank you again for cleaning many of my dobuts man. 👌

Maybe you could look at the Baleno as well, think the agents sold one for around 5mil recently. There were a few 1.2l Hybrid Swifts (similar system to the Wagon R but with a bigger engine) maybe they can come into your budget.

5 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Maybe you could look at the Baleno as well, think the agents sold one for around 5mil recently.

A quick look on the quick site shows almost all Balenos well above the 6.5 mil mark :(

So where mid-size Suzuki hatchbacks are concerned, the OP's options would be beetle Swifts (Japanese ones seem to be hovering right at the upper end of the budget though).

Edited by iRage

17 hours ago, iRage said:

A quick look on the quick site shows almost all Balenos well above the 6.5 mil mark :(

So where mid-size Suzuki hatchbacks are concerned, the OP's options would be beetle Swifts (Japanese ones seem to be hovering right at the upper end of the budget though).

They are indeed at a very high price bracket. But I am sure there will be a few that will sell at lower prices like what the agents did in Nov/Dec. You cannot hold on to these unrealistic prices when less and less people are buying.

• 3 weeks later...