• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Daewoo Agent

megatron

Hey guys any idea who the agent for Daewoo in Sl is?

I doubt there's a Daewoo agent as such left anywhere in the world? Old Daewoo agent used to be located where the Damro showroom on galleroad is now (near MC). That would have been in the 90s, I forget the name of the place.

I can't remember the last time I even saw a Daewoo in Sri Lanka. They used to be very popular in blue and white as the 688688 taxi's cars. No idea where those have gone now. They used to be pretty slow, and horribly noisy for some reason (you could hear them coming 500 meters away :P) Or perhaps the taxi company would pierce the muffler to make the passengers feel like they were going faster.

"Daewoo, it's the car make for you, style performance and comfort too!"

Thus went the silly advertisement on TV long years ago...

I still see the odd Nubira and Lanos on the road (even a K reg once!), and very recently I saw an ex-police Racer. I think GNTC liquidated their Cielos and went for CK series Lancers as an upgrade.

Really? Interesting. Ah yes, it was the Daewoo Racer/Cielos that was used, was struggling to remember the model name. I guess the police bought them because they thought they were real Racers. Wonder where these old cars have gone to now.

I still see the odd Nubira and Lanos on the road (even a K reg once!), and very recently I saw an ex-police Racer. I think GNTC liquidated their Cielos and went for CK series Lancers as an upgrade.

I actually quite liked the look of the Nubira.....they were certainly better looking than the Hyundai's and the Maruti's of that period. Most of the Daewoo's have probably disappeared due to reliability issues; much like how all the American cars currently polluting the streets of Colombo will too :lol:

Edited by Kavvz

Not forgetting the Leganza with its (then) unique headlamp arrangement.

Leganza and that cute-looking Matiz were my favourites.

Those CK series Lancers were made in India by Hindustan Mitsubishi.

UMLL brought them down in 2002 because there was no 1500cc variant in CS series Lancer.

I remember in 1999, an elderly 'uncle' (who came to my grandmother's funeral) admiring / boasting about his newly bought Daewoo Leganza (301-).

He was telling us that he bought it for only Rs. 1.6 million while a similar specced Japanese car would cost more than Rs. 2 million !

Actually its Giugiaro design was way ahead compared with Japanese cars of that time. (Value for money coupled with head-turning looks.)

After 10 yrs it's sad to see how poor has Leganza's second hand market price become.

Pity that after producing "recycled" Opels and a Suzuki for ages, Daewoo Motors went bust within a few years after launching their all-new model line-up. (i.e. Leganza, Nubira, Lanos and Matiz)

Similar thing happened to a relative of us with a Dawoo Nubira, costed an engine swap within 5-6 years (though it could have been due to improper maintenance) and now is up for sale for sometime, price depreciation is huge, compared to 90s Japanese cars

Makes me wonder what kind depreciation the Micro/SSangYong SUVs are going to face 5 years down the line.

should be quite interesting to see given that there so many around now - come time to flog them.....

& then theres also the impending financial doom and gloom at SsangYong motors itself :mellow:

I remember in 1999, an elderly 'uncle' (who came to my grandmother's funeral) admiring / boasting about his newly bought Daewoo Leganza (301-).

He was telling us that he bought it for only Rs. 1.6 million while a similar specced Japanese car would cost more than Rs. 2 million !

Actually its Giugiaro design was way ahead compared with Japanese cars of that time. (Value for money coupled with head-turning looks.)

After 10 yrs it's sad to see how poor has Leganza's second hand market price become.

Pity that after producing "recycled" Opels and a Suzuki for ages, Daewoo Motors went bust within a few years after launching their all-new model line-up. (i.e. Leganza, Nubira, Lanos and Matiz)

I always thought the Daewoo Espero was quite a fetching thing :)

espero.jpg

should be quite interesting to see given that there so many around now - come time to flog them.....

& then theres also the impending financial doom and gloom at SsangYong motors itself :mellow:

oh any idea whats with the huge influx of these toyota 'smart cabs'? kohuwala seems to be flooded with them

oh any idea whats with the huge influx of these toyota 'smart cabs'?

simple, reson behind the sudden influx is the low cost of import. they fall under truck category hence low tax/duty at the point of import. reminds me of the butta van and the petrol truck phase in the past.

simple, reson behind the sudden influx is the low cost of import. they fall under truck category hence low tax/duty at the point of import. reminds me of the butta van and the petrol truck phase in the past.

that also means that they aren't technically allowed in the City or something & one is supposed to have A,A1 license to drive one correct?

that also means that they aren't technically allowed in the City or something & one is supposed to have A,A1 license to drive one correct?

Correct. but with the countries security situation ahem 'improiving' they won't have much of a trouble roaming in the city.

i know couple of guys who used to bring down landrover single, cabs that too fall under the lorry category, and made quite a buck by selling them during the height of the 4x4 mania (actually it is still at a high isnt it?)

Falling under "Light Truck" Catagory, one needs to have a B1 licence to drive them.

Anyway why they are not allowed in the City ? Or did you mean 'Restricted Zones' within Colombo as the City ? :unsure:

Edited by samishka