• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

High Speed

Bugatti

That seems to rule out 97% of motorists in Sri Lanka.

This is probably a stupid question but: what are the current limits in SL? - I gather they are 59 city, 70 HWY, unless posted otherwise - is this correct?

city limits - 35 mph = 56 kmph

outstation - 45 mph = 72kmph

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

city traffic was out in numbers yesterday.... :mellow:

Must be because of some V*P or can it be that indian actors/actress have already started arriving for the IIFA? [international Indian Film Awards]

June is going to be hectic on the roads - with maxa security. Govt. wont want a repeat of the SRK incident <_< -

btw - today was no different -saw no of cops. strange to see so many on a sunday. wonder what's up?

there was a pretty good article in the Sunday times about this. Decent read for all those interested.

http://sundaytimes.lk/100516/News/nws_17.html

A VERY interesting read actually: "One in every three bus drivers operating in the Western Province drive under the influence of ganja or marijuana, according to a survey conducted by the Private Bus Owners Association (PBOA)." No WONDER these buggers drive like they do....

there was a pretty good article in the Sunday times about this. Decent read for all those interested.

Fairly telling that the pictures used in the article feature certain types of vehicles huh? The ones that don't get nabbed for speeding, dangerous driving and what not.

The most blatant violators of the road laws are the buses and trishaw arses.

If the cops actually stopped deliberately profiling car owners, they'd definitely be making a fair amount of the unofficial 'quota' they have been assigned each month.

In general though, i'm seeing that we're headed towards more policing on our roads- the fines (whether assigned in court or by ticket) is much needed income.

I've also heard that some cars with loud exhausts/body work have been impounded of late.

Pucker up- i think there's going to be more of this!

Problem with the speed limits in SL is there is a single limit for all type of vehicles except tractors and 3wheelers. But in real world 80km\h is not a high speed for a modern car while it is very high for a lorry or bus. AFIK most of fatal accidents caused by heavy vehicles and not by cars.

Law makers are still in the 80s mind set where they consider 60km/h is a rocket speed ( thats way we have trams "hetata hete yanawa") :action-smiley-060:

IMO 80kmph is very high for a modern vehicle- if its traveling through the city with variable road conditions. Our current limits seem to be around the average mark, considering several other countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country

Problem with the speed limits in SL is there is a single limit for all type of vehicles except tractors and 3wheelers. But in real world 80km\h is not a high speed for a modern car while it is very high for a lorry or bus. AFIK most of fatal accidents caused by heavy vehicles and not by cars.

Law makers are still in the 80s mind set where they consider 60km/h is a rocket speed ( thats way we have trams "hetata hete yanawa") :action-smiley-060:

Fairly telling that the pictures used in the article feature certain types of vehicles huh? The ones that don't get nabbed for speeding, dangerous driving and what not.

And the Added Beauty is They (Bus Drivers) Smoke "Weed" and Drive.. :action-smiley-060:

Driving under the influence of ganja

One in every three bus drivers operating in the Western Province drive under the influence of ganja or marijuana, according to a survey conducted by the Private Bus Owners Association (PBOA). m

Long hours spent waiting at bus depots without work and irregular schedules are two reasons given to explain the widespread use of ganja among bus drivers and bus conductors.

According to PBOA president Gemunu Wijeyratne, most bus drivers spend hours at the depots, waiting for work, and that many of them spend their time smoking ganja, consuming alcohol, or gambling.

“It is not easy for the authorities to check these practices,” he said. “Ganja usage is hard to detect, even by the police.” Ganja usage among Western Province private transport staff is said to be highest in the Colombo, Gampaha and Kalutara Districts, and is comparatively low in the rural areas, according to Mr. Wijeyratne.

Edited by Ruslan

And also you assume that we drive with blatant disregard for law and whine when cops book us...

That is not what i assumed. Though i can see how you managed to dig that up from what i wrote i could have rephrased it better. What i'm saying is we take shortcuts when we get caught. Knowing such an option exist we tend to not to be too scared of the law as we should be. Bus and three wheel drivers who tend to break the law at their will does that knowing they do not fall under the net of the law enforcement authorities. In that scene both the category of drivers does have something in common.

machang i am very well aware of the enthusiasm and the extra effort local cops make to find extra pocket money. Taking a bribe is as equally wrong as giving a bribe. The point i'm trying to express is, it is unfair to label cops as scum and crooks when they book or try to book you for an offence you have not committed and not when you are at fault and they accept little something so you don't have to pay the whole fine or drive half way across the country to simply pick up your DL or sit through a time consuming court proceeding.

anyways...you're entitled to your opinion. But next time you quote me on something... think a bit first and not assume the entire basis for your rather lame argument!

If you read my first post careful enough you'll see that i couldn't have made it any clearer that me quoting you is not aimed at taking a stab at you but to communicate my view.

Well, you are correct about everything, even about the green color coz we have a green color one, but not the green test, we had to get it ;)

Not so correct. I do upto 50-60 mile per hour ( 80-100 kmph) in my non turbo 4dr5 regularly. Get the injectors cleaned and engine overhauled if needed. I get stopped cos its black but of course I flash my ID and get away.

Not so correct. I do upto 50-60 mile per hour ( 80-100 kmph) in my non turbo 4dr5 regularly. Get the injectors cleaned and engine overhauled if needed. I get stopped cos its black but of course I flash my ID and get away.

I didn't say you can't go that fast, but if you do, it feels like the 4 wheels will start going in 4 different directions at once. Its not a very stable vehicle. And the brakes.... lets just say there is no ABS or EDB. I dunno if you have a longer wheelbase version and thats more stable but the short wheel base... Well, its quite an adventure :)

I didn't say you can't go that fast, but if you do, it feels like the 4 wheels will start going in 4 different directions at once. Its not a very stable vehicle. And the brakes.... lets just say there is no ABS or EDB. I dunno if you have a longer wheelbase version and thats more stable but the short wheel base... Well, its quite an adventure :)

had a J44 long wheel base for a while. Not the best vehicle to drive at 80. Max I did was 90 on Colombo - Negombo road. I felt as if pistons or some inner parts of engine would come out. Reason is differential and gear ratios are optimized for hard terrain driving not freeway cruising of this model. However they have improved the speeding ability upto 120kmph in the last release of J44 in 1980's with the redesigned 4DR5 engine (51A?) with butterfly pistons. This improvement focused on the highway cruising of this model and the negative feedback it recieved on speed. All in all J44 aint a speeding vehicle and no where stable in highspeeds above 70.

Its actually 50 and 70 respectively.

Sorry to disagree VVTi-- this is Section 140 of the MTA - Motor Traffic Act

(1) A motor coach or a lorry shall not be driven-

(a) on any highway within an urban area, at a greater speed than thirty-two kilometres per hour, or

(b.) on any highway outside an urban area, at a greater speed than fifty-six kilometers. per hour.

(2) A land vehicle shall not be driven on any highway at a greater speed than twenty-four kilometers per hour.

(3) A motor tricycle or a motor tricycle, van, shall not be driven on any highway at a greater speed than thirty-two kilometers per hour,

(4) A motor vehicle of any, class or description to which subsections (1), (2) and (3) does not apply shall not be driven

(a) on any highway within art urban area at a greater speed than fifty-six kilometers per hour, or

(b.) on any highway outside an urban area at a greater speed than seventy-two kilometers per hour.

No statutory provision imposing a speed limit on motor vehicles shall apply to any vehicle on an occasion when it is being used for fire ambulance or police purposes if the of those provisions would be likely to hinder the use of the vehicle for the purpose for which it is being used On that occasion.

Edited by mirage7777

i got caught on gannoruwa road in kandy while speeding 120kmph with 2 cars and police stopped me showing the meter reading with 103kmph and other 2 cars went. what a pity isnt it? i asked wht wil happen to other 2 cars. they said 1st car has stopped and others went, nothing to do. what the hell. mates when speeding keep one in front of u and go!

Long wheel base here, but vibrates, shudders over 60+km/h & feels like would explode if we keep flooring over 80-90+km/h :unsure: Engine/Gb replaced, injectors cleaned recently for emissions test. Isn't used for long trips so we don't care :D

Edited by shanX

Long wheel base here, but vibrates, shudders over 60+km/h & feels like would explode if we keep flooring over 80-90+km/h :unsure: Engine/Gb replaced, injectors cleaned recently for emissions test. Isn't used for long trips so we don't care :D

did i hear explode? amen to that ;) What's the new engine you replaced the old one with? for this vibration issue, check both drive/prophellor shafts universal joints and also check is there any uneveness on the shafts, specially the one drives rear axle.

did i hear explode? amen to that ;) What's the new engine you replaced the old one with? for this vibration issue, check both drive/prophellor shafts universal joints and also check is there any uneveness on the shafts, specially the one drives rear axle.

Hah hah i was joking, won't explode really, but is very uncomfortable at high speeds. Just another 4DR5 engine. Hmm k thx, will check ;)

Hah hah i was joking, won't explode really, but is very uncomfortable at high speeds. Just another 4DR5 engine. Hmm k thx, will check ;)

I wan,t to replace my engine. What is the cost of 4DR5 engine?

My gurage man said Turbo engine will cost 1.5 lak is it good price?

I get stopped cos its black but of course I flash my ID and get away.

Black smoke - flash my ID and get away ? This is supposed to be a good thing ?

And we on the forum are making fun / ridiculing 3 wheelers / bus drivers ??

I guess we all do what we do.

The older 4x4 s are not really meant to cruise comfortably at 80+ mates. Even the tires are not suited.

My old Landie would have a heart attack ! Max I can do on 4th gear is about 60 Kmph ........ :rolleyes:

My other 4x4 - I just did Wilpattu and then the next week Yala , did hit 120 , but she was not happy.

But cruising happliy at 90kmph on 5th at 1800R Rpm !

12KM per litre average that trip - am a happy guy.