• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Fb15 New Shell Vs Carrina Ti Myroad

sadamal

i am trying to help and you are trying to learn from it so you are not bothering me. :)

the purpose of illumination dashboard is to give a more visibility of dash board

why don't you test drive both cars then you can feel the difference and also see how different the two interios are. You can then move forward.

both cars are good,both have good resale value,both are Japanese motor giant made,and give almost equal fuel figures.

so take a test drive as mentioned,but do no only do it for the driver alone,concentrate on the passengers too,so take one of your friend/gf and make them sit behind while you do your test and see which is comfortable too.

im sure the carina would be more comfy!

do your research wisely and go for the buy,

good luck

both cars are good,both have good resale value,both are Japanese motor giant made,and give almost equal fuel figures.

so take a test drive as mentioned,but do no only do it for the driver alone,concentrate on the passengers too,so take one of your friend/gf and make them sit behind while you do your test and see which is comfortable too.

im sure the carina would be more comfy!

do your research wisely and go for the buy,

good luck

i couldn't have put it better riddle :action-smiley-033:

Edited by nexus

• 4 years later...

Hi Mates

After going through all the related topics here in Autolanka thought to go for a Carina ( over FB 15). Went to see several cars in past few weeks and owners asking around Rs. 2 - 2.2 million ( manufactured in 2000) but for the same price I can go for a fairly newer (2000 onward) FB 15 with good interior/exterior than Carina. So I am kind of a stuck in the middle and do you guys really think its better to go for a Carina over FB 15?

(This will be my first car)

Thank you in advance.

Hi Mates

After going through all the related topics here in Autolanka thought to go for a Carina ( over FB 15). Went to see several cars in past few weeks and owners asking around Rs. 2 - 2.2 million ( manufactured in 2000) but for the same price I can go for a fairly newer (2000 onward) FB 15 with good interior/exterior than Carina. So I am kind of a stuck in the middle and do you guys really think its better to go for a Carina over FB 15?

(This will be my first car)

Thank you in advance.

The FB15 and the Carina are not the same class of car. The Carina is a grade above.

I think the one you go for should depend more on the quality of the example you find rather than the model. You should aim to find a car in excellent condition and verifiable service history.

The Carina does have a better ride, but the FB15 is a slightly newer model.

But since both are now older than a decade you should concentrate on the quality of the example more, as that will lead to less head aches owning the car, which is important since this is your first car.

The FB15 and the Carina are not the same class of car. The Carina is a grade above.

I think the one you go for should depend more on the quality of the example you find rather than the model. You should aim to find a car in excellent condition and verifiable service history.

The Carina does have a better ride, but the FB15 is a slightly newer model.

But since both are now older than a decade you should concentrate on the quality of the example more, as that will lead to less head aches owning the car, which is important since this is your first car.

truth has spoken :sport-smiley-003: , Carina TI My road would be my choice, but you should consider what DON has stated, all these cars now older, i took the bait of buying a 97 car as my first car, there were several points that i might have gave up on her , but rather i fell more towards her , speaking of Carinas, there are plenty of threads, which have discussed about the respective 3 trim levels TI,GT and SI. Good luck mate :)

Edited by tuner88
  • Like 1

I have owned both these cars. The Carina is more comfortable and roomy, the FB15 is more stylish in both interior and exterior. Fuel Economy Carina 1.5 Ti Auto will do slightly better than FB15 1.5 Auto. Maintenance cost will be roughly same on both. Both are solid cars, if you choose a good car you cant go wrong with either. But if I were you I will go for the carina even if its older.

• Like 1

I would recommend a Carina hands down chiefly of which being my 1st car and one that i managed to build up on from scratch... but do try to find a good car from the lot out there n u wont go wrong. mostly the well kept once will go time to time but most won't. Have driven the Si and owned a GT plus the diesel Carina in our office has clocked almost 300,000km but its high time for her to get a new build.

• Like 1

Mates,

Thank you very much for your valuable advices. As you guys suggest I will give priority to find well maintained one not considering the model that much. Truly speaking I am also more fond toward Carina and driving condition is much better than FB15. ( Did a test drive both Carina and FB 15 - Carina SI manual is really nice to drive). Preferred manual car but it is hard to find well maintained manual than auto.

The Don, Tuner88 and Reckless Thank you very much for your time and valuable information/ advices. Really appreciated and truly valuable for selecting my first car.

Muditha420 Thank you very much. I have gone through your Carina GT rebuilt project and its awesome and very informative.

Will wait some more time patiently searching for a good specimen and hope to update you guys with my new ride soon. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mates,

Still looking for a good Carina.

Is Carina SI (1800 cc) automatic (2000 made) a good option ? How about the spare part availability and price ? (Since the car is almost 15 years old this might be a vital factor)

I am thinking to keep the car at least 2 years.

Thank you

Guys,

What are the additional features of the full option Carina SI (automatic) compared to the base model (same SI model) ?

Is there any option called heated side mirrors or something ?

I saw some having rear wiper. Is it also a optional thing ?

Basically how to identify whether the car is full option or not ?

Please help.

You might wanna read this thread:

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/11575-at210-carina-gt-si-and-ti-myroad/

There is some varient called Si G selection, I have no idea how to find that. Basically if it has the illuminated dashboard cluster, 3 rear head rests and Climate control A/C it should be a full option. frankly Im not sure if there is a Si basic model without climate control and such. and not all Si has the rear wiper it seems http://specs.cars-directory.net/toyota/carina/1.8_Si_G_selection_25221.html

With dealer packages, promos, etc...The options and its combinations can be too much to list. I am sure someone else eould give you another set of features claiming those as standard or factory original. My suggestion is as follows:

1. You can go to the archived catalog section of the Toyota Japan site or the Catalog thread in the forums and download the catalog.

2. See what the basic manufacturer features and accessories seem to be. (okay, I am being mean here since u will need to read japanese for that butonce u find the litereture I am sure you can find help even online).

3. When u r car shopping consider anything extra than what you gound in 2. as extra icing on the cake.

This ehole notionof 'full option' should have been left back in the 80s when these japanese eco boxes had only the selection of a few options like PM/PW/etc. Since perhaps early/mid 90s even japanese cars started offering additional options that the combinations are greater. Also u will realise that you can't get a car with ALL the options the manufacturer offers for a particular model to make a car FULL of ALL OPTIONS (which was the notion for the term in the 80s). Inclusion of some options may require the ommission of another. Also some options are completely useless for SL

Sorry for the rant...just don't let car sellers extort money for stupid crap by using terms like 'full option'.

Thank you. I am not that worried if the difference is about 1-2 km/L.

Can you guys give some advice about the spares availability (reconditioned) ?

Guys,

What are the additional features of the full option Carina SI (automatic) compared to the base model (same SI model) ?

Is there any option called heated side mirrors or something ?

I saw some having rear wiper. Is it also a optional thing ?

Basically how to identify whether the car is full option or not ?

Please help.

Hi,

I am driving a Carina SI (1800cc - 1999 auto) which is my first car as well. The spare parts are not hard to find except for this one instance where I had to wait for 3 months to find a replacement for a overheated sensor connected to the 7A-FE engine, which is not common compared with the 5A-FE engine of Carina TI. However, my mechanic was able to find it himself after few trips to Delkanda! Apart from that, I never had to wait for more than 1 day to find the spares at pretty decent prices.

Not all Carina SI come with the rear wiper (my one doesn't as well) but I've seen some. The fuel consumption is around 8.5 - 9 km/l during heavy city traffic and with mild city traffic it reaches over 9.5 km/l. I haven't had an experience with it on the highway yet but in outstation driving it does around 13-14 km/l.

In summary it is a reliable, comfortable and a roomy car (also the TI). The job for you is to find a decently maintained one since it is more than a decade old. In fact I had to go in search for a well maintained one for over two months but once I found it, it's worth the effort I had to put in. All in all, in a market where 10 year old cars have hectic asking prices, a well maintained Carina SI/TI is worth the 2-2.2m in my opinion.

Guys,

Thank you for your valuable advices and precious time. Went to see several cars (FB 15 and Carinas) and found good condition FB-15 Ex saloon (new shell). Like the car and decide to go for it.

Really appreciate your support for buying my first car.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Mates,

Story in short.

I did not buy that EX saloon car. It inspected by my relation (who knows about cars) and told lot of drawback. Gave up the idea.

Then again searching phase started and found very carefully used FB 15 Super saloon. My relation told that it is well worth. So closed the deal and brought it to the home. I am very mush satisfied about the car.

Thank you very much guys for valuable advices and specially The Don. What you have told is 100 % applicable when buying a used vehicle.

@ Reckless - Yep sure. Will upload some pics.

Edited by Thilina007