• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Triumph T R Restore Project

MasterDon

I mean considering her age, not bad IMHAO

Yeah but the internals are all new or repaired no,So i'm not surprised how smoothly its running.its basically a new engine.Only the block itself and a few other parts of it are actually from 1954.

Edited by MasterDon

Malith- thanks!Yes Rimmer bros 'items are sometimes far cheaper than Moss.I have even got down some parts from them when I was doing up the yellow MG but I have a long history with the Moss guys and sometimes they give me good discounts.But I wouldn't reccomend their buffers.The front buffer I got a year ago is starting rust up already.Thanks for the SU carb link,might come in handy.

Yes the Moss front bumper we got for our A has also started to rust now (although this is after almost 8-10 years).

I also forgot to mention if you are looking for gauges and instruments try:

http://www.caigauge.com/ - These guys manufacture Smiths stuff and still supply places like Morgan Cars

http://www.thegaugeshop.com

Edited by maliths

Congratulations MD!! She sounds superb and does seem to be running smoothly as well...

We really need to head over to your place for Beer and Jumbo jollies lol....

I am free this Sunday... :)

That engine sure sounds like it gives a roar even when it's idling. Great job on putting it back together MD!

Maybe I missed something, but any particular reason as to why you thought of assembling it without painting and deciding to take it all apart again for the paint job?

Yes the Moss front bumper we got for our A has also started to rust now (although this is after almost 8-10 years).

I also forgot to mention if you are looking for gauges and instruments try:

http://www.caigauge.com/ - These guys manufacture Smiths stuff and still supply places like Morgan Cars

http://www.thegaugeshop.com

Thanks for the link malith.I may need because I'm missing the oil pressure guage.It's quite rare.Its the one with the domed glass facia...

That engine sure sounds like it gives a roar even when it's idling. Great job on putting it back together MD!

Maybe I missed something, but any particular reason as to why you thought of assembling it without painting and deciding to take it all apart again for the paint job?

When you're rebuilding an engine like that has 60 year old technology and components there's no guarentee that all will work perfectly in he end.Its sort of a trial and error thing.There are hundreds of things that could have gone wrong,For example this engine has wet liners and if they haven't been seated properly water will leak through in to the sump needing another rebuild and there are other issues regarding the crank oil seal etc etc.It's better to assemble it first and see if everything is working perfectly and then apply the paint.After the water pump repair we will run it on life support for two weeks at various rev ranges.And only if we're satisfied by then the heat paint will go on.Frankly I wouldn't recommend it being done any other way.

• Like 2

When you're rebuilding an engine like that has 60 year old technology and components there's no guarentee that all will work perfectly in he end.Its sort of a trial and error thing.There are hundreds of things that could have gone wrong,For example this engine has wet liners and if they haven't been seated properly water will leak through in to the sump needing another rebuild and there are other issues regarding the crank oil seal etc etc.It's better to assemble it first and see if everything is working perfectly and then apply the paint.After the water pump repair we will run it on life support for two weeks at various rev ranges.And only if we're satisfied by then the heat paint will go on.Frankly I wouldn't recommend it being done any other way.

I thought as much, but wanted to know about the exact reasons and chances for it needing to be taken apart again. Thanks for the explanation!

Hi MD not sure if anyone's asked already but any target dates set?

No set date as yet,as you know well these things go well beyond estimated completion times.But another 9-10 months should be enough I guess.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A sneak peek of my next project... :D

89soK.jpg

WHOA! now this is a whole new level.. :)

Thanks people,more on that later...Now on with the topic

The Radiator

OpRvI.jpg

The old radiator core is pretty much unusable So I had it replaced with a new copper one.Copper is a bit expensive but it is worth it especially on a car that is prone to overheating.And also if you look closely at the above picture you'll notice square shaped hole in the middle of the core.That is to let the crank starter handle through,yes it goes through the radiator!Wonderful design by the sudda fellows...Not!

For those of you who don't know what hand crank starting is,I've added a Youtube link below...lol checkout the accent,stupid indians! :lol:

I decided to to do away with the crank hole because I'll be using the electric starter most of the time and also the extra cooling will help the engine to manage the heat.

Along with the core they patched up a couple of leaks on the top and bottom tanks and installed a new drain tap.For now I'll be using the original 4 blade steel radiator fan but a Kenlowe 12 blade 13" fan kit is on the way.Oh and the tanks will be applied with heat paint.

oAhD0.jpg

OtKWI.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...