• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Vehicle Registration Series To Be Introduced

Crosswind

Source: Daily Mirror

http://www.dailymirror.lk/news/20909-new-vehicle-registration-series-to-be-introduced.html

The Department of Motor Traffic is to introduce a new vehicle registration, combination with three English letters for three-wheelers, Commissioner General of Motor Traffic S. H. Harischandra said.

The Department replaced the first vehicle registrations – the ‘Sri’ series, with ‘dash’ series – with two English letter series and will now introduce the three letter series, the Commissioner further said.

Three-wheelers will be issued these new registration numbers till the current two-letter registration ends, he said.

Since August 1 2000 to June 30, 2012 the department had issued 3,046,008 vehicles with the English letter series.

With the introducing of the new letter series the department can issue 6.4 million registration numbers and the number issuing process could be conducted on a long term process. Also the identification of the numbers will be easy, he said.

“As soon as the current two English letter numbering process is over they will introduce the new method to the other vehicles,” he further said.

The fee for the registrations will be the same. (ISA)

• Like 2

Just for the curiosity, what type of three numbers it would be? I mean for cars,jeeps etc?

Well, the common sense solution would be to start from the top. Example Cars start with KA0001 and so forth, so once KZ9999 has been issues you come back to KAA-0001, then KAB and so on.. this will give you enough numbers to last a long long time. I was just drawing a parallel to another country and it just seems like common sense; sadly common sense is a rare comodity amung those running things in the counry...

Hope we will see funny numbers soon...

SAD-XXXX , MAD-XXXX , FAT-XXXX , CAT-XXXX , DOG-XXXXX , PIG-XXXXX.....

Anyway this is good option and they could have thought this in year 2000 when convert to English numbers. Then they could have arranged it better way.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Here's a glimpse of an ad from the future:)

Toyota Axio 2011/2013, HID-Limited, Highest Grade, Like Brand-new, Seat Covers, Low Mileage 2000km, 15km/litre, three-letter number plate. 8 Million. 0777 010 010.

ha ha ha... Exactly machan... and its no seat covers bro,, its Sheet covers... :) :)

• Like 1

its not just 3 letter words... I see a lot of giggles at FCK, FUK, FUC, CNT or something that even sounds remotely sounds like something sick... I know, i have a sick mind.. so the RMV will need to have to hire someone like me to make sure this doesnt happen :P

• Like 2

its not just 3 letter words... I see a lot of giggles at FCK, FUK, FUC, CNT or something that even sounds remotely sounds like something sick...

I was thinking the same thing actually... three letters can create some nasty words or stuff that look like nasty words at a glance. :D

On the other hand, there could be some cool ones as well. Imagine BMW, CBR, TRD, HRV, CRV, MMC and so on on the right vehicles... i.e. a BMW 320D with the plates BMW - 0320 would be nice. :)

• Like 3