• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Better 161

sathyajithj99

Question

22 answers to this question

Please I need to know, I am going to buy one of them.With previous experience of 141, I thought of going for axio but corolla altis looks irresistable. So help me with details you have.

Edited by sathyajithj99

The only 161 available is the Toyota Corolla Axio. The new Corolla for international markets goes as 170. It is significantly larger, has bigger engines and looks better than the 161. 161 is probably more fuel efficient.

• Like 1

I don't think the 170 is made in any of the Japanese plants....from what I have "read" so far it is manufactured in Thailand, Taiwan, China (as FAW-Toyota), Brazil and the US....but there might be more that I am not aware of...

In simple words, there's nothing called Toyota Corolla 161. Only Toyota Axio 161 exists.

There's something called Toyota Corolla 170, WHICH IS NOT OFFERED IN SRI LANKA. It seems to be a different vehicle altogether and has no resemblace to Axio

What is offered in Sri Lanka are Toyota Corolla 141, made in Japan and Toyota Corolla Altis 141 made in Pakistan for government sector.

In simple words, YOU CANT BUT A 170 SERIES COROLLA IN SRI LANKA at present.

But yesterday on sirasa auto vision ,toyota lanka introduced new corolla 2014. It was better looking and had much more options than axio 161. They didn't mention the manufacturing country.If it is made in Thailand,is it ok to buy it?

Edited by sathyajithj99

That' s not true. I only like Japanese toyota. Others are not good on fuel even they look fabulous.

Fabuslous as in sissy boy fabulous?

Anyways, what are your deciding factors? Fuel economy, comfort, space etc? If you specify what aspects you're comparing, you might get better responses. So far we've established that it must be a Japanese Toyota..OK, what else are you looking for?

But yesterday on sirasa auto vision ,toyota lanka introduced new corolla 2014. It was better looking and had much more options than axio 161. They didn't mention the manufacturing country.If it is made in Thailand,is it ok to buy it?

Toyota has already launched the 2014 Corolla in Sri Lanka, well before it appeared on the sirasa freak show. The model is the E170 generation that they make for global markets. It has a 1.6 litre engine and a 4 speed automatic, much like the 141 (Other, larger engines are available in global markets like 1.8's, 2/0s and 2.5s). No E170 model is built in Japan, they are built in several locations in the global Toyota plant network, we probably get them from Thailand.

The E170 is a significantly different car to the new Axio that is sold in japan (E161) which is smaller in all dimensions to fit within Japanese tax restrictions. They all have CVT transmissions for the Auto models (pretty much every example that will get here basically), the same engines as the previous generation (1.3, 1.5 and 1.8) and there is a Hybrid as well.

If you want economy, buy the 161. Thats it really.

I find it interesting you give prominence to the warranty period and not necessarily the warranty itself. It doesn't mean anything if you get a 100 year warranty if it doesn't cover anything worthwhile or even if it gets honored at all...

Having said that since the Axio is a JDM model and is a grey import the only warranty you are going to get is whatever some car salesman (who don't usually have a good rep) tells you that he will give when he is convincing you to buy the car. Which may or may not be honored and even if he does honor the warranty there is no guarantee as to where the parts come from or how/what the repairs will be done. The Axio's warranty which is in Japan does not get transferred over to Toyota Lanka ! (Usually Japanese manufacturers' dealerships give out parts on warranty only to authorized service centers/garages in Japan and subsidiaries/partners of these garages; if not they require you to give them the car...)

On the other hand the brand new Corolla you would buy from TL would come with a direct MANUFACTURER's warranty. Which is miles apart from what an independent car sales guy would give you. If something is a miss you can always make an official complaint with Toyota as well. So the brand new path maybe much more "reliable" if you need the warranty.

Options wise...well only you can decide on that. Besides the options can vary a lot depending on grade, etc...so get a hold of an options sheet and do a comparison and see whether you find it worth your time and money.

For curiosity, how much bhp are you expecting ? ...and what would you expect to gain by these additional BHPs (why)?

You typically do not buy a Corolla thinking of BHP as... well...lets say Corollas have never been known for BHP even within its class.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1