• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Used Vs. New

Luckyj

Question

Dear Members & Experts,

With a budget in & around Rs. 3 M [max 3.3 M], currently I'm evaluating following 02 options.

1] Go for a new Toyota Aqua Hybrid. probably a S grade.

2] Go for a used Toyota Allion/Axio or a Honda Civic [FD4/FD3].

Personally I prefer a big car like Allion or a Civic, considering the space & smooth driving. However some says to go for new vehicle rather than buying a used vehicle which is 7-8 years old. Yes, Aqua seems to be descent vehicle and been a hybrid, will return good mileage on fuel. Meantime I heard Axio also does well on fuel, 10 -12 km city & 15-16 km outstation. Some recommend Corolla 121, but with exaggerated pricing and been 10-12 years old; it's out of the picture I guess.

I intend to use the next buy for minimum 3-4 years and current average use per week is around 100 km [currently we use a Toyota Soluna], however expecting it to increase for 200 - 300 km from next year.

Appreciate your suggestions & recommendations.

• Like 1

Well, Luckyj I think you are refering to allion 260 but you won't get one in your price range (max 3.3M) a descent one would cost around 3.8 M. But on the other hand a 2007 allion 240 anniversary models would be available (but hard to find) within your range. 240 is not as good as 260 on fuel as well.

The other two cars ,axio & civic(registered ) are within your price range. I personally own an axio and it is true that it is good on fuel, but i'm not happy with handling of it in high speeds. If you buy one make sure to find a G grade which has lot more options than X (which doesn't have even a RPM meter) and there won't be much price difference as you buy them brand new. Civic is spacious than axio and comfortable too. But fuel economy is not as good as axio.

I suggest you buy a good and spacious sedan like allion,axio or civic than buying an aqua. They might be 7-8 years old but they are trustworthy if you find a decently used one.

Thanks Sathyajith for your reply.

Personally I know, if you can buy the vehicle from a genuine user who has driven it for minimum 2-3 years [not from a bayya], it'll definitely give good results. We are the 3rd owners of our current Soluna, and 2 previous owners have used it like a baby. And for the last 03 years it didn't give us any big trouble except few minor repairs, which is I guess a normal thing for a car manufactured in year 2000 :prankster: .

I highly prefer a Honda Civic :tender: . As you mentioned also, many say it doesn't deliver good fuel efficiency. I searched forum on Civics [FD1/FD4], some says it delivers 6-7 km in city & 11-12 km in outstation :unsure: . But again different people say different things, and some says FD4 [1600 CC] has fuel efficiency of 9-10 km in city & outstation 14-15 km.

Axio with a fuel efficency of 10 -12 km city & 15-16 km outstation, seems to be prety desecent.

Civic fuel consumption if you are interested:

FD1/FD4 - 7-9kmpl average

FD3 (hybrid) - 16kmpl average (mixed city driving, incl. Colombo traffic), 22-24kmpl highway. I personally use one.

if you are running less than 1500km per month, i'd suggest you go for FD1 or FD4.

If you are running high miles, FD3 would come in handy. You can actually buy a Fd3 with a bad hybrid battery for as low as 2.7 million. Then spend 0.5 million to install a brand new hybrid battery and it should run pretty good for 4-5 years minimum. Either way, if you are not running high miles or mostly driving in city traffic, FD1/FD4 is the best choice.

As for the Axio, my dad owns a 2007 X grade. According to him it only does 11-12kmpl for his driving style. I dont know if its something wrong with the vehicle but we've done pretty much everything including tuneups.

No experience on the Allion.

Edited by ramishkad

If you are concerned about fuel go for a 2012/13 Aqua, because it looks like you will be running some good kms per a month. I have not personally driven a aqua but many say that its quite comfortable, maybe not as much as an axio, allion or a civic, but descent for its size. But ground clearance, rear passenger room and luggage space will be less. It will be a newer car than the others so repairs would be minimal, you will be able to run it without any major issues for at least another 5 years. Anyway it all depends on your requirements and preferences. Test drive some cars on your list and see.

• Like 1

FD3 (hybrid) - 16kmpl average (mixed city driving, incl. Colombo traffic), 22-24kmpl highway. I personally use one.

if you are running less than 1500km per month, i'd suggest you go for FD1 or FD4.

If you are running high miles, FD3 would come in handy. You can actually buy a Fd3 with a bad hybrid battery for as low as 2.7 million. Then spend 0.5 million to install a brand new hybrid battery and it should run pretty good for 4-5 years minimum. Either way, if you are not running high miles or mostly driving in city traffic, FD1/FD4 is the best choice.

As for the Axio, my dad owns a 2007 X grade. According to him it only does 11-12kmpl for his driving style. I dont know if its something wrong with the vehicle but we've done pretty much everything including tuneups.

No experience on the Allion.

Dude, I think there is really something wrong with driving style of your dad or may be in the car. Last week I went from Nugegoda to Anuradhapura and came back on the same day, almost covered 400km and guess what? it only cost me petrol of 3500/= ( I used the Katunayaka highway only when I was coming back) So I did the calculations and it was 17.9kmpl

Edited by sathyajithj99

If you can spend around 4 mn axio hybrid is a good choice very good fuel consumption average 27km per ltr
If you are concerned about fuel go for a 2012/13 Aqua, because it looks like you will be running some good kms per a month. I have not personally driven a aqua but many say that its quite comfortable, maybe not as much as an axio, allion or a civic, but descent for its size. But ground clearance, rear passenger room and luggage space will be less. It will be a newer car than the others so repairs would be minimal, you will be able to run it without any major issues for at least another 5 years. Anyway it all depends on your requirements and preferences. Test drive some cars on your list and see.

Reckless - True, in future fuel ll be a concern. At the moment it's not a big worry for me as monthly usage is only around 500-600 km. Our Soluna produce average 9 km in city & 13 km outstation. But with my future arrangements & monthly 1500 km + mileage, yes it'll be something to think of :excl: .

tcfern1 - Thanks for the suggestion mate. I would love to go for a Hybrid sedan. Unfortunately my budget is max 3.3 M :sad-smiley-050: . I can add another 2-3 laks, but I don't want to do that. Beacause if something urgent/critical happens, I'll be totally helpless :sport-smiley-027:

• Like 1

Unfortunately my budget is max 3.3 M :sad-smiley-050: . I can add another 2-3 laks, but I don't want to do that. Beacause if something urgent/critical happens, I'll be totally helpless :sport-smiley-027:

Yes you need to keep at least 100k aside when buying an older car. Axio, Civic and allion are reliable cars but you'll never know when something breaks down. Recently I bought an allion 260, car was in very good condition, but after running for a few weeks the AC compressor packed up and a slight vibration appeared due to engine mount problems, so I had to replace the compressor and the main mount costing me 50k, so even if the car is relatively new you'll never know what will happen. Best to be prepared for anything, don’t throw away every thing you have on the car.

• Like 2

Dear Members & Experts,

With a budget in & around Rs. 3 M [max 3.3 M], currently I'm evaluating following 02 options.

1] Go for a new Toyota Aqua Hybrid. probably a S grade.

2] Go for a used Toyota Allion/Axio or a Honda Civic [FD4/FD3].

Personally I prefer a big car like Allion or a Civic, considering the space & smooth driving. However some says to go for new vehicle rather than buying a used vehicle which is 7-8 years old. Yes, Aqua seems to be descent vehicle and been a hybrid, will return good mileage on fuel. Meantime I heard Axio also does well on fuel, 10 -12 km city & 15-16 km outstation. Some recommend Corolla 121, but with exaggerated pricing and been 10-12 years old; it's out of the picture I guess.

I intend to use the next buy for minimum 3-4 years and current average use per week is around 100 km [currently we use a Toyota Soluna], however expecting it to increase for 200 - 300 km from next year.

Appreciate your suggestions & recommendations.

You seem want a comparatively new car, which is a sedan, which has got market, which may be JDM & most importantly fuel efficient.

I suggest you 2008, 1300cc Toyota Belta which got CVT-i gear box.

which satisfies all above requirements!

You will be blessed with your decision.

ramishkad - FD3s manufactured before 2012 are equipped with a 1330CC engine, right? Does it make the big car underperforming? And how about its maintenance? Does Stafford motors good enough to care them and any outside maintenance experts?

You seem want a comparatively new car, which is a sedan, which has got market, which may be JDM & most importantly fuel efficient.

I suggest you 2008, 1300cc Toyota Belta which got CVT-i gear box.

which satisfies all above requirements!

You will be blessed with your decision.

May I know why don't allion & axio satisfy those requirements? He has clearly stated them within his options. So is there any reason to bring Belta into this when you already have a choice?

May I know why don't allion & axio satisfy those requirements? He has clearly stated them within his options. So is there any reason to bring Belta into this when you already have a choice?

Allion for this budget is more than 10 years old & now has taken works like a cow. So does 121 too.

Axio vs Belta is the fight. But personally Belta got the look & Min. in city 12 km/ & out claimed to be around 17

Allion for this budget is more than 10 years old & now has taken works like a cow. So does 121 too.

Axio vs Belta is the fight. But personally Belta got the look & Min. in city 12 km/ & out claimed to be around 17

You have stated that correctly dude. "personally" So the look of the car is quite personal. Belta would look better to you ,but for someone axio would look better (personally I like the looks of axio than belta :smilie_liebe9: ) So it is upto Luckyj to choose the better looking car for him.

The fuel consumption of the axio is roughly the same what you've mentioned but on long runs axio would do better with its 1.5 L engine. It is true you can save a few lacks if you buy a belta over axio but I have driven both these cars and find belta is a bit underpowered on hilly roads with its 1.3L engine.

ramishkad - FD3s manufactured before 2012 are equipped with a 1330CC engine, right? Does it make the big car underperforming? And how about its maintenance? Does Stafford motors good enough to care them and any outside maintenance experts?

Yes the 8th generation Civic hybrids are equipped with a 1330cc engine which only gives 93hp or something. But it's paired with an electric motor run by the hybrid battery so altogether it has 110hp available. When the electric motor is assisting, it wont feel under-powered (but still it wont be as powerful as an 1800cc FD1). One scenario it can feel underpowered is when the hybrid battery is bad and does not hold enough charge to give frequent assists using the electric motor. Even then the car would run, but you'd notice a drag. When the charge level re calibrates and goes up, it will start assisting again.But when the battery is bad, the charge/recharge cycles will be more frequent. If the battery is good, you dont have to worry about it being underpowered.

As for maintenance, there is nothing special to be done. But oil changes need to be timely (especially the CVT oil, best practice is to change it at least every 15000km). And you have to use genuine Hondai oils. Stafford knows enough to do the maintenance. I personally go to a technician in Kandy who seem to have better knowledge than Stafford (esp about battery/engine/motor software updates and stuff).

Well considering posts up to now, most of you suggesting to go for a sedan rather than an aqua. hmm, even my heart also prefers a sedan :smilie_liebe9:

Considering both fuel efficiency & comfort, seems to be Axio is the front runner for my budget. Hopefully I'll be able to find a descent Axio [probably YOM 2007-09], with in my budget.

But I haven't give up on a Honda Civic as well :give_rose:

Well, Luckyj I think you are refering to allion 260 but you won't get one in your price range (max 3.3M) a descent one would cost around 3.8 M. But on the other hand a 2007 allion 240 anniversary models would be available (but hard to find) within your range. 240 is not as good as 260 on fuel as well.

The other two cars ,axio & civic(registered ) are within your price range. I personally own an axio and it is true that it is good on fuel, but i'm not happy with handling of it in high speeds. If you buy one make sure to find a G grade which has lot more options than X (which doesn't have even a RPM meter) and there won't be much price difference as you buy them brand new. Civic is spacious than axio and comfortable too. But fuel economy is not as good as axio.

I suggest you buy a good and spacious sedan like allion,axio or civic than buying an aqua. They might be 7-8 years old but they are trustworthy if you find a decently used one.

Apart from the purplish paint is there anything else special about it?

Apart from the purplish paint is there anything else special about it?

Actually there is not much to say Magnum except for some changes in the appearance. For the first time HID scoop headlights were introduced to Allion in this 2007 anniversary model. I just mentioned it because 260 model was not in his price range so in case if Luckyj needs an allion which is only 7-8 years old and within his price range it is an option.

I found a photo which would match this thread. Actually it was taken by me in a car park. My axio is there too. :sport-smiley-004: Sorry for the size of the image.

Edited by sathyajithj99

Actually there is not much to say Magnum except for some changes in the appearance. For the first time HID scoop headlights were introduced to Allion in this 2007 anniversary model. I just mentioned it because 260 model was not in his price range so in case if Luckyj needs an allion which is only 7-8 years old and within his price range it is an option.

I found a photo which would match this thread. Actually it was taken by me in a car park. My axio is there too. :sport-smiley-004: Sorry for the size of the image.

attachicon.gifteam knight riders_001_001.jpg

TBH i would go for a G grade 141 than an Allion 240, they are pretty much the same size. The 141 has bit more features like multi function steering wheel

Aquas interior space is very limited and the ground clearance is low.its look is also not that much attractive

But the only point is you can buy a brandnew car if you go for aqua

Aqua's are not brand new. If you want a brand new car you will need to go for the Prius S, and buy it directly from Toyota Lanka.

Ramishka - Will there be a big difference between FD1 & FD4? looking at your details I guess its FD1 - 7 km & FD4 - 9 km and both figures for driving in city.