• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

(Decided) What To Buy - Opinions Appreciated

Supra_Natural

What to Buy?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. You suggest....

• Grand Vitara
    • X1
    • Mazda 6
    • Premio
    • Prius
    • Vesi
    • Kias
    • C Class
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Question

I've already had this chat with some of you chaps offline but I figured I would throw the question open to the AL hive mind as well and see what comes up.

After a solid 4 years of reliable service it's time to bid adios to our much loved Civic FD4. Total budget for a replacement is an absolute maximum of 5.6 Million and it will be used as a daily driver by the household (driven by a driver mostly) which means it will basically be in town traffic a lot and endure lots of stop starts and such.

The major priority to be honest is a car that will be pretty reliable with minimal unexpected problems cropping up I don't mind figuring out how to fix a car and getting it done but this can't be a rolling project as my hands are full enough with those :) . So something made within the last 4 years or so is where the focus lies as the .

Fuel economy is not a major concern but it can't be on a level that will cause thel hingannas to have coronaries either as I already have something in the stable that does that part quite well. So something that does around 7-8 in town is all right. Oh yeah, needs to be automatic as well and it would be a bonus if it is at least somewhat fun to drive (this is not essential though). Saloons or SUV/Crossovers preferred and I want something that has side and curtain airbags and all modern safety kit ideally.

Will look to keep it for four years or so and it would be nice if it retains some value at the end of that.

So now you have the background, let's meet the contenders.

2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara - 5.56 Million brand new ex stock at the agents.

Pros - 4 year/80K warranty, it's brand new, these are rugged and fairly solid trucks

Cons - Model is ancient/being replaced this year, 4WD not available, only two airbags, bit of a truck really, likely to depreciate heavily.

2011 BMW X1 S Drive 18i petrol - Approx 5 mill from BMW pre-owned. 41k on the clock - One specific vehicle in this case

Pros - Nice to drive, much better kit list than the average X1, versatile, basic N4x series petrol engine said to be better long term than the diesels, all the safety kit.

Cons - Inspection report highlighted quite a lot of repairs needed included a leaking power steering, owner has agreed to cover the cost of getting it done at the agents but I feel that is likely to be only the start.

2013 Mazda 6 2.0 - Going rate seems to be the 5.5 million range.

Pros - Looks good, comfy, fun to drive, surprisingly economical, should be reliable, will have about 1 year of agents warranty left.

Cons - Hard to find as owners hang on to them - there are only two cars on the market right now and owners are both doctors so they are being very stubborn on their price (5.7 and 5.8 in both cases - since their is a transfer tax i need to take that into account), Not 100% sure about the long term reliability of the SkyActiv tech.

2013 Toyota Premio - 5-5.5 Mill

Pros - Probably will be trouble free over the four years, comfy, economical, will be worth something when it's time to sell, surprisingly OK drive, simple to maintain.

Cons - Not exactly an exciting choice, Model will be replaced soon, Weirdly old tech in some areas (Like rear drum brakes)

2010 Mercedes Benz C Class - 5.5-6 Mill

Pros - Seems to be back to old school form for Merc in terms of quality, decent drive, comfortable, solid.

Cons - Not sure how it will hold up over the next 4 years, Going prices are somewhat higher than budget.

2014 Toyota Prius - Prices vary but there seem to be unreg choices in the 5-5.5 range

Pros - It's a Prius

Cons - It's a Prius

Annd the final choice (the one I would really rather avoid)

2013/2014 Honda Vesi Vezel - Seem to be available between 5 and 5.5

Pros - It's actually an fairly ok little crossover, nice interior, quite economical

Cons - It's a Vezel.

So there you have it, those are what I've looked at, let me know what you think and any other options I may have missed.

Cheers

Edited by Supra_Natural

BTW I just noticed PREMIO on this thread... since when did u become a redi mudalali????

If you buy a Prius or a Premio, I will buy a Leyland bus just to knock you off the road...

Its a mommy mobile machang. I think Supra himself will stick to his trusty Hilux with occasional bashes with the Jag :)

The Grace does appear to be rather interesting, must check it out also. I'm wondering whether it will have less space than the Civic FD inside though.

Not sure how it is compared to the FD but its not bad. also its 4WD

I have a little issue commenting here, because when it comes to Euros my experiences with them seem to be completely different to the SL experience. When it comes to BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz the Diesels are by far the most reliable, and this is not hear say. This is personal experience gained from helping to maintain friends cars. The Mercedes Benz C class in particular is very reliable, and have never needed other than standard servicing.

But I hear the engines seem to die prematurely in SL.... So I'm a bit twisted. I would have whole heartedly recommended the C220D or even the C200

But in an SL context I guess the Mazda 6 satisfies both the being interesting factor, the decent handling factor and the (hopefully) reliability factor. What I wonder is body part factor (I hope your driver is a careful driver), lack of availability driving up prices. It also seems like though you are buying a used car, initial deppreciation hasn't quite set in properly due to the availability factor.

The Grace does appear to be rather interesting, must check it out also. I'm wondering whether it will have less space than the Civic FD inside though.

Checked one out a few days ago...apart from a slightly lower roof (atleast it felt like it) it feels the same size as a Fit when you sit in and feel what is around you....didn't get to drive it. [OT; I wonder how much the Jade would cost when it makes it over here...they scrapped out the Stream in preparation for it...]

I think you should buy a Premio just so that we can see VVTi drive a Leyland truck...or was that Crosswinds :) So I take it you weren't overly impressed with the Vezel but left with a normal feeling about it :D

Personally I would go for either the Mazda 6 or the Premio on that list considering the parental factor....

C35 Medalist 25premiere edition

Packing an RB25DET under the bonnet :)

HOLY CRAP~! Buy it BUY IT! ( Okay I'm guessing VVTi is just having a laugh, but still what an awesome buy that would be. Plus its a Nissan!)

I'm guess I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and advise against the Mazda.

Its a little known fact that our household did have one (2012 Mazda 6) which was purchased based on my rental experience in the Mazda 3 and the amazing transmission that it comes with. (Yes, I DO buy brands other than Nissan's once in a while! More so now, since the Nissan agent is on my shit list ). The Mazda 6 was certainly fun to drive and was spec'd well (amazing value for money) but unfortunately it rusted like crazy! It developed more rust on it than some of the older more abused cars in our household and while the dealer/agent was pretty good at fixing the rust and discounting most of the cost, it was unacceptable. Plus as I could foresee more issues coming up I had to show it the door and sold it in part exchange for: *Drumroll....Another Nissan :)

(But kidding aside when the Mazda 6 was up on a lift the WHOLE underneath was a sea of rust red, while in comparison my current highway basher at the time had far less rust on it; despite it being used more and washed less. My mechanic seeing my distress brought out a can of rust-be-gone or whatever he had left over and sprayed underneath the front rocker panels to show me how it works. He then explained how he usually ends up rust proofing these cars every year for precisely this same reason, but really it was ridiculous. The car was almost brand new....)

Mazda swears up and down, left right and center that they have fixed their rust issues, but that's not what I found. So if you're seriously considering the Mazda then please do consider getting it up on a lift and inspected throughly and perhaps after that, an annual rust proofing session while you have it in the household.

Edited by Kavvz

Oh btw S_N does your family still have that Jeep Grand Cherokee? I remember urging you not buy it based on the interior quality / fit and finish and I'm curious to hear what you have to say about it after owning it for a while...

Edited by Kavvz

Not sure how it is compared to the FD but its not bad. also its 4WD

Not all Graces are 4WD. You get them in both FF and 4WD (the one I checked out was FF). Based on past experiences I think it is safe to say that the 4WD system is mainly for light snow driving :)

Hey so called Mr.Natural!!!!...I swear if you buy that Premio I'm never ever speaking to you again.On top of that I'm not sending you them funny cat pictures I found on the internet.Oh yes,one even has a kitty dressed like Bilbo Baggins...So there!Don't tell me I didn't warn you!

MD's not going to talk to you? >> All the more reason to get the Premio! I'm changing my vesi vote above to Premio! :D

Not all Graces are 4WD. You get them in both FF and 4WD (the one I checked out was FF). Based on past experiences I think it is safe to say that the 4WD system is mainly for light snow driving :)

ohhh i didnt know that, i have checked out 2 in kandy and kurunegala both were 4WD

Mazda 6 hands down.

Mid Size Car - So there is plenty of space compared to Premio.

Excellent Design - I guess it's the best looking out of the mid size Japanese lot.

Good Fuel Economy - with SkyActiv which should help in stop go traffic.

On a side note : There might be about 100k more to be added to the cost in terms of remaining semi-luxury tax.

Only downside might be the resale price and would have to depend on the agent for the parts.

Edited by B2Spirit

HOLY CRAP~! Buy it BUY IT! ( Okay I'm guess VVTi is just having a laugh here, but still what an awesome buy that would be. Plus its a Nissan!)

I'm guess I'm going to be the devils advocate here and advise against the Mazda.

Too late, she is off the market, boys.

Oooh...wasn't the Medalist 25 Premier Turbo limited in production ? for like a year or something ? The rest of the time wasn't it just the S Club that came with Turbo ?

The Premier had a limited run. The Laurel line ended after this model year I think.

So for the f**k of it they dropped the RB25DET NEO in it and gave it Traction control and an LSD... :)

S Club is a manual isn't it?

The Premier had a limited run. The Laurel line ended after this model year I think.

So for the f**k of it they dropped the RB25DET NEO in it and gave it Traction control and an LSD... :)

Woha! Talk about that model going out with a bang! Nice buy there VVTi.

S Club is a manual isn't it?

I think the S Clubs were all A/T as well. I think the Premier came between '99 and '01? I think the C35 continued till end of 2002 but more or less was an exercise of trimming out the car? I don't recall anything special after the Premier TURBO.

I think the S Clubs were all A/T as well. I think the Premier came between '99 and '01? I think the C35 continued till end of 2002 but more or less was an exercise of trimming out the car? I don't recall anything special after the Premier TURBO.

The C34 version even had the TT and AWD... the cheeky buggers... LOL

If i'm not mistaken they never did a manual (of the later cars) simply to avoid treading on the toes of the R34 Skyline sedan which was produced in parallel

Yep its optional, actually many JDM vehicles a 4WD/AWD variant but most of them don't make it to SL